SM Entertainment

We are ONE. We are EXO.

 

Clusters of girls, some still in their school uniforms, were waiting outside the large cream coloured building. No doubt they were fans of the various SM artists, and were waiting to catch a glimpse of their favourite star. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have so many people adore you, strangers who are willing stand in the cold and wait for you to pass by, even though you may not know their names.

 

I slip, unnoticed, into the crowd who seemed to become restless at the sight of a black van which was slowly making its way down the road. A few people ran to the pavement for a clearer view of the vehicle, before turning back to the others with disappointed looks on their faces. Who knew how long they had been standing there for, perhaps hours, their dedication and devotion was indeed admirable. Glancing at the signs which they held in their hands, I observed that they were Super Junior fans, the characteristic sapphire blue banners and balloons blocked my view of the entrance.

 

I realised that there was a reason why they were not able to go with a several metres of the official doors to SM. A barrier blocked their way, closely watched by a security guard.

 

As I approached it with hesitant steps, I could feel the girls’ eyes on me, wondering who I was to be walking directly to the entrance itself. I ignored their stares and focused my attention to the middle aged surly man who was sitting at his post, reading a newspaper.

 

 ‘Erm... excuse me.’ I say as I stand directly in front of his booth.

 

The security glanced up at me briefly with a frown as I had interrupted his reading, and he shooed me away with a quick flick of his wrist.

 

‘I was told to come here.’ I say a little more clearly, my voice a little louder as I tried to gain his attention.

 

With a sigh of annoyance, he put his paper down and folded his arms to confront me.

 

‘Says who?’ he said gruffly.

 

His question made me hesitate. How was I supposed to describe the strange woman who had approached me in the streets?

 

‘Well.. I’m not sure...’ I began.

 

He raised an eyebrow sceptically and I knew he would not believe me even if I told him.

 

Instead, I removed the business card from my pocket held it to him, hoping it would explain my presence.

 

He snatched it from my fingers and flipped it several times as if to check if it was genuine. Without looking at me he spoke again.

 

‘What’s your name?’

 

‘Luhan.’

 

At my words the man paused. Brushing his short and greying hair back from his forehead, he leaned forward and examined me more closely.

 

‘You’re Luhan then?’

                                                                                                                 

Surprised that my name was familiar to him, I gave a nod.

 

‘I suppose you can go in.’ He said, somewhat reluctantly.

 

‘Thank you.’ I bowed, and turned to walk towards the main building.

 

But before I took another step, I held back.

 

‘You recognised my name?’ I asked, his reaction had confused me.

 

The man, who had picked up his paper again, gave me an irritated glare.

 

‘I was told to let you in.’ He said as if it was none of his business.

 

‘Do you know what for?’ I pressed.

 

He shrugged and made a motion with his hand again as if to bat away all my questions. ‘How should I know? I just did my job.’

 

With a disappointed nod and thank you, I left the man to continue reading his newspaper in peace and walked through a set of automatic doors.

 

My eyes met a clean and well polished reception area, on the white walls hung various images of DBSK, Girls’ Generation and more. I walked towards the receptionist who was sat at her glossy black desk and she looked up when the doors slid open.

 

‘Hi, my name is Luhan and I was told to come here.’ I said, holding out the card to her. I had decided to say my name first to avoid another scene.

 

The woman in thick-rimmed glasses merely nodded when I mentioned my name and made no attempt to take the business card out of my hand. Picking up the phone on her desk, she quickly dialled a number.

 

‘He’s here now.’ She spoke simply, before putting the phone back down.

 

Directing her attention back at me she smiled and spoke in a sweet voice.

 

‘Please take a seat Luhan, someone will be here shortly.’ She said, gesturing at the black leather sofa behind me.

 

As I sat down, I briefly wondered whether I had made the correct decision to come here. It seemed as though everyone had been expecting me, yet in no way was I told the reason for it and the secretiveness of it all unnerved me. There I sat in the SM Entertainment building, still with my hands placed gently on my lap. I decided it was too late for regrets now, and that no matter who or what was waiting for me, it surely could not be too bad. After all, SM Entertainment was a place where dreams were fulfilled. What’s the worst that could happen?

 

In a matter of minutes, a woman made her way across the reception towards me. I heard her before I saw her, when the clacking of her high heels meeting the hard floor had snapped me out of my thoughts.

 

I realised it was the same woman who I saw on the streets Myeongdong. Her face and attire was exactly the same as before, and her expression uncaring and serious. She stopped a few metres in front of me.

 

‘Luhan?’ she asked though once again, it was obvious she already knew who I was.

 

‘Ye-’

 

‘Follow me.’ she interrupted in a sharp, commanding voice.

 

She spun on her heel and without looking back, walked briskly towards the lifts with me tagging behind her.

 

I did not speak as she pushed the buttons inside the elevator, nor did the woman show any sign of greeting me. We rose up in silence, only the automated voice announcing each level made any sound. Finally we arrived at level four and I continued to follow her down the corridors.

 

Everything was pristine and turquoise coloured blinds hung at most of the windows to block out outsiders’ eyes. I wondered where she was taking me, perhaps to her office or something similar. We stopped at a door with a large frosted glass panel, the faint beating of music could be heard from outside.

 

She took me into the room and immediately, my eardrums were pounded by the cacophony of sounds. A few boys, around my age and drenched in sweat, hurried to turn the music off and they bowed in greeting to us.

 

The woman gestured at them and then turned to face me.

 

‘Luhan, meet your fellow trainees.’

 

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late update everyone >_<. enjoy~