Chapter 4 - You have a gift.

TITANIC (EunHae Version)

 

Chapter 4

 

 

The morning had just begun and Hyukjae was only starting to get dressed when a special blonde teenager raged inside his room like a typhoon. But it didn’t impress the redhead; he was used to Emily being quite impolite on his manners with him. He was the only one who truly knew her.

She pretty much threw herself on his arms, almost pinning him on the floor, if it wasn’t for his strong arms catching her in a reflex.

“I’m so glad you’re okay!” Emily sighed. Hyukjae smiled.

“It was just a scare.”

The blonde made a space between them, resting her hands on his chest.

“Please tell me it was really an accident.”

The glitter in Hyukjae’s eyes trembled for a second.

“Of course.”
“You’re lying!” she gasped.

“Are you crazy?! Of course it was an accident!”

“I know you better than that Hyukjae Lee, tell me truth! You promised!” she raged, hitting his chest.

Hyukjae swallowed hard. Why had he promised her once that he would never lie to her?

“I’m sorry.” It was his only words. And it was enough to bring tears to the sweet girl’s eyes before she was hitting him in the chest again and again.

“You idiot, what is wrong with you?! Have you lost your mind? Why would you do that? Why?” she raged, batting her eyelashes to prevent her tears from falling.

“I’m so sorry, Emily.”

“What about me? Did you want to leave me alone?! How can I go on without you here?!”

Hyukjae embraced the blondie with his strong arms, forcing her to calm down and caressing her soft hair.

“I never wanted to hurt you, honey… You’re my little sister. I was just so sick of everything… I wanted to set us free from all this…” he sighed. Emily whimpered against his chest.

“Please don’t leave me… I can’t lose you.” She grabbed his shirt with strength, making Hyukjae smile. “I want you happy, Hyukjae.”

“It’s okay… Everything’s going to be okay… We’ll find a way.”

She created a distance from the redhead, cleaning her tears. She needed to be strong.

“What about your savior?”

 

***

The sun was born for a good few hours, the calling for lunch had been already announced, when a first class’ redhead made his way down one of the covered third class’ decks. There, people from all ages wasted their time chatting and socializing.

Donghae was lost in his small own world once more, a piece of charcoal in his hand and his familiar notebook full of old drawings on his lap. Like always, he was watching the world on his own way, representing it on his paper with skill and speed, soft brushes darkening the white.

He wasn’t even aware of his surroundings until Fabrizio woke him up from his dreams, motioning him to look to where he was pointing.

He thought for a moment if he should listen to his friend but he decided to do so.

And thank god he did.

Hyukjae was walking in his direction, his looks and aura contrasting in every way with his surroundings. It was like he was shinning in the dark. Donghae wasn’t completely aware if the rest of people had the same opinion but he couldn’t care less. All he could see was the redhead.

Hyukjae smiled stopping in front of him.

“Nice to see you again, Lee Donghae.”

The brunette smiled with the Korean name. It was strange but inviting.

Well, everything coming from Hyukjae was inviting.

“Hi…” he shared closing his notebook without taking his eyes from the redhead.

“Would you come for a walk with me? I would like to have a word with you.” Hyukjae smiled and Donghae was quick to get up, winking to Fabrizio for a second in farewell.

“I’m right behind you.”

Hyukjae smiled.

“I’d rather have you right beside me.”

 

***

 

Emily was watching the huge ocean in one of the first class decks’ verandas with a smile on her face. She loved the sea. When she looked at it like this, so big and beautiful, she could have a little of hope about her future. Maybe things could getter better.

“Emily.” The well known voice of her best friend made her look back in the moment. Her smile only widened at the sight of those beautiful light-red locks. Right beside him a very good looking brunette was walking and Emily was certain that was the guy that had saved her friend’s life.

Hyukjae smiled back and stopped next to the blonde, looking at Donghae.

“Donghae, I want you to meet someone. This is Emily Bouquet. My fiancée.”

The girl only smiled politely, waiting for some sort of approving from the brunette so that she could finally crush him into a hug or something.

Donghae’s eyes only widened for a second before he smiled.

 

Hyukjae was engaged.

