Part Two

Of Love and Idiocy

 

Baekhyun was frustrated. Really frustrated.

Everything was going well last night. He finally had to courage to kiss Chanyeol and it was perfect. No, correction: it would have been perfect if Chanyeol hadn’t fallen asleep.

Who falls asleep when your best friend is about to kiss you? Baekhyun grumbled and stuffed the croissant that was on his plate angrily into his mouth, earning him questioning looks from Sehun and Luhan whom he was seated with at the table in the hotel.

Luhan frowned, noticing Baekhyun's unusual attitude. “What’s wrong Baekhyun? Aren’t you excited to go to Disneyland today?”

“Oh I’m excited alright! So.ing.excited.” Baekhyun muttered, continuing to stuff the food into his already full mouth.

Baekhyun had been really upset with the situation. It seemed like Chanyeol didn’t remember anything at all from last night. Apparently the alcohol had a lot more effect on him than Baekhyun thought, since Chanyeol claimed he didn’t even remember getting back to the hotel. Baekhyun found it weird. Chanyeol didn’t seem all that drunk to him, but then again this was probably Chanyeol being… Chanyeol.

Luckily, Disneyland was able to set Baekhyun's mind on other things. It had after all been a while since he went to an amusement park and the first time to go together with everyone else. The weather was nice, the rides were fun and for a moment it almost seemed like a vacation. For a moment forgetting that there were fans following them the entire time, forgetting that they had practice first thing in the morning the next day and a concert in the evening.

Baekhyun was having fun and he tried to not pay too much attention to Chanyeol, since enjoying himself could be done perfectly fine without butterflies flying around in his stomach the entire time. But ignoring Chanyeol isn't exactly an easy task. Especially not when the tall rapper keeps attempting to strike up a conversation and most certainly not when your heart starts beating at an unhealthy rate whenever you hear the guy's voice. So when Chanyeol came to him to point out the toilet paper that was stuck under the shoe of one of the park’s visitors, Baekhyun knew he couldn’t stay mad for too long at Chanyeol and started laughing with him.

 

-+-+-+-

 

The day had gone by quick and all of the members were exhausted by the time they got back to the hotel, but that didn’t stop them from hanging out together in Kris and Tao’s room before heading to bed. Ever since their debut there weren’t a lot of opportunities like this to be together with all six of them, so they figured they’d make the best out of it.

They ended up talking about a lot of things and it seemed like everyone was excited and nervous about the upcoming concert. They’d be performing with their company sunbae, who had a lot more experience on stage than they had.

“Omo what if I fall down?” Tao wondered out loud, there was a slight panic in his voice noticeable. The other members laughed in response. Kyungsoo assured the maknae that even falling down wouldn’t be as embarrassing as his fail at their debut on Inkigayo, forgetting and stuttering the words he was supposed to say. Chanyeol, who was laughing real hard at this immediately agreed, saying nothing indeed could be as embarrassing. That response got him into an argument with Kai, who obviously was trying to defend Kyungsoo.

It didn’t take too long before Chanyeol latched himself to Baekhyun’s arm and started whining, exaggerating the whole situation. Baekhyun wasn’t prepared for the sudden touch of Chanyeol’s entire body resting against his arm. Which also meant he wasn’t prepared for the sudden wave of electricity going through his body. Baekhyun could’ve sworn the jolt was almost audible. He really needs to stop touching me without any warning, Baekhyun thought.

“Baekhyuuun, Kai is being mean too me.” Chanyeol said in a whiny voice, still hanging onto Baekhyun’s arm.

Baekhyun chuckled. “That’s because you are an idiot Chanyeol.”

“But you love this idiot don’t you?” Baekhyun shivered when he felt Chanyeol’s warm breath brush against his ear. It made his mind become fuzzy. Too fuzzy to pay attention to what Chanyeol had said.

Baekhyun shifted in his seat, fingers frantically typing away on his phone, touching random buttons in order to keep himself distracted. In order to pretend that Chanyeol wasn’t sitting so close and wasn’t affecting his heartbeat. Baekhyun didn't know why he ended up suggesting they'd play truth or dare, since there were probably better ideas to create some space between him and Chanyeol and he honestly hated the game. But the game ended up being interesting, despite the embarassing questions, and everyone was actually having a lot of fun. Chanyeol had scooted closer to the iphone, grinning widely whenever a new question would pop up, giving Baekhyun some breathing space. And the other members too were too engrossed in the game to stare at Baekhyun knowingly. Because Baekhyun knew all of the members knew, except for maybe Luhan who seemed to be on cloud nine most of the time.

