I Don't Know

School Yard Rumble

 

Ch.10 “I Don’t Know”

U-Kwon’s POV

I could feel the skin on my right cheek tingling and burning slightly. My mouth was left slightly agape and I brought my hand to my cheek rubbing the rawness of it. The cafeteria had already been cleared out and I remained at the table in awe. “Come on we need to go. We’ve got class man.” I stood up slowly and turned towards Zico who was urging me. “Go ahead…I’ll meet you there.” He shot me a look that said he knew I wouldn’t show up….and he was right; I didn’t plan on it. I walked out of the back entrance to the cafeteria. For it being early evening the sky was already pretty dark. I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my dress coat and embraced the cool air.

I just had to get out of here for a while and I knew exactly where I was heading. I had been walking for about twenty minutes when I finally reached my car. I hopped in and instantly looked in the rearview mirror. I could see the fine outline of a small hand on my face. The redness was slight but it was noticeable. I looked away no longer wanting to see myself and who I felt that I was becoming. The second I turned the car on the radio began blasting obnoxiously loud. I quickly turned it off and pulled out of the parking lot. The campus blurred by in a flash. Cars looked like random rays of light as I went speeding by. I could see my knuckles turning white as I clenched the steering wheel tighter. I to a small road lined with trees. The branches weren’t as full as they used to be during the season but they were still beautiful.

Small blossoms fell on my windshield and blew swiftly off to the side. I saw the huge black metal gate and pulled into the drive. The gravel crunched under my tires as I navigated through countless rows and finally stopped in front of my destination. I stepped out the car and tightly wrapped my dress coat around me. I stuffed my hands back into my pockets and began walking forward. The grass stood slightly tall over my shoes. The walk was short….but it felt so long. I looked around seeing that I was the only one here. The wind blew through my hair and I stopped looking down at the headstone before me. “Hi mom” I said to no but myself. I had hoped she was somewhere listening. I knelt down and rearranged the small bouquet of flowers I had laid out for her a while ago….I needed to bring new ones.

I breathed deeply and let out a sigh. I didn’t like feeling weak but I knew she would accept me no matter what I was….she always did. “What do I do? This girl….she’s driving me crazy.” I stood up and looked down at my feet. “I don’t want to say I love her…I’m afraid that I do. No…I don’t.” I looked again once more remembering that I was still the only one here. “What am I talking about…it’s not like you can hear me.” I walked forward and placed my hand on the headstone. “You taught me everything…I just feel like I’m letting you down.” Who had I become? Subconsciously I’ve been pushing everyone away. I’ve become an isolated . I feel like I’m losing everyone no matter how hard I try to keep them. I felt the wind blow and wrap around me like a pair of arms. It brought comfort and I looked down at the flowers. I felt a painful weakness growing in my chest. I could feel moisture b on the edges of my eyes. I promised I wouldn’t cry for anyone so I held everything back. “I love you” I uttered silently before walking back to the car. As I pulled out of the drive and turned the corner I was left with nothing but my thoughts.

 

Jasmina’s POV

I wiped the sweat off of my forehead with a soft towel. I threw it into the gym bag and zipped it up carrying away the rest of my belongings as well. I’m so glad this day was over. I just wanted to back to the dorm and pass out I was so mentally and physically exhausted. I had put all of my emotions into my dancing today. The anger and hurt proved to be powerful motivation for me. I slid the strap of the gym bad over my shoulder as I exited through the locker room doors. Images of mine and U-Kwon’s encounter in here flashed through my head.

I blushed and pushed the thoughts away as I was greeted by the smiling face of my dance instructor. “You ready for the competition Jasmina? It’s in two days” I looked up in disbelief and shock realizing that it came up that soon. “Yes” I announced not wanting to sound forgetful or like I didn’t care. “Okay good. We leave early that morning so make sure you get plenty of rest.” I nodded silently and made my way out of the building. The cool air brushed around me and it made my skin tingle. I welcome the sensation as I kept walking towards the dorm. The sky was darker as night kept approaching more rapidly. I became very aware of my surroundings as I realized I was the only one actually walking at the time. It was so calm and quiet.

I looked down at my phone and realized that I truly had stayed later than I expected. I stuffed the phone into my pocket and began walking faster eagerly wanting the warmth of a nice shower. I sighed at just the thought of it. A cold brush of the wind against my back caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up; so did the sound of screeching tires. I turned around rapidly just in time to see a huge black on black van racing towards me. I quickened my pace and began sprinting for my dorm. I could feel my heart pounding intensely as if it were about to jump out of my chest at any moment. I heard the van door slide open but I didn’t look back to see. I could hear the thunderous sound of feet chasing after me. “Stop running!” Yeah like I was going to listen to that.

It felt as if he was right behind me. I turned around suddenly swinging my bag into his head. He went falling to the floor as his face collided with the cement. I dogged the hands of another man and kept running. “Ms….wait! The President sent us!” The president of the school? I stopped abruptly and immediately turned around. “What does he want?” I asked with an unnecessary roughness to my tone. The man paused to catch his breath. “He needs to speak to you….it’s important.” I swung the shoulder of my bag back over my shoulder. I grimaced as I walked towards them. “This better be quick.” The man nodded and looked down in sympathy at the man who was rising from the ground. I could see where the cement met with his face. I stepped into the passenger seat of the van but didn’t buckle my seat belt….just in case I needed to make a quick getaway.

I looked into the rearview mirror and saw the man I had knocked to the ground glaring up at me. I turned to look out the window hoping to hide the smile that was appearing on my face. Maybe it was because of the weather….but the campus just seemed more empty than usual. Normally cars would zoom past as countless amounts of people walked by on the sidewalks. I got slightly nervous as I approached the familiar building where I first encountered U-Kwon’s father. I stepped out taking all of my belongings with me. I could hear the marble steps clicking with the sound of their dress shoes as they made their way up them. I bundled my arms around myself and quickly went through the door as one of the men held it open for me. I nodded a small thank you but didn’t get much of a reply from him.

I looked onward at the same receptionist who stood there as tall as she could in her short frame. A huge smile was plastered on her small lips and it brought somewhat of an ease to me. “Do you know what he needs me for?” She looked confused but the same smile returned to her face. “I’m not sure sweetie but you can go see him now.” She opened the huge doors for me and I nervously stepped in remembering our first encounter. I hoped I hadn’t done anything wrong. I really liked this school. Oh god please don’t let me get kicked out of it! “Have a seat” he announced as he motioned me to the chair in front of his desk. He sat down also and pulled his glasses away from his face sitting them on the desk. He breathed deeply and the expression on his face looked solemn yet full of worry. He breathed deeply. “Jasmina….he’s missing.”