Chapter 4

The Phone Booth

“Just for you to spend the night at “Miyoung’s” house,” Yixing said, quoting the name Miyoung with his fingers.

The girl nodded but soon enough did she understand that she had to spend the night with him, if it doesn’t stop raining. She then whined to him, something the boy expected from her. He simply just shrugged, “I was just helping you out. Your mom requested for you to stay, not me.” Jungah silenced herself with a sigh, realizing that he was correct.

Though, she still felt perturbed about the whole staying-in-a-phone-booth-with-a-guy-alone-overnight situation. She giggled quietly at the thought, making the older boy to glance at her. “What?” She shook her head. “It’s actually nothing really. I… I just find it funny that I’m staying with a boy overnight in a phone booth. This kind of situation happens in movies only.”

He chuckled lightly. “Maybe it’s fate.”

She curiously turned to look at him. “What do you mean?”

“What I meant is,” he looked up and met eyes with her. “Maybe the two of us meeting is fate.”

Jungah didn’t say anything as she kept her gaze on the older boy standing in front of her. She was sure that if he stepped one step closer towards her, he would be able to hear her heart that’s heartbeat was increasing by the second.

Yixing gazed at her one last time before breaking into a smile, “I’m hungry. I should have bought something to eat.”

She gasped, “The plastic bag!” He tilted his head as he watched her hurried over to the corner, grabbing a plastic bag and bringing it over to where he was. “Earlier today, I bought two chocolate bars. How convenient right? Do you want one?”

“Sure, why not. It’s better than nothing.”

“Here,” she smiled and handed him the chocolate bar. “I hope you’re not allergic to almonds.”

“I’m not,” he said and took off the wrapping. “This is dark chocolate?” She nodded, “My favorite!”

He smiled and bit into the chocolate, allowing it to melt in his mouth. “It’s my favorite too.”


“Are you cold?” Yixing asked as he noticed Jungah shivering. Night time came around and there was absolutely no one on the streets, just some cars passing by, which was pretty reasonable. Who would go out in the heavy rain at night time?

“Just a bit,” she replied.

He walked over to his backpack and opened it, revealing a white hoodie. “Here, wear this,” he said, handing her the hoodie.

“You don’t have to…” she mumbled. “Take it; I’m not responsible if you get home sick.”

“Aren’t you cold though?” He shook his head. “I’m fine,” he said truthfully.

Jungah bit her lips before acquiring the jacket, and mumbled a thank you as she placed it on herself. His scent lingered on the jacket and the instant warmth it gave made her unconsciously closed her eyes momentarily with a smile gracing her lips.