I'm With You

Take Care
I'm with you.” These words stirred in Taemin's mind over and over again as he walked home. He couldn't stop himself from smiling brightly when he thought of Eunmi's cute smile while saying them. These three little words which seemed so trivial were the most beautiful melody he had ever heard.
 
Omo, do my eyes deceive me? My little Taeminnie is smiling. But what happened to your face? Oh god, that has to be treated right away.”, his mother exclaimed when he got home. “Tell me exactly what happened.”
 
Taemin nodded and hugged his mother tightly. “I'm sorry umma.”
 
What are you talking about? Did you start a fight? Then why are you smiling?”
 
No it's not like that. I tell you later what happened but I can assure you I'm fine.”
 
Well, that's the most important thing. I'm just glad you're not sad today. I really missed my cute son's smile. I always knew you were strong.”
 
If you knew that I almost killed myself today you wouldn't say these things. I'm sorry I wasn't as strong as you told me to be. I disappointed you but from now on I'll do my best to be a son you can be proud of. I promise.
 
 
The next day in school, Taemin waited at the cycle racks for Eunmi.
She had told him the day before that they were going to meet there from now on. It didn't take long until she arrived. After chaining her bike to the racks she greeted him cheerfully, a cute smile plastered on her face that it made Taemin's heart beating faster.
 
The two of them were having smalltalk, both trying to be as optimistic as possible. But the moment they entered the school building, they couldn't help but tense.
 
Eunmi noticed that Taemin wasn't smiling anymore but instead looked to the ground like he always did when he was in school. She took his hand and squeezed it, encouraging him to lift his head.
 
I don't why I'm so afraid. No matter what Hyunshik does now, it can't affect me anymore. I can just ignore it because there's at least one person who disagrees with him. One person who believes in me. He looked at the fragile girl with the brave attitude walking next to him. Eunmi.
 
When they reached their lockers they let go of each others hands, preparing for class. Of course Misun already waited for her friend, the shock clearly visible on her face when she saw Eunmi together with Taemin.
 
What is going on? Why did come here with this boy? Are you crazy?”, she asked frantically.
 
He's not ''this boy''. His name is Lee Taemin and he's my friend.”, Eunmi explained calmly.
 
Misun just gawked at her as if she had lost her mind but Eunmi just ignored it.
Hey, how about you get to know him? He's really nice and cute, I think you would like him.”
 
And make myself Hyunshik's enemy? No way! I hope you're aware of the consequences your friendship with this boy will entail. I doubt you have an idea what you're getting yourself into.”
 
I'm fine, don't worry.” The words came out harsher than planned but Misun just shook her head and walked off to her class. Eunmi sighed and closed the door of her locker when she heard Hyunshik's loud voice not too far away.
 
Meanwhile, Taemin stood with the back to his locker, encircled by Hyunshik and his friends.
 
YA! You dare to come to school after what we did to you? You're pretty cocky, don't you think? I guess we have to teach you some respect. You remember what happened yesterday?! Today, it's going to be three times as bad.”
 
Taemin didn't answer. The fear made it impossible for him to speak. He just prayed that the bell would ring and force them to go to class. But it didn't.
 
Instead, someone else came to help. Eunmi called his name, waving him over.
 
With an exhale of frustration Hyunshik turned around, glaring at her angrily. “And you are...?”
But she completely ignored him and walked straight up to Taemin who was just as surprised as the bullies by her actions.
 
She swiftly took Taemin's hand and pulled him away from the guys who just let them go, unsure what to do. She knew this was risky since she wasn't sure how far Hyunshik would go to prove his power but she just hoped he wouldn't hit a girl.
 
However, when she looked at Taemin her doubts vanished and she knew what to do.
 
Where are we going? The classrooms are in the other direction.” Taemin asked, confused.
 
I know. We're not going to class but to the principle's office. We will report what Hyunshik and his group did to you.”
 
