Chapter 12: Do Kyungsoo

SMTOWN: The Curse

9th February 2017, 3.00AM

It was hard finding a café that was still open at this time since it was practically dawn. Lucky for them, Luhan knew a café that was open for twenty-four hours every day. After the ten graduates of Seoul Boarding School had decided to go home, Luhan had asked Yoona out to drink some hot chocolate. To be honest, he just wanted to ask her some questions. He was a little bit surprised to know that Yoona was also one of those people who had cursed Yuri that night.

The two of them sat down and placed their orders which were just two cups of hot chocolate to warm them up on a cold February night. They looked at each other in silence. It was quite awkward. What did people say to their ex when they met up, anyway?

“Why did you curse Yuri that night?” Yoona asked, breaking the awkward silence between them.

Luhan almost smiled when Yoona asked the question. His ex had always been a blunt person, anyway. He was glad that that trait of hers did not change. When he saw Yoona for the first time in years at Seoul Amusement Park a few days ago, the first thing that he noticed about her was she had become more gorgeous than before.

When he met her again at Lay’s office, he realized that he still harbored feelings for her. He missed her so much. He badly wanted to hold her in his arms again but he held himself back. Sure, Yoona might have found someone else but it did not hurt to try, right?

“I wanted to be able to date you freely without the constant threat of her threatening us to do stupid tasks for her,” Luhan answered after a moment of silence. The hot chocolate that they ordered soon came and he took a sip from his cup. “What about you?”

A soft sigh was emitted from her beautiful lips. She took a sip of the hot chocolate too before placing the cup down on the table. “Same here,” she responded. She placed her hands around the cup of hot chocolate and another sigh escaped her lips. “I didn’t know what I was thinking that night.”

“Nor do I,” Luhan replied quietly. “It seems like the only way at that moment.”

After that, silence enveloped them once again. They took small sips of their hot chocolate while trying hard not to stare at the other. The awkward silence was heavy in the air and Luhan did not like it. Yoona used to be his everything and he used to be able to talk to her about everything and nothing at the same time.

Luhan gritted his teeth as he remembered how Yuri had sneered at him ten years ago when he had refused to do something that she had told him to do. It was one day after the night he had cursed her. He had told her that she held nothing over him as he had broken up with Yoona but it turned out that Yuri had a picture of them kissing so it did not matter whether he had broken up with Yoona or not.

That one picture could destroy him and Yoona if it ever reached the teachers’ hands.

To say that Luhan felt remorseful would be a lie but then, he was not exactly happy about it either. It was clear that he would do it all over again if he had the choice, though, but to admit it out loud, it would make him sound like a heartless person.

But then, who was the one that was truly heartless?

In a way, performing that curse had caused them to be heartless too. It had killed their souls slowly. It had destroyed their humanity. It had made them tainted.

They cursed someone.

Nobody deserved that curse.

But to Luhan, the deserved it. She deserved it for being such a bully. She deserved it for blackmailing them. She deserved it. She was the one who pushed them to their limits. She was the one who forced them to do an act of desperation in order to get away from her clutches.

It was Kwon Yuri’s own fault.

She should blame herself and her bloody personality.

But Luhan, do you really believe she deserves it?


9th February 2017, 8.00AM

“So, can you do it for me?” Baekhyun asked his friend with hope shining in his eyes.

His friend, Park Chanyeol, just let out a small sigh. The young man just shook his head. “I can do it for you, Baek, but that doesn’t mean I will,” he replied. “It’s illegal to hack into people’s accounts, Baekhyun-ah. You know that. Don’t make me do something illegal please. I don’t want to get into trouble with law.”

Baekhyun let out a small whine. He lay down on top of Chanyeol’s bed. The first thing he had done after waking up was to wash up and go to his friend’s house. He wanted to get this Mirror thing behind him as soon as possible. They would do their parts in finding out who the hell Mirror was and then they would find that and after that….

After that…

After that…

Well, they would think about what they would do to Mirror later. What mattered was they had to stop this Mirror person from continuing to threaten them.

“Please, Yeol?” Baekhyun pleaded. “You owe me, remember? Do you remember when we were in college and I did your project for you because yours was a crappy one? You owe me one. This is very important to me. It’s a matter of life and death.”

