Jealousy?

Hogwarts: A different life

Erato had become a rather permanent fixture in Seungri’s life. It took him only until just before Christmas break to make it seem like it wasn’t completely awkward for him to want her to hang out with him and Daesung, or just him, on the weekends or after classes. Daesung was rather quiet about the whole topic, and though he wrote letters to the other three constantly, especially to Seunghyun, he couldn’t find it in him to let any of them know his thoughts on the matter.

It would have been easier on him if Youngbae didn’t have a crush on the girl, because then he would have felt completely comfortable talking to Youngbae about the fact that he was fairly certain that Seungri had a crush on her. Unfortunately, that would be a rather uncomfortable conversation, so Daesung had to leave it alone.

It was time for Christmas shopping in Hogsmeade, and it was an extra special weekend (not that any of the other Hogsmeade weekends were any less special, really) because this time Jiyong was able to make an appearance. Both Seunghyun and Youngbae had jobs in Hogsmeade, while Jiyong worked in Diagon Alley. Seunghyun worked at Maestro’s Music shop, while Youngbae was the host of his own radio show at the Hogsmeade branch of the Wizarding Wireless. Because of this, sometimes the two of them happened to be in Hogsmeade during a visiting weekend, so the four friends were able to reunite and hang out.

However, wonder upon wonders, this weekend none of them had to work, so all three were able to come to town to meet up with their two younger friends to do a little shopping. Erato had tried really hard to back out of the trip; Daesung truly felt sorry for her. Seungri had remind blissfully unaware of how sincerely she didn’t want to go with them, or at least Daesung hoped that Seungri was unaware, because Erato was clearly uncomfortable.

They met up with the three older boys almost immediately upon entering the little town. Jiyong had been leaning casually up against one of the lamp posts, casually throwing a small ball of snow up in the air, just to catch it again, equally as casually. Daesung felt that that should have been his first warning that this was going to be an awful day, but he hadn’t thought anything of it at the time. The other two were looking into the window of a nearby shop, talking quietly to each other. Seungri had called out a rather jovial hello before bounding down the remainder of the road…and the day just went downhill from there.

With quick introductions all around (“We know who she is, don’t we Taeyang?”), they started off on their shopping adventure. Small jabs at Erato’s character from Jiyong throughout the morning went seemingly unnoticed by the group at large, but it was definitely clear that she was getting more and more distressed as time went on. Yes, Daesung thinks as he pushes the soup around in his bowl, I should have known.

They were having lunch at the Three Broomsticks. It was loud and crazy and extremely busy, but it was tradition and no one ever complained. The five boys had always eaten together, and the oldest three had been pretty adamant that it was not going to be any different this year. It was soup all around for the group of six, not that anyone had planned to order anything else, because Jiyong had placed their order for them.

“You like soup, right Erato?” Jiyong had asked as he slipped back into his seat between Seunghyun and Youngbae. Only Daesung and Youngbae seemed to notice the slight malice in the question.

“Yeah, of course.” Erato replied, her tone as casual as she could make it. Daesung wanted to place a comforting hand on her shoulder, but decided against it as that would just draw more attention to her.

The conversation at the table went rather well after that, minus a couple of off-hand remarks that Daesung was certain were a little more hurtful than needed. Then the soup came, and the moment that led to Daesung reminiscing over exactly how the day went wrong.

No one was more than three bites into their soup, before Jiyong casually propped his elbow on the table and affected a rather nonchalant pose. “So, how does everyone like the soup?” There was only a general smattering of comments, all in the positive, from around the table. “Good, good…” Jiyong says, dragging his spoon through his soup. “What about you, Erato? Do you like it?” he asks, his eyes flicking up at the end to fix an intense glare on her.

Erato was silent for a second, but everyone at the table could feel the tension. The four other boys looked up from their bowls and watched as she carefully set down her spoon, dabbed a napkin at and took a deep breath. She then very calmly looked up and said, “Why, did you poison it?”

In any normal circumstance, Daesung would reason later on as he tried to calm Seungri down out on the Quidditch Pitch well past curfew, everyone at the table would have laughed at a comment like that; especially Jiyong. Unfortunately for everyone at the table at that moment, this was a less than ordinary day.

