Ow!

School Yard Rumble

 

Ch.7 “Ow!”

U-Kwon’s POV

“Just get in the car!”She raised an eyebrow and looked at me questionably. That right there was a turn on all in itself. We slid into the car and the driver pulled away from the curb. I watched her anxiously as she looked around taking in all of the sites. It reminded me almost of a kid in a candy store…so cute. “You look like a child” I told her playfully. “You act like a child” she playfully spit back at me. I grabbed a strawberry from a small dish and at it tauntingly. She looked over at me and I saw a glimmer in her brown eyes. She turned away to stare back out the window. I placed my hand on her knee and rubbed it gently. I saw her falter slightly but she still continued to look out of the window.

The drive was quiet and peaceful. Not many words were needed. I didn’t understand the nerves that I was feeling…me nervous; never. A lot of feelings were new these days. When I looked at her I didn’t feel as angry as I normally did which was something new from me. I went to reach for a stray strand of hair to brush away from her face but the car came to a stop; we were here. I stepped out of the car while she scooted towards the door and still remained sitting inside. She looked up at me with her warm brown eyes and I swear my head spun. “Come on you can trust me.” I extended my hand out to her waiting for her to grab it. She slowly raised her hands as if to question my motives. She nervously placed her soft hand in mine and I gently led her out of the car and into the building.

When we walked in everything was completely dark. She began to shiver…not necessarily from fear, but from the cold. “Kwon…I can’t see anything. Where are you?” She was cute when she was nervous. I made my way over to the light switch and flicked it on. Her eyes grew wide and her arms instinctively wrapped around herself trying to gain warmth. “An ice skating rink.” I walked back over towards her. “Well aren’t you very observant” I said with a grin. She rolled her eyes as her teeth began chattering. “Go grab a coat and some skates.” She looked over and saw the bench with the gear and quickly ran over to wrap a coat around herself. I didn’t like that it covered so much of her body up but she still managed to make it look amazing. She slid the skates onto her ankles and laced them up. I was already ready in my gear by the time she had gotten geared up and made her way over to the gate with me.

I pulled it back and put one foot on the ice. I slid my foot back and forth to test it slightly while she did the same. I now had both feet on the ice and I tried balancing before I fully moved. Before I could get up the courage to start skating she went speeding out. She did countless circles and left trails in the ice with her skates. Seeing her look happy gave me the amount of courage I needed to join her on the ice. My legs were a little wobbly but I got used to it after a few laps around the rink. I could see fog coming out of my mouth every time I breathed. I just couldn’t stop watching her.

 

Jasmina’s POV

I kept spinning and spinning. It was so freeing…..and honestly I felt weightless. Like nothing else in the world existed. It was just me and the ice and that’s the way that I wanted it to be. Ice skating is dancing on ice…and I’m a dancer so it just came naturally to me. I’d done it ever since I was a child and I didn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Small flakes of ice would fly onto my skin and melt. It felt so amazing! Soon I forgot about the fact that I had been freezing cold only moments before. For a moment I had almost forgotten that I wasn’t alone. I looked over and saw U-Kwon making small circles all the while staring over at me. I don’t think he even tried to hide the fact that he was.

He looked like he was only barely keeping his balance. He tried his best to hide it by the solid expression on his face. I skated over to him and stopped dead in front of him. It brought surprise to him as the expression in his face changed. “Why’d you bring me here?” I asked suddenly out of nowhere. He began skating circles around me. “Well you’re a dancer…so I figured you would know how to skate.” He stopped and stood in front of me now. “That and I saw an ice-skating poster in your room when I took your wallet.” He just would have to ruin a nice moment by opening his mouth like that. None the less we were both smiling like idiots.

I grabbed his arm suddenly and went to pull him with me. He looked cautious about it. “Don’t worry. Besides it’s my turn to drag you off somewhere” I said with a smirk. He smiled and let me pull him around the ice rink. He wasn’t that easy to work with at first because of how wobbly he was…but he got used to it. He was always the big tough guy walking around campus so it was interesting to see him in this new setting. I wonder what everyone would think if they saw him like this. They would probably laugh just as I was now. I looked over and saw him smiling down at me. I kept smiling and pulled us forward. For a moment I looked over into his eyes. We both should have been focusing because suddenly we went stumbling to the ground. To me it was just another fall but I heard U-Kwon screaming in pain.

I looked over and what scared me more was the fact that I saw blood. I crawled over to him and he was holding his leg in pain. He was doing his best to hold the painful expressions back bit biting his lip but he could only do so much. I saw the long slit in his pant leg that was stained in blood. I went to move his pant leg up but he objected. “I have to do this.” He bit his lip once more and laid his head back on the cold ice. I slowly inched his pant leg up as blood kept running down it. My eyes grew wide at the deep cut. I started to make the connection with the fall and I looked down at my skate which had blood on it also. My skate had cut his thigh. I instantly felt horrible but I had to push that thought aside and help him.

 

U-Kwon’s POV

All I could feel in my right leg was pain. I tasted blood in my mouth from biting my lip so hard. The look of worry on her face caused me to worry even more. I began feeling woozy and a bit dizzy. I laid my head onto the cool ice and looked up to the ceiling. Before long my eyes were blinking shut. I knew my eyes were trying to close but I wanted to keep them open. All I remember seeing was the look on her face before I suddenly passed out. I felt an intense itch on my arm right in the crease of the elbow. I instinctively went to scratch it but my arm was held back by a series of small tubes. I slowly raised my head up and saw small cabinets along the wall in front of me containing what I assumed to be medical supplies. I looked out the window to the right of me and I could tell that we were back in the city.

I could hear voices on the intercoms in the hallway making announcements to the doctor. I looked around the room and didn’t see anyone. I shot up and looked down at my leg suddenly remembering what had happened. I had a slight fear that they might have cut it off but there it was wrapped in thick bandages. I wanted to get up and get answers to my questions but my IV was hooked to the wall; I wasn’t going anywhere. I could feel my temper rising. I heard the turning of the knob and sure enough a short older gentleman in his doctor’s uniform walked towards me with a clipboard in his hands. “How are you feeling?” Was that a rhetorical question? “I’m angry.” He laughed slightly and began writing on the clipboard.

“You sound like you’re doing well. As for your leg you might have be on crutches for a few days just until the stitches are nicely settled in. We wouldn’t want them to tear and to have you back in here now would we?” This man sure asked a lot of rhetorical questions. I nodded in response not wanting to be rude even though I’m sure that I gave off the demeanor of it anyways. “Where is she?” He looked up at me as if he were confused. “Oh the girl…she’s in the cafeteria with her friend. She stayed in here the whole time but I made her get something to eat.” Jasmina…I wondered if she was alright and if anything had happened to her in the incident. I didn’t hate the girl…she was definitely going to get it though when I got around to walking normally again. “I have to make my rounds but I will be back later to check on you again.” I nodded once more and he left the room.

I leaned back onto the bed and sighed. What was wrong with me? I used to be this tough guy and now I’m going around getting cut up. A small woman walked in with a tray of food and placed it on a small table to the side of me. {Ugh hospital food} I thought to myself. This definitely isn’t the kind of food that I was used to. I it up and ate it anyways because it felt like my stomach was practically screaming at me to feed it. I chased it down with the cup of apple juice I was provided with. She definitely owes me for this one.

 

Jasmina’s POV

“What do I do?”I stirred through a small salad trying to find pieces of tomato. Jessica cracked her knuckles and put her hands behind her head. “Jasmina it was an accident. It’s not like you did it on purpose. You can apologize and help him out but other than that there isn’t much else you can do.” That hadn’t really helped much. “Besides I’m pretty sure he likes you so eventually he’ll forgive you.” I blushed at her remark as I chewed a mouthful of lettuce. Nerves danced around my stomach as I thought that I actually might like this guy. He was a jerk…but I could sense him changing. I felt foolish to think that he might be changing for me.

I poured more ranch dressing on my salad and stared off at a nearby television. It wasn’t playing anything special but it was something to distract me. “I wonder if he’s up yet.” Jessica leaned up from her relaxed position with a small smile on her lips. She took a sip of water before she spoke. “Why don’t you go check.” I didn’t like the fact that she was smirking when she said that. “Maybe I will.” I stood up with my tray and placed it on the racks for dirty dishes. I looked back at Jessica who was fiercely texting away before I made my way to his room. I could smell all kinds of medical and cleaning chemicals in the hall. Everything was so clean it looked brand new. I slowed down as I reached his room.

As I turned into the room I half expected him to be waiting there to kill me. He was sleeping. I walked quietly to him and began to push the hair out his face. “I know you can’t hear me…but I’m sorry.” I could feel myself getting choked up so I pulled my hand away. His lower lip began twitching slightly. I became curious so I leaned into his face. His cool breath blew across my nose tickling it. His lips looked so soft and moist. I couldn’t help but feel the urge to kiss him right here. I leaned in slowly periodically checking to see if his eyes were open. My lips were about a centimeter from his when I looked up and his eyes suddenly shot open.