Photographer

The Changkyu Series~

Changmin sat down on the plastic chair, cleaning the lens of his camera. The other staff had gone to lunch, but not Changmin. His breakfast was large enough for about 4 or 5 lunches, not to mention the fact that he had snacked constantly throughout the previous photo-shoot. Changmin grimaced, he wanted to eat, but remembered the doctor telling him to 'cut down'. An apple should suffice for now. Changmin plopped a piece in his mouth after placing the cloth in his hand down. Being a photographer was his job, and Changmin actually enjoyed it to some extent, rather than being a model like before. He didn't hate the work too much, but Changmin placed it in the column of the jobs he didn't want.

Suddenly, Changmin heard the door open. He turned, seeing someone enter. Changmin figured it was just a model based on the height and didn't think too much of it, he had seen his fair share of beautiful people. Changmin turned back, placing another piece of apple in his mouth. Suddenly, he froze as he suddenly felt self-conscious. Changmin had taken a chair when everyone left, and placed it at the buffet table. His face burned just a little tint of crimson, he should have really thought it through.

Changmin heard the footsteps approaching, Changmin still didn't turn. He had met people with beautiful hearts and beautiful faces, but he had also met people with pretty faces and ugly hearts. Changmin would have called those people with ugly hearts beautiful as well, but the inside always affected the outside appearance. Changmin closed his eyes, head down. Suddenly, the footsteps stopped, then hearing a crunch. Changmin's eyes widened quickly, staring up.

There, he stared to see another man. And yes, like Changmin predicted, it was a model. Probably. The person standing in front of him had pretty skin, lighter in comparison to Changmin's own. His eyes were also pretty, almond shaped. And for some reason, it reminded Changmin of his dog which he had left at his parents' house. Lips, pretty. Nose, pretty. hairstyle, pretty. Though, was this person beautiful? Changmin was surprised that the model was eating the chips. In fact, Changmin was surprised that the model was eating anything. The other stared at him, giving an indifferent gaze.

"Nice to meet you, I am Cho Kyuhyun." He, the model, spoke. Changmin stared, surprised at the sudden greeting, eyes glazed over Kyuhyun's hand which was reaching for his. Changmin normally didn't like body contact, and often tried to avoid it, but in this instant, he didn't mind.

With a confused heart, Changmin placed his hand out and shook the other's. Kyuhyun gave him a smile, "Likewise, I'm Shim Changmin."

Kyuhyun stared at the photographer for a second, giving a somewhat confused look. His voice hitched, "Well, it seems like we would be standing on the opposite sides of the camera."

"I don't want to." Changmin replied bluntly, quickly scolding himself after. He really had to control his tongue. Changmin watched Kyuhyun's expression, noticing the clear annoyance at first which slowly faded into a glare.

"I never said you had to, I'm just saying that you're so good-looking that you should stand while I take pictures of you." Kyuhyun quickly said, Changmin stifled a smile at those words. It was the strangest flattery Changmin had received, Kyuhyun gave a slight pout afterwards when seeing the other didn't react.

"Is that a compliment?" Changmin asked, just in case the model had meant it as an insult. Kyuhyun scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

"No Sherlock, it's an insult. Calling someone good-looking is one of the most horrible things a person can do." Kyuhyun replied sarcastically, Changmin continued to stare. This guy was strange.

Changmin shook his head, giving a sickeningly sweet look, "Well aren't you clever?"

Kyuhyun watched the other, giving a 'are you challenging me?' type of look. He smirked. "Yes, very."

"Whatever, hurry up and stand over there so I can take a photo later." Changmin said, pointing to the handmade stage which the staff had created. It was clear Kyuhyun didn't listen to his words, bringing a chair over from another table and sitting opposite of Changmin.

The model gave an interested look, causing Changmin to feel somewhat hesitant. Kyuhyun hummed, "You look like a model, why did you become a photographer?"

Changmin froze for a second, regaining his posture after, "I don't like getting my picture taken, especially when I'm 'modelling'. I did used to do it before, but I quit."

"Really? Why?" Kyuhyun asked, the innocence in his voice something Changmin wasn't used to before. His eyes shot up to the ceiling as he thought.

"I... I just hate it, acting in front of the camera and pretending to be someone you're not. Put in positions which you aren't even comfortable with, and at the end having your face covered by make-up or altered by technology. That's all a model is, isn't it? An actor?" Changmin questioned, causing Kyuhyun to consider his words. Slowly, Kyuhyun gave an amused smile.