Upon hearing that, Taemin stopped abruptly, causing her to stop as well.
No, we can't do that! There's no proof and in the end they will also go after you.”
 
No they won't because the proof is right here.” Eunmi tapped his sore cheek and he winced in pain.
See, the injuries are still new. We can use that against them. This time these bullies won't get away with it easily.”
 
Taemin bit his lip, his gaze averted to the ground when he slowly nodded. Eunmi could feel that he was still insecure and afraid of what might happen so she said the only thing she was hundred percent sure of: “Don't worry, I'm there with you.”
 
Finally he looked up and the look in his eyes told her she had chosen the right words.
 
 
You just have to tell what happened and that's it. After that, the teachers will deal with it. Trust me, everything's going to be okay.” They stood in front of the principle's office, waiting to be invited inside. Eunmi squeezed Taemin's hand reassuringly.
 
He nodded once more before the door was opened and the head teacher of the school invited them inside.
 
They had a long conversation but it was worth it. Hyunshik and his friends would receive a punishment and would probably be expelled from school. Thanks to Eunmi's, and later on also Misun's testimony, Hyunhik's guilt couldn't be questioned. Taemin's mother even reported the boys to the police.
 
That might be considered a ''happy ending'' but the looks the other students gave Taemin nonetheless told something different. He was still an outcast and Eunmi was his only friend. Although Misun was warming up to him too.
His grades were still poor since it took him some time catch up the stuff he had missed but eventually it would get better. At least, he wasn't bullied anymore.
 
 
-one month later-
 
It was the 18th of July, Taemin's birthday. Eunmi had prepared a special gift for him and she was just about to reveal it.
 
What is it? Where are we? Oh, come on just tell me.” He pouted when Eunmi didn't take her hands off his eyes.
 
No, it's a surprise so just be patient, we're almost there.” She tiptoed behind him, her hands still covering his sight.
 
After she had opened the last door she sighed exhausted. “You know, it would have been easier if you had just closed your eyes.”
 
I told you to not get me anything for my birthday”, he replied and caused Eunmi to sigh once more. “And I told you I want to give you something.”
 
Okay, I'll take my hands away in three, two, one … HAPPY BRITHDAY!”
 
Taemin looked around the huge, empty room with long mirrors covering one of the walls while big windows on the wall next to it let in the sunlight.
 
What is this?” he asked amazed, although he already knew the answer.
 
It's a dance studio, what else?! Please tell me you like it. I had a really hard time finding a dance club that was willing to provide its studio for private purposes. Now you can practice dancing professionally and prepare for your career as an idol.” She winked and laughed. “Come on, say something. The suspense is killing me.”
 
But Taemin didn't know what to say. His full attention was on the girl in front of him. The way she laughed made his heart flutter and a feeling of affection stirred in his stomach.
 
I don't think you know how thankful I am to you”, he said quietly, closing the little distance between them.
 
Eunmi cheeks reddened and she look away in embarrassment. “It's not that special. It's just that I know how much you love dancing and singing and therefore I thought that would be the perfect present. I don't want you to ever give up your dreams because you're really talanted and-”
 
The next thing she knew were his lips on hers. Automatically, she closed her eyes, enjoying the unknown feeling of content and excitement that spread through her body like fireworks.
 
Hands on her waist Taemin pulled her closer before he broke the kiss to speak. “I'm not only thankful for your birthday present,” he whispered, his lips still lingering on hers, “I'm thankful for the way you cared for me when no one else did and for always believing in me, even when I didn't believe in myself. You saved my life and changed it for the better. I couldn't be more thankful.”
 
Although I only realized I should help you when it was almost too late?” Her voice was shaking as a feeling of guilt took over her upon remembering her behavior from the past.
 
However, all her worries vanished when Taemin replied: “I'm happy now. This is what counts.”
Then he kissed her again and at this moment, Eunmi didn't think of anything else than him, Lee Taemin, the boy no one liked, the boy she fell in love with.