Burden

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

“Sunmi, can I talk to you for a minute?” Teddy approached you while working at the bar. “Sure!”

“Let’s go to my office…” and you followed.

You entered quietly since Sungmin is asleep on the couch. He took a seat on his swivel chair while you lazily sat on a club chair in front of his table. “What is it about?”

He then clasped his hands together on the table. “I don't want you to work anymore.”

“What? But why?” you instantly straightened up.

“I can no longer bear seeing you this way. You go to school during the day, take care of Sungmin, then work at night. I’m extremely proud of you for all your hard work but this is too much already!” he explained.

“How about college? you asked.

“Don’t worry. I will take care of it and Jiyong volunteered to help as well.”

You stood and reached out to his hand. “Opppaaa, you don’t have to do this.”

Teddy held your hand and touched your mom’s ring. “No Sunmi. It’s my responsibility as your uncle and I will do everything I can to raise you and Sungmin.”

 “Fine…” you pouted.

“Besides, Sungmin is too young to be here. He should be sleeping and playing at home instead.” Teddy ruffled you hair.

“I know…” you sighed.

He stood and walked to you after. “Come here sweetie.” he then pulled you to a hug. “Don’t worry about your finances. Jiyong and I will take care of it. You’re our princess so you’re suppose to live like one.” he smiled.

Feeling your uncle’s embrace was comforting. It may not be from your dad or mom but he filled your longing for them. He was always there through good times and bad. Sacrificed a lot to raise you and Sungmin. Doing everything he can to at least ease your sufferings.

You hugged him back and rested your chin on his shoulder. “Komawo oppa! Saranghae!”

“Saranghae Sunmi… Aigooo, my little girl has grown so much now…” he then pulled away from the hug. “Hey… Why don’t you join your friends for the rest of the night? Go out there and enjoy!”

“I’m not in the mood, oppa!” you sighed.

“Oh cmon… Go and celebrate!” and pushed you towards the doors. “Okay. I’m going…” you said with a defeated voice.

You made your way into the VIP area where EXO stayed. All of them are present and they crowded the whole booth. You were surprised to see the table only filled with food and non alcoholic beverage. ‘Am I in the wrong booth?’ you wondered.

“We decided to keep it healthy, this time!” Kris blurted when he noticed you staring at the table.

“Riigghhhttt…” you removed your apron and squeezed in between Sehun and Suho.

You tilted your head in Sehun’s shoulder and blew out a huge air. “Something wrong?” Luhan asked who sat across you.

“Nothing… I’m just tired…” you muttered.

Sehun placed his glass on the table and held your face. “You at lying, Sunmi! Now tell us!”

“Well technically, Uncle Teddy fired me…”

“Huh?” they all asked at the same time. “But why?” Baekhyun asked.

You removed Sehun’s hands from your face and rested your head back on his shoulder. “Coz he thinks I’m getting burned out already…”

“I think hyung did the right thing coz you are, Sunmi.” Suho patted your shoulder.

“But I don’t want him to burden my problems…”

“Is this about you going to college?” Sehun asked and you nodded. “He said that he will take care of it and Jiyong oppa will help out as well.”

“Oh cmon Sunmi! EXO got your back! You can go in any university you like and you won’t even spare a dime!” DO bragged.

You lifted your head and hurled your apron to his face. “You’re not helping, Kyungsoo! Aish!”

“Seriously, we’ll figure something out, okay? So don’t be sad!” Sehun your cheek.

“Yeah! Let’s celebrate Sunmi’s termination!” Chanyeol yelled and raised his glass of soda.

“You’re the weirdest people ever!” you rolled your eyes.

It was the first time that you joined them in the booth. They were hyper and beyond happy. Chanyeol, Baekhyun, DO, and Suho stood from their spot and danced while the rest of you remained seated and watched them.

Sehun got bored so he suddenly stood and pulled you up. “What are you doing?” you asked after his arms s around your hips. “Let’s dance!” he whispered.

You looked around and saw all of them staring at you. “I don’t want to! This is embarrassing! Yaahhh…”

“I know you can dance. You did it with Chanyeol hyung before… Just have fun!” he smiled and you rolled your eyes. “Fine…”

Chanyeol saw you two dancing in a tight space so he pulled the table away and made your own dance floor.

“Yes! My dance partner is back!” he exclaimed and joined you as well.

“I shouldn’t have let you danced… I can no longer enjoy you!” Sehun whispered when they all ended up dancing around you.

You stuck your tongue out to him and pulled away from his grasp. Luhan however managed to swiftly grab your wrist and spun you around. “Why hello there gorgeous!”

“There you go again, Luhan. Stop it before I puke on you.” you smirked and danced with him this time.

“So! How are you and Suho oppa?” you shouted over the booming music.

“We’re great! And everything is back to normal with the rest of the guys as well. Komawo!” he yelled over your ears. “It’s nothing!”

Kris managed to squeeze his way beside you two and whispered something to him. Luhan nodded and left. Your eyes followed his exiting figure with a wondering look. “He’s getting us more drinks.” he said.

“Ahh…” and danced with him instead.

“Are you having fun?” he asked and you nodded.

Kris stepped closer and leaned towards your ear.  “Since you now have a lot of free time on your hand, do you wanna go out sometime?”

‘Did I heard him right? I swear, working in a club makes you deaf!’ You tilted your head away from his face with wide eyes. “HUH???”

He chuckled and pulled your head back. You can already feel his lips touching your earlobes and fought to turn away but his grasp was firm. “I said, since you now have a lot of free time on your hand, do you wanna go out sometime?”

Every word he said sunk into your brain like pins and you knew he’s not joking. ‘Oh ! Kris? As in Wu Fan himself is asking me out?’

He pulled away to watch your reaction and waited for a response. “Ermmm… With me?” you pointed a finger to your face and he nodded.

‘It wouldn’t hurt spending time with him, right? *sigh* Fine! Whatever!’

You leaned closer over his shoulder. “Okay!” you then a forced a smile to him.

“YESSS!” he shouted making the rest of EXO stopped dancing and stared at him.

Kris hugged you and slightly lifted you off the ground. “Woah… Easy there!” you said. He put you back down and held your face this time with both hands. “Xie Xie Sunmi!”

Chanyeol then nudged Suho. “I think someone just hit first base!”

“Mhmmm! And the other one, should make his move already. Kyaaaa~” Suho shook his head while eyeing Kai who was wondering what made Kris excited.

Luhan then suddenly appeared beside them. “What’s happening?”

“Nothing!” Chanyeol whistled and Luhan just scratched his head.