Doorstep

Paper Mâché

Epilogue.

 

The following weeks were along the lines of chaos (in Kyungsoo’s opinion).

Indecisiveness and reluctance hung through the Do household as his parents’ departure drew closer. As a friendly reminder to his parents, Kyungsoo gave them a certain look from a certain angle, to tell them that they had made their decision and they weren’t allowed to go back on it. There was no way and no how Kyungsoo would just let that happen. He tried to display his independence by cleaning meticulously and doing chores in excess. I am responsible, he wanted to tell his parents through his actions. I’ll be fine on my own.

As if his parents weren’t frustrating enough, Kai was being too unpredictable for Kyungsoo to handle. Having been thoroughly embarrassed by him once before when meeting Kai's parents, Kyungsoo was doomed to be mortified when Kai arrived one night looking quite sharp and neatly put together. He greeted Kyungsoo with a kiss to the forehead and lightly pushed Kyungsoo further into his house. Kyungsoo spluttered words to convey his confusion and he sincerely hoped that it would elicit a response. However, when Kai found Kyungsoo's parents and interlaced their fingers in front of them, Kyungsoo knew the answer behind the visit and flushed several different shades of red.

His parents were shocked and Kyungsoo didn’t blame them. It wasn’t an average occurrence to have your son’s classmate simply show up and introduce himself as your son’s not-so-secret boyfriend. Kyungsoo wished Kai would have at least notified him of his plan. In all honesty, Kyungsoo swore he was going to tell his parents right after they left. Then, that would give them time to gather their thoughts and, most importantly, there would be no awkward tension for Kyungsoo to deal with before they moved.

After reassuring Kyungsoo’s parents that they were leaving him in good hands, Kai was forcefully led out by Kyungsoo and was given a light hearted beating. Kai managed to still the explosively ranting Kyungsoo with a tender embrace before leaving him to fume on his doorstep.

And then there was complete silence for a week. His parents didn’t know how to talk to or even look at him. It was when they were packing up the moving truck that his mother finally spoke to him. She told him that his boyfriend seemed like a nice boy and that she was happy that she wasn’t truly leaving Kyungsoo alone. She kissed his cheeks and whispered her goodbyes. Maybe a few tears were shed, Kyungsoo wasn’t really sure because his mother turned away too fast for him to see. His father gave him a stiff nod with a grim expression. An awkward slap on the shoulder was how he wished him goodbye and Kyungsoo thought it was plenty more than what he hoped for. Kyungsoo could only silently watch as his family drove away not long after the moving truck.

His heart was heavy and the first day alone made him feel as empty as the house. He was eating his dinner off the kitchen counter when the doorbell rang. Confusion soon turned to excited urgency as Kyungsoo clumsily placed his plate down and ran to the door. He swung it open and was greeted by a smirking Kai carrying a backpack.

It's safe to say that Kai spent the night "comforting" Kyungsoo.

Later on, Kyungsoo looked through the university pamphlets his parents picked out with Kai by his side. Kyungsoo was lucky enough to see that one of the universities offered a well-established and professional investigation program.  Unfortunately that’s where his luck ended because the program accepted only a small amount of applicants and only the best of the best got in. So, Kyungsoo worked himself to the bone in order to increase his marks (which was increasingly difficult with Kai sticking around and being his distracting self).

Kai was there when he received his letter. Kyungsoo forced him to read it first, unable to bear the thought of his possible rejection. His heart sank when Kai’s expression went blank and he slowly lowered the paper after reading its content. Ah, so he didn’t make it, Kyungsoo thought as his throat constricted. But then a gigantic smile stretched onto Kai’s lips and Kyungsoo knew at that moment that Kai was pulling his leg. A mixture of anger and joy made Kyungsoo tackle Kai to the ground. They rolled around and wrestled with Kai’s laughter roaring over Kyungsoo’s mutterance of threats. Soon their bodies just lay together on the floor with smiles refusing to leave their faces.

His parents visited him as soon as they received the news. His mother made his favourite meal and his father bought his favourite dessert. When they were finishing a deliciously crafted raspberry chocolate mousse cake, the doorbell rang.

It was Kai. Of course it was Kai. It should be known by now that Kai was going to stir up trouble again.  Just like the previous times, Kai decided plans all on his own and didn’t bother consulting Kyungsoo about them whatsoever. Confronting his parents about their relationship was one not-so-minor and embarrassing situation; telling them that Kai and Kyungsoo were going to live together after graduation was a different kind of event altogether.

Kyungsoo quickly dragged Kai away before his parents could break out of their dumbstruck states. He wondered if Kai had masochistic tendencies because it seemed like he was always asking for a beating. Kyungsoo smacked him upside the head, asking what on earth he was thinking. He scolded Kai on manners and introduced the term “permission” and how he should definitely try it out sometime. Kai decided to utilize this new knowledge and properly asked if Kyungsoo would live with him.

Kyungsoo declined his offer in spite.

It took weeks of Kai’s nagging and pleas in order to get Kyungsoo to finally cave and agree. His parents took even longer to accept the idea. How was he going to pay for rent? Obviously he would get a job. How was he going to balance work and school? Well, Kyungsoo thought he was more than capable to work and study at the same time; if others could do it, so could he.  After scoping out and finding a reasonably priced apartment placed conveniently in between both Kai’s and Kyungsoo’s universities, his parents reluctantly agreed.

After that, all they had to do was graduate, and a couple of weeks later, they did.  

The graduation ceremony in itself was boring as hell. Speech after sentimental speech, inspiring quote after quote, some smiles here and tears there, don’t forget the long wait to walk up and receive the damn paper.  When the ceremony finally ended, Kyungsoo nearly tore off his sauna of a gradation gown. He eventually found Kai in the crowd and they celebrated by hugging each other tightly and smiling a mile wide. It was done. High school was done. No more school transfers. No more bratty teens. No more being the new kid. It was a new change for Kyungsoo, and a very welcomed one at that.

Together, Kai and Kyungsoo packed their things and moved to the big city a few hours away. Their apartment was small but it had potential. Kai decided to fully bring out that potential with various art projects. Paper mâché figurines covered the floating shelves Kyungsoo helped install. Large and colourful paintings covered unsightly plaster damage they didn’t have the money to fix.  Numerous origami shapes and pinwheels were strung from the ceiling in their shared bedroom.  The main attraction out of the entire apartment was the large mural hanging right above the couch in the living room.  It was a streaky depiction of a black cat snoozing underneath a warm sun’s rays.

Kai found part time employment at a nearby art store he had visited with Kyungsoo the first day they arrived. Feeling extra determined to pull his weight, Kyungsoo searched high and low for job opportunities. He figured it wouldn’t have hurt to try and apply for a position at a nearby library. Kyungsoo was pleasantly surprised when he received a phone call a few days later stating that his application was accepted and that his first shift was the very next evening.  

School soon starts and Kyungsoo had never felt so content in his life. He never thought it was possible. Kyungsoo thought he would go on through life without purpose or control. His life would be driven by the decisions made by others. Forever, that wall between his guarded and true self would remain. Kyungsoo knew that wall would have stood tall until his true self would eventually and completely disintegrate.

But that doesn’t happen. Kai helped Kyungsoo see that he was allowed to have a voice. Kai helped Kyungsoo realize his true wants, desires and dreams, and how to act upon them. It was his life and he was free to do as he pleased. And Kyungsoo certainly did just that.

Kyungsoo was pleased to wake up curled next to Jongin. He was pleased to eat discounted cereal with Jongin in the mornings. He was pleased to walk with Jongin to the bus stop before they went their separate ways. He was pleased to find Jongin waiting for him at home with an attempt at dinner on the table, and he was pleased to fall asleep in Jongin's arms. It's within those arms that Kyungsoo feels the most content.

