Chapter 14: Past

SMTOWN: The Curse

9th February 2017, 4.00PM

 

The temperature of the air-conditioner was too cold, in Luhan’s opinion. He never liked the cold, anyway. When he was about to reach for the remote to increase the temperature slightly, the patient in front of him narrowed her eyes at him and ordered, “Don’t. The cold is nice.”

 

Luhan’s hand that was reaching out for the remote control immediately retracted itself. The psychologist raised his eyebrows questioningly but he did not comment anything. Instead, he observed the young woman in front of him.

 

Park Sunyoung, also known as Park Luna, looked better than the last time he had seen her. That time, she looked lifeless but now, there were colours to her cheeks. Her lips were not as pale and she definitely seemed brighter.

 

“How have you been, Luna-sshi?” he asked casually, trying to start a light conversation with his patient. Even though he looked like he was not nervous, he actually was anxious. It was his first time trying to find out things from his patient for his own personal gain. He did not like it at all. It felt wrong, somehow.

 

“I’m great,” the patient chirped happily as though she had not imitated the reporter that announced her ex-boyfriend’s death the other time.

 

“That’s good, then,” Luhan said approvingly. “Are you still paranoid about being watched and all?”

 

Instead of answering his question, Luna leaned forward and whispered, “Want to know a secret?” Luhan raised his eyebrow quizzically. “I am being watched.” Then, the young woman leaned against her seat again, smiling angelically at him.

 

Luhan tried to shake off the uneasy feeling that he felt. Unfortunately, his attempt was absolutely futile. He let out a sigh. He might as well start digging about Mirror now. Sooner or later, he had to do it, anyway. “Do you remember our first session, Luna-sshi?” he asked.

 

“Of course I do!” Luna exclaimed like it was the most obvious thing ever. “I tried to kill you, remember?” The way she said it was too casual that it was making Luhan feel more uneasy about the young woman in front of him. There definitely was something wrong with her.

 

“Do we know each other from before, Luna-sshi?” he asked gently, trying to coax her into telling him the truth.

 

“You’ve changed, Xi Luhan. You’ve changed too much.”

 

Those words still rang clear in his mind. It had been disturbing him and he was dying to find out what she meant by that. In a way, asking about Mirror to his patient was actually an opportunity for him to ask that question.

 

A small chuckle escaped Luna’s lips and the young woman grinned. “If I say that I was from SeoulBoarding School, would you believe me?” she asked.

 

“Yes,” he answered truthfully.

 

Another small chuckle escaped her lips, causing Luhan to be wary of Luna. He had to remind himself that he was facing a mental patient right now. That was why her reaction was a little bit strange.

 

“You see, you were my crush during that time,” she told him bluntly without feeling the slightest bit shy. “But then, rumours had it that you and Yoona were dating so I tried to move on from you by dating Jonghyun. Gradually, I fell in love with him but he ended up leaving me for his damned career.”

 

Luhan nodded and took down some notes on his notebook. “How did you know I was dating Yoona at that time?” he asked, feeling a little bit alarmed. How many people had known about his relationship with Yoona at that time?

 

“Yuri unnie told me so,” the patient answered nonchalantly.

 

“Kwon Yuri?” Luhan asked as his eyes widened in shock and disbelief. He could not believe it. During that time, Yuri had asked him to do a million ridiculous things in order to keep shut but that just had to reveal it to someone.

 

“Mm-hmm,” Luna murmured in affirmation. “She told me so herself and showed me a picture of the two of you kissing. She told me that she could get the both of you suspended or expelled if I wanted but then I told her no as revenge is totally not my style.”

 

Luhan was silenced by her explanation. He did not know what to say to the younger woman. A minute ticked by and he still had not said anything yet. He let out a small sigh. “You and Yuri seemed to be close,” he commented casually, trying to dig more about the girl from Luna.

 

“Well, we were family friends,” Luna told him without showing the slightest bit of suspicion. “That’s why we were quite close with each other. She was like my older sister. Too bad she hated you to the core for some unknown reason.”

 

She hated me?” Luhan repeated in disbelief. He snorted to himself. What right did she have to hate on him?

 

The patient nodded absentmindedly. “She hated you, Yoona, Hyoyeon and eight others that I’m too lazy to list down,” she told him. Then, she let out a bitter laugh. “Yuri unnie was crazy.”

 

Even though Luna did not list down the other names, Luhan had a pretty good idea on who they were. He did not know whether Luna meant to say that Yuri was crazy in the literal way or affectionate way. But then, it did not matter.

 

He got what he wanted already; information.

 

“Since you were my crush, let me tell you a secret,” Luna said in a hushed tone. Luhan leaned closer to her in order to hear what she wanted to say.

