XVII

Springfield

“I’ll see you later then sweetheart.” Zico said to you as he leaned on his left arm that stuck out of the window of Jaehyo’s truck. You nodded to him while rubbing your cold arms. The chill of the afternoon was not kind on your thinly covered body. Zico shot one more glance to the two figures who stood on the railings of your front porch; more than ready to pounce on him at any moment. Ready to rip him apart if he showed an inch of weakness. He wouldn’t be able to take them on unprepared. Instead, he gave them a snarl before backing out of the driveway and setting off.

You watched the truck disappear before turning your attention to the people behind you. “Hey.” You awkwardly smiled as you walked up to them, your feet shoeless as you stepped lightly, trekking towards them.

When you reached the door, you turned the knob to find it already open. Of course Zico didn’t seem like the responsible kind of person. Thank the lord your mom works late in moments like this. You stepped inside but not before making sure your feet were free of debris. The two of them, Myungsoo and Woohyun, followed in behind you without you saying anything.

They receded into the living room where they plopped down onto the couches. Your feet felt dirty and you had an odd smell about you so you decided to go upstairs and take a shower, seeing as how they didn’t seem to want to talk anytime soon. As your foot pressed onto that first step, a voice called from the living room. “Don’t take long up there sweetheart,” Woohyun mimicked Zico, “we have a lot to discuss.” You bit your lip but said nothing as you went upstairs.

 

 

 

You gathered your wet hair behind your back, grateful for the bath. As you walked down the stairs in jeans and a white tee you found the two lovely werewolf boys still in the same position you had left them despite it having been twenty minutes or so. You walked into the living room with soft steps though you knew with their superior hearing they must’ve heard you already. You examined them who stared forward like a pair of dolls. Pretty faced, male dolls. You almost forgot that they were living and breathing people. Well...in a sense anyway. You followed their eyes, finding them going towards the fireplace.

You walked over and kneeled in front of it, absentmindedly talking as you placed a new block of wood in, “Hoya liked the fire too. I guess it’s a wolf thing?” You heard no answer so continued what you were doing. As you were about the light the match, you heard a sarcastic laugh from behind you.

“You’re choosing a great time to act like you actually care.” Woohyun snarled. Myungsoo said nothing but instead watched as you turned back to the fire dejectedly and lit it anyway.

The fire sprang to life, the smell of flammable gas from the match filled the air, making you cough a bit. You backed away from the hot fire though it did make your wet hair on your head dry faster. You stood up and turned to them. Their eyes focused on the twitching of the flames behind you. “Now that we’ve established the fact that I’m less interesting than the sparks off of a fire, can you tell me why you guys came?” Not that you minded it. Having a bit of werewolf around was starting to be what made home home for you.

Myungsoo said nothing, his thoughts still on what he had witnessed as you arrived home. A hunter affectionately calling you by a pet name. It angered him. He wanted to tear Zico apart right then and there but he held back. Woohyun had first dibs to whatever included injuring the leader of the hunters. To his appreciation, Woohyun spoke again before he could lash out and spew everything he was thinking in the light of the flickering flame.

“I didn’t want to believe it at first but seeing it first hand it must be true.” Woohyun didn’t look at you and spoke as if he was utterly bored with the entire situation.

You bit the inside of your cheek for lack of a better reaction to his coldness all of a sudden. Just a week ago he as sweet as a werewolf could get but now he was spewing rays of hate off of his body. “What’s true?” You asked, utterly clueless.

Woohyun laughed, “Still playing dumb? Well then, I guess getting the answer from you directly would set things in perspective. So, are you with the hunters?”

You furrowed your brows. He was confusing you. Since when were you told you had to decide to choose sides? And why did he think you already “chose” the hunters’ side? “What are you talking about? Am I with them? Well no.” You dismissed the topic like you would if someone asked you if you liked to eat worms. It was that easy for you to answer. Woohyun looked away from the fire, locking eyes with you for the first time. You weren’t sure what it meant but nonetheless you spoke again, “I’m not.” You said in a clearer tone.

Myungsoo glanced at Woohyun through his peripheral. Woohyun stared at you, eyes serious and calm. Myungsoo gritted his teeth that Woohyun actually believed you so easily. A simple no from you and all his worries were gone. How Myungsoo would like to believe you as well but he knew, for the sake of his friends, his brethren, he had to be the sensible one, “If you’re not on their side than why did their leader just drop you off? Why did Sungjong say Zico had been here more than once?” You had no idea who this Sungjong person was but you figured he was another werewolf boy.

“He dropped me off because he kidnapped me in the first place.” You said, hands crossed in front of your chest. Myungsoo’s eyes widened. Now, he didn’t care if it was Woohyun’s business to deal with Zico, he wanted to do it himself. Wanted to snap Zico’s arm in two to teach him exactly who he’s dealing with.

You noticed the look on Myungsoo’s face was slowly twisting into anger. “He didn’t hurt me without reason.” You couldn’t believe you found yourself having to stand up for the stubborn, irresponsible Zico but here you were, doing just that.

However, it didn’t satiate Myungsoo’s anger. He grew annoyed at both you and Zico now. He didn’t understand your logic. Who says it’s okay to be hurt if there’s a reason? Why are you so defensive of Zico? Mortal enemies are born to hate each other.

Though your actions toward Zico may have been good natured, they in no way helped your situation. Myungsoo stood up from the couch, making you flinch. You were getting ready, bracing yourself for that punch he was going to give you at school yesterday. Instead, he stormed towards the door. Woohyun watched him in confusion.

To him, it was odd that Myungsoo wanted to come with him to see you in the first place since he’s stated out loud that he hates you. Storming out was something Myungsoo didn’t do. This reaction from him was new to Woohyun. Usually, Myungsoo would just sit quietly, pretending not to hear while he’s ignoring you but now he’s openly showing displeasure when he’s the one who wanted to come with in the first place.

You were just as puzzled. Myungsoo leaving of his own accord from your sight happened often but he usually had an indifferent face about it all. This, this was definitely different. “Myungsoo?” You called out. Then, you realized that the word was new to your lips and thus came out as a whisper due to your uncertainty of it. Sure, you had said his name in your head many times but never had you said it out loud. It was an odd feeling.

Myungsoo was frozen at the front door. He wanted to turn around and go back to his usual self. He didn’t know why but his anger was gone just like that. Just like Woohyun before, he got the feeling he didn’t care what came out of your mouth because he would forgive it all. But he didn’t like this, the feeling that you were the one attracting him instead of the other way around. “Don’t defend someone who’s not worth it,” his voice came out a low mumble though both you and Woohyun could hear it perfectly, “getting hurt with reason isn’t a reason to defend at all.” He turned his words to Woohyun now, “I’m going home. You deal with her.” He opened the door and walked out, not once looking back.

Woohyun turned his gaze on you, and you were utterly confused at that point. Myungsoo actually gave you advice and it was constructive at that. Maybe he wasn’t as bad as he made himself out to be. “Hyunjoo?” Woohyun called you. He could tell you were thinking about Myungsoo. He shouldn’t have been feeling what he was but the churning in his stomach wouldn’t stop. He ignored it, putting it aside for now, “Did he hurt you? Where? Show me.”

------------------

A/N: You ask for it and I shall provide~ 

Thank you for the comments annnnd for subscribing.

Remember to comment about your thoughts on what's happening :)

See you next chapter!