 

Well, that he wasn’t certainly waiting for.

 

“Pleasure to meet you. I’m Donghae Lee.”

 

Emily practically squealed in the place, grabbing the stranger’s hands.

Since they have been introduced they weren’t strangers anymore, right? She could be a little open with him. Besides he was from the third’s class so he wouldn’t have much problem with etiquette, she supposed.

“I’m forever in debt with you for saving Hyukjae’s life. You’re my hero!”

“Oh, it was nothing… Couldn’t watch and stay quiet, right?” He murmured with a small laugh.

She could apparently have Hyukjae’s heart but she was cute nonetheless.

“I don’t know. Never faced anything like that before. I’m just really glad you could… help Hyukjae. He… can get a little nuts sometimes.” She threw a deadly glare to the redhead who only looked away, slightly uncomfortable and smiled at Donghae.

“No problem.” Donghae smiled back, sharing a quick stare with the redhead.

“You know, I don’t know what I would do without him. Hyukjae is my best friend.” She smiled. Donghae nodded in understanding.

“I suppose you are very lucky to have found your soul mate…” he tried to not look hurt.

He had thought Hyukjae had some interest in him and he had been dreaming like an idiot the entire time.

Emily eyed him with interest and smiled slightly.

“Oh… Actually, it’s not like that. He’s like a brother. We were promised to each other, it wasn’t really our choices. I can’t see him like that.”

Donghae widened his eyes with the sudden confession.

“Well, Emi, you’re breaking my heart.” The redhead remarked quietly with a small smile.

“Oh, stop it.” She laughed. “But, don’t spread. People think we’re happy with marrying one another.”

“Emily. Donghae doesn’t have any interest in our private lives.” Hyukjae warned the excited teenager.

“Well, I disagree.” She quickly raised her chin with confidence “He saved your life; he deserves to know everything about you.”

Hyukjae only laughed.

“I’m sorry.” He smiled at Donghae “She’s only seventeen…”

“I actually found her quite entertaining.” He laughed with the girl’s spoiled attitude. She certainly was a brat for a young lady.

 

Both made a perfect couple.

Donghae wasn’t able to understand how they weren’t in love.

 

“See? I’m entertaining.”

“Yeah, talking about private matters.”

“Well, Donghae looks like someone who we can talk to freely. I’m done with pretending I’m someone else. I’m not going to do that with your hero.”

“He’s your hero, not mine.” Hyukjae remarked.

Donghae only laughed watching the two.

 

Well, maybe they really were meant to be siblings.

 

“I’m flattered that I get to know the real Emily. And if you don’t mind me complimenting you, you’re really beautiful.” He sneaked in the discussion.

 

He was stating the obvious. She was perfect. He would love to draw her. He would never be able to draw her eyes though. It was like she had an entire blue universe inside them.

 

“Well, thank you. I’m the one who’s flattered.”

“Are you courting her? She’s still my fiancée, you know.” Hyukjae glared at the brunette.

Donghae only laughed, waving his hands and his notebook along with it.

“I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention.”

“Are you jealous, brother?” she teased the redhead with a smile, eyeing him from the corner of her eye since he was right beside her.

“If you’re my sister, I must protect you. From men, mostly.”

“Right indeed. Men can be dangerous.” Donghae voiced.

Hyukjae stared at him.

“You have no idea.”

 

Donghae gulped. Was he seducing him with his eyes?

Donghae wasn’t really sure, since his eyes were, to tell the truth, quite naturally .

 

“I’m not a child. I can take good care of me.”

“You’re a child.” Hyukjae smiled eyeing the young blondie. She only rolled her eyes.

“Well, I’m still quite your responsibility since I’m engaged to you so I’m not going to protest. I’ll be leaving now. Your mother is awaiting me for tea.” She informed looking at both boys.

“I’ll be going now. Don’t have too much fun without me.”

“Don’t worry.” Hyukjae chuckled.

Donghae waved farewell, before Hyukjae’s voice was stealing all his attention.

“So… That was Emily…” he mumbled quite embarrassed. “You already met the Bouquet brother. You’ll end up knowing my entire family.” He smiled.