Erato had said it in the most innocent and pure way possible; there was no hint of malice, it was almost clearly meant to be a joke…but it wasn’t a joke because Jiyong had been a rather large jerk the whole day and Erato was no idiot to be trifled with.

“Should I have?” Jiyong asks, and if it weren’t for the fact that he had filled himself with a rather large amount of self-righteous anger toward her, he would have allowed the wince that tried so hard to make itself known on his face as the words left his mouth.

All eyes at the table swiveled from Jiyong to Erato, who was taking another deep breath. She shakes her head lightly and lets out a rather humorless chuckle. “You know,” she says, and Jiyong has to stop another wince at the rather cool calm of her voice. “I thought you were such an interesting person when you were in school. So smart and exciting. You always had so many ideas and you just seemed so pleasant.” She pauses there and Jiyong’s eyes narrow. The faces around the table pull back into grimaces, as if they wanted to tell Erato to stop speaking, but just couldn’t get it out. “But obviously I was wrong. If you would like to explain what it is I’ve done to offend your sensibilities, your highness, I will be most willing to listen.”

If Erato had known Jiyong a little better, she would have known that right in that instant he realized just how awfully he had been acting. She would also have known that he didn’t know how to stop himself once he had gotten going. “Highness?” He says, a rather derogatory laugh following the utterance. “My, I haven’t been called that before!” He lets out another laugh, and it’s cutting and cold and everyone but Erato flinches slightly at the sound. “Look at you, so gangly, so tall, and so unremarkable. Who are you, really? What makes you good enough…?” He lets the sentence hang as his eyes shift a quick look at Youngbae by his side. The look was fleeting, barely a flick of his eyes, but Erato noticed.

With a deep sigh she shakes her head, “How sad.” She says simply, before pushing her seat away from the table and standing up. Seungri snaps out of his trance then and stammers at her not to go. “I’ll see you later.” She says, before walking away from the table.

Seungri stayed put for less than a full minute before giving into his frustration and jumping up from the table. He checks himself before he says anything he might regret, and instead turns and leaves, his mouth shut tightly. Jiyong calls after him, but Seungri just gives him a glare and keeps going.

***

“I don’t know what his problem is!” Youngbae explodes, and Seunghyun lifts his hands up in a defensive gesture.

“How am I supposed to know?” Seunghyun says, his eyes shifting nervously around the dining room. Jiyong had left for home in a huff, refusing to speak to anyone or to explain himself. Daesung had run off to check up on Seungri, leaving Youngbae and Seunghyun to themselves. They had moved to a different restaurant, but neither had been able to think of anything to say until now.

Youngbae crosses his arms over his chest and turns away from the table. “That was no way to treat her, I don’t even understand…” Youngbae sighs and drops his arms, “It’s not like Jiyong to act like that.” Seunghyun wants to disagree, and point out that Jiyong has been petty and cruel just exactly like this before, but decides against it, realizing that before he says anything like that he should speak to Daesung first.

“Well, maybe he just doesn’t like her?” Seunghyun says, but he knows that it’s not really true.

“Merlin, Seunghyun! He was awful about it when I first mentioned to him that I liked her, but it’s been a year! A year! I don’t even like her anymore, and what does that even have to do with anything? Why should he be so upset about it?” Youngbae looks up at Seunghyun, hoping for some kind of reassurance or help.

“I honestly don’t know, Youngbae, I honestly don’t know.” Seunghyun shrugs and takes a sip from his mug of tea. He’s quiet for a second before a grin breaks out across his face. “You might not like her, but I’m fairly certain I know who does.” He says, and it takes Youngbae only a short couple of seconds to comprehend what was said and break into his very own smile.

“You know, you’re right, I’m fairly certain that Daesung looked awfully stricken by Jiyong’s harsh words to her.” Seunghyun gives Youngbae a flat, unamused look.

“You know who I meant.” He says, his voice a little grumbly. Youngbae just laughs and pats Seunghyun on the back.

“Alright, come on, I think we’ve left Ji alone for long enough.”