Best Friend

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

“Good morning!” Hyuna squealed with a high pitched voice after she sat in between Kris and Kai. The boys however were too busy to notice her. Their eyes were set in Sunmi’s chair and the class is about to start in 5 minutes.

“Helllooo?” she then tugged Kai’s jacket.

“WHAT???” he hissed and brushed his jacket where she touched it.

“Jonginnie~ I heard you and Kris oppa got into a fight in Club Seoul last night. Gwenchana?”  she took his hand and massage it after. “Aigooo~ You shouldn’t let this attractive hands get dirty…”

Kai pulled his hands away from her grasp but she insisted. Hyuna pushed her chair closer to him and played with his earlobes. “I heard as well that it was Sunmi’s fault. She’s not worth it y’know…” she whispered and finally got his attention.

He faced her with a piercing stare. “If I put my in your mouth, will that shut you up?” and she nodded while biting her lower lip. “Just as I thought… Go bother someone else before I personally reconstruct your face.”

“Ooohhh… Feisty!” she flashed him an aegyo and went to Kris instead.

“Don’t even think about it…” Kris warned and she pouted. “What’s up with you guys? Tch! You’ll come begging for my attention one day…” she told but they still ignored her. "Not in a million years!" Kris added.

Class has already started and Sunmi’s seat is still empty. Kai started to worry when his phone vibrated. He tapped the screen and a message popped up. ‘Sunmi is still sick so she won’t make it to class. – Sehun’

His face fell after reading it. It’s his fault after all why she can’t make it. ‘Okay… Thanks man! – Jongin’ he replied.

Kai then passed his phone to Kris to let him read the message and he shook his head after.

----------

News about the incident spread like wildfire and everyone on the school blamed you. It just so happens that you are still sick so you didn't have to face major bullying especially from Hyuna.

‘Is it weekend already? That was the longest sleep ever…’ you thought while lying in bed half asleep.

You rolled over to your side and felt a huge space. ‘Where is Sungmin?’ You searched the whole bed by caressing the sheets and realized your brother is missing.

You quickly sat up and saw the maid from Sehun’s house sitting on a chair.

“Good morning agashi.” she bowed.

“What’s going on? Where’s my brother?” you croaked.

“Sehun and DO took him to school.”

“Eh? Hold up! What day is today?” you rubbed your forehead.

“It’s Friday agashi.” and your eyes widened.

“WHAT??? I’m gonna kill those brats! Aish!” you coughed when your throat burned again. The fight last night played again and also remembered falling asleep in Kris’ arms again.

‘Oh ! Why do I always end up in his arms? But I gotta admit, he’s one strong guy for carrying me up the stairs…’ your lips instantly curled upwards. ‘Snap out of it! As if someone as godly as him will even like me…’

You were about to jump out of bed when the maid stopped you. “Agashi, calm down… Sehun didn’t wake you up coz you’re still sick. You need to rest and he already talked to your teachers.”

“What about Sungmin?”

“He’s okay… They will look after him. Don’t worry!” and you wavered.

“Agashi, I prepared your lunch and its right outside. Do you wanna eat now?” and you nodded shyly.

“Ermmm. Can you just drop the formality and call me Sunmi instead. It’s totally unnecessary.”

Her eyes were full in shock and later shook her head. “Sorry I’m not allowed to do that…”

“It’s okay… I won’t tell! It will be a secret.” you snickered.

“O-Okay…”

Both of you walked out of the bedroom and headed straight to the kitchen. You’re shocked to see a variety of food laid on the table. It was too many that some of them are placed on the counter since the table can no longer accommodate them. Your mouth is wide open and drool could drip any minute.

“I didn’t know what dish you like so I made a lot.” the maid said.

You took a seat and ate right away. “ Unnie! Come and join me.”

“No, it’s okay…”

“Please??? Don’t worry, I won’t tell.”

She scratched her nape and was about to refuse when you made her sit. “Let’s eat!” and she lightly bowed to you.

“Wow~ This is really good! Komawo!” you beamed.

“Don’t mention it.” she smiled. “By the way, he wanted me to give you this. She then handed you an Iphone.

“Oh cmon! He should know better. I hate it when people take pity on me. They don’t even know how much they’re hurting me…” you returned it to her but she held your hand.

“Sunmi-ah, don’t deliberately turn your back on help. It doesn’t make you a stronger person…” she smiled and you listened.

“Unnie? Sehun told me once that his home is cold and lonely. Wae yo?”