It didn't calm Baekhyun's heart though. Just when it had slowed down it was send at an excruciating rate back immediately when Chanyeol’s words finally dawned on him.

 

But you love this idiot don’t you?

 

But you love this idiot don’t you?

 

The words kept reverberating in Baekhyun’s mind as he wondered what Chanyeol could have meant by that. He couldn’t have possibly--

 

 

But you LOVE this idiot don’t you?

 

No, it couldn’t be. Because then it meant Chanyeol knew? He actually knew all this time? No, that wasn’t possible, was it? You’re overthinking things Baekhyun, you’re overthinking things.

Baekhyun had troubles focusing his attention on the game the rest of the night. His stomach tightened with anxiety as he thought of what it meant if Chanyeol knew. Had he just been playing around with him all this time? Or worse, what if he pretended being oblivious because he couldn’t return Baekhyun’s feelings.

All of a sudden, Baekhyun wasn’t too sure any more about confessing.

 

-+-+-+-

 

“Are you okay Baekhyun? You seemed a bit out of it just now,” Chanyeol asked once they were back in their room again.

Baekhyun smiled faintly, “I’m fine, just a bit nervous about tomorrow I guess.” Chanyeol’s words still clouded his mind and he wondered if he should just ask him. “Chanyeol, about—“

“Baekhyun, there’s something I need to tell you when the concert’s over.” Chanyeol interrupted.

Baekhyun frowned at the sudden seriousness of Chanyeol’s voice. “Why can’t you say it now?” he questioned, voice quivering a bit.

“I think it’s better if I tell you after the concert.”

Baekhyun was starting to get uncomfortable. Chanyeol had to tell him something that was better told after the concert. Something that would probably distract him if Chanyeol told him know. It could only mean one thing.

 

Chanyeol was going to reject him.

 

There was a sudden stinging pain in Baekhyun’s chest and a barely audible okay, was the only sound he could bring out. Baekhyun wasn’t the type to cry easily, but he was having difficulties holding back his tears at that moment.

Was this why Kyungsoo didn’t have any confidence in confessing to Jongin?

He always encouraged Kyungsoo to confess since Jongin obviously had feelings for Kyungsoo too, but when Baekhyun stopped to think about it, Chanyeol wasn’t so easy to read. Sure it was pretty obviously the guy was excited most of the time, but he had no idea if Chanyeol liked him back the same way.

And Baekhyun had thought about the possibility of his feelings not being requited but he was never really bothered by it until now. He always thought he’d just figured out what to do when the moment arrived. But now that that moment was here and that it was almost so certain that Chanyeol was going to reject him, it was suffocating.

 

Baekhyun rolled onto his other side for the umpteenth time that night and flipped his pillow over to the cool side. He really needed to get some sleep since they were going to be practicing the whole day. Easier said than done.

Finding sleep with an anxious heart wasn’t easy and listening to Chanyeol’s light snoring made it even harder. Baekhyun wondered if it would have been weird if he got into Chanyeol’s bed. Probably.

He just really wanted to feel Chanyeol’s warmth against him.

Baekhyun decided to think about happy things. Happy things. He was going to perform in front of thousands of international fans tomorrow. He worked so hard for this. Happy things. He’d be standing on the same stage as Girl’s Generation. Baekhyun smiled, finally dozing off into sleep as he practiced his English introduction a few times in his head.

 

-+-+-+-

 

“We are one! We are EXO”

The fans screamed loudly when they introduced themselves. Baekhyun’s heart was beating rapidly. He smiled at the colorful light sticks swaying forth and back, his eyes scanned over the numerous placards the fans were holding. He never expected so many of them to carry their group’s name. This was overwhelming. He could feel the tears well up in his eyes as he stared at the thousands of fans. Baekhyun glanced over to Chanyeol, smiling when he saw a twinkle in the latter's eyes.

He never wanted the concert to end.

But it had to eventually. And he left the stage with a heavy heart after bowing countless times to the crowd.

 

“Jongin-ah, even though you guys just debuted, you’re already doing so much fanservice eh? Especially with our maknae… The fans are going to gossip about this.” Jonghyun laughed. They were backstage, celebrating the good start of their tour a bit before heading back to the hotel.

