Prologue

Mother, Father [HIATUS]

Prologue

 

Beijing, 2012

 

I am waiting in a little street café, hoping that he will remember to meet me. I prefer to wait for him at our shared apartment, but he says that he has something important to tell me, something that absolutely cannot wait. So I trust him, and look at my watch. I have already ordered my fourth cup of tea, but he is not here yet. I sigh. Yet, it does not surprise me. Knowing him, he is probably side-tracked at the Gucci store before he realises that he has made an appointment and needs to keep it. I can’t be mad at him though, because he understands me and is willing to help me. I can’t say the same for the others, however.

 

The air in Beijing today is slightly hazy, unlike Seoul’s crisp, fresh air. But strangely, I’ve gotten used to it, and it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to. The temperature, however, is still not to my taste. They told me that I need lighter clothes to survive the summer here, because it’s so hot and humid. But then again, summer has never been my favourite season. I prefer autumn. It is mother’s favourite season.

 

Although it is pointless, I still wonder how mother and father are doing. If they were here today, would they be shocked at the technological progress? Would they have liked the fashion? Knowing mother, that would probably be a yes. What about father? I remember him as a gentle and free-spirited person, one who liked to care for others and had so much to give. Would he have liked to see the Korea that he had unknowingly helped to shape?

 

I do not know. But I wish that his soul is finally at peace. After 70 years, it is only fitting.

 

----------

 

I was fifteen, young, strong and rebellious. The epitome of youth. I had just had an argument with mother about my slipping grades, before I decided to run away. Just for the night, I promised myself. Certainly, it was not only that particular argument with my mother that prompted me to escape. I had also exchanged rather spiteful words with father regarding the company I kept, as well as my horrible work ethic. They had wanted a child they could boast about to the neighbours, but I was proving to be a disgrace. Honour, face and money. That was everything they cared about. That was everything society cared about.

 

My home was an oppressor of sorts, a jail in which I was taught only one way to behave – the correct way, the way of the socially acceptable. The one place where it was supposed to feel like home but instead, felt stuffy, forced, unnatural. I needed to get some fresh air. Upon thinking about it, I had never dealt too well with institutes of conformity. I am still unsure if that was sheer stupidity or teenage rebellion, but I felt I needed a breath of fresh air almost every day. Because of this, I sneaked out when they were sleeping, and made my way towards the main road.

 

The scenery gradually changed before me. Little houses stacked close to each other soon gave way to a few blocks of unkempt apartments. The standard of hygiene decreased too, which slightly alarmed me. To make matters worse, a pungent stench drifted around my nose as a plump raindrop landed on my arm. I was in unfamiliar territory now. But that did not stop me from walking. I wanted to taste freedom, even if it was just for one night.

 

I had underestimated the weather. What started out as a light drizzle had turned into a full-blown storm, complete with lightning and thunder. I shivered, cursing my lack of warm clothes.

“Aish, why does it have to rain so heavily now?” I grumbled, tugging at my simple t-shirt. “At this rate I’m going to catch a cold!”

It’s your own fault, Oh Sehun. If you weren’t so stubborn and stupid, you wouldn’t be in this mess.

 

I picked up my pace, my eyes vividly scanning my surroundings. The place was situated at the poorer parts of town, due to the many rundown apartments and little businesses. I groaned, ignoring the pitter-pattering of the rain. “Why isn’t there any decent shelter around here?” Upon uttering those words, I raised my head and squinted, making out the shape of a building in the distant. Eyes wide with hope, I quickly ran over to it. It was smaller than I expected. But then again, what could I expect in such a run-down place like this? It was big enough to shelter me from the rain and that was all that mattered.

 

I slowly opened the wooden door. The whole room smelt of dust and cobwebs, a few decades worth of neglect. I let myself inside, then decided to lie down, feeling tired from all the running.

 

Freedom had never tasted so bitter, but at least I was alone now.

___

Author's notes: So, I've finally uploaded the prologue for this story. How was it? ^^