And Ten Years Later

Always be

Ten years later

 

I was watching television with Baro that evening. Then, the phone rang. I picked up the phone call and starting from that moment, all my life changed completely. It was the police. The policemen informed to me that Sandeul was badly injured after the accident when he was on his way back home. I was shocked with the news. I could not hide my feelings anymore as I burst into tears, in front of Baro.

 

“Omma, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

 

He walked up to me and wiped my tears with his hands. I shook my head and tried to smile.

 

“Nothing, my son. It’s just dust entering my eyes. Baro-ya, we have to go to a place right now. Get ready okay? Go now.” I said to him, while holding back my tears.

 

At the hospital

 

Sandeul was in a coma when we first visited him. Baro was shocked when he his father’s condition and he cried.

 

“Omma, why is dad lying on the bed? Is he gonna be okay?” Baro sobbed.

 

“He will be okay. Appa will overcome all this. Okay, Baro? Stop crying. You don’t want appa to wake up and saw you crying right? Understand. Now, let’s hope for the best.” I comforted him.

 

However, his life could not last for long. He is now gone. He died three days after incident. Baro still could not accept it. I tried to accept the fact he is gone.

 

I missed him every single day. I missed the moment when we would chat with each other together with Baro during breakfast, lunch and dinner. I missed when he wrapped his arms around me every morning while I was getting the breakfast ready.

 

I missed when he always gave me a kiss on the cheek and my lips every morning when he was getting ready to go out for work. I missed every single moment that I spend with him.

 

I remembered that day, one of Sandeul’s friend, that worked together with him, gave me an envelope five days after his death.

 

“You’re Sandeul’s wife, right? I have something to gave to you. Sandeul asked me to gave it to you. Here.” He gave me an envelope with my name and Baro’s name written on it.

 

“Thank you, uh,”

 

“Um, Jinyoung. Just call me Jinyoung.” He replied.

 

“Thank you, Jinyoung. I guess you two must be so close to each other. Thanks again.”

 

“Yes, we were. He always talked about you before and after your marriage. He’s so proud of you. He really loves you, you know.”

 

My eyes started to burst into tears when I heard that. I love you too.

 

“Please don’t cry. I bet Sandeul wouldn’t be happy if he sees you like this. Okay? I have to go now. I’m sorry again for your loss.” He said.

 

I barely replied him back and I just nodded my head.

 

I have not open nor read the content in the envelope yet. So, I tried to search for it in my dressing table drawer. Then, slowly, I opened them.

 

To my dearest wife and my adorable son, Baro.

 

Hey. When you read this letter, I would not be in this world anymore. I’m sorry for leaving you two behind without saying goodbye. I’m sorry, jagiya.

 

Jagiya, thank you for accompanying me and always there for me during this ten years. I can’t be so happy when you accept my proposal. You remembered, right? I hope you do. You’re my first love, and will always be. I hope you’ll always remember me every moment in your life.

 

And, please tell this to our son okay?

 

Baro, my son. I’m sorry for leaving you and mom. I’m sorry. Please take care of her, okay? I’m counting on you, little man. Don’t ever make her sad, okay? Comfort her, spend time with her, make her happy. Don’t forget about your studies. Make omma proud. And ME proud. Be a good son, okay?

 

I’ll stop here. I hope you can overcome every hardships in your life. You’re brave. You can do it. Remember, I’ll always be with you, even though I’m not there. Bye for now.

 

Love, Sandeul.