“They’re not really your family, are they?”

“No, they’re just friends… But, what about you? Are you here with your family? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Donghae laughed.

“You can ask whatever you want. I don’t have secrets.”

Hyukjae mumbled a quiet “lucky you” but Donghae failed to notice it.

“And no. I’m not here with my family. I came aboard with a friend. I’ve been wandering through Europe and they’re in America, in my hometown.

“Chippewa Falls.” Hyukjae smiled.

“You remember.”

“I remember everything from last night.” He lowered his face, resting his hands inside his suit’s pockets. “I’m sorry for this moment with Emily by the way. She really wanted to meet my savior. You’ll probably turn into a circus monkey in first class after this incident.”

Donghae chuckled.

“First class is not used to solidarity?”

“They’re too worried with their money to worry about helping others. Brains aren’t enough for everything.” He shrugged making Donghae laugh again.

The brunette had laughed a few times by now but Hyukjae had never openly laughed, only smiling slightly. Donghae was starting to get frustrated at how dark the redhead was.

 

He really wanted to make him laugh. 

 

“Poor them”

“I’m one of them though.” Hyukjae remarked.

“No, you’re not. If you were you wouldn’t try to jump…” Donghae simply stated but he had the redhead’s gaze penetrating his soul with all the intensity he was looking at him.

“It’s not that easy… You’re probably thinking I’m a spoiled brat… Why should I try to do that? I don’t know anything about suffer and misery…”

“I’m not thinking any of that, Hyukjae. I’m more like thinking what had happened of so extreme that you could not see any other way out… Was it because of the marriage?”

Hyukjae only sighed before he made his way to the deck’s veranda, resting his arms in the balcony.

“It was too many things at the same time… And the inability to stop it all… To change anything. I’m just feeling so worthless.”

Donghae rested his hip against the balcony, staring at Hyukjae’s perfect profile.

“700 invitations were sent and three months were spent in preparations. Not even once did my mother worry to ask “Is this what you want?” while I showed the entire time I was against it.”

“Have you spoken to her?”

“I tried… So many times. She never listens. We can’t lose our name and luxuries, that’s all it matters. I haven’t even finished college and she wasn’t even able to wait for that. Emily isn’t going to run away but my mother can’t risk it. And Andrew is making all their minds and they only listen to him.” He sighed, griping his hands. “What about me? Just because I don’t have his power, age and his work, my word doesn’t count? He doesn’t have the right to choose my life even if he wants to…”

“Do you like him as much as he likes you?”

Hyukjae glared at the brunette for the first time.

“What?” the simple word was spilled with almost hatred.

“Well, he’s obviously in love with you… What about you?”

“What? You aren’t asking that!” the redhead glared at him in shock, getting up from his relaxed position. Donghae moved along with him.

“What’s the big deal? It’s a simple question.”

“You’re just judging things by yourself! This is none of your business.”

“I’m not judging. Why can’t you just answer the question and explain the reality?”

“This is not a suitable conversation. We’re done here.”

“Is that such a big deal?” Donghae shared a slanted smile, mocking shamelessly. Hyukjae only shared a bitter laugh.

“This is absurd. You don’t know me and I don’t know you so we’re not having this conversation. I just really wanted to thank you so: Thanks for saving my life. It was a pleasure to meet you but I’ll be leaving now.” The taller man grabbed his hand, shaking it farewell, angry eyes deceiving his smile.

“I wasn’t really trying to offend you.” Donghae shrugged.

“Of course, you’re just being presumptuous and incredibly rude. I’ve thanked you anyway so have a good day.”

Donghae only laughed.

“Yeah, and insulted me.”

“Ah, you’ve insulted me first with that… shameless tongue.”

“Right.” Donghae only mocked him even further.

Hyukjae snorted in shock, turning on his back and starting to walk.

“Wait!” He turned again, eyeing the shorter guy with defying eyes. “I’m on my deck. You’re the one who shall leave.”

“Wow, look who’s being rude now!”

Hyukjae only shared one more bitter laugh and stared at the brunette with angry eyes, looking down at that stupid notebook he had seen him scribbling around when he found him.

