In The Club

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

You started to work as a bartender last year. At first, your uncle hesitated when you told him about it given that you’re underage and has to balance it with school. But he finally gave in knowing that he can watch over you and Sungmin.

After your parents died in a car crash, Teddy became your guardian. He pays for your rent and gives you allowance just enough for the both of you to survive while your salary goes to a bank account that you’ve been saving for college.

Your shift starts at 8:00pm in Club Seoul nestled in the heart of Hongdae. It is one of the most famous clubs because of the trendy settings plus, your uncle is the best dj in town.

The bar area stood beside the stage where the dj booth is located and right across is a dance floor illuminated by laser lights. There’s a VIP lounge on the second floor where clubbers can have a better view of everyone on the ground.

You manned the bar together with a male senior named Alex. A tall buff guy who can totally pass as a ramp model is busy filling the huge fridge with beers while you wiped the glasses. Your hair is tied into a ponytail and wearing a black vest over a white shirt paired with black skinny jeans and chucks.

Teddy suddenly came to check up on you and sat on one of the stools. “Are you sure about this? School is about to start in two days and senior year is gonna be tougher.” he asked.

“Oh c’mon oppa! I’ve done it last year. I’m pretty sure this year is just a walk in the park.” you said.

“Okay… Whatever you say missy! The show is about to start. Have fun!” he stood and high fived you. “Let’s do this!” you blurted.

People started to arrive and in just a few minutes the dance floor is packed given that it’s a Saturday. Teddy walked to the stage and did his thing working up the crowd. The booming music was deafening that people had to scream at you or would sometimes lean to your ears to say what they want.

“Two Cass beers please!” a girl in a mini dress yelled. You went to the fridge and grabbed her order. “Here you go!” you handed it to her. She then gave you a crisp paper bill. “Keep the change!” she added.

Aside from the salary that you get, you also get to share a fat tip with Alex which you two find very delightful.

The night deepens but people just keeps on coming while you exchange high fives with patrons.

“I’m starting to think that this place is popular not coz of Teddy hyung but because of you!” Alex nudged your side while pointing at a boy smiling like an idiot at you.

“He’s drunk sunbae!” you shook your head laughing.

“What about him? He’s been coming back every Saturday for the last six months, sitting on the same spot, checking your every move.” he teased while pointing to a blonde boy who waved at you.

You waved back and forced a smile. “Ewww! Creepy much! As long as they don’t do anything stupid, I’m all good.”

“Atta girl!” Alex ruffled your hair.

Kai and Kris went with EXO to Club Seoul to celebrate his arrival. They all went up to the VIP lounge and drank the night away. Alcohol started taking over when they all became wild except Sehun who stood by the railing and watches the crowd on the dance floor.

The cheers and screams suddenly got louder. You look up where its coming from and saw a group of boys surrounded by girls whose s could almost pop out from the tight dresses they wore.

Two girls sat on the lap of a black-haired boy who appears to be the same age as you and kisses them simultaneously while another one with blonde hair is also busy kissing and fondling a girl on his lap.

“Who are those two? I haven’t seen them here before?” you asked Alex while watching them.

“Me neither. Just saw them tonight.” he replied.

“Aish! Kids these days!” you scoff as you scrunch your nose.

Kai grew bored and pushed the girls away. He downed a shot of vodka before joining Sehun watching the crowd. His attention is caught by a bright smile coming off of a girl who stood behind the bar. She looks different from any of the girls around him. In fact, she’s a lot prettier and captivating than any of them combined. ‘Aish! I must be really drunk. That girl is so not my type.’ he thought.

Just as the clock strikes 12:00, another male senior came as your replacement. “Annyeong Mino sunbae.” you greeted.

“Sup Sunmi. You can go now. I’ll take care of the rest. Be careful on your way home, ayt?” he asked.

“Neh! Komawo!” you told him. “Alex sunbae. I’m off!” and he waved at you.

You walked out and headed to Teddy’s office where Sungmin is waiting. Every time you go to work, your brother tags along since you can’t leave him at home all alone. He spends most of his time on Teddy’s office studying or watch cartoons on tv.

‘Where is she going?’ Kai thought while his eyes never left you. Kris suddenly stood beside him patting his shoulder. “Dude, let’s enjoy the night. C’mon!” he dragged Kai back to the lounge and continued playing.

You saw Sungmin sleeping on the couch. The club maybe too loud but the office is soundproof and not even the smoke that lingered outside came through as well. You bent in front of him and his hair.

“Miahne Sungmin-ah. Just bear with it for a while okay? Everything will be better for us, I promise!” kissing his forehead after. You secured your backpack and carefully carried Sungmin like a baby on your shoulder as you walk out of the club through the back door and head to your apartment just a few blocks away.