“Ah hyung, I think the fans know me and Taemin are just good friends.” Kai replied, subtlely brushing his hand against Kyungsoo’s, linking his fingers with his. Baekhyun noticed this and his jaw fell slack.

Something must have happened.

He smiled at the sight of the two, but decided he’d ask Kyungsoo for details later. He had his own problem to deal with for now. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol who was talking happily with Sunny and Minho. As if on cue, the tall rapper looked back at him, smiling when their eyes met. Baekhyun could feel the corners of his mouth curl up automatically. How could he not smile back at that face. He was in love with every single detail of it.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both left their respective conversation partners and walked over to each other. Eyes never breaking contact.

“Hey,” Baekhyun said once Chanyeol was close enough.

“Hey,” Chanyeol responded in a deep voice.

“About what you said yesterday…” Baekhyun started hesitantly.

Chanyeol smiled, “I’ll tell you when we get back to our room, okay?”

No, not okay. Not okay because Baekhyun wasn’t ready for this.

Baekhyun could only nod in response.

 

-+-+-+-

 

“Don’t you think tonight was amazing?” Chanyeol beamed.

They were back in their hotel room and Baekhyun knew what that meant. But so far this was going well. A conversation about the concert. This he could handle. “Yeah, I didn’t think there’d be so many fans shouting for us.”

“Yeah…”

And then silence fell between them. This wasn’t good. Baekhyun fidgeted, he needed to keep the conversation going.

“Baekhyun, I—“ Chanyeol started.

Baekhyun interrupted him quickly, “and weren’t you surprised that they actually were able to sing along to our lyrics. I mean most of them probably don’t even speak Korean or Chinese and they were singing along with Mama and History and,” He didn’t even know what he was saying anymore. But it didn’t matter, anything was fine. Anything to—

“Baekhyun, I think I’m in love with someone.” Chanyeol’s deep voice resonated through the room.

Anything to distract Chanyeol from saying something like that.

Okay, so Chanyeol was in love with someone. His best friend, whom he was in love with, was in love with someone else. Okay, Baekhyun could deal with this. He could be happy for Chanyeol. But the thing is, he wasn’t. He felt terrible and overcome with envy because there was someone who would be able to receive Chanyeol’s love and it hadn’t been him.

Tears sprung in his eyes and Baekhyun had to turn around and find something to keep himself busy with in order for Chanyeol not to notice it.

“Baekhyun, have you heard what I said?”

“Yeah, I’m happy for you and that person is very lucky, and I hope you’ll be happy together and yeah…” Baekhyun had to stop there since his voice was starting to break and he didn’t want to seem like a bad friend who couldn’t be happy for him.

“Baekhyun, the reason I’m telling you is, this person…is amazing in so many ways—“

 

Oh sure. Go ahead, tell me all about how perfect this person is. Just don’t forget to close the door when you’re done trampling all over my feelings.

Baekhyun knew he wasn’t being fair, he really should be happy for Chanyeol. But he could feel his heart tighten more with every word Chanyeol said. He didn't think it would hurt this bad.

 

“And at first we were just really good friends, but then one day that person confessed to me and I didn’t even realize it was a confession at first,”

 

He didn’t even realize it with this person too? He really is an idiot…

 

“but when I did, I slowly started falling for him…”

 

Did he say ‘him’? It couldn’t be a guy?

 

“And that person kept trying to confess to me because he thought I didn’t realize his feelings for me, but I thought it was so cute I wanted him to keep doing these things and ended up pretending not to notice.”

 

Waitwhat?

 

It was especially hard to lie when he gave me these flowers with a card attached to it that had an incredibly cheesy line of text and his name on it,”

 

Chanyeol, what are you saying

 

“And it was hard holding my laughter when he decided to sing for me, it was endearing really, only the song he chose was a bit weird.”

 

“Yah! How was I supposed to know what the lyrics were about?” Baekhyun shouted as he turned around to face Chanyeol, face flushed.

Chanyeol smiled at him. “And it seems like he only just now realized I was talking about him.”

Then it hit Baekhyun. Chanyeol had been talking about him. Him. Chanyeol was in love with him. Not someone else. And he was in love with Chanyeol. Baekhyun knew he should feel happy, but there were too many emotions running through him.

“So you knew? You knew how I felt, and decided to just ignore it, play with my feelings a bit?” Baekhyun was no longer able to hold back the tears he had been fighting all this while.

