거친 시작: Rough Beginnings

Without Hesitation

You've always hated this time of year; it was too cold, and with such harsh weather provoked the nostalgic flashbacks that you've always been known to abhor. With heavy arms you manage to find not only the strength but the motivation to grab your bag and head to class. Walking has become a chore, and maintaining your balance through the thick snow has also become a losing battle. "How can anyone love this time of year?" you repeatedly ask yourself while trudging through the furious white clumps of snow. As your thighs become frustrated, so do you. You begin to talk to yourself as you are known to do from time to time.

"How can anyone love this school," you question aloud, "or this neighborhood, or this life? How could anyone choose this--" Your brief filibuster was abruptly interrupted by the laughter of someone. Your head jerks behind you to notice a group of guys attempting to hold in their laughter at the site of you talking to yourself.

" Yah! Are you talking to yourself?!" one of the boys ask with confidence in his raspy yet familiar voice.

"W-What? No, I-I was talking to.. um," you desperately search for someone to help you out of this embarrassing situation only to find that you are, once again, all alone.

"She was talking to me" came a voice from around the bushes. You jump from the shock of his uplifting appearance, and try to make it seem as though you had hiccupped so that the others don't catch on.

He was the one guy in the entire school who was always there for you. Even though you two barely knew one another, just about every time you were pushed into a corner, he was always there to help you out of it. Maybe it was due to the undeniable amount of sympathy he felt for you. But whatever the excuse, you were glad that he, once again, showed up in the nick of time to save you.

What was the name of such a heroic acquaintance who you continuously ran into. Well, he was no other than the infamous Kim Myungsoo.

________________

 "Now, if you'll excuse us, we'll be heading off to class, isn't that right _______ah?"

All of the boys heads jolted in your direction for confirmation to Myungsoo's comment but you where still focused on his abrupt entrance. When you finally came to your senses you could see all of the boys, along with Myungsoo, waiting for your answer.

"O-Oh, yeah right, I was talking to Myungsoo." you announance. The boys seem to be satisfied with your answer and take it as their queue to leave. You also begin to strut ahead leaving Myungsoo behind. As he notices he attempts to speed up to you and spark a conversation.

"So ________ah, how have you been lately?"

"Fine."

"Oh. Well, you ready for that test in englsih today? I heard it was 6 pages long."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Well, I'm not. I didn't really have much time to study." he says as he reaches his hand toward the back of his head to give it a scratch. You attempt to hold in your laughter as you notice how naive he is. He notices.

"So.. uhh I guess I'll see you around then." he announces seeing how you aren't really responding to his attempt at a conversation.

"Yeah, see yah" you whisper. Your hand tries to jerk up for a wave, but your fear gets the best of you.

As you continue your strenuous walk to school you watch Myungsoo walk up to a gang of guys and squeeze his way into their group. The warm welcoming and laughter can be heard miles away. You try to stroll past Myungsoo's crew without glancing over, but you find the task too hard to begin to look over your shoulder only to notice how happy he seemed. You wish you had that; the happiness I mean, and the friends. Hell, anyone decent to communicate with would be nice.

You used to have Suzy, your best friend, until she had to move due to her fathers new job. Even though she worked at the coffee shop that was just around the corner from where you lived, you could tell that you're relationship with her wasn't the same. She had found a new group of friends and was beginning to find less and less reasons to hang out with you. Although she never said it, you could tell Suzy didn't seem to enjoy your company as much as she used to. You wished that she was here to cheer you up with one of her witty sayings. Though she was a tad loquacious, she always meant well.

As you step into the building you can't help but to wonder what lies ahead. With hesitation you begin to ease your way over to your locker, as you opened it you were welcomed by the warm embrace of a chemistry book, your jacket, and some dust. Whoopie. You let out a heavy sigh and say to yourself, "I guess I should get going," closing your locker and stumbling off to class. As you pass by all of the overwhelming groups of kids laughing together you can't help but to feel sorry for yourself. But, at least you had AP English to look forward to. Since you had a thing for writing, you knew you'd pass that intimidating exam that everyone else was so worried about.

_______________________________

Making your way to class you see Mrs. Heechul, your english teacher, as she nods to you; you make an effort to awkwardly smile her way.

"Are you ready for todays exam ___________?"

"As ready as I'll ever be Mrs. Heechul." you reply

She giggles at your remark as you ease your way into the classroom. Once inside you can see Myungsoo and a bunch of his friends cramming in some last minute information for the test. You smile and let out a little snicker at his panicking face. His head bolts in your direction with a strong glare making your head instantly snap to your desk. Everyone seemed so stressed about this exam, everyone except for you that is. Since you didn't want to look like you were overconfident, you took out some old notes and carefully glanced over them to pass the time. They weren't really much help since you already knew just about everything on the paper, but it definitely kept you occupied.

