Different

We are ONE. We are EXO.

Luhan POV

I was born on the 20th of April 1990 in Beijing, China.

 

Everything seemed perfectly normal, nothing out of the ordinary, just another human being born on this planet of ours...

 

But the truth was that part of me did not belong here on Earth. Part of me came from a place very far away, light-years away in fact.

 

Ever since I was young I knew I was different. From an outsider’s perspective I was a bright, well-behaved child who enjoyed playing games, particularly puzzles, as well as football with my friends. I looked and acted the same as any other child of my age, but the difference came from within.

 

My powers began to emerge when I was only four or five years old. I remember that day clearly and no matter how many years have passed, it continues to remain in my mind as a rite of passage: marking the moment my life was turned around.

 

That day I was sitting at the living room table, drawing with crayons. My mother was busy cooking in the kitchen and father had not yet arrived home from work, and so I was left to entertain myself. I even remember the planets and aliens I drew in a dark mess of black crayon I called space. Ironic really, now I think about it, especially since I portrayed aliens as green mutated monster-like creatures when in actual fact, I was not much different from these foreign beings.

 

As my spaceship was slowly taking shape on the page, I began to notice that the crayons moved without me having to pick them up. The colour which I planned to use next would appear beside my hand and I even saw them roll across the flat wooden surface of the table with my own eyes. They would move slowly, avoiding other crayons strewn in their way and occasionally I would even see them rise a centimetre or two in thin air before dropping down in my open hand. I was fascinated by the phenomenon, but not in any way was I scared. Why? Because I thought it was normal, but gradually I began to realise it was far from the norm.

 

Months later, I asked my mother why sometimes, objects would move when I wanted them to. I was naïve, thinking that people would believe me, and I became angry when she said I was imagining things. So I tried to prove it to her, show her that I wasn’t lying, but each time I tried, nothing happened because back then I had not learnt to control my powers yet.

 

By the time I was in middle school I had already learnt to hide my difference, hide what set me apart from the people around me. I made more friends, studied hard and made it through the stressful years of high school. However, things began to change when I moved to Korea as an exchange student studying languages at university.

 

I was discovered while I was shopping on the streets of Myeongdong, a shopping district in the capital city Seoul. My Korean was no longer a problem at that point and so I had no trouble communicating with the people around me. My friends and I were buying clothes, going from shop to shop, picking and choosing the ones we liked. I was waiting by the side for my friends, who were in the middle of paying, when a woman dressed in formal attire tapped me on the shoulder.

 

I turned around to meet her strangely intense gaze. The expression on her face did not seem at all friendly.

 

‘What is your name?’ she said bluntly as soon as I came to face her. It was not a question but an order.

 

‘I-I’m Luhan.’ I said, rather taken aback by her forwardness.

 

‘Luhan…’ she nodded as if she knew but was asking anyway.

 

She took a small step back and her dark eyes ran up and down my body as she thought to herself.

 

‘Is there something wrong?’ I asked, confused.

 

Suddenly, she leaned forward and spoke in an undertone so that only I would hear. The strong smell of perfume overwhelmed me, her eyes piecing as they stared into mine.

 

‘You’re one of them. What power do you possess?’ she said in a hushed voice.

 

I immediately jerked back and stared at her wide-eyed. Did I hear wrong? I had never told anyone about my strange ability before, not after I realised I was different. It was the first time I had heard it ever mentioned, let alone by a complete stranger. The woman, on the other hand, was not alarmed by my reaction and waited patiently for me to respond.

 

‘How did you-’ I started, ignoring her question.

 

She reached into her plain black handbag and held out a business card.

 

‘If you want to know more, just come to this address. I’ll be waiting.’ She spoke quickly.

 

I stared at the silver lettered writing printed on the card:

 

SM Entertainment

 

Then I looked up again…

 

But she was gone.