Plaster

Paper Mâché

4.
 

In high school, there are two types of people that fall under the term ‘popular’.

Kai happens to fall under the first type where everyone knows who he is despite him attempting to close himself off from them. He does absolutely nothing, yet his name is spoken in several conversations across several times of the day. Kyungsoo admits that if he squints a little, he understands why Kai falls under the type-one category. For one, Kai is mysterious and for two (and most importantly), Kai is ridiculously handsome. Yup, that’s all it really takes. 1+1 and instant popularity. Girls gossip and fawn while boys grumble and glare.  

The second type of ‘popular’ would be the stereotypical definition that goes with your high school teen movies. It’s similar to some sort of private club, where only the good looking and trendy can join. Please note: being a pleasant person is not a requirement to be in said club. Overall, it’s a crowd you love to hate and hate to love. Unlike type-one, anyone under the type-two category works hard to maintain their ‘popular’ image. They must always remain on top of the fashion and social trends or else risk expulsion from the group.

The two types either interact swimmingly or they clash heads like no other. However, when they clash heads, it’s mostly one-sided and is initiated from type-two’s side. A fine example of this would be the group of male classmates sitting and chatting behind Kyungsoo’s desk. The leader of the group was currently wasting his time by hissing Kai’s name, bad mouthing and spreading lies about him. The leader’s followers hopelessly go along with his words and eagerly egg him on. Kyungsoo just thinks the leader needs to grow up and get over his insecurities.

“Hey Kyungsoo!” A voice boomed from behind him. Kyungsoo winces and looks up from his homework that was due the next day. He turns around despite his inner will not to and looks to the voice that called upon him.

It was the leader of the type-two crowd and he was smirking at Kyungsoo from across the room, “you seem like a nice guy, join us after school at the arcades,” the leader more demanded than asked.

Even with Kyungsoo’s second rule aside, Kyungsoo very much would rather the bottom of his own shoes than think of spending his free time with the stuck up morons behind him.

Kyungsoo feels his lips form into a familiar and fake apologetic smile, “Sorry man, I’ve got to get home right after school. ‘Rents want me to run some errands for them.”

The smirk on the leader’s face faltered due to the unusual rejection, “then swing by when you’re done,” the leader concluded before a teacher marched in, signaling the end of homeroom. Kyungsoo turns around in his seat and faces the teacher just in time to conceal his impulsive eye rolling. What an arrogant prick, he thought. 

The period went by as it always did. Although one exciting event was when Kyungsoo met eyes with a passing Kai (who was maybe on his way to the washroom) and was given a barely noticeable nod of acknowledgement. Kyungsoo immediately turns away and prays no one else noticed.

“Where you going, Kyungsoo?” the pack leader’s voice shouted just before Kyungsoo left the classroom with his lunchbox and book in hand.  

“Just finding a quiet place to read and eat,” Kyungsoo lifts his book to add to his statement before he zooms out, ignoring his name being called after him.

Kyungsoo climbed onto the roof of the old storage building and got under his newly decorated box. Although not as pretty as Kai’s, it was definitely an improvement from his usual plain box. With the sunroof open, he reads through his book while nibbling on his sandwich. A knock is heard from outside the box. Kyungsoo pops the box’s side window open and allows his lunch to be visible.

“I have pineapple today,” Kyungsoo says and points to the container that held said pineapple pieces.

“And I have a question.”

Kyungsoo slowly puts his lunch down and finds himself staring into Kai’s hesitant gaze. It made him nervous. This was new.  

Kai his lips and looks away, “I want to buy some more supplies for my box after school. I thought that maybe you could come too, but only if you want to.”

Kyungsoo froze. He knows he’s staring Kai down and it’s probably making him uncomfortable, but Kyungsoo can’t help it. He’s surprised. He didn’t expect an invite from Kai. He thought he didn’t have to worry about those types of issues with Kai. Kai was supposed to be Mr. Loner Artist and loners aren’t supposed to ask others to join them in buying supplies after school. They just don’t.

“You don’t have to answer right now,” Kai’s voice cut through Kyungsoo’s reeling thoughts, “tell me before lunch ends, okay?”  Kyungsoo silently watches as Kai turns away from him and goes to his own box. Kai is out of sight within a few seconds.