Once the bell rang, Mrs. Heechul came in and wasted no time explaining to us how plagiarism and cheating were not aloud and all of the other obvious rules and regulations that the average teacher informs students of before passing out test. As she slammed the thick packets of paper on each students desk you could hear gulps from every direction. You glance over toward Myungsoo to see how he's doing. He looks extremely intimidated, he notices you staring at him and makes an effort to throw you a quick thumbs up before putting all of his concentration into his test.

"Okay class," Mrs. Heechul began, "this test should take you all hour so don't worry about being late and make sure to take your time. You have 50 minutes, you may begin."

A collective sound of papper ruffling can be heard as each student begins their test. '50 minutes huh?' you thought to yourself.

20 minutes in and you were done with the entire thing. As you looked at the clock you realized that you had over 30 minutes left and decided to double check your work before you turned it in hoping that by that time you wouldn't be the only one done. But you were.

Your eyes glanced over the room to see how far the other students were, 'they're only on the third page!' you thought. You slowly raised your flimsly hand for your teacher to collect your test while in the background you could hear an uproar of gasps and comments.

"She's already done!" One girl shouted.

You're head sinks into your shoulders as you attempt to make as little eye contact with others than you need to.

" __________, are you sure you're done?" Mrs. Heechul asks in amazement.

"Yeah, I've checked it like three times. I'm pretty sure I passed." you reply with a comforting smile.

"You know once you turn it in you can't get it back sweety."

"Yeah, I-I know."

"Well, ookay"

As she takes your test to her desk you can see Myungsoo staring at you. But it was a different type of stare; he didn't seem angry or mysterious, but worried. You attempt to smile at him but he snaps back to his test. You slowly put your head on your cold welcoming desk and doze off hoping not to break out into a heavy snore.

_________________________

You're woken by an irratating poke at your shoulder. As you slowly lift your drozy head  to see who dared to interrupt your slumber, you're welcomed by Mrs. Heechul's excited face. She seemed happy about something. Although you could see moving you couldn't make out what she was attempting to say.

"W-Wait, what?" you ask with an slurred expression

"You got 100%! This hasn't happened before, you're the first! _________, you should be extremely proud of yourself!!"

You felt the classrooms envious eyes attacking you as Mrs. Heechul went on about your amazing score. Even though you knew that you should be proud, you couldn't help but to feel somewhat like a freak.

"Yeah, thanks." you calmly reply trying to remember why it was that you liked this class so much.

After all of the other students turned in their test they wasted no time in hovering over your desk begging to see your results. As they passed your accomplishment around the class for admiring you could feel someones eyes on you. You slowly turn to see that Myungsoo was right behind you. As you jump he chuckles and begins to scratch his head.

"Hey ________ah, sorry to startle you," he began "congrats on your test."

"Oh, t-thanks Myungsoo. How did you do on your test?" you timidly ask

"I got a C-." he shamefully admits. You felt bad for asking seeing how it was truly none of your business what he scored.

"Well, at least you passed." Your weak attempt at cheering him up seemed to work somewhat.

"Yeah, that's true. So.." his voice began to trail off, worrying you a bit. "You think you could kind of like... I don't know, I mean if you aren't busy.."

"What?" you impatiently ask

"I don't know... maybe be my tutor.. I mean you seem to be really good at this whole english thing." he sheepishly adds

You blush at his confession and attempt to sound as professional as possible.

"Well, I think I could fit some tutoring into my schedule." you answer.

"Really? Oh, great! I could really use your help ________ah!"

'He could use my help?!' you thought to yourself. You began to chuckle at the thought of Myungsoo, one of the schools most popular guys needing help from you.

"So.. when should we meet up?" He ask.

"I don't know, how's this weekend sound?"

"That's cool. Where? I mean we could go to my house, the library, or even the--"

"How bout my place?" you announce without thinking. Myungsoo seems a tad shocked at your abrupt suggestion, but goes along.

"Sure. That's sounds great."

"Yep."

"Yep."

The air is still between you two as you attempt to find something interesting to add to your conversation.

"So, I guess I'll see you around then." he awkward replies. Guess you missed your chance to add something interesting.

"Yeah.. see yah." you whisper as he begins to stroll away.  You try once more to jerk you hand up for a wave, but fear wins again.

______________________

"Way to go __________!" you scream to yourself on your walk home. "You've just managed to invite one of the schools coolest guys to where? YOU'RE HOUSE!! What in the world were you thinking?" You continuously slam your chemistry book aganist your head as you cross the street.

"What am I going to do? My house is horrible. Now I have to cook and clean and organize everything for our dat-"

You cut yourself off with the most amazing thought. You hadn't really realized, but technically speaking.. this was kind of (in a weird way) a date.

"Oh my god!" you announce slapping your hands to your face. "I have to get ready for our date!"

 

____________________________

A/N: I really hope you guys enjoyed my first chapter. Again I TRULY APOLOGIZE for any spelling or other grammatical errors that you may come across. If you have any comments or advice you'd like to add, I'd love to hear it. Hope you all have a nice day.