Chanyeol let out a groan and glared at his friend. “Don’t bring that up!” he hissed. “Fine, I’ll do it for you and please, ‘a matter of life and death’? Stop exaggerating.”

I’m not exaggerating, Baekhyun wanted to say to defend himself but he stopped himself. The less Chanyeol knew the better it was. He did not want other parties to be involved in the mess that he had created himself.

He watched as Chanyeol switched on his laptop and started typing some things in codes that Baekhyun could not even understand. Minutes ticked by.

“What website did you want me to go to again?” Chanyeol asked, breaking the silence between them.

Baekhyun told him. It was a website of Seoul Boarding School. All the students and alumnae of the school had an account there and he wanted to know if Seohyun was still active in there or not. From what he remembered, the most active ones were Yuri, Jessica and Seohyun. Baekhyun did not even know what was so interesting about it.

“Seo Joohyun, right?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun just nodded in response.

He started to roll around on Chanyeol’s bed, getting bored, as the other was busy mumbling some incoherent things to himself. He wondered how that guy was able to hack into accounts. He would love to learn how to do that but he figured that it would be too complicated.

Byun Baekhyun never did like complicated things, anyway.

He did not know how much time had passed since he lay on top of his friend’s bed, waiting for Chanyeol to get any information of the young woman when his friend suddenly exclaimed, “I’ve got it!”

Baekhyun sat up on the bed as quick as lightning and approached where his friend was sitting at with his laptop in front of him.

“There’s nothing much on here, though,” Chanyeol told him, causing him to droop his shoulders in disappointment. “It basically shows her private messages with a guy named Do Kyungsoo. The last time they private messaged each other was five years ago and they decided to meet.”

“Who’s that Do Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asked curiously.

Chanyeol shrugged nonchalantly. “Beats me,” he replied. Then, he clicked on the guy’s profile and clicked on his profile picture. “This is the guy.”

Do Kyungsoo was a handsome man with pale features and big eyes. There was nothing much on his profile and his last activities were around five years ago. “Do you want me to hack into this guy’s account too?” Chanyeol offered.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, please,” he requested.

Chanyeol did his thing with his laptop for a few minutes and at last, he managed to hack into Kyungsoo’s account. He opened Kyungsoo’s private messages and nudged Baekhyun to look at it.

Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol off his seat and sat in his stead. He used the mouse to scroll down to see who Kyungsoo had been contacting. There were only three people that he had been in contact with; Seo Joohyun, Kim Minseok and Kwon Yuri.

Wait, what? Kwon Yuri?

He clicked to see what the two of them had been talking about. Their first conversation was ten years ago and they mostly talked about school and how ty everything was for them. Baekhyun skipped the details and stopped scrolling when he realized that Yuri had contacted Kyungsoo five years ago again.

But five years ago, Yuri is dead…

Baekhyun read their conversation carefully.

Kwon Yuri, 16th July 2012, 8.30PM:
I need your help.

Do Kyungsoo, 17th July 2012, 9.03AM:
Who the hell are you? Kwon Yuri is dead.

Kwon Yuri, 17th July 2012, 9.07AM:
She
is dead. I’m a friend of hers and I need a favor from you. I like to call myself as Mirror, though.

Do Kyungsoo, 17th July 2012, 9.08AM:
What kind of favor?

Kwon Yuri, 17th July 2012, 9.20AM:
Can’t talk here. We should meet up. I’ll text you the location and when later.

Do Kyungsoo, 17th July 2012, 9.23AM:
How do you know my number?

Kwon Yuri, 17th July 2012, 9.25AM:
I have my own resources. See you later.

Baekhyun stared in horror. He let out a strangled gasp. Whoever this Do Kyungsoo was, he definitely had met up with Mirror before. They needed to know who Mirror was. He scrolled again to see more of their conversations but to his disappointment, there was only one from Do Kyungsoo a few days ago.

Do Kyungsoo, 6th February 2017, 8.00AM:
Can’t contact you. But don’t worry, my lips are sealed.

“Holy ,” Baekhyun cursed out loud. He could not believe he had just found someone who knew who Mirror was.