When Kai asked Kyungsoo if he wanted to bring their box along after graduation, Kyungsoo declined. It was time for a new chapter in Kyungsoo’s life and the box was part of a past Kyungsoo wanted to move away from. Although their box in particular had many memories stuck to it, it didn’t hold the same importance to Kyungsoo. It wasn’t a necessity anymore. There was the realization that, from then on, he did not need boxes.  He no longer had to have those tan walls around him in order to feel calm or to grasp what familiarity was. Even long before the move Kyungsoo understood that all of those feelings and needs were transferred elsewhere. A malleable brown box morphed into a dark haired boy with a warm smile and charcoal smudged fingers.

With Jongin by his side, Kyungsoo would always and truly be home

 


(Chapter revised 29/11)

Cue the ugly sobbing.
Really. I can't. It's done. It's really done (and um, yeah, sorry for the long wait!). 
I guess I have a few things to say about this story in general. So, here's my blurb.
One thing: This story was three times longer than originally planned. I added a lot of stuff in there and changed my plotline a few times to make things work better. This was one of the main reasons behind my revision of the earlier chapters. Not a huge revision but I feel like the story flows a little better now. (Although I still have a bit more reivision to do)
Two: Being a writer, and I'm sure other writers can relate, I feel like I can always do a lot better. This story has been a great learning curve for me. I feel I've improved a lot from my previous writings but I still have a long way to go. I hope in the future I can continue growing my writing skills using AFF and that everyone will not be afraid to give me their honest critique. I write mostly for myself and sometimes grammar and carefully proofreading isn't my main concern. Which brings me to my next point:
Three: SIAHNA. My proofreader, beta and (can I call you?) friend. I guarantee you that it's because of her that half of you are sticking around. No really. I am such a half- proof reader. Not only did she correct my errors, I also consulted her on a few matters regarding the plot and she really and truly helped shape this story to the way it is. And for all of that, I thank her a thousand times over.

And of course....most importantly,
Four:
Thank you. 
Ahem, yes you there behind that screen. Thank you for reading. I'm so happy you've made it this far through the story and I hope you liked it in all of its entirety. I thank every one whose ever subscribed, commented, tweeted, tumblr posted, recommended and/or simply gave this story a shot. I really thank you. You have all been very supportive and your compliments and critiques were awesome motivators. No really, I would be the car and you guys would be 3/4 of the fuel. I did not think I would get...um, this many subscribers. Really did not see that coming. (I know I'll lose a few now that this is done :( Oh well). So yes, most importantly please know how thankful I am! 

Also, I see from the last update I made, AFF has added the "reply to comment" button. Can I get a HALLELUJAH?! Omg, comment replies made easy. Omg. Awesome. I'm just. Ugh. So happy. 

AND. OOOOOOOOFFFFTT. I'm like a sobbing mess (internally...). So. I got this wallpost from the wonderful SunaoTeam saying she made the Kaisoo box...and she took pictures. ifohdoissidhfoidshgufdgifodsoisdjhgiodhijfdghdknjmvfnjdmkfvbdjkgwertyuiklxcvbnm,xcvbnasdfertyuikbgfvcxdcftvgybhnjkmhgfvjbnuifgsd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I exploded. 
I was an inch away from death. Happiness can kill someone I swear. Can you even-I can't believe she did. But ofmygod, here's the proof. I'm just so happy.

I don't think I can thank SunaoTeam enough. It's so amazing. It included the pinwheels, the roof, the sun and although hard to see, the cat as well! Of course that chibi Kai and D.O is to die for. She single handedly tossed me to death's door...but I suppose it wasn't my time yet. 
Okay. I'm done being a sap. Thanks for reading everyone! But before I go...


Sobs. Kaisoo, why so perfect and obviously legitimate?

One more thing: Siahna and I have created a little something here on AFF. Well, mostly credits to her! It was her idea, I'm mostly cruising along for the ride. Anyways, it's a Fan Fiction Recommendation List! Basically, any sort of good story be it: long, short, canon, AU, crack pairing, angst, fluffy and ty can be featured on our list! We both know how tiring it gets looking for good stories, so we thought this might be helpful! It's still under construction considering it's the beginning of the school year and we've been a little on the busy side. But, things should be up and running soon!

So why not check it out and subscribe? 

The Cute, y, and Twisted - AFF Recommendations

GOOOO!