Chanyeol fumbled with his fingers and looked down. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to do that. It’s just that, you were so cute…, and when you kissed me the other night, I was so happy I didn’t know what to do, that’s why I decided to finally tell you now—”

“YOU WERE AWAKE?” Baekhyun screamed. He couldn’t believe this. “Do you have any idea how much courage I had to gather to do that?”

Chanyeol took a few steps closer to Baekhyun and reached out his hand to tug at Baekhyun’s sleeve and pull the shorter boy closer to him. “I’m really sorry—“

Baekhyun let Chanyeol pull him into a hug. The taller’s arms wrapped around his body made him forget why he was angry in the first place. He let his head rest against Chanyeol’s chest and listened to the latter’s steady breathing. Baekhyun snickered. “So you like me huh?”

 

-+-+-+-

 

Dating Chanyeol wasn’t exactly how Baekhyun imagined it to be. Not that Baekhyun didn’t like it. On the contrary, every day spent with Chanyeol was a good day. A day full of emotions and crazy heartbeats that Baekhyun never thought he’d be able to handle. He liked dating Chanyeol. They just didn’t seem to do the stuff other couples do. The stuff normal couples do. Holding hands, kissing, taking romantic baths together, .

Okay maybe Baekhyun was getting ahead of himself with that last part, it after all had been only a week since they were together. But it irked Baekhyun that nothing really changed from the way they were before. And the only kiss he and Chanyeol had shared until now was the one where Chanyeol had pretended to be asleep.

And it wasn’t even entirely Chanyeol’s fault. Baekhyun hadn’t exactly been on the initiating side either.

“Baekhyun, are you okay? You’ve been standing there with that toothbrush in your mouth for quite a while now.” Suho said, peeking into the bathroom.

Baekhyun spit out the toothpaste in his mouth and rinsed his mouth. “Yeah, sorry, going to bed now hyung.”

 

Chanyeol was already lying in his bed when Baekhyun closed the door of their room behind his back. He made his way over to Chanyeol’s bed and pulled away the covers. He was Chanyeol’s boyfriend after all, so doing this wasn’t so weird right?

“Move over.”

“Baekhyun, wha—“

“I’m sleeping with you tonight so move over.”

Chanyeol was too perplexed to say anything so he just moved over and let Baekhyun slide into the bed. The bed was small and Chanyeol was tall so Baekhyun had to squeeze himself next to Chanyeol in order to fit in. Chanyeol, who was pressed against the wall, scrunched his face when Baekhyun elbowed him unintentionally.

“I’m sorry was this a bad idea? I can—“

Baekhyun moved, but a strong arm pulled him back and prevented him from getting out of the bed. “No, stay. I like this.” Chanyeol grinned.

Baekhyun curled into Chanyeol’s body as the latter pulled him closer. This was how he wanted them to be. Now the only things that was left was…

Baekhyun closed his eyes, seeing white behind them as he placed his lips on Chanyeol’s. He pulled back again quickly, a light pink coloring his cheeks.

“H—how was it?”

Chanyeol smirked, fingers fumbling with the hem of Baekhyun’s shirt. “I don’t know, it was too fast. Maybe if you do it aga—”

Chaneol was cut off by Baekhyun leaning in until their lips met again. The kiss was longer this time. Slower. Intense. Baekhyun thought his head was about to burst as he tried to keep up with the movements of Chanyeol’s lips against his. And he wondered where his boyfriend learned how to kiss like this, but any thoughts immediately faded into oblivion when he felt something wet tracing his bottom lip. Baekhyun let himself drown in the flood of emotions. After a few minutes, maybe hours, Baekhyun had no idea, they finally pulled apart. Both gasping for air. Chests moving up and down rapidly. Baekhyun couldn't stop himself from letting a breathy “I love you” escape his lips.

“I love you too Baekhyunnie, you’re my best friend” Chanyeol teased.

“Idiot” Baekhyun murmured before placing his lips on Chanyeol’s again.

 


 

A/N: Okay so as most of you probably know AFF was having some problems, and this chapter was taken down. They said they'd be restoring the lost data and everything and I patiently waited a week, but the chapter still wasn't back so yeah I just put it up again... There might be a few changes but nothing big. :) 

Hope you enjoyed Of Love And Idiocy ^^

Thank you for all the nice comments, they're really appreciated!

Much love~<3