They definitely needed to talk to this guy. He took out his phone and sent a text to the other nine graduates of Seoul Boarding School.


9th February 2017, 9.00AM

Taeyeon walked over to the shelves that contained reports of crimes in 2007. She looked over to the July section and took out the file that was labeled as ‘The Heartless Case’ due to the fact that all of the victims in this case turned up without a heart.

She flipped through the reports, reading each word carefully.

Unfortunately, it did not say anything that she did not already know. She tried to control herself from bursting into tears as she read through her younger brother’s autopsy report. She flinched a lot of times. It was bad enough that she had caused Suho’s death but to know what exactly her younger brother had gone through before he had died made her feel ten times worse.

Taeyeon never expected to see her own younger brother to end up dead as a price to curse Kwon Yuri. She never thought that it was possible. She knew that night that the price would be very deadly but she never expected it to be this.

Needless to say, the guilt in her heart never did go away.

She continued to read the reports, concentrating very hard on it. She badly wanted to get this thing over. They would find Mirror and kill her and everything would be over.

It was as simple as that.

She wished.

Of course, it was not that simple. Her situation was very complicated. Mirror was smart and definitely cunning and sly. It would not be that easy to know who she was. It would not be that easy to catch her.

Girls like to hear, criminals will not do.

She wondered what the answer to the riddle was. Seohyun said that Mirror wanted to collect the answer in a week’s time. Seohyun never mentioned what would happen if they did not solve the answer. But knowing that it was Mirror they were dealing with, something bad would definitely happen and she wanted to avoid it.

“Taeyeon-sshi,” someone called out her name, causing her to snap back to reality.

She looked up and found herself facing her teammate, Xiumin. “Oh, it’s you,” she murmured. “Is there anything wrong?”

The younger man just shrugged his shoulders. “There’s nothing wrong,” he replied. “It’s just that, I’m worried for you.”

Taeyeon raised her eyebrows quizzically. “Worried for me? Why?” she asked in puzzlement.

“You may not remember me but I was a graduate of Seoul Boarding School too,” Xiumin replied. “But I was known as Minseok before I changed my name to Xiumin. I just hope you won’t be too affected by our recent case, Taeyeon-sshi. I know that your younger brother died in the same way as the victims did.”

The policewoman was stunned into silence. Her eyes softened as she looked at Xiumin and she let out a small sigh. “I’m fine,” she said at last. Then, she stared at Xiumin for a moment. “Do you know what do girls love to hear?”

The policeman looked taken aback by the sudden question. He raised his eyebrow questioningly. “You’re a female. You should know that, right?” he replied blankly.

Taeyeon’s shoulders visibly drooped and she just mumbled, “Forget it.” She made a mental note to herself to request a copy of the reports from the case ten years ago. She put the file back into its original place and was about to leave the room when Xiumin spoke up.

“I think girls love to hear music, loving words and compliments,” he said. “Sorry if it doesn’t exactly answer your question.”

Taeyeon opened to reply when she was interrupted by a buzzing sound. Her phone was vibrating. She took it out from her pocket and read the text message that she had just received.

To: Taeyeon
From: Baekhyun

There’s a guy named Do Kyungsoo who has met with Mirror before. We should set a date so that we can meet up and discuss what we’ve found out.

Then, another text message entered. She opened it and it was a picture of Do Kyungsoo, the person she had just interrogated a few days ago.

A small gasp escaped her lips.

Do Kyungsoo, she thought to herself gleefully, your doom is coming.

 

Author's Note:

So first of all, I would like to apologise for the very late update. It's just that ever since the news that Yoona is dating Lee Seunggi broke out, it doesn't feel right to write about her with someone else when she's dating someone else but then, it's just a fanfic so well. Another reason is because I'm so busy lately and my exams are coming at the end of February and well, school.

I just want to say that I badly want to complete this fanfic but the thing is, I'm a very crappy author. It's like the plan is all in my head but I just can't seem to write it down so you have to be very patient with me. For this year, updates will be late and sometimes random. No promises, though, about when I will update. Sometimes updates will be shorter than usual because I'm going to focus on quality rather than quantity. So yeah, that's all I have to say.

Thank you for commenting, subscribing, upvoting and reading! Enjoy reading the next chapter! :)