“What is this stupid thing you’re carrying around?” he grumbled, taking the object from the puppy eyes’ eyed guy with much rudeness for someone who was grumbling about other people being rude. “You think you’re an artist or something?” he defied opening the damn thing.

 

Not that he was expecting that the brat was actually an artist.

 

He glared at the charcoal draws, glancing at the blonde with suspicious eyes. Then his eyes gave total attention to the hand work, forgetting completely that he was mad at the brunette, and he sat at one of the benches in front of the balcony.

“You drew this?” he glanced at Donghae with disbelief.

Donghae only smiled, sitting next to him. Hyukjae was lost in the professional representations of human beings.

“This is really good…” He mumbled more for himself before staring at the quiet puppy face. “Donghae… This is exquisite work.”

“Yeah… They didn’t share the same opinion in the old Parie.”

Hyukjae looked at him in admiration.

“Paris?”

Donghae nodded in agreement.

“Wow… You do travel a lot for a po… p-person of limited means.”

Donghae only laughed.

“For a poor guy. You can say it.” He shared before he was caressing the back of his neck in embarrassment when Hyukjae started appreciating his nudes.

“Well… This is interesting.” He shared a smug smile, being the one to mock this time. “Were these drawn from life?”

Donghae nodded.

“You see, that’s one of the good things about Paris. A lot of girls are willing to take their clothes of.”

 And then, right there. Hyukjae laughed. It was a light, small one, making fun of Donghae’s statement, but it was a laugh anyway and Donghae was able to watch his gummy smile for the first time. He wasn’t expecting for his heart to skip a beat but it did nonetheless.

“You liked this woman…” Hyukjae shared still focused on his works. “You used her several times.” 

“Yeah, you see… She had beautiful hands…” Donghae explained showing him a few draws of her hands.

They were very feminine and delicate. Long and thin fingers. Beautiful indeed.

“I think you had a love affair with her…” Hyukjae smiled.

“No. No. No. Just with her hands. She was a e. Besides, I just really love to draw feminine bodies. I never have drawn a lover. And certainly I hadn’t fallen for a woman.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t swing that way.” Donghae only shrugged. “But you get to know a lot of great women when you draw. This one had a really good sense of humor.” He smiled before looking for a new draw, Hyukjae eyeing him attentively.

 

Donghae was certainly something else. 

 

“See this woman? She used to sit at this bar every night, using every piece of jewelry she owned… Just… Waiting for her long lost love.” He stared at the draw with sympathy; Hyukjae drowning in the story. “We called her Madame Bijoux. See how her clothes are all moth-eaten?” he glanced at the redhead who was staring at him with a smile.

“You have a gift, Donghae.” He shared seriously with the brown-blondish haired guy.”You see people.”

“I see you.” Donghae only remarked.

Hyukjae smiled.

“And?”

“You wouldn’t have jumped.”

“Why do you say that?” he furrowed his eyebrows.

“You’re too strong for that.”

“You don’t know me enough.”

“But I know people. I can see when someone is strong. You just need a push to set free.” Donghae remarked quietly.

“How can you be free like that? How do you left everything and come here to Europe?”

Donghae sighed, looking at the sun slowly lowering in the sky in front of him.

“I always wanted to be an artist. My parents didn’t like the idea very much…” he laughed sadly. “But I couldn’t let them choose my life. My dad had come from Korea to look for his American dream and he had found my mother. Then, it was my time to look for my dreams… So one night when I was seventeen, I just packed my stuff and left home. I traveled around the States for like a year and I loved it. Then I caught the first ship to Portugal. From there I went Spain, France and all the countries I wanted. It had been 2 years… And I lived my dream. I’ve travelled around Europe and spent my time drawing everything I wanted.”

“You’re twenty now.” Hyukjae realized.

“Yeah… 21 in October. And you?

“ I’m twenty one. Just made this day 4.“

“Really? You’re older than me…”

“Yeah, why that face?” Hyukjae smiled.

“Just… I really want you to live your dreams too.”

“I still have time, don’t I?” Hyukjae laughed and Donghae followed him, feeling slightly stupid.

