Keep Calm

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Two girls passed by gossiping while you dropped by your locker. “Did you hear that Kai’s dad actually owns the school?” one of them said.

“Jeungmal?”

“Mhmm! He’s filthy rich, I tell ya!” and you just ignored it. ‘Still doesn’t change the fact that he’s a douchebag!’

Just as you were about leave, a soft and smooth voice called out your name. “Sunmi-ah!”

You turned and saw the only person you called a friend your entire life. Hyuna was the only one you trusted when you transferred to SMH during 2nd grade but drifted apart upon reaching puberty.

She became the queenka and you, the wallflower but neither hates nor likes you. The only consolation you got is that she never forgets to say “Hi!” when you meet.

“Yes?” you wondered with a sly smile.

“I have a favor to ask…” she said while checking herself on a pocket mirror.

Her words caught you by surprise making you stare at her for a moment. She has never asked anything from you before. ‘This must be really important… Is she dying? Did she kill someone and wants me to cover it up?’ you thought. “What is it?”

“Can we exchange seats? I wanna be close to Kai and Kris as much as possible.” and applying lipstick this time.

“Seriously? That’s it?” you asked with a disgusted look.

“Of course! You don’t have anything else that I wanted. Just that!” she rolled her eyes while you slapped your forehead. ‘Right… Everyone in this school doesn’t need anything from me… Babo!’

Even if Hyuna is busy with her beauty regimen, she looked serious as ever. She will do anything to be close with any of those boys and it’s a win-win situation for you anyway. Kai will no longer pester you plus you get to concentrate during class.

“By all means… Go ahead!” you told her.

“Cool…”

Kai waited anxiously for you to come in while Kris slumped on his chair. After he saw you walk in, he straightened up and cracked his knuckles with a huge smile and already planning something.

His face brightened as you neared him but you suddenly turned to a different direction towards the teacher’s table. Kai's neck could almost snap when his eyes followed you.‘Where is she going?’ he wondered.

Hyuna came in and took your seat. “Yah! I think your lost!” Kai blurted.

“No I’m not, oppa! I asked to be seated here.” she said with a nasal tone and aegyo making Kris cringe. “Beautiful people deserve each other and the best!” she added.

“You gotta be tin’ me right?” he scoffed.

“No! I’m serious. I’m Hyuna by the way.” she reached her hand out to him but he slapped it.

“Yo Kris. She’s all yours!” and looked at Sunmi’s direction thinking of a way to get her attention.

“No thanks man. I’m good!” Kris replied while Hyuna pushed her chair closer to Kai.

The lecture went on and you were busy taking down notes when your new seatmate placed a post-it on top of your desk that read. ‘I’m still gonna get you!’ You looked around and saw Kai waving and smiling at you.

You crumpled it and aimed for the trash can while the teacher is busy writing on the board. “Yes!” you squealed after making the shot.

“Miss Oh! Any problem?” the teacher asked.

“Nothing Mr. Park!” you smiled and he continued writing on the board.

A couple of minutes later, another note came in. ‘I will make your life miserable!’ you shook her head after reading it. ‘Gosh! Attention ?’

As the teacher turned to face the class, you handed him the note. “Seonsaeng-nim, someone wants you to have this. I don’t have any idea where it came from though.” you lied.

His eyes grew big upon reading it making him mad. “This school does not tolerate such barbaric acts…” and he started lecturing about bullying, going out of topic while you raised your book to hide your face and snorted.

‘Clever girl!’ Kai smiled and was amused at your wit.

The bell suddenly rang for lunch and you dashed out of the room. Kai followed but you already disappeared in the crowd.

EXO is in the lounge eating together when Kris noticed one of them is missing. “Where is Sehun?”

“Just around… He usually disappears during lunch but we don’t know where he goes.” DO explained.

“After all this time, you don’t even ask or wonder?” he added.

“No! He’s old enough and it’s his business anyway.” Suho blurted.

----------

You opened your Physics book to read ahead while having lunch when you suddenly heard footsteps. You waited for someone to appear but no one came. ‘Aish! Here we go again. Dad? Mom? If it’s you please stop it. You’re scaring the out of me.’

After all these years that you hang out in the pool area, you always thought you’re not alone. You can sometimes see a shadow from afar. But you never thought of leaving your secret spot.

----------

The rest of the day is filled with lecture once again. Kai stopped playing around but you can now feel his piercing gaze behind your back while Hyuna draped her arms around him.

Kris decided to go out and roam around the campus. He is joined by Sehun and Baekhyun who just got dismissed from class.

“Yo Kris! Hold up! Aren’t you suppose to be in class?” Sehun wondered.

“Twas boring so I snuck out!” he said after his ice cream.

“You left Jongin there all alone?” Baekhyun added.

“He’s happy with his new found .” they all laughed.

A group of kids are playing tag when one of them bumped into Kris dropping the ice cream on his uniform.

“Jesunghamnida! Jesunghamnida! Jesunghamnida!” the boy bowed every time he apologized.

“! Look what you did, rascal!” Kris hissed and shoved him to the ground.

“Hyung, he’s just a kid and he didn’t do it in purpose!” Sehun rushed to the kid and helped him up.

“Tch!” Kris walked out followed by Baekhyun.

The rest of the kids went up to their friend to check him out. “Sungmin-ah, gwenchana?” one of them asked.

“I’m okay…” he told them.

Sehun caressed the bruise on Sungmin’s check and he winced. “Sorry about my friend. He was just having a bad day.”

“I understand… Kamsahamnida!” he bowed.

“Don’t mention it. Are you gonna be okay?”

“Neh…”

“You’re sister will be here any minute. She’ll know what to do.” pointing at the bruise.

“You know noona?” Sehun smiled and left.

----------

After the bell rang, you quickly stood and skipped to Sungmin’s classroom but it was already empty. ‘Playing with friends again.’ You walked to a football field and saw Sungmin being surrounded by his friends. He ran up to you when he saw you and tried hiding his face.

“Noona, someone bullied Sungmin.” one of his friends reported.

“Yaaaahhh...” Sungmin hushed him but you already saw his bruised cheek.

You bent down to meet his eyes and held his face. “Who did this? How did it happen? Don’t lie to me, Oh Sungmin!” you asked with a calm voice but stern eyes.

“We were playing when I accidentally bumped into someone. I don’t know his name though…” he pouted.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt?” you his bruise with the back of your hand.

“I’m a big boy. I can handle it!” You felt a pang in your chest after feeling proud of your brother. It could’ve made you cry but you needed to be firm.

“Let’s go home then. We’ll put ice on that nasty boo boo… By the way, if you see that guy again, tell me so I can kick his .”

“No, you can’t noona. He’s really tall, almost like a giant.” Sungmin explained while raising his arm as hard as he could.

“We’ll see… I can take on anyone who tries to hurt you!”

His friends interrupted as well. “We got your back, Sunmi noona!” they all blurted.

“Aigooo… You punks are crazy!” you laughed and went home.