The First Sorting

Hogwarts: A different life

Youngbae made them put their robes on at least 45 minutes earlier than they needed to. Twenty minutes before the train pulled into Hogsmeade Station, the prefects made their rounds, making sure that students were getting into their robes and that everyone knew to leave their things on the train (they would be brought up later).

“What if they lose it?” Seunghyun asks, looking up at his trunk while he fiddles with his pointed hat.

“I’m sure they won’t, they do this every year.” Jiyong says, as he too fiddles with his hat. “These are kind of stupid looking, aren’t they?”

“We have to wear them,” Youngbae says immediately, as if afraid that Jiyong would break the rules and it would reflect poorly on him.

“I know, I know, but really it’s a pointy hat!” Jiyong says, laughing and waving it in front of Youngbae’s face. Seunghyun cracks a smile, though still obviously worried about his possessions.

The train slows to a stop and they press their faces to the window, only to realize that the station was on the other side of the train and all they could see were trees. When the train had come to a complete stop they pressed out into the hallway with all of the other students, and followed the flow of people off of the train.

“First years! First years over here!” The voice was female, but they couldn’t see who was speaking until they had followed the voice down off of the platform and onto a small dirt path. At the mouth of the path was a short woman with spikey brown hair who smiled at them all as they came to a stop in front of her.

“Is this everyone?” She asks, craning her neck and looking around as if she were counting, “excellent! Well then, I’m Perenia Periwinkle. I work on the Hogwarts grounds and I will be escorting you all to Hogwarts.” She was bubbly, and Seunghyun decided immediately that her name fit her. Madam Periwinkle, as Youngbae and Jiyong hurriedly decide through a whisper-argument is her proper title, turned around and directed them down the dirt path.

At the bottom of the path was a swarm of rowboats just floating in what Seunghyun recognized from his copy of Hogwarts, A History as the waterway that led to an underground boat landing at the castle. He and the others were directed into the waiting boats (3-4 in each) and sat waiting until Madam Periwinkle had made sure that everyone was in a boat, and had climbed into her very own. Once in, she directed the boats off with a tap of her wand to the hull.

“Oh my God.” Jiyong says, shaking with pent up excitement. He couldn’t keep his body still; he was twisting his head and body almost entirely around to see everything around him (even though it was pitch black outside and there was really nothing that he could see).

“The boats are moving.” Youngbae states as if it wasn’t obvious, his hand on Jiyong’s shoulder to make sure he didn’t fall out, and his eyes staring straight ahead.

“Up ahead, in just a few seconds, you will get your first glimpse of the Hogwarts castle.” Madam Periwinkle states, her voice carrying over the swarm of boats as they came to a bend in the waterway.

Jiyong immediately ceases all movement as he turns to face forward; Seunghyun was craning his neck to try and see around the trees and mountain that were obstructing their view. The few moments it took for the boats to move into sight of the castle felt like forever but then, and then they saw it.

A collective gasp rent the air as first the topmost towers and floors came into view, the rest of the castle slowly following as they made it fully around the bend and were in direct view of the castle. Their view didn’t last for long as no sooner did they see it than they were moving far too close to be able to see the entire thing any longer. All of the students were left craning their necks and leaning as far back as was possible as they moved into the underground docking point.

“Alright! Everyone out! Move on and gather at the staircase just there!” Madam Periwinkle instructs as the boats come to a stop at the dock and she directs students out, “Careful there lad, don’t want to slip into the water down here!” She exclaims brightly as Seunghyun slips slightly on the damp stone steps causing Youngbae to reach forward and steady him from behind while she grabs his shoulder. He nods embarrassedly and moves out of the way so that Jiyong and Youngbae can get out.

“It’s so…grand.” Jiyong says quietly, almost reverently, as they move toward the large staircase in the well-lit stone room. Seunghyun and Youngbae just nod, eyes roaming the cavernous room as they mill around at the bottom of the staircase.

