Chapter 2

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

***

Siwon worked at a high-end cafe at the centre of Seoul as a barista. The cafe would get so crowded at lunch and dinner time. Siwon didn't even have time to breathe at those hours. But to his surprise, the cafe wasn't as crowded as usual even though the clock had struck 12 already. Siwon had just done serving a customer when he felt his phone vibrated in his pocket. He reached for his phone and looked at the caller's ID. Unknown number. He pretty much hesitated before he finally picked it up.

"Hello?" He said in a low tone. No answer. Just when he was about to end the call, he heard a shrilling scream from the other end of the line. "SIWONNIEEE!!!" He immediately knew who it was. The only person in the world who dares to yell at him that way. "Sooyoung." He said, in a low tone, again. "Hey! How have you been? How's life in Korea?" Sooyoung was Siwon's schoolmate in high school. As soon as they graduated, she flew to Japan with her family to stay there because of family business reasons, she said. He didn't hear so much from her since the day she flew there, though. Only on new years, birthdays, and christmas.

"I've been good. How about you? Finished your study there?" Siwon somehow found out that Sooyoung studied in a law school there. He forgot who told him, but it was certainly not from Sooyoung herself. "That's it? You've been good? Come on! You can do better than that! I'm your best friend!" She snapped at him. Siwon smirked a little. "Well, not that I heard much about you, though." She didn't respond. They fell silent for some moments but no one hung up the phone. Sooyounng finally broke the ice.

"I, uh... I'm flying back there this evening actually. And yes, I've finished my study here." Her excited tone faded away. Siwon felt guilty, she might be offended by his words. "Oh, want me to pick you up? I can have my friends to back me up here." He got a feeling that she had also found out that he had been working as a barista. "NO! No.. You don't have to. My, uh.. My cousin will pick me up. Besides, you have to rest! If you want to meet up, we can do it tomorrow. At 5?" Siwon thought for a moment and nodded. "Okay, five it is. See you soon." Click.

***

"Yuri! let's grab lunch! I'm starving hereeee." Jessica whined like there was no tomorrow. But Yuri just flashed a smile without turning her focus from her monitor. She had been working hard on her first day of work. "Come on Yuri, you really don't want her to starve, she can kill you." Said Tiffany as she approached Yuri. "Thanks for the offer, but I'm not done yet. You can grab lunch first and I'll catch you up." Jessica rolled her eyes. She exchanged looks with Tiffany. 

"I know this is your first project, but don't be really hard on yourself! We're here not just to supervise your works, we're your guardian angels!" Yuri laughed at Tiffany's statement. She finally turned her head to face them. She hesitated for a while then she nodded. "Okay, I'm in." Jessica and Tiffany hugged each other as if they had won something big. "That's the spirit! Besides, you can ask Kai to help you with your works. He's all yours, dear." Yuri was confused by Jessica's words. "Oh right, he's not here yet. I'll make him join our lunch then. Let's go." Then the 3 of them got out from the office.

They decided to have lunch at a small diner accross the office. The diner wasn't so crowded but not so quiet either. After thet ordered their food, they heard someone rushed from the door, to their table. Yuri looked up to see who it was. A young man, probably in high school senior year. He had the friendliest smile Yuri had ever seen. 

"Hello! Sorry for not making it this morning, I got a new paper route and I was kind of lost." He explained without fading his smile. As soon as he saw Yuri, he looked confused. "By the way, Kai, this is Yuri. Yuri, this is Kai. Maybe Mr. Cho had mentioned his real name before. It's Kim Jongin. Just don't ask where he got the nickname." Yuri and Kai shook hands, and Kai sat beside Yuri. He didn't order any food.

"Guys, I forgot to tell you this! The Grotesque Bar is celebrating their 20th anniversary today! All the drinks will be half-priced!" Said Jessica, she sounded really jubilant. "I'm in!" Said Tiffany and Kai simultaneously. "You're underaged!" Snapped Tiffany. Kai pouted. Yuri thought he looked really cute that way. "How about you, Yuri? You're coming with us, right? Girls night out! It can help your project in lifestyle column too!" Yuri shook her head. "Sorry, but I had something to do tonight, I guess you two will be having some fun tonight." Jessica and Tiffany looked disappointed by Yuri turning them down. "Hey, don't be sad. There's always a next time right?" Said Yuri. "The Grotesque Bar? Wait, I think I read something about it this morning on the paper.... Ah! The owner lives near our office!" The 3 girls turned their attentions to Kai immediately. "There are chances he might be living in our neighborhood. Does the name Ok Taecyeon rings anyone's bells?" 

***

It was 7pm and Yuri just got out from her office when suddenly she spotted a familiar car parked in front of her office. A man came out from the car and approached Yuri. "I didn't ask you to pick me up." She said in a cold way. The man just chuckled. "Oh great, did I raise you the wrong way?" Siwon patted his sister's head. "Let's go home." He was about to drag her to the car when she pulled away.

"Wait! I have to go to the airport now. Boss asked me to meet someone." Siwon looked bewildered. "Meeting? At the airport?" She raised her eyebrows. She also had no idea what she had to do there, she didn't even know who she was supposed to meet. But she couldn't object the boss' order. "Okay, I'll get you there. Jump in." Then Siwon drove to the airport right away.

***

Siwon and Yuri arrived at the airport at 7.50pm, perfect timing. When they walked in to the terminal, they were surprised to see so many reporters and cameras there. They had no idea what was going on, so Siwon decided to ask around. "The son of Korea's most powerful businessman, Lee Jungmin, is flying in. He's gonna be his successor." A reported asnwered Siwon's question. The name Lee Jungmin was familiar in Siwon's ears. He read many articles on the newspaper regarding him. "Lee Jungmin's successor? Oh crap, that means I have to survive in this malignant ocean of reporters. Wish me luck, brother." Siwon  laughed, looking at his sister's worried face. 

Just a couple of minutes later, the crowd went wild. Everyone was rushing to the arrival door. Siwon and Yuri ran towards it too. Lee Jungmin's son had arrived. Yuri quickly put her smartphone into video recording mode, hoping she could get anything worth writing in the business column. "There they come!" Said the crowd. Yuri and Siwon were confused. They? Lee Jungmin has 2 successors? Yuri and Siwon kept pushing to the front until they could get a clearer view of the superstar. 

No, Lee Jungmin didn't have 2 successor whatsoever. "Lee Donghae! How's business in Japan? And who's the girl?" The reporters shouted in unison. Yuri paid attention to Lee Jungmin's son who was named Lee Donghae. Lee Donghae flashed a smile to the reporters. Yuri was surprised by his friendly actions. "Business in Japan is always good. Oh, and here is my fiance. Choi Sooyoung."

Yuri immediately turned her head to Siwon. She was right, he looked as pale as a vampire.

***