Chapter 4

The Riddle of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What four letter word is the cause of most of the discord in the world, as well as most of the cooperation?

--Ans: Love

 

--

4

 

 

Sooyoung was forced to sit on the bleachers, wishing to escape from their PE class that morning. She in sports, and this wasn’t the correct time for everyone else to know of this. Ever since she had stepped into High School, Sooyoung had done all she could to avoid sports’ activities especially those concerning running. Feigning stomach pains, pretending to fall sick on the period of their PE lesson, or even hiding in the bathroom simply because she couldn’t stand being the center of embarrassment.

 

 

She was half glad though that the activity today wasn’t going to be running. At least she wouldn’t have to show how bad she was to her classmates. Today’s activity would be lacrosse, and Sooyoung was relieved when she wasn’t required to be in the field playing. She watched Yoona skillfully passing the ball, and cheered for her friend. A complete opposite was Im Yoona to Choi Sooyoung when it comes to sports.

 

Sooyoung didn’t notice at first but soon realized that most of the female students sitting on the bleachers were whispering and looking at the other side of the field. Squinting her eyes to see what was so fascinating; the brunette only gave a slight ‘oh’ when she realized the school basketball team was shooting hoops at the court.

 

She looked at the bunch of athletes on the court, practicing hard for their basketball tournament which was going to be held in two months’ time. She knew how important this tournament was to them, as quoted by Jessica’s boyfriend, Jonghyun who was also part of the team. Sooyoung was impressed when one of the players managed to shot a 3-pointer. She was even more impressed when she realized that player was none other than Choi Siwon, the star athlete.

 

Forgetting the friendly match among her classmates in front, Sooyoung was deeply absorbed into the basketball match on the other side and didn’t realized the sudden presence Xi Luhan, who sat beside her quietly.

 

“Excuse me,” He asked coolly and Sooyoung directed her attention immediately from the court to him, half-shocked to find him suddenly by her side.

 

“Uh, yes?”

 

“You’re her close friend right?”

 

At first, the brunette was confused at who he meant, but when she followed his gaze towards the field, she realized then that Luhan had meant Yoona. Uncertainly, she nodded.

 

Luhan still had his eyes on the certain doe-eyed angel, and Sooyoung had to double check to make sure he was talking to her.

 

“Why do you ask?” She asked slowly and this time, Luhan glanced at her for a few seconds before glancing back at the field.

 

“Does she always laugh like that?”

 

His response sent Sooyoung speechless for a few seconds. Still confused, Sooyoung blinked her eyes rapidly a few times, as if trying to comprehend what the male student had just asked.

 

“Why is she so unladylike?” Luhan continued asking, totally ignoring the shocked look which was spread across Sooyoung’s face.

 

“Yoona’s actually one of the most feminine in our class.” Sooyoung replied curtly, feeling slightly annoyed at the random young man who was commenting about her best friend.

 

Luhan glanced at Sooyoung. “Oh, really?”

 

Thank goodness for Luhan, the teacher blew the whistle to indicate their lesson was over and everyone quickly made their way to the field for if he didn’t, Sooyoung was sure she would bruised Xi Luhan’s baby-like face.

 

Yoona ran towards Sooyoung to help her with keeping the lacrosse equipments, the pile of sticks on her arms while some on Sooyoung’s. Both of them quietly exited the field and walked slowly towards the store room located a distance from them.

 

“Luhan asked some questions about you.” Sooyoung said out loud suddenly and Yoona quickly turned her head towards her.

 

“What?”

 

“Luhan asked me regarding you,” Sooyoung repeated. “Weird questions, I might add.”

 

Yoona could feel herself fuming. What had that boy been up to now?

 

“What did he asked?” She stopped walking and the other girl followed suite.

 

“He asked if you’ve always been laughing like that.” Sooyoung said straightforwardly, and earned a stare from Yoona.

 

“Laugh like how?”

 

“Your alligator laugh.” Was all her best friend replied. It took about five seconds for it to register into her mind but when it did, Yoona breathed in and out loudly, trying hard to calm herself down.

 

“What else did he said?”

 

Sooyoung hesitated, wondering if she should tell Yoona or not.

 

“What is it, Sooyoung? Tell me!” Yoona insisted, looking straight into Sooyoung’s eyes that the former couldn’t help but to give in.

 

“He…well…he also asked….” She gulped nervously. “…why are you so…unladylike...”

 

Yoona almost choke at her own breathe upon hearing that. She narrowed her eyes and gritted her teeth. Then, she darted her view at her classmates who were still at the field lining up, her eyes searching for that certain boy that had just unintentionally provoked her and when she found him, she half growled.

 

“Take this,” She announced and dumped her pile of lacrosse sticks onto the arms of the taller girl, alarming her. Im Yoona stomped off in a fast pace, her mind set solely on Xi Luhan and how she was going to scream at him.

 

“YAH, IM YOONA!” Sooyoung yelled, struggling hard to even stand properly with all the sticks piled on her arms, and not to mention the bag of lacrosse balls slung on her left arm. Although she was taller than any of the other female students in the school, her strength was hardly of any use.

 

Frowning at her best friend who had just dumped her like that, Sooyoung tried walking forward slowly and groaned when a few lacrosse sticks fell from her arms and collided with the pavement.

 

“Great,” She mumbled. “How am I going to pick that up now?”

 

As if God heard her prayer, a sudden voice was heard and Sooyoung nearly jumped off her skin.

 

“Do you need any help?”

 

Turning around, Sooyoung was caught off guard when she saw the drop dead gorgeous student in a plain white t-shirt and shorts, his expression showed no sign of him just finishing his basketball practice. He gave a charming smile, and Sooyoung swore her heart skipped a beat.

 

Without waiting for her respond, Choi Siwon reached out and grabbed the lacrosse sticks from her arms, leaving Sooyoung with only the bag of lacrosse balls.

 

“Thank you.” Sooyoung said, relieved that her aching arms were now free from the burden. She bowed slightly at the older man in front of her before both of them walked towards the building together.

 

“So…” Siwon started. “You’re…aren’t you the girl few days back who asked my friends and I to lower our voices?” He asked the question that h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter