Final

Can't (Oneshot)

 

"I like you." 
 
"What?" 
 
"You heard me."
 
Silence. The two just looked at each other, awkwardness filling in the air. 
 
"Well, answer me." 
 
Sungjong unconsciously took a step back from Myungsoo, shocked by his sudden confession. The truth is, Sungjong likes Myungsoo but was it the same type of like that Myungsoo felt for him? 
 
"You like me?" 
 
He nodded. 
 
"Like as a friend, as a band mate or..." 
 
Myungsoo took two steps forward so he could be a few inches apart from the younger. 
 
"I like you. Much more than just a friend." 
 
As Sungjong was about to speak, he felt soft lips come in contact with his and he couldn't help but fall into this luscious kiss. He slowly closed his eyes, his hands making their way to the back of Myungsoo's neck to make the kiss deeper but instead it stopped by his chest and pushed Myungsoo off of him. Myungsoo looked at Sungjong with obvious hurt in his eyes, completely disappointed by his action. 
 
"I can't."
 
"Why can't you? You obviously like me back. The same way I like you. So why can't you?" 
 
Sungjong avoided Myungsoo's captivating gaze, biting his bottom lips as he thinks of an answer. 
 
"See." Myungsoo's arm grips around Sungjong's waist. "You can't think of a reason." He was about to plant another kiss onto Sungjong's lips but was stopped. 
 
"I really can't." He steps back to form distance between them. 
 
Myungsoo's eyebrows furrows, his heart beating rapidly just by the thought of being rejected by the person he's been wanting for two years. Yes, two years he has waited. Waited for small signals of affection from the younger, waited for the perfect timing to confess, waiting for so long to come to this moment for nothing but heartache. He doesn't know what he would do if he weren't able to have this sweet, angelic being that is Sungjong. 
 
"Hyung... We can't do this." 
 
"Why?..." He asks, his voice barely a whisper. Myungsoo wasn't the type to cry easily, but when he did, it was either he was really hurt or really touched and right now, it was close to hurt than touched. 
 
"We're band mates. We can't be in a... Relationship with each other. What if it ends badly? Then what? Do you really think we can work together? Think of the other members of Infinite." Sungjong sprouted any reason he could muster to avoid being in this situation with Myungsoo. It's not that he didn't want to be in a relationship with him, it was just that, he thought of the negative outcomes and it scared him. He wasn't ready for a commitment with anyone just yet. He was still 18. Sure, you're considered an adult at that age but Sungjong just didn't feel like he could take on something like a relationship just yet. Plus, he was frightened. This would be his first ever relationship since he was born and he didn't know how it would turn out. 
 
"Don't think about the rest of Infinite right now. What do you want?" Myungsoo emphasised on the word 'you' to let the younger understand that it was his decision and it shouldn't be affected by anyone else. 
 
"I can't, hyung..." Sungjong's voice nearly broke but he composed himself to show that he was dead serious about his decision. 
 
"Can't, or won't?" 
 
Sungjong finally looks into Myungsoo's eyes, giving him a look that was begging him to understand.
 
"Fine. You can't. I get it." Myungsoo turns around to leave Sungjong's bedroom but Sungjong grabs his wrist. 
 
"I'm sorry." He whispers. 
 
Myungsoo releases himself from Sungjong's grip. "Just give me time to deal with this. And to get over you." 
 
"Hyung, I'm really sor-" 
 
"You're sorry. I get it. Don't wo-worry about it." His voice trembles as he breaks into tears, tears he had been trying to hold back since Sungjong said he couldn't accept his confession. 
 
Sungjong heard Myungsoo's whimpers and his heart broke at the sound. He had made someone he cherished cry and he couldn't forgive himself for that. It wasn't his intention to hurt him, but it was inevitable. 
 
"Hyung... We're going to be okay, right?" 
 
Myungsoo wipes away his tears, puts a smile on his face and turns to Sungjong. "Yeah. We're gonna be okay. Just forget this happened, yeah?" 
 
All Sungjong could do was nod and watch as Myungsoo left his room and close the door...