 

“My brother, Park Jungsu, also known as Leeteuk oppa, was the one who carried out the death sentence on Yuri unnie.”

 


 

9th February 2017, 4.30PM

 

Ever since Kim Jonghyun died, the four other idols had no schedules. Their company and managers told them that they were given a month off in order to rest and get over the death of their main vocalist. Taemin was thankful for that. Really, he was.

 

But the hard thing about not having any schedules, it meant that they would have more time replaying the moments that they had with Jonghyun. Taemin hated that for whenever he thought of the older guy, his grief came back. He knew that what he felt was nothing compared to what Jonghyun’s family felt. It had to be very horrible for them and he could not help but feel sorry for them. He wished there was something to do for them.

 

And there was actually something he could do.

 

He could find out the truth about Jonghyun’s death. He and the other nine people would unveil the truth. They would show the world who Mirror was and what she had done even if it would ruin them.

 

That was why he approached Key, in order to find out more about the girl Jonghyun was seeing before he died just like how Taeyeon told him to. It was the perfect time, really. Minho and Onew were out buying groceries for dinner that night which left him and Key alone to have their cosy little talk.

 

Key was resting on his bed as Taemin entered their room. He sat down on the edge of his own bed before looking at the older guy. He observed Key carefully. Key’s eyes were swollen, indicating that he had been crying.

 

Key hyung must have been thinking about Jonghyun hyung’s death again, he thought to himself. A sense of pity began to overwhelm him and he decided not to ask the older guy right now. Taemin did not want to add on to Key’s burden. Just as he was about to stand up, Key said, “If you have anything to say, just say it.”

 

That simple sentence made Taemin sit down on his bed again. He let out a small sigh. He felt nervous about talking to Key about this. He was afraid of finding out the truth. He was afraid of knowing that the girl Jonghyun was dating had something to do with his death.

 

“Hyung, I know about Jonghyun hyung seeing someone before he died,” Taemin blurted out. Since he found no use in beating around the bush, he decided to just get to the point.

 

Key sat up on his bed and looked at the younger guy carefully. “How did you know that?” he asked quietly but his eyes were almost glaring at him

 

Taemin shrugged. “I heard the two of you talk about it before,” he lied through his teeth. He was lucky that he was actually a pretty good liar as Key usually could see through lies easily.

 

Key let out a sigh. “Yeah, he was seeing someone,” he admitted. “But don’t tell anyone about this, okay?”

 

Taemin nodded, acting like he would actually keep this information to himself when the truth was, he would be sharing this with the other nine graduates from SeoulBoarding School. “Who was he seeing?” he asked, acting casual.

 

The older guy just shrugged. “I don’t know,” he replied, frowning. Then, a bitter laugh escaped his lips and a mocking smile began to form on his lips. “Jonghyun hyung did not even know, actually.”

 

At that, Taemin raised his eyebrows quizzically. He was confused. What did Key mean by that? He kept mum, waiting for the older guy to continue.

 

“They met at this website and the two of them began talking. Soon enough, they exchanged phone numbers and they started to text each other all day long,” Key told the younger guy after keeping the story to himself for such a long time. “I always had a bad feeling about this. We could never trust strangers on the internet.”

 

A small sigh was emitted before Key continued, “I warned Jonghyun hyung a million times and he was still stubborn. He insisted on keeping contact with that girl even though she only told him a fake name.” Key laughed bitterly again. “Then, they started dating without dating in reality.”

 

“What does that mean?” Taemin asked, unable to keep his curiosity to himself anymore.

 

“It means that the two of them got into a relationship without even meeting each other!” Key exclaimed. Taemin’s jaw dropped open in disbelief. Key, seeing the younger guy’s reaction, snorted. “I know. It was foolish of that guy. He was so foolish.”

 

Key closed his eyes but not before a tear slipped out of his right eye. Another tear spilled. Soon enough, more tears began streaming down the older guy’s cheeks. “Foolish people deserve what is coming their way,” he murmured softly. “Kim Jonghyun was a stupid fool for dating someone on the internet without meeting her.”

 

Taemin kept quiet as his mind began to race with thoughts. He remembered that the night Jonghyun went missing, he was actually at the amusement park. Before he left, he saw the older guy getting ready to go out. Jonghyun had even told him that he was about to meet someone and this was a way to get over his break up with Shin Se Kyung.

 

Could it be that Jonghyun hyung was meeting the girl he was dating?

 


 

9th February 2017, 8.00PM

 

Kwon Yuri’s house was grand and enormous. That was not a surprise as she came from a wealthy family. Not to mention her parents had this big business that made them into a filthy rich family. Also, the Kwon family was living in Cheongdamdong, the place where most wealthy families lived.

