XLIV

Springfield

 

You held tight onto Sungyeol’s shoulders as he pedaled down the side of the road. The trees passed by quickly, leaving the scent of pine on your clothes. The air blew your hair from your face though you had more things to worry about than knots in your hair. You saw the clearing of a few trees just ahead; the path to the hunter’s house. You leaned onto your left hand to steady yourself as you pointed out the way to Sungyeol. He nodded and swerved the bicycle onto the path. It looked slightly too rocky for a bike but Sungyeol had no problem keeping the bike leveled.

Suddenly, he stopped the bike dead in its tracks. You were launched forward onto his back due to the action. It was at least another mile before you two reached the wolf’s house but with the speed Sungyeol was going it shouldn’t have been a problem, emphasis on the word “was.” Now, he wouldn’t budge an inch.

“Sungyeol? Are you tired?” You asked in worry.

“No. Not in the least.” He answered back as he cleared his throat.

You frowned, “Then what?”

Sungyeol tightened his grip around the handlebars of his bike, “I can’t go farther than this.” He murmured.

You got off of the bike, confused, “What do you mean you can’t go any further than this? We are almost there. What’s wrong?” You were still worried about him. He hadn’t complained when you told him what was going on and not even when he pedaled around ten miles from the convenience store just now so quickly you arrived where you were in less than ten minutes. You looked at him with a frown, “You don’t have to pedal any more. We can walk.”

“No we can’t.” He responded coldly towards you. You furrowed your eyebrows. You didn’t understand why he was acting this way. That is until he said his next sentence. “This is the territory line. The hunters own the land from here on.”

You stared at him with an almost exhausted expression. Though he was right on his rejection to cross the line since Sunggyu forbade it. Right now however, you had B-Bomb and Zico, you were surprised you did but you really did worry about Zico, to worry about. You focused back on Sungyeol, seeing his face become serious as he continued to stare into the forest behind as if it held the Boogie man or something.

“Then stay here okay? I’ll go on my own.” You told him before pivoting to cross the so called “scary territory line.” You were stopped as Sungyeol gripped your wrist and pulled you back towards him, stopping you from taking more than one step forward.

“You can’t.” He told you with a stern gaze.

“I have to.” You pleaded with him. You knew he was thinking of what was best but flashes of B-Bomb in pain and Zico writhing on the ground made you shiver. You needed to do something, anything.

“I can’t let you go alone.” He told you, a serious expression you never expected from his childish face came forth.

Though you didn’t want to go against him, you had to. You were stubborn and you knew you would hear about it later but you had to do this. “I’m sorry.” You apologized to him, causing him to let go of you with a relieved sigh. Relief washed over him quickly however because only a second later, Sungyeol looked up to find you on the other side of the territory line.

“Hyunjoo!” He whispered as if you had just stolen a cookie from the cookie jar. “Get back here!” He motioned towards you but you didn’t budge. Instead you bowed politely while holding the grocery bag you snatched before hopping away from the territory line.

“Sorry Sungyeol. I’ll call you okay?” You assured him with an air fist before turning and running down the path.

Sungyeol’s feet pushed from the ground to get his bike up and moving again to go after you before he stopped himself. He looked down at the ground where he could smell where his territory ended and the hunters’ began. He gulped down on his spit to clear his throat.

He glanced up towards your figure that was slowly being engulfed by the shadows the morning light casted through the thick brush of trees above. “Dammit.” He cursed before propelling his trembling legs forward and his bike along with him.

 

 

 

“You can go Sungyeol. I don’t want you to get into trouble later.”

“Too late.” He gulped down as he looked up at the house in front of the two of you now. “Unless you want to go back too?”

“Of course not,” You huffed at him.

“That’s what I thought,” he mumbled beneath his breath. He knew how stubborn you could be and this moment was no exception. He watched you reach for the door only to find it to be unlocked.

You quickly walked inside and watched as a fumbling Jaehyo almost tripped over his own two feet while carrying a first aid kit into the living room. He stopped dead in his tracks however and slowly turned his head in your direction. His eyes widened and despite the seriousness of the situation, you couldn’t help but find his surprised face funny. He dropped the first aid kit he was holding and ran into the living room in a hurry.

“They’re here!” He yelled in a squeaking voice. You walked in with Sungyeol following closely behind. You felt relieved once you saw Taeil looking at you gratefully. P.O. and U-Kwon both breathed sighs of relief once they saw Sungyeol standing next to you. Kyung wasn’t happy but he knew he had to put up with it. For the first time, they actually wanted a werewolf to be near them.

Your relief however left you as your eyes traveled down to the two figures on a white cloth on the living room floor.

It was B-Bomb and Zico. You walked quickly over to the two of them, pushing past U-Kwon and Kyung in order to do so. You got on your knees as you stared down in horror. You held back tears because that would have not helped the situation at all.

B-Bomb had deep gashes on his legs and arms. Along his chest was a cut smaller in size but you could tell it was deeper than it looked. His blood was still wet on his clothes. It seemed as though the other hunters had ripped off his shirt in order to clean up the wound. However, dirt still covered the rest of his upper body and limbs. His face was not in good condition either. There were no bruises but you could tell that he must’ve face planted onto dirt.

That’s when you turned to Zico. What you saw horrified you. You almost gagged at the sight. His left arm was bent at an unnatural angle. You had never broken a bone before but you figured that’s what it looked like. You were thankful his bone didn’t protrude from his skin or else you would’ve puked right then and there. A large, deep cut ran down from his left shoulder to the middle of his chest. You were thankful you saw that his chest moved up and down slowly, signaling he was actually still alive. Other than that, across his right arm was a series of four parallel scratches. The gash on his chest however was stitched up just as neatly as B-Bomb’s.

You fell backwards onto your bum and looked over the two of them with furrowed eyebrows.

“It’s not as bad as it looks. Trust me.” A voice directed at you came from your right. You slowly turned to look up at them. Your eyes widened. You had noticed until now that there were blood smears on Taeil’s face and hands. You looked away from him and around the room. All of the hunter’s clothes and at least some of their face and arms were covered in blood.

“Not as bad as it looks? You’re kidding right?” You gestured to the blood on Taeil’s hands. He put his palms together as though that would hide some of it.

“Taeil is good with his hands. If it had just been us, they wouldn’t have made it.” U-kwon stiffly said with a frown. You looked at Taeil’s small frame in surprise. For being a baby-faced boy with a small frame, he surprised you with his skill. He really did do a good job sewing them up. You never imagined his hands could do something like that.

“I disinfected the wounds so they should heal up fine. Believe it or not, we were able to minimize blood loss. There’s only just one problem left.” Taeil got on his knees beside you on the floor.

“What?” You asked, worried.

“Well,” Taeil turned back to Zico’s body, “You’ve seen Zico’s arm.”

You looked at in the same direction and grimaced, “It’s hard not to notice.”

“It’s broken. Though anybody could tell you that. That’s not the real problem.” Taeil looked to B-Bomb now. “The problem is that B-Bomb’s spine has been dislocated.” You had no words as your lip trembled as you processed his words. Taeil turned to Sungyeol now, who had receded to the entrance of the living room and had tried his best to keep a low profile. “That’s where the werewolf comes in.”

Sungyeol pointed him himself hesitantly with a stunned expression.  

----------------

A/N:

For those of you who celebrate it, Happy 4th of July!

Don't you guys just love Sungyeol? Sorry but I just gotta say that I love him. :) (along with all the other members of infinite)

To on of my commenters, I understood the joke so no worries. 

Are you guys curious as to what's going on? 

Then leave a comment below (if you please~) and make sure to check for my next update!