Tutors

Hogwarts: A different life

 

“We’re going to miss the train,” Seungri says, his eyes straying up to the clock above the clerks head.

“Nonsense,” Seunghyun reassures him before thanking the cashier and taking their bag of snacks off of the counter.

“This was a bad idea,” Seungri says again, staring up at the clock just in time to see it strike 11:00am. They can hear a large clock chiming out the time, and suddenly, big Seunghyun agrees that it probably hadn’t been the best idea the two had ever had.

They had gotten to the station early as Seunghyun’s parents had business to attend to in London. Once they had seen the boys’ luggage safely into a compartment, they had gone back through to the muggle platform and left. They were really early; so early that Youngbae wasn’t even there yet. They had tried just sitting around waiting, but that lasted all of about five minutes before they were both ready to expire from boredom.

“I’m kind of hungry…” Seunghyun had said, his eyes facing the entrance to the platform, and Seungri had nodded his agreement.

They hadn’t expected to be able to leave the platform, and were most definitely surprised when that proved possible. But now, as they stood facing the empty tracks, they really wished that it hadn’t been. They watched as parents started to leave, and wondered what they were supposed to do, given that they had no means of contacting anyone. It was just as they had resigned themselves to being stuck on the platform until Christmas that an attendant walked quickly up to them.

“Don’t you two look glum!” The man said. He was exceedingly cheerful sounding and the two boys were momentarily shocked out of their pouting. “Don’t you worry now, there’s always someone who misses the train.” Seunghyun didn’t think that was very reassuring, and he was sincerely hoping that they would be able to get off the platform at some point in the near future. “I’ve sent word on ahead; someone should be here for you shortly.”

The boys nod and allow themselves to be ushered to a place to sit. It doesn’t take long, maybe a couple of minutes, before they hear the tell-tale pop of apparition. It’s a professor, though one that neither has had before so Seunghyun is inclined to believe that it is probably the Arithmancy professor.

“Ah, all ready to go?” The professor asks, stopping in front of them. He throws a nod at the attendant who was waiting next to them.

The two boys nod their assent and stand up. “What, no trunks?” He asks, looking around them as if they may suddenly appear.

Seungri shakes his head, “No, we got here really early….everything was on the train.” Seunghyun fights the urge to kick the boy to get him to shut up, but the professor just nods and beckons them closer.

“Alright then! This will be much easier than originally expected.” He says jovially as he pulls out a small bottle and holds it out to the boys. “Just touch it, make sure you’ve got a finger on it!”

Seunghyun grabs Seungri by the back of the shirt, and they both reach up and touch the small bottle. In a matter of seconds they can feel a light tugging at their navels as the rather oppressive drag of portkey travel consumes them.

If Jiyong hadn’t have spotted them first, Seungri is inclined to believe that Youngbae would probably have hauled both him and Seunghyun out of the Great Hall by their ears in a fit of rage. As it was, it took both Daesung and Jiyong to hold him back as he stood before them both in turn and reprimanded them, his voice tight with a practiced amount of restraint.

“The alcove,” Jiyong had said casually when Youngbae had paused. “After dinner.” Youngbae had opened his mouth to comment, both times, but Jiyong just turned around and it was clear that the conversation was over.

Youngbae’s complaint probably would have been that they were supposed to go straight to their dorms after the feast, but he’d swallowed it, both times, and had waited until he was ‘alone’ with Jiyong at the Ravenclaw table before he mentioned it.

“Oh lighten up.” Jiyong says, and Youngbae makes a face and turns away.

***

“Ah…Seunghyun?” A girl says softly from next to their table in the library. All five of them were seated around one of the tables, their bags strewn across the floor and books and papers piled on the table. They didn’t normally all do their work together, but today was just one of those days where they had all been in there at the same time and had figured that they might as well sit together.

Two heads look up and over at the girl immediately; the other three follow suit a little more slowly.

“Ah…The younger one.” She says, a small smile quirking up the corner of . Big Seunghyun nods his head, a small smile on his lips as he turns his attention to Little Seunghyun. In fact, everyone turns to face the younger boy.

“Oh!” He says, as he schools his features in an attempt to look cool and calm. “Ette.” He says, and her face scrunches up in disapproval briefly before plowing straight through to what Youngbae would call ‘imploring’, or something equally smart sounding.

“Yes, I wanted to ask if you needed help studying for Friday’s test.” She says, and though she pauses briefly, it’s obviously not so that he can answer as the moment he opens his mouth to respond she hurries on. “Because I will be in the library for the rest of the day if you need me today, but tomorrow I will be busy…” She finishes and Seungri nods.

“What’s the test in?” Jiyong asks loudly, and Ette stops in her tracks, turning back to face them with an expression of curiosity written on her face. “It’s only the second week of school.” She shrugs her shoulders in a very ‘I don’t know what to tell you’ kind of way.

“Transfiguration.” She says, before turning back to Seungri and favoring him with a small smile. “If you need my help I’ll be over by the books on ‘dragons’.” She says, before turning and marching off toward the table she had mentioned.

Silence reigned for a good couple of heartbeats, during which Seungri silently hoped that his friends wouldn’t say anything. All of his hoping was in vain, however, as Seunghyun’s mouth quirked up into a smirk and Jiyong leaned forward, his elbows pushing things off of the table as he slid forward to stare into Seungri’s eyes.

“She’s cute.” He says, and Seungri turns a very deep and very obvious shade of red.

“She isn’t.” Seungri says defiantly, looking down and away from the prying eyes of his friends. “She’s my tutor and she’s all stupid smart like Youngbae and she’s not cute.” He mutters, and Seunghyun can’t stop himself from laughing.

Seungri makes a strangled noise of indignation and starts packing his stuff up while Jiyong and Youngbae try their hardest not to start laughing. Daesung puts a hand over Seungri’s and tilts his head to the side. Seungri just shakes his head and finishes picking his stuff up, his face a brilliant shade of crimson as he hoists his bag onto his shoulder.

“I’m going to study.” He mutters, and tries his hardest to ignore the comments that Youngbae, Jiyong, and Seunghyun throw his way as he turns and follows after Ette’s path.

“That was mean.” Daesung says quietly after they’d all stopped laughing, and Youngbae takes in a deep breath and nods in agreement.

They are silent for several minutes as they fall back into their work, but the silence doesn’t last long; not that it ever does.

“Hey Youngbae…” Jiyong starts and Youngbae looks up at him, blinking hard in order to refocus his eyes.

“Yeah?” He asks.

“Speaking of tutors…” Youngbae doesn’t bother to respond this time; he just raises his eyebrows and nods, indicating for Jiyong to continue. “I’m kind of in need of one for Herbology again…” Youngbae takes in a deep breath, well aware of the stares he was getting from both Seunghyun and Daesung.

“Why did you take it again?” Youngbae asks, and Jiyong shrugs, a frown starting to pull at the corners of his mouth.

“Because I don’t like being bad at it.” He says, and Youngbae can only nod, because he understood the feeling.

He lets out a deep breath and then rubs the back of his neck. “Alright.” He says, and Jiyong breaks out into a rather dazzling smile, causing Youngbae to be confused for a couple of seconds as the force of it runs through him. “But we can’t do it on Tuesday’s like you normally do…that’s when I work with Seungri.” Jiyong pouts only briefly before waving his hand in front of his face as though he were swatting that problem out of his way.

“That’s alright, plenty of other times.” He says, and Youngbae just nods before going back to his work.

~~~~~~~~

A/N- I've been doing a lot of these lately :( Anyway, I wanted to give you more...but this is apparently all I can force out of my brain for the moment.