 

Sulli looked at the house and a brief memory began to play inside her mind. She remembered playing in the house with Yuri and another girl. She could not remember the girl’s face nor could she remember her name but she just shrugged it off, thinking that the detail was insignificant.

 

Sulli went out of her car and rang the doorbell. She had set up an appointment with Yuri’s older sister, Boa, to eat dinner with her in order to catch up. Sulli initially wanted to arrange a dinner with her parents but since both of them were in Singapore at the moment to settle some business, she made the plan with the oldest daughter instead.

 

It had been a long time since the two families communicated, anyway.

 

The gates opened and a maid ushered her in, leading her towards the dining room. At the dining room, Boa was sitting next to a guy that Sulli briefly remembered as Yuri’s older brother. She forgot his name, though, but it did not matter.

 

“Sulli-ah!” Boa exclaimed, delighted. “It’s so nice to see you again! You’ve grown up to be a lovely young lady.”

 

Sulli smiled bashfully before sitting down on the opposite of Boa as the maid guided her there. “It’s nice to meet you too, Boa unnie,” she replied. “You’ve gotten so much prettier.”

 

Boa chuckled good-naturedly. “Do you even remember what I looked like back then?” she asked. “I heard that you got into an accident a few years ago.”

 

Sulli smiled slightly in amusement. “Of course I remember you. I saw some photos of you and yeah, some memories did resurface in my mind but others were blurry,” she replied. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to take a look at Yuri unnie’s room. From what I barely remember, I used to play a lot with her in her room. Other than visiting, I actually wanted to make use of this opportunity to remember more about my past.”

 

Boa smiled. “Of course you can look into her room,” she responded. “Oh how rude of me not to introduce my younger brother to you. I doubt that you remember him as he and you actually never talk to each other. This is Jiyong. He actually just came back from America.”

 

Sulli nodded. She flashed the older guy a smile. “It’s nice to meet you,” she murmured. Instead of answering her, the older guy just stared at her in what looked like annoyance before nodding his head briefly. Soon, the food arrived and everyone began to dig in.

 

Most of the time, it was Sulli and Boa who were chattering. Jiyong was just sitting there silently watching Sulli which made the young woman feel crept out but she just shrugged it off, thinking nothing of it.

 

Soon enough, the dinner was over and Boa brought the younger girl to Yuri’s room to look around. Sulli looked around the room and a sense of familiarity began to fill her. She knew that she spent most of her time here, playing with Yuri. What she did not get was, why did Yuri hate her to the extent that she bullied her when the two of them used to be friends?

 

Three, a voice inside her head corrected as Sulli, once again, remembered the glimpse of three little girls playing with one another. One of them was Sulli and the other was Yuri. Unfortunately, her memory failed to remember the third girl. From what she remembered, the third girl and she were pretty close. But why couldn’t she remember the other girl?

 

Sulli shook off her thoughts and snapped back to reality when Boa said, “I shall leave you alone with your own thoughts, then, so that you can remember better.” Sulli nodded absentmindedly as Boa left the room, shutting the door with a quiet click.

 

Now, alone, Sulli began to look around the room more closely. She started with Yuri’s closet but she found nothing there except for her clothes that the family still decided to keep. Next, she dug through her drawers but she could find nothing important.

 

Sighing to herself, she dragged her feet to where Yuri’s favourite pink bag was. She ped it and looked inside. There was a small pink notebook and a pen in there. She took it out and flipped through it before realizing that this was her diary. Without even feeling guilty, she slipped the diary into her bag and zipped Yuri’s bag before placing it where it belonged.

 

Next, she approached Yuri’s study desk but it was empty. Next to it was actually a shelf filled with books and she scanned through the titles without really registering what the titles were.

 

Sulli let out a small sigh. She could not find anything else that seemed important. Absentmindedly, she headed over to the bedside table and pulled open the drawer underneath it.

 

A small gasp escaped her lips as soon as she saw what it contained. She picked up the frame of the photograph to look more closely at the picture.

 

The picture showed Yuri with her arms around two other girls and the three of them were smiling brightly at the camera. A chill went down her spine as she looked at the other two girls in the picture. One of them was her while the other was someone else with the exact same face as her but the only difference was Sulli’s hair was longer.

 

What’s the meaning of this? Who is this girl?

 

 

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! It's been exactly one month since I last updated this. I was busy with exams and projects and all of those school stuff that I just had no mood to write this chapter. To be honest, I kind of forgot what my plans were for this chapter hahaha. Anyway,  I can't wait to write the next chapter as some thing big will happen. XD

 

Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting! I hope you'll enjoy reading the next chapter! :)

P/S: I'll edit the chapter later.