{Chapter 01} Light Within The Darkness

Searching For Mason

Siwon looked over at Seohyun; he knew she was nervous… But as much as he desired to put his hand on top of hers just to assure her that everything was going to be alright, he knew that he shouldn’t. There had always been an invisible barrier between the two of them that he couldn’t find a name for. He had reluctantly come to accept the fact that it could very much be there for the rest of their lives. The unceasing awkwardness between the two had often brought him to feel guilty for his selfish actions. As much as he loved her, he knew forcing her into marriage was wrong. Perhaps if his parents weren’t so keen on getting him married (Heck, not to mention all the blind dates they forced him into), he wouldn’t have threatened her in such a matter. But there was no turning back now, so he sat with his hands folded in his lap, and waited for the guilt to settle even deeper within him.

“Seo JooHyun, right?” The Queen asked as she eyed Seohyun tentatively. She noticed that Seohyun’s hands were folded neatly on her lap –much like her son—and had her eyes casted downwards. She’s nervous, she thought, shaking her head as she looked at the pitiful girl. But who wouldn’t be? She was the Queen of the country after all. “So… I hear that you’re attending the same school that Siwon’s in.” Seohyun nodded, her eyes only moving from the floor to the Queen now.
“Yes. We’re a year apart, your majesty.” Seohyun replied, her head automatically nodding slightly in respect as she spoke.
“And so I’ve heard.” The Queen smiled –All too obviously, fake. “You’re milestones apart status-wise.” Seohyun’s jaw slightly dropped, appalled and embarrassed as she thought about a possible reply. “Or so I’ve heard.” She added, presenting herself with the phony smile again.  
“Omma…” His voice came out as a whine with hints of frustration at the ends. “You promised that we wouldn’t talk about stuff like that.” Siwon rolled his eyes as he let out a sigh. “I thought we had a deal.”
“It was bound to be brought up sooner or later; it’s not like the public would just forget if we ignore it.” She turned her eyes from her son over to Seohyun. “What intentions do you have in marrying my son?” Seohyun tilted her head slightly to the right, dwelling on the question for a moment before tiling her head to the left. There was no intention; no… that was a lie. How was she supposed to answer her question? She needed to find her brother because her son kidnapped him? It was probably too dramatic for anyone to believe.
 “Omma!” Siwon got up on his feet, and pulled Seohyun up along with him. “I won’t marry a girl I don’t love! Even then, if she does intentions, it wouldn’t matter.” He turned his eyes over to his fiancée. “Not to me anyways.” With that, he –along with Seohyun dragging behind—departed from the tensioned room.


Did he really love her? She questioned as she watched Siwon look out the window. He was leaning against the wall with both his hands in his jean pockets, his eyes obvious of a troubled mind as he stared into the infinite darkness. But why else would he make her marry him? Somewhere deep down though, she thought he was crazy. Who would actually kidnap a child to make a woman marry him? The thought brought goose bumps to her arms, and she shook the thought away as quickly as it had come. Still, she couldn’t help but dwell on the initial question. Did he love her? Seohyun moved her legs back and forth, letting it hit the bed she was sitting on gently before departing for another trip. Coming back from his thoughts, he turned to look at his fiancée. She appeared to be deep in thought as well, but instead of leaving her in silence like that she had for him, he chose to disrupt her peace. “What are you thinking?” He asked, his voice casual.
“Nothing.” She lied, turning her eyes to the ground for the second time that day. Siwon tried to smile. She didn’t want to tell him, he thought, his heart sinking as the thought settled in his brain. He probably wouldn’t have cared if it was just any other girl that didn’t want to tell him things. They’re girls, he gets that. But because he cares for her, it hurts him that she simply can’t move herself around to tell him the things that bother her… He, at the very least, wants to somewhat share that trouble with her –Even if he can’t really help her with the situation. He wants to be the one she turns to. Siwon has a feeling that she won’t turn for a least a while, or maybe, not ever. He tried to hide his annoyance, and turned back to look at the moon.

It was the light within the darkness.

Ironic enough, that was what he wanted to be. Her light within the darkness.


Author's Note: So sorry for taking so long! This was comparitively a short chapter, but I couldn't think of a better way to end the chapter c; I hope you still liked it! I'm so sorry for my indecisiveness, and my delay =( Anyhow, tell me what you think? I think my writing style has changed slightly over the past few months =(