The usual excuses run through Kyungsoo's mind. He has errands to run. His parents need him at home. He has a lot of homework to do. His mother’s sick. He’s sick. All Kyungsoo had to do was open his mouth and it's an almost sure thing that one of the excuses will pour out. However, something was preventing him from doing so.

Small fact: Kyungsoo’s favourite novels are mysteries. He likes how everything connects in the end.

Kai is starting to become a little of a mystery to Kyungsoo and a part of him wants to solve it like so many detectives do in his favourite books.

To begin his investigation, Kai isn’t the typical loner that Kyungsoo’s used to observing in previous schools. The main evidence behind this statement being that Kai is seemingly trying to befriend Kyungsoo. Which also brings to mind, why the heck was Kai interested in Kyungsoo of all people? Sure, Kyungsoo may be a little different with his box complex but there was more to it than that...right?

Sadly, Kyungsoo’s thoughts run out of fuel when he can’t think of any other reasons for why Mr. Type-One-Popularity is paying him any heed.  It’s not like Kyungsoo had exactly been the most friendly or approachable. Kyungsoo is stumped. It reminds him a lot of when investigator's leads go dry.

Kyungsoo does recollect that when investigators are stuck, they usually just investigate somewhere else. In this real life investigation, Kyungsoo has nowhere else to go besides getting closer to Kai.

The bell rings, telling the boys that lunch has ended and that it was time to go back to class. Kyungsoo quickly races out of his box before Kai is able to.

“Meet me at the gates,” Kyungsoo says loud and clearly to Kai’s box before he rushes to the ladder and climbs down it.

Kai does meet Kyungsoo at the school’s gates after school ends. Kyungsoo is mindful of the watching eyes and remains a few steps behind Kai as they walk down the sidewalk together. Kai has large headphones over his ears and doesn’t speak to Kyungsoo. They remain like that until they catch a bus. Kyungsoo sits down next to Kai, vaguely taking notice of their thighs lightly brushing against each other.

The ride is quiet and Kai is very much fascinated by what’s beyond the window next to him while Kyungsoo is fascinated by the advertisements pasted on the panels above his head. He doesn’t really get out much, so it’s interesting for him. 

Kai pulls down the wire to signal the bus to stop and nudges Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo gets up and they exit the bus when it stops. They walked through a busy shopping district before arriving to a decent sized arts shop.

Kai removes his headphones and acknowledges Kyungsoo for the first time since they left school, “Red or blue?” Kai asks as they stand in front of a shelf carrying different types of paint tubes. Kyungsoo looks through the selection after shooting Kai a curious stare.

“Blue.”

“Good choice,” Kai smiles and picks up a royal blue tube, “now, pick another.”

“Why?” Kyungsoo finds the will to ask as he blinks to Kai with a look of confusion.

“Less questions, more choosing.”

Kyungsoo sighs and points to a forest green tube. Kai nods and picks it up before he walks away. Kyungsoo trudges after him and finds himself stopped behind Kai as he observes a series of different sketch books.

“Which one?” Kai asks, lifting three different covers. Kyungsoo glances over the selection before he looks to the shelf and picks up a sketch book with a white cover.

“This one,” he says, feeling proud of his small defiance. Kai pinches his eyebrows together while tilting his head.

“Why white?”

“Something else to draw on,” Kyungsoo retorts smartly.

Kai’s smile only widens exponentially. He immediately puts his three options away and takes the white sketch book from Kyungsoo’s hands, “I’m surprised, it seems you know me better than myself.”

Kyungsoo chooses to say nothing back.

Kai and Kyungsoo don’t pick up anything else. However, Kyungsoo does remain in a section that houses a dozen different types of small pinwheels for a time longer than necessary. He found one particular colourful pinwheel that he thinks would look nice attached to his box. Too bad Kyungsoo didn’t have that much money to spend on trivial items. Kai watches as Kyungsoo blows into the pinwheel one last time before they go to the check out.

They walk through the shopping district and Kyungsoo is surprised when Kai takes an unexpected turn into a fast food restaurant. As they enter, the scents hit Kyungsoo’s senses and his stomach thanks Kai for bringing his body there.

After a few more minutes and a little less spending money, Kyungsoo and Kai are sitting down at a booth for two. Kyungsoo munches on some overly salty fries while eyeing Kai who is nearly drowning his own fries in ketchup.

“Why?”

Kai stops dunking a fry and blinks up to Kyungsoo, “Why what?”  

“Why…why did you ask me to come with you today?”

“I needed a second opinion,” Kai smoothly replies and eats the fry whole.

“Why not one of your friends?”

“I don’t have any.”

Ah, at least Kyungsoo could rule out the thought of Kai having friends outside of school.

“Why me?” Kyungsoo asks finally and is surprised to feel as if a weight had lifted off his shoulders. The question had been burning inside him the entire outing and he was pleased to have it out in the open.

Kai pauses before he tosses the fry he held onto his tray and wiped his mouth clean with a napkin, “I don’t know.” Kai says, not looking at Kyungsoo, “you’re just different.”

“How?”

“Well, you spend your lunch breaks in a box,” Kai cracks a smile.

Kyungsoo only frowns back, “but there’s more to it than that, isn’t there?”

“Sure but, it’s not something I can easily put into words,” Kai leans back and stares out the window next to them, “you’re different. I feel like I could get along with you and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way toward anyone.”

Kyungsoo sighs before he returns a reply, “I still don't get it. I may like boxes more than the average person, but I’m really not that much different from others.”

“That’s bull,” Kai snorts and plays with some fries sprawled across their shared tray, “you can think what you want from it, but I think we could be friends.”

“I’m not sure about that,” Kyungsoo somewhat mumbles under his breath, half intending for it to be heard.

This time, Kai is the one frowning, “and why not?”

“It’ll just be easier on both of us if you leave me alone after this,” Kyungsoo explains with another sigh and starts making a square shape out of some fries.

“Why’s that?” Kai asks and adds two fries to make a triangle on top Kyungsoo’s fry box and it almost appears as if it were a house with a roof.

“I’m not going to be around all that long,” Kyungsoo takes a stray fry and makes it walk out of the fry house.

“Then we better make the most of our time together,” Kai reaches over to take the walking fry from Kyungsoo’s hand and chomps down on it.

They enter a staring contest of sorts. Kyungsoo tries to read Kai’s eyes. They’re serious. And they’re relentless. Thus, Kyungsoo loses the contest and his first ‘friendship’ in many years magically formed.  

Kai and Kyungsoo take a bus back home together and chat about some less meaningful things. Kyungsoo finds out Kai only lives three blocks away from him after he half-seriously asks if Kai was following him home.  

He’s reminded of what friendship felt like on that night. He hated to admit it, but he did miss it. The telling of light jokes and having decent conversations with someone not related by blood was refreshing. Kyungsoo knew it would eventually go downhill, but he convinced himself that he wouldn’t end up hurt in the end. He’d be prepared and Kai would be prepared as well. It’ll be easy to cut their ties. It’ll be okay.

The next day, Kai arrives to Kyungsoo’s class during homeroom. He steals the attention of the room as he strolls into it and waltzes right up to Kyungsoo’s desk. He places the very colourful pinwheel Kyungsoo was playing with the day previous right on top of Kyungsoo’s notebook.  

“I went back and got it for you,” Kai smiles gently, “see you at lunch.” And he leaves. Kyungsoo stares down at the pinwheel with wonder.

A tingle pierces into the back of Kyungsoo’s head. When he sees the reason behind the pressure was due to the eyes of the ‘popular’ leader in his class, Kyungsoo is reminded of his second rule and why he probably shouldn’t have broken it with Kai.
 



(Revised chapter 9/07)
Ello! You guys are trrrrrrooooooppppers. Thanks for waiting <3 I've been busy with work lately (excuses?). I also have another fic that I'm finishing up, so once that's done I'll be able to pay more attention to this one. Anyways, moving on.
GAHHHHH, I passed a 100 subs on three measley chapters. You guys are incredible. Thank you so much :') 
Story discussing: Kai and Kyungsoo have began becoming friends. I hope I wrote that progression out okay. I'm trying not to rush things too quickly. :)
Also, I'm Canadian. It's Canada day now. Soo Happy Canada day to me and any other Canadian readers <3 Um, if there are other holidays today, I wish that you celebrate it appropriately (too lazy to google and find out).

Off I go to reply to comments nooooww:

@Dibidis - Score, readerxcharacter connection goal = succeeded. :D Ah, yes. I don't really have those types of friends on AFF. So, I'm relying on my trusty readers and see if anyone is interested. I'm so thankful a few have answered the call and is willing to be a grammar nazi for me <3 And thanks for your comment, it really tells me I'm making the right decision in trying to get a beta XP
@woobabylove0904 - Lol, yeahhh. I'm making Kyungsoo a little depressing. I know the story's concept is cute, but I wanted to dampen it with Kyungsoo's attitude and situation. "Slice of life" feelish is my ideal right now? We'll see how he changes with and/or without Kai's help. LOL, maybe his mom will and maybe she won't. I ain't saying anything. :P
@siahna - :D Yayy, glad you think so. I KNOW. Gif was genius.
@Drawingfishies - D: Omg, thank you for taking such measures to read the last chapter. <3 And thank youuu for you comment, so nice, too nice :') I feel so undeserving of such praises *bows*. Ohhh, I wish I could dream of Kaisoo too. That would be some real sweet dreams lol. 
@PurpleSwils - Lol, I might I might not try and read it if it's short.But I'm really bad at remembering stuff like that. LOL, I didn't think you meant it that way, I was just joking around XP LOL, I'm glad you liked that Kai made his own box :D I couldn't help it :)
@taesteful - Lol, I'm glad you think so ^^
@iLLiad - *fist pumps of success* Yeshh, I'm glad :D. And I do have to agree with you, a good author can make like anything work. Glad you liked the last update and I hope you like this one too ;)
@MrsKkamJong - LOL, I wonder how you'll react to this update then. And I want you to fall in love with them, that's like the best thing you could tell me :'). THankkkk you. LOL, "NOW KISS" macro/meme comes to mind. BAHAHA, I shall keep my lips sealed on any future events in this fic. Teehee, I'll let your imagination run wilddd ~~
@Lullycream - Are you done your exams now? If you are, congrats! If not, keep fighting on!! Lol, I made Kyungsoo a little sulky, like a child with his favourite blanket teehee. LOL, secret passion for bickering. Maybe, maybe. Hopefully, the progression this update is all right for youuu. Much love readernim bisoux xoxox
@IshidaMichaelis -Lol, I would be so unworthy of such an award, I thank you. YOUR COMMENT IS ENOUGH AND MOREE <3 Mhm, if you liked that 'warmth' I hope you liked this update :) LOL, I got an idea for the , but you know I got write everything out and sometimes things change. Ohh well, I'll write it the best I can and I hope you will like it when it's outt 
@missEe502 - Lolll, I know this update still leaves some things up in the air but, I hope /som/ things are answered. Omo, sleeeeepppp. Unworthy? Never! I will accept even a dot (Chen reference FTW?) happily. <3 Thanks a bunch Zheeeee <3333
@summerdrag - And thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you like how I'm protraying them and their growing relationship :) I wanted to venture away from the typical "I'm a y playboy" Kai and "shy nerdboy" Kyungsoo. Although, I still have characterization left for both of them in order for that last statement to be more true. lol. Anyways, hope this chapter wasn't too fast for progression for you.
@lovefaith - :D Glad someone liked the flowers :) LOL, gifs of Kai being all "Imma wreck your innocence D.O" are the best and funniest. Psssst, love youu moree xoxox
@myloveisinfinitex3 - Lol, I admire your specialness. I definitely approve *thumbs up*. And no problem! I personally like to reply and like it when authors reply so yeah :)
@DBSKforever5 - Ahaha, that's I guess the idea of the boxes? Makeshift mini homes? Kai's a weirdo though with his weird rooff. Glad you liked the last chapter and  I hope you like this one^^
@Serene - Ahaha, niccce. Yeah, the folding flaps was hard to describe. I searched foreva for that picture at the beginning of the chapter, hoping it would help visually (me+describing things=y). 
@ExoticVIP - If I actually urge someone to do an arts and crafts project because of this, I will seriously feel accomplished. LOL. Thankies for your support <3

 AND that's it! Thank you to all commenters, subscribers, readers and what have you. You are alllll amazing. So yeah. I'm off to bed now Loooovvve you all <3