Chapter 1

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

***

"Wake up Yuri! You'd be late for work!" Yuri's brother, Choi Siwon busted in Yuri's room. The alarm clock had been ringing since he didn't know when, but his sister was still peacefully asleep on bed. He opened the curtain and the window. It was a nice sunny day. The sun shone so bright and warm. He took some deep breaths and turned around to see Yuri. She was still in bed even though -- from the frowns on her forehead-- she was blinded by the sunshine.

"Wake up sleepy head. Today's the first day of work! You don't want to mess this up." He uncovered Yuri from her blanket. Yuri immediately sat straight up. "I'm up, I'm up. Just don't wet this sheet. It's new." Yuri said sleepily as she walked towards the bathroom. Today was Yuri's first day of work. She'd be working at Seoul Today newspaper. 

Choi Yuri was a daughter from Mr. Choi Seunghyun and Mrs. Kim Minji. Yuri's mother died giving birth to her. So Yuri was raised purely by his father. Yuri had an older brother, Choi Siwon, and an older sister, Choi Yoona. Siwon was 3 years older, and Yoona was a year older. Since she was a kid, she was taught things a father would taught his son to do. Playing football, cars, video games, martial arts, even guns. Different from Yoona, who was taught girly things such as ballet, piano, and cooking. Not only their interests, but their personalities were also different. Yoona was always cheerful and happy, she always smiled wherever and whenever. And Yuri, she was more like the cold one. Shy, introvert, grouchy. She never had friends in school. No one knows why the two sisters could be that different.

When Yuri turned 8, her father died of leukimia. Since then, her aunt, Kim Taeyeon, and her uncle, Kim Jungsoo took care of her and her siblings. But one day, her uncle went away and never came back. Leaving the four of them alone in the house. Until now.

"Go grab your breakfast quick, you'd be fired if you're late." Taeyeon said when she saw Yuri coming down the stairs. Siwon who had been sitting on the dining table gave Taeyeon a glance. Yuri headed straight to the door, not saying any words.

"You shouldn't say that." Said Siwon as he put his coffee cup on the table. "I was true, right? She is always a latecomer. I'm not responsible if she is fired on the first day. Ah, here she comes. Good morning, Yoona!" Yoona came down the stairs and greeted them with smiles. She dressed nicely. Yoona was working as a photographer for a well-known korea's travel magazine. Her photoshoots received great responds from senior photographers. One day, she could be a famous world photographer.

"Good morning, ahjumma, good morning, oppa!" She walked towards them. "I'm sorry but I don't think I can join you for breakfast, I have an appointment today. Wish me luck! Oh by the way, where's Yuri?" She turned her head right and left, looking for her sister. Siwon raised his eyebrows. "She had left. She's already late." He said. Yoona nodded. She waved them goodbye and headed to the door.

***

Yuri was walking to her new office, when suddenly someone tapped her shoulder. She was so startled she almost hit the person on his face. It was Ok Taecyeon. Taecyeon was Yuri's shoolmate in high school. They never had a close relationship, but somehow they managed to get in touch this far. Thanks to Taecyeon's friendly nature. He would say hi to everyone he knew.

"Yes, Choi Yuri. Where are you going? It's still early." He said as he followed Yuri. Yuri didn't answer. She was walking at a fast pace until she reached the intersection. She didn't exactly know where her office was located. She turned her head right and left confused. Then Taecyeon chuckled. "Choi Yuri is always gonna be Choi Yuri. If you're looking for Seoul Today's office, turn left, go straight, and it'll be right around the corner." Yuri turned to him. "Mind your own business." Then she walked away.

But Ok Taecyeon was not Ok Taecyeon if he gave up. He kept following Yuri. "Hey, the first day of work is gonna be the biggest day ever. Wear a smile, be bright, be smart. Don't frown like that, you'd gain enemies. Enemies in office aren't gonna be the nice ones." Then suddenly Yuri stopped. She turned around and face him. Just when she opened , he cut her.

"No one will be lost on their way to their offices. Unless it's their first day, if that's what you're gonna ask. Okay! I'll stop here. You can go in by yourself. Make a good impression!" He waved her goodbye and walked away.

***

"Thanks for making it this early! Sorry for having such a bad schedule." Yoona's client welcomed her as she entered her client's house. It wasn't a big one, but it had that cozy and peaceful atmosphere. Yoona bowed and smiled. "It's okay, I'm also a morning person. So, how are you, sir?" asked Yoona politely. Her client, Mr. Lee Jungmin was a successful businessman. He was one of the most powerful man in South Korea. "I'm fine, I'm very fine, indeed! Ah, sorry for being impolite, but let's talk straight to the point. I don't have much time for chit chats. So, tell me about the concept." Yoona immediately took out her tablet and her organizers. 

"I will make your department store the main focus of the page, so I think I need the spokesperson of the department store to be interviewed for the article." Mr. Lee then laughed. He also nodded in agreement. "You read my mind! It's even better than spokesperson, my successor will do the job!" Yoona seemed a bit surprised by his words. "Successor? Does that mean you'll retire soon?" And the laugh faded. Mr. Lee took off his reading glasses and smiled humbly at Yoona. He looked somehow sad.

"I'm already 79 years old. I'm turning 80 next month. I've been dealing with business for my entire life I've forgot to breathe. My body is not as young as before, I don't think I can handle that much tension with the company. And I think, it's time for my son to show the world how capable is he. I've sacrificed time and space for his education. Will all of that be worth his ability to run the company? We'll see...." Yoona felt touched listening to Mr. Lee's story. She never knew a successful businessman like him could feel that way.

"By the way, is here here? Your son?" Mr. Lee shook his head. Then he stood up from the couch, walked towards the fridge, and  grabbed the sticky notes on the door. He gave it to her. "Incheon Airport, 8.00 pm. Flight OZ789. You'll meet him there."

***

"That's the new girl? Are you serious? Can she be anymore y?" Yuri overheard 2 employees gossips on their desks as Yuri walked to the boss' office She knocked the door 3 times, and a voice told her to come in. She opened the door and stood there facing her new boss.

"Good morning, Ms. Choi. Well, please familiarize yourself with this office, since this will be your second home." Mr. Cho Kyuhyun, the Editor In-Chief of Seoul Today welcomed her. She gave a slight smile and sat down in front of Mr. Cho's desk. "As you know, now you're going to help our editor on business column, and our editor on lifestyle column. They are Ms. Hwang Tifanny, and Ms. Jung Jessica. Ah, there's also one person who will help you. It will be.... Let's see.... Kim Junsu is packed, Kim Junho is oversea, Lee Sunkyu... Oh she's fired." Mr. Cho kept talking to himself as he flipped over some files on his desk. After some hectic moment, he finally found the one he was looking for.

"AH! Here he is. Kim Jongin! He's an intern. I think he can learn a lot from a fresh graduate like you. So, that's it! You can start working now, your desk is beside Ms. Hwang and Ms. Jung's desks. And Mr. Kim's desk.... I don't think he needs one. Your work is already on your table, have a good day." Then he turned his chair around. Facing the chair's back on Yuri. Just when Yuri was about to open the door, Mr. Cho yelled.

"WAIT!" He turned around to face Yuri. "I need you to do something for me." Mr. Cho smiled. Smirked, to be exact. "What is it?" Yuri asked. "Incheon Airport, 8.00 pm. Flight OZ789." Then he turned his chair around. Again.

***