“Go on up! Professor Sinistra will be waiting for you at the top! Go on!” Her bright smile reassured Seunghyun as she ushered them up the stairs and toward the unknown that is Professor Sinistra and the rest of the night.

They stuck close together; Jiyong clinging to the sleeve of Youngbae’s robe, as he was back to jumping up and down in excitement. They moved with the crowd to the top of the staircase and soon were able to see a tall woman with a solemn looking set to her dark eyes and face. Her olive robes were well-tailored and completely unmoving, just like her. At first, Seunghyun was convinced that she was a statue, but then she blinked and he jumped slightly grabbing onto Youngbae’s other sleeve.

Once everyone had assembled on the landing, Professor Sinistra looked around at them all, face still lacking emotion. “Welcome to your first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am Professor Sinistra, the Astronomy professor.” She paused briefly after every sentence, seeming to look at every student as she spoke. “Tonight you will be sorted into your House, where you will live for the rest of your time here at Hogwarts. The four Houses are: Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Ravenclaw. Each House has both merits and demerits, but it isn’t the House that makes the person, it is the person that makes themself.” Her voice wasn’t monotonous, but it had a very steady rhythm that Seunghyun found only a little annoying; how could she be as calm and uncaring as to have no real facial expressions?

“Do you think she knows how to smile?” Jiyong asks, leaning around in front of Youngbae so that both he and Seunghyun could hear him. He was smiling almost deviously, and though they hadn’t known Jiyong for very long, they both know that that probably didn’t mean anything very good.

“Follow me, please.” Professor Sinistra says, beckoning the students to follow her as she moves up the hall and past a set of large oak doors that a low rumbling of voices could be heard through. They stopped in front of a door to the right of the large doors, with a giant staircase behind them. “In here please.” She says, indicating the open door. The first years crowded into the small side-room; as Professor Sinistra closed the door behind them she said: “It will be only a few short moments.”

Seunghyun’s breathing became a little shallow and he could feel his palms beginning to sweat. “What, exactly, does the Sorting Ceremony entail?” He asks, hoping they know something.

“Not a clue.” Youngbae says quietly, forcing Seunghyun and Jiyong to lean in closer to hear him.

“Yah! No need to be all quiet and scared, you know!” Jiyong says, the slight waver in his voice belying his own fear.

Soon afterward a door at the opposite end of the room opened, and the sound became even louder as the chattering from the Great Hall filtered into the small and crowded room. Professor Sinistra moved into view on the other side of the door and ushered them all out and into a single line as the processed across what looked to Seunghyun to be a platform in what he recognized from Hogwarts, A History as the Great Hall.

All conversations had stopped as they walked into the hall. The boys looked out over the hall and were amazed at how large it was. Seunghyun hit Youngbae’s arm to get his attention, then pointed up at the ceiling. The Great Hall was known for its ceiling that reflected the sky, and Seunghyun had almost forgotten to look up. It was breathtaking; the entire hall was breathtaking, even with the marks from the Final Battle left on the walls and floor.

Jiyong’s body was still, his eyes roving the hall and taking in everything. The teachers sitting behind them were a little unnerving to him, but he strangely didn’t mind having all eyes focused on him; even if they were technically looking at all of the first years and not just at him.

“When I call your name, you will step up to the stool and place the hat on your head.” Professor Sinistra announces once all of the first years had lined up on the stage. The first three people (Abbot, Arrows, and Berkley) were placed in Hufflepuff, and Seunghyun decides that the people there look rather pleasant, and who doesn’t want to be considered loyal?

Four names later and Youngbae was starting to have a hard time standing still. After “Calder, Hannah” became the first Ravenclaw of the night “Choi, Seunghyun” was called, and Youngbae starts to pay better attention.

Seunghyun walked slowly to the hat; the number of people in the room and around him was kind of overwhelming, and he was starting to really wish that he was back home. He takes the hat off the stool and sits down, slowly placing the hat on his head. It falls to just halfway over his eyes, and then he hears it; a small, quiet voice that spoke directly into his ear.