“Yeah, of course... What are your dreams?” the brunette asked with a new glisten on his eyes. The redhead eyed the sea in front of them.

“I want so many things… I really want to study art and do it far away from here. I want to end up college and be a great architect. Design ships, make one better than this one.” He laughed. “I want to travel and be myself you know? I don’t want a wife or to save my family’s name… But, why are you going back to America?”

“Because I won the tickets in a poker game.” Donghae laughed. “And I miss my family… A lot. I guess I’m home sick.”

“I would love to know what is being home sick…”

 

***

Emily and the other madams - including Miss Lee, Molly Brown and The Countess - were leaving their tea’s table to go take the air on the boat’s deck while on a very close table the captain of the ship and Mister Ismay were starting to have their own tea; the last one checking the ship’s reports and what about them.

“You haven’t yet lit the last four boilers.” Mr. Ismay curved an eyebrow.

“No. I don’t see the need. We are making excellent time.” He reassured with confidence.

Mr. Ismay wasn’t amused.

“The press knows the size of Titanic…Now I want them to marvel at her speed! We must give them something new to print.” He stated like it was the most obvious thing to do. “This maiden voyage of Titanic must make headlines.” He almost forced. The captain almost rolled his eyes.

“Mr. Ismay… I would prefer not to push the engines until they have been properly run in.

“Of course, I’m just a passenger, I’ll leave to you to decide what’s best. But… What a glorious end to your final crossing if you were to get into New York Tuesday night and surprise them all.” He shared with a smile, leaving the captain in wonder. “Make the morning papers. Retire with a bang, eh E.J.?” he tried.

The captain nodded.

Mr. Ismay smiled, lighting a cigarette.

“Good man.”

 

***

“Well, after that I worked on a squid boat on Monterey. It wasn’t fun. Then I went down to Los Angeles to the pier in Santa Monica and started doing portraits there for 10 cents the piece. That was fun indeed.” Donghae smiled. The sun was already in the horizon but the two guys couldn’t stop talking.

Hyukjae hadn’t stop smiling, amazed at all the places Donghae had seen and all he had experienced.

“Why can’t I be like you? Just head out for the horizon whenever I feel like it…” He sighed gesticulating to the sea’s horizon. Donghae smiled and the redhead locked gazes with him.

“We should see each other again. You know, appoint something in the US. Go together to that pier.” He offered with excitement.

“It sounds amazing. We could drink cheap bear and ride on the roller coaster until we throw up…” He defied making both laugh; Donghae always losing himself in that perfect smile. Hyukjae stared at him in self wonder, not really capturing the way Donghae drooled over his perfection.

“Say we go there sometime, even if we only ever just talk about it.” He asked. Donghae smiled, his puppy eyes glistening in the sunset, contrasting with Hyukjae’s sharp and seductive shaped ones.

“No, we’ll do it! And we will go to the beach; you can teach me all about the ships… And we can ride horses right in the surf. Did you ever ride on the beach?”

“I did not. My horses don’t leave the field, obviously.” He mocked.

“Then you need to try it, it’s amazing. And we could swim.” The small brunette was getting excited with the program.

“In the sea? Are you crazy? It’s dangerous; I’m not that good of a swimmer.”

“It’s okay, I’ll teach you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, of course, if you like.”

“Sure. But you need to teach me well!”

“No problem, you’ll swim like a real man.”

“And ride like a real man.” The redhead mocked.

“And chew tobacco like a real man!” Donghae joked with a Texas accent.

Hyukjae laughed.

“And spit like a real man!” he joked laughing at himself.

Donghae smiled, confused.

“You don’t know how to spit?”

“What? I don’t know, I didn’t really ever try it.”

“Seriously? You didn’t learn that in middle school?” Donghae teased.

“No… You really think someone like me would learn that? I’ll be killed for doing it.” The rich guy laughed imagining his mother’s face. “Besides, I’m a home student.”

“Really? Wow, that must . You can’t even socialize. You can’t even date.” 

“Well, I just studied at home. Doesn’t mean I didn’t know everyone from the elite. Rich people have a lot of parties. A loooot of parties.” He emphasized with a bored look. Donghae looked at him with a piece of pity.