"That's one way of looking at it." Kyuhyun spoke, sipping water from his drink bottle after. Changmin gave a bemused look.

"Is there another way? Kyuhyun?" Changmin asked back, Kyuhyun smirked after hearing his own name.

He straightened his posture, giving Changmin a serious expression. His eyes thinned for a second, as if he were eyeing Changmin for such a suggestion. The photographer froze, a smile then appearing on Kyuhyun's lips, "I am not someone who pretends to be someone, or something, I'm not. I do not act in front of the camera, I pose. And you want to know what I think a pose does? It helps me express myself. To be a model is not to pretend, it is to express who you want to be. It helps you cover up all those dirty flaws and blemishes, and become perfect; the type of perfect a person could only dream of. It's my own type of perfection, and it is different from anyone else's. I feel that a model is simply someone who shows who they want to be."

Changmin's eyes widened with the words, the thoughts racing through his mind. Slowly, Changmin suspiciously glanced at him, "...What about themes? When you are told to change since the photo-shoot-"

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, giving a daring smile, "Details, details. At some moment, in everyone's life, they will have to change themselves to accustom to another person. The only difference between that though is whether or not they will stay like that. Will you stay altered? Or will you express who you are in the next phase? Tell me, Changmin, what would you do?"

"I... I'm not sure." Changmin spoke, unable to comprehend how he entered such a situation. Kyuhyun was giving out such a strange charm and charisma, and his puzzling words only made him think even more. Kyuhyun hummed with the words, shaking his head in disapproval.

"You have to make up your mind, otherwise, you'll be forced to change every single thing about yourself. And when you try to become who you actually are, you'd have forgotten every single detail." Kyuhyun whispered, an audacious smile on his lips.

The photographer gave a bemused look, scowling at the words, "That's... That's impossible. Nobody can forget who they are."

"You clearly don't understand. What makes us who we are in the first place? What creates our personality?" Kyuhyun asked in an almost serious tone, it seemed that he was toying with Changmin a bit. And the other did notice. He tried to think of a logical answer.

"Well, it has to do with the process of growing u-" Changmin was cut off. Kyuhyun gave him a disbelieving stare before shaking his head once again.

"Memories. We are who we are, and there's no changing that. It's not because of who our parents are, not because of who our friends are, not because of where and not because how we grew up or how we were raised. It's the memories it gives you." Kyuhyun said, taking another chip and placing it in his mouth.

Changmin gave a confused look, "And this connects how?"

Kyuhyun shrugged slightly, sipping some more water, "If you spend all your time being changed, you won't enjoy yourself. You'll be putting all your effort into trivial things, and won't notice the world passing around you. So in the end, you won't create any important memories and end up losing yourself."

"...Huh." Changmin hummed, the words somehow making sense in his head. Well, only some of it. Kyuhyun closed his eyes for a second, giving a somewhat teasing smile.

"Will you stay altered? Or will you change?" Kyuhyun questioned, Changmin bit his lower lip.

After thinking for a little, Changmin rested his head on his hand, "I'll... I'll change."

Kyuhyun stared, a smile quickly appearing on his lips when hearing the answer. He stood up, "Good to know. Now let's start."

"Why did you tell me those things?" Changmin questioned, before letting Kyuhyun walk away from him. The staff was beginning to enter, Kyuhyun looked away with another shrug.

"Well, I don't like the reputation us models receive. I also don't like what people think. It doesn't hurt to expand someone's knowledge, does it? To give someone a different perspective." Kyuhyun stated, causing Changmin to feel even more curious than before.

Changmin stood up as well, "Huh."

The two stared at each other for a couple seconds, Kyuhyun giving a smirk after, "You look interested in my philosophy, want to hear more?"

The photographer rolled his eyes, a smile appearing on his lips. The equipment was being moved, and soon, Changmin knew that he and Kyuhyun would no longer be able to speak. He smiled, "If it's over a dinner, then yes."

Kyuhyun's eyes widened at the sudden offer, laughing softly, "I expect that you're the one who'll be paying."

"Of course." Changmin replied, seeing a smile on the model's lip before he ran off. Changmin sighed, stretching his muscles as they had become stiff from not moving for a while. He smiled.

That model was beautiful.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm... What do you think? Confusing? I was watching anime, well, mainly Code Geass which is one of the greatest animes ever (I honestly don't like mecha, but this was an exception). I kind of was just thinking of C.C and was picturing her... Do you like it? Sequel?~ And on the other note, if you've watched Code Geass, do you think Lelouch lived or died? ^^