“Ahh, what’s this that I see here?” Seunghyun’s mind goes immediately blank and he tries to focus on the Hat’s voice. “Loyalty, definitely, but it’s being overshadowed by something, stronger here…Ah yes, bravery. That’s what it is, you are best suited for…GRYFFINDOR” The last word was announced to the hall, and Seunghyun was jarred out of his intense attention. He stumbled up off of the stool on auto-pilot and pulled the hat off of his head, placing it quickly on the stool and looking around for the table that was screaming the loudest. He only hesitated briefly to look back at Youngbae and Jiyong, wishing more than anything that he could go back up there, before moving down to the Gryffindor table.

It was only three more names before “Dong, Youngbae” was called. He jerked his head up from the spot on the floor between his and Jiyong’s shoes, and walked toward the stool. Picking up the Hat, Youngbae tried to decide whether he had a preference for the House that he wanted to be in.

“Hmm, very clever aren’t you! But what else is here? A hard-working individual; chivalrous, most definitely. But I wonder where to put you. Ah, quite the sneaky one you are! Hiding your love of knowledge like that. But I won’t hold it against you, better be…. RAVENCLAW!” His mind still spinning from the quick way that the quiet voice had gone through his head, he stood up and pulled the hat off of his head, replacing it on the stool as he looked at the table next to Seunghyun’s.

When “Kwon, Jiyong” was called he was busy staring at both the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tables trying to decide which one he wanted to be in more; because of course he would have to choose between the two. He was only standing awkwardly for about 5 seconds before he registered that it had been his name that was called and he moved toward the stool, his head still barely registering the situation; it was like he was floating toward the stool.

The Hat covered his eyes completely as he dropped it on top of his head—this hat is pointy too, it’s still funny—the quiet voice started in his right ear “Yes, yes, I see it already, wit beyond measure, young lad, make sure you reign it in every once in a while! And yes, loyalty, bravery, but yes I see it, your sharp and imaginative mind wins out. You will do particularly well in…RAVENCLAW!” The applause that erupted from the Ravenclaw table seemed somehow quieter to Jiyong than the voice in his ear, but he pulled the Hat off of his head, a large smile gracing his small features, and dropped it back on the stool as he walked quickly from it and toward the Ravenclaw table.

“You didn’t look back when you left the stool.” He whispers as he situates himself next to Youngbae.

“I was paying attention to where I was going.” Youngbae says, looking down at the golden place-setting in front of him.

“Seunghyun looked back. It’s alright though, you looked after you sat down; I already forgave you.” Jiyong smiles, a toothy and gummy grin that scrunches his entire face.

Youngbae smiles lightly and shakes his head, “Pay attention to the Sorting!” he hisses quietly, pushing Jiyong’s arm lightly in the hopes that he would turn toward the front of the hall. Jiyong just smiled again, a little less intensely.

“I hope we get to eat soon, I’m so hungry!” he says, turning to look around the hall. Youngbae stares across the table over to the Gryffindor table where Seunghyun had turned around in his seat to look at them. Seunghyun raises an eyebrow and his head to the side. Youngbae raises his thumb and smiles, rolling his eyes and nodding toward the ever-moving Jiyong, causing Seunghyun to laugh lightly before he looks back to the front of the hall where the Sorting was winding down.

As the last person walked shakily down to the Slytherin table, Headmistress McGonagall stood up to address the hall. “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. To all first years I hope that you enjoy your Houses and your first year. Please also note that there is a list of rules down near the Caretaker’s office. Everyone, please have a wonderful Start of Term Feast.” She sat back down, her deep green robes ruffling around her as she lowered herself into the seat.

Jiyong had just turned to Youngbae to ask how and what exactly they were supposed to eat, when he was stopped by the surprised look on Youngbae’s face. Turning to face the table, his eyes flew wide open, and his jaw fell toward the table.

“I hope you’re hungry” Youngbae says, his voice a little quieter than intended, reverence seeping through every word.

All Jiyong can do is nod before diving into the closest tureen.