It was so obvious that the guy hated his elite environment and just wanted to be wild…

“I see… Come, I’ll teach you.” The younger smiled grabbing Hyukjae’s wrist.

“What? Teach me what?”

“I’ll teach you how to spit. Come on.”

“What? No! Donghae!” the redhead asked in panic, trying to get free from the strong hold. But he wasn’t really trying to get free, too curious to see where this would end.

“Come on, it will be fun. I can’t accept that a guy never tried this.” He demanded pulling the older guy with him to a more discreet veranda from the first class’ starboard.

“Donghae! I shouldn’t, just-“

“Here. It’s easy. No one’s watching. Do it, after me.” He instructed looking at the sea in front of them. Hyukjae looked in amusement at the blonde who was now making some weird noises and faces to get some substance from his organism to spill.

Disgusting, but hilarious nonetheless.

Donghae spited like a champion, making some saliva fly several meters before dropping in the water.

Hyukjae could only laugh at the situation and nod when the younger asked him to try. He made the exact same thing, pulling the spit from his lungs and spiting with strength. It was pretty cool actually and that was also a really good fly.

“I think you were born for this.” Donghae observed with a smile making Hyukjae laugh once again.

“I think I found my path.” He joked.

“Yeah, but you can still get better. Try like this, you really need to make it hard, getting it from the lungs, like this.” He remarked pulling his mucus with all his being. Hyukjae was laughing at him like a small child when he saw a few known figures walking on his direction, making him turn around and hit the boy next to him after recognizing his mother and friends.

“Mother.” He smiled, while Donghae was turning around in shock and swallowing his spit, a forced smile on his face.  “May I introduce you Donghae Lee?”

Mrs. Lee eyed them for a moment.

“Charmed, I’m sure.” The old lady shared with deadly eyes.

As Hyukjae explained that Donghae had saved his life the other night the others were gracious and curious, but Hyukjae’s mother looked at him like he was an insect.

 

A dangerous insect that needed to be squashed quickly.

 

The redhead tried to sound confident and cheerful, but every time he looked at his mother it turned harder to do so. He needed to stare at Emily who obviously looked at Donghae like he was a god and glance over Donghae’s sweet smile and puppy eyes to not feel nauseous.

“Well, Donghae. It sounds like you’re a good man to have around in a sticky spot.” Molly Brown shared with glitter, making Donghae quite proud of himself. 

A man with a wind instrument started playing the dinner’s announcement song almost in the woman’s ear, making her jump.

“Why do they always insist on announcing dinner like a damn cavalry charge?” she laughed making Hyukjae laugh too. But it wasn’t a happy one; it was more of a tensed one.

“Should we go prepare for dinner, ladies?” He smiled, letting his mother and Emily embrace each one of his elbows. “See you at dinner, Donghae.” He said in farewell and parted with the ladies. Molly Brown was the only one who stayed next to Donghae, forcing him to stop staring at Hyukjae with a “Son!” to wake him up.

Donghae looked at her still quite lost. She only laughed.

“Do you have the slightest comprehension of what you’re doing?”

“Not really.” He laughed. It looked like he was going to be eaten alive if he saw the elite as Hyukjae saw.

“Well, you’re about to go into the snake pit. What are you planning to wear?” she asked like she knew the answer. Donghae looked at his old, cheap clothes and shrugged.

“This.”

She shook her head.

“I figured. Come with me.”

The tender woman took the young boy to her private suit, looking for one of her son’s dinner clothes. And like she believed, her son’s size was very close to Donghae’s, leaving him looking perfect inside the suit. The boy glared at his reflection in the mirror, feeling quite important. He sure looked a different person with a bath, perfume and that black suit with a tailed coat, white dress shirt and a white bow tie. Shiny shoes in the set too.

“You shine like a new penny!” Molly laughed, looking at him through the mirror.   

_____

 

So here it is le new chapter~ EunHae is starting to show up :b

Hope you enjoy ^^

I'm going on vacation now and I haven't ended the new chap so expect a small hiatus for the next two weeks or so ^^' 

Adios!

tumblr_m0ttgannxI1qhcznwo2_500.gif