“Because he barely sees his parents and if he does, they are too busy to even check up on him.” and you shook your head. “Luckily, someone is there to keep his sanity intact.” She added.

“Jinja? Who?” you asked excitedly as if it was a gossip.

She paused for a bit and looked at you. “There’s this girl he’s been following around since 2nd grade. She was like a breath of sunshine for him. Because of her, he laughs a little harder, cries a little less, and smile a little more.” you let out a soft chuckle while shaking your head.

“I think I know who that is…”

The maid smiled and continued. “Thank you Sunmi-ah! Sehun is like a dongsaeng to me and seeing him happy is more than enough for me.”

“I’m thankful as well for having him. I may not have a perfect life but it’s been better because of Sehun.”

You both continued talking while having lunch. “So… What about his friends? Can you tell me about them?

“Well… They’re all the same actually. Lonely, perfectly imperfect, longs for affection. But Jongin is the worst among all of them.”

“I can tell…” you smirked and rolled your eyes.

“When his mom committed suicide after slipping into depression, he became the worst version of Dennis the Menace. When he was in Japan, he skipped school, beat and bully kids for fun, get wasted every day, girls, gambling, the list could go on. Kris was his confidant. They did the same thing but he is the one who covers his .”

You suddenly felt sympathy for Kai. Although he deserves the hate he’s getting from you, you were not brought up by your parents to kick a person when he’s already down. The hate in your heart is slowly turning into compassion.

And the maid continued. “His dad flew him back here when he got totally drunk and mercilessly beat a guy who turned out to be the son of a Yakuza boss. Being the best friend that he is, Kris took the blame and was the one got chased by the gang.”

Her words were a chilling reminder that wealth is not everything. Living a simple yet worry free life is worth the fight after all.

“Aigoo~ Those boys…” you mumbled.

“I just hope that one day they can find someone like Sehun’s Sunmi…”

“Of course they can… Even someone better.”

“Aish! There you go again! I dunno what to do with you, stubborn girl!”

----------

EXO is in the lounge for lunch. “Wonder what she’s doing right now?” said Sehun.

“Call her, . You gave her a phone, remember?” DO blurted.

“Oh right!” he grinned.

 “Can I have her number?” Baekhyun asked.

“No way, man!” he stuck his tongue out to him.

Kai watched anxiously after Sehun took out his phone.

“Yawbosehyo? Sunmi-ah!” he giggled while the rest of them rolled their eyes. “God forbid. I might just forget Sehun is our friend.” Chanyeol whined.

“How are you feeling?” *Better!* you replied.

“That’s great! What are you doing right now?” *Eating lunch and gossiping about EXO.*

“MWOH?! What the hell? YAH!” *Kekekeke~*

DO then nudged him. “What’s happening? What did she say?”

Sehun covered the mouthpiece and draw his phone away. “They’re talking about us.” he whispered to them.

“MWOH???” Suho suddenly grabbed the phone.

“Yah! Oh Sunmi! Whatever the maid says, don’t believe every word of it, araseo?” *Too late. I already know everything. Such bad guys! Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.* you teased.

“What did she say?” Baekhyun asked.

“She said she knows everything.”

Sehun grabbed his phone back. “You and I will have a serious talk after school, araseo?” *No need to explain. You’re still my friend after knowing all your dark and dirty secrets.* you covered the mouthpiece and laughed hysterically.

“YAAAHHH!!!” *Pwahaha~ Sehun-ah, can you pass the phone to Kai? I need to ask something from him.*

“Seriously? I think your sore throat just got worse and messed up your brain.” *I’m serious…*

“Wae? What’s happening this time?” DO asked.

“She wants to talk to Jongin.”

“EH? That girl is driving me crazy!” Suho said while Kai’s eyes widened and became stiff.

Sehun handed him the phone and his hands started to shake trying to place it over his ear.

“Y-Yawbosehyo?” he stuttered and Chanyeol slapped his forehead. “I can’t believe I’m friends with these people!” *Ermm… Hi! Just wanted to ask about our Literature project. It's due today, right?*

“N-Neh! Uhmmm… I-I took care of it. I discussed everything the way you told me in the library.” *Cool. T-Thanks…* and you hanged up.

Kai handed back the phone looking pale. “Kim Jongin, did you just stammered while talking to a girl?” Chanyeol laughed.

“That’s a first!” DO snorted and Kai walk out on them.

He went out of the lounge and fanned himself. ‘! I just talked to her. ! I just did! YESSS! We just made a decent conversation.’ He then placed a palm on his chest while it beat rapidly and loved the feeling of his heart thumping like crazy.