Chapter 3

The Riddle of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”

--Sarah Dessen

--

 

3.

 

Oh Sehun dropped the few items he had picked from the grocery onto the counter platform, not realizing at first the sudden jump from the cashier as she gave a disbelieved mumble.

 

“Sehun?”

 

Upon hearing her voice, Sehun looked up almost immediately; his face broke into a shy grin when he realized who it was behind the counter. “Krystal,”

 

Dressed in her work uniform with her hair tied up in a horsetail, Krystal Jung also broke into a shy grin as she momentarily forgot about the items waiting for her to be scanned. “I never knew you’d visit the grocery store.” She half joked and earned a laugh from the boy in front of her. Luckily for them, no customers were waiting in line and therefore they could talk more.

 

“My mother asked me to get her some ingredients, so…” He pointed at the piece of paper in his hand and Krystal smiled. Slowly, she lifted the bag of potatoes and ran it through the scanner before proceeding to the next item.

 

“I didn’t know you work here.” Sehun asked with a smile.

 

“I started like a week ago, actually. Just trying to get some extra money after school hours.” Krystal replied.

 

“Does your sister know about this?” He half accused and Krystal stuck her tongue out. “Of course she does! Jessica was the one who encouraged me to work, actually.”

 

Sehun couldn’t help but laughed. “Did she, now? That lazy bum of a sister actually encouraged you to work?”

 

The pretty freshman reached out to smack Sehun, in which he swiftly ducked away. “You shouldn’t tease Jessica that much unless you want to get hit from Jonghyun oppa.”

 

“Come on, Jonghyun?” Sehun scoffed. “He won’t even hurt a fly.”

 

“For my unnie he would,” Krystal narrowed her eyes as she jabbed furiously at the cash box, realizing a customer who had just arrived behind Sehun. “Five thousand won if you may.”

 

Sehun handed the note to Krystal. “Sorry, I was just joking.”

 

Putting the items into a plastic bag, Krystal gave a curt smile. “It’s okay Sehun-ah. Enjoy the rest of your day.” She handed the bag to Sehun and waved goodbye.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow in school. Bye.” The young man nodded before accepting the bag and walked away as Krystal shifted her attention to the next customer. Sehun then left the store, showing no awareness that the younger female had stolen glances at him at every interval of three seconds albeit her attention on the customer.

 

--

 

Pachelbel’s Canon in D filled the music room as the two violists and the pianist played the piece they had practiced diligently for, the soft and soothing melody continued to echo around the room. A few students who had passed by outside stopped to listen, completely enthralled by how harmonious and beautiful the music played by the Trio was. When the music came into an end, the students walked away with smiles on their faces.

 

Although it had just been a start of a new year, the Orchestra team had already been putting effort since before the new term began, hoping that by the time the concert arrived, they would be of full preparation—and that includes the special performance by Henry, Sooyoung and Chen.

 

“Great job, Henry!” The only female in the trio said. “You too, Chen!”

 

Henry, the violinist laughed. “And you too, Sooyoung.”

 

“Since we’ve perfected this piece, should be proceed to the next?” The pianist asked, finding for the sheet music of the next song they needed to play for an upcoming concert.

 

“I would love to, but--” The brunette gave an apologetic smile. “—I need to leave now.”

 

Disappointment flashed across Chen’s face. “Aww, that’s too bad then.”

 

“I’m sorry, Chen. How about tomorrow?”

 

Chen brightened up. “Sure. Don’t worry about me, just go and enjoy yourself. We have indeed been practicing a lot lately and abandoning our friends.”

 

“Yeah, I need to catch up with what’s happening with Donghae and the rest.” Henry sighed as he reached for his violin case.

 

“See you guys tomorrow then.” Sooyoung waved and picked up her case on the stool. After the two young men said their goodbyes, the tall young lady exited the room while glancing at her watch. She was already five minutes late  from her ‘date’ with her girlfriends.

 

“Aish, for sure they’ll start nagging again.” She sighed as she jogged faster to the main doors of the school building, not realizing that a pair of eyes was looking at her the whole time.

 

--

 

“Henry?” A somewhat perplexed voice was heard just as Henry exited the music room. He jumped slightly at the sudden appearance of one of his classmates, his hands fluttered towards his chest in reflex.

 

“Gosh, Siwon. Scare much?”

 

“Who was that girl who had just left?” Not caring what his friend had just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter