We Set Off

I'm Living Where??

 

 What do I do? Just smile and nod. Yeah, just smile, nod, and roll with it.  “So, uh, mind showing me the way?” As much as I wanted to be calm, I was a nervous wreck. Here I was, having Eli Kim show me the way to his vehicle. How could I not be even the slightest bit nervous?
 
 “I hope you don’t mind, but I won’t have time to show you around. Our manager is taking- Oh, you know who I am, right,” I nodded and he continued on, “O.K., good. That makes things easier. Anyways, I’ll only have time to show you the apartment and lay down a few ground rules. Araso?” He finished loading my luggage into the back of the van before looking back at me. He looked exhausted and worn. What do they put these idols through? “I’m really sorry that I won’t have time to do anything else today but tomorrow’s a whole new day! Or, something like that.” He rubbed the back of his neck and climbed in the van. I followed suit and sat in the back, away from him. I already felt out of place, no need to make it worse.

 I scooted to the window and stared at the passing scenery. I absolutely loved it here! I always was more of a city person so I felt right at home. Kind of. I allowed myself to zone in and out. I listened to Eli and the manager talking, trying to grasp what they were saying. It was probably about his schedule later tonight. I wonder what my schedule tonight will be. Unpacking of course. After that I’ll probably find something to eat, watch a movie. What if he doesn’t have any though? He’s probably never at home so what’s the use for such things? I can always ask. Or I can just watch T.V. then go to sleep. Yeah, there’s a plan. Then again, it couldn’t hurt to ask. “Um, Eli? I was just wondering, but do you have any movies at your place?”

 “Huh? Oh, yeah. Some are Korean though and I don’t think you’d understand them though. I have a few James Bond ones. You like James Bond, right?” He turned around in his seat to look at me. What was I supposed to say? Sure they were O.K. but I wasn’t really in the mood for one tonight. Wait- that’s right, he idolizes him. I should just play along and say yes then.

 “Those movies are alright. And if not, I’ll just find something on T.V.” I sat back into my seat and closed my eyes. So this is what their van is like. Not as uncomfortable as I expected. I wasn’t sure if Eli had his driver’s license yet so this and the bus were probably going to be my way of transportation while I’m staying with him. “Hey, do you mind if I call my mom with your phone? I promised that I’d call once I landed but mine doesn’t have the international plan yet.”

 “Sure! Can you catch?” He took his phone out.

 “Yes? Omo!” I just barely caught it. He aimed straight for me and if I wouldn’t have caught it, I would have had a face full of phone. I mumbled my thanks and dialed my mom’s number. “Hi mom, it’s Skylar!-I’m calling from Eli’s phone. Yes, I’m fine. I’m in the van on my way to the apartment.–Yes, all of the luggage arrived. – He’s um,” I had to think my next words over carefully, he was staring right at me waiting for a reply, “Nice so far,” I smiled having come up with an idea, “Although, tonight he plans on leaving me in the apartment all alone. I even heard that his place is in the bad part of the city. What if someone breaks in while he’s gone?”

 “Yah! Don’t tell her things like that! She’ll tell my dad!” He unbuckled his seatbelt as I continued to talk about his place. He managed to climb to the very back despite the manager’s protests and orders for him to sit back down. “Give me the phone back if you’re going to say things like that!” He lurched forward for the phone but I ducked to the side causing him to fall on top of me. “Give it back!”

 “Hey, mom! He’s terrible! He’s on top of me right now trying to- Hmm? - Y-yes ma’am.” I handed the phone back to Eli, who violently took it out of my hands. I could barely keep the smile off of my face. Does he not have a sense of humor? Then again, I only just met him. He settled himself in the seat in front of me and apologized to my mom and tried explaining how his apartment was the absolute safest place for me and that I was in no danger. His shoulders relaxed once he was informed that I was merely joking around. He even laughed a little bit. It was a nervous laugh, but one none the less. I laughed to myself as he talked with my mother.

 “Yes Ms. Ray, I will take care of her. -No Ms. Ray, I’m fine having her staying with me. –Yes ma’am. –Goodbye.” He set his phone down and said something to the manager causing him to take a sudden left turn. “Okay Skylar, we’re almost there,” He climbed into the back seat with me and gave me a look that said he wasn’t pleased, “Why’d you do that? You were absolutely silent and peaceful then- then whatever just happened happened. Why’d you tell your mom that? She told me that you were joking but why? I don’t even really know you yet and the same for you.” I looked away. I felt a little guilty now. He’s right, I don’t know him and he doesn’t know me.

 “I guess it’s because I wanted to feel at home so I tried playing around like I would to any other family member. I’m sorry if I caused a problem…,” I glanced back over with a small grin on my face, “You should have seen the look on your face though! It was classic! A true Kodak moment.” A small pain shot through my arm as he responded with a punch. “I know I said that I wanted to act like family but that doesn’t mean that you can resort to violence.” I rubbed my arm and he just smiled. “What is it?”

 “You remind me of a mix of Kevin and Dongho. It’s actually quite scary.” His band members? No way I reminded him of them. They’re probably all cool acting and I’m just some weirdo that made my mom think that he was trying to kill me. “Don’t look at me like that! It’s totally true! Anyways, we’re here, Little Miss Pain.”

 “Who do you think that you’re- Whoa.” The van rolled to a stop in front of a beautiful modern yet traditional building. I followed Eli out of the van and thanked his manager before running to the back of the van for my luggage. He took the two heaviest and left me with my two back packs and the lightest bag. By the time I shut the doors and the trunk, he was already halfway to the doors. “Yah! Wait up! Don’t make me use my limited Korean on you!” I ran to catch up and slowed down once I reached the doors.

 He chuckled and opened the doors for me. “After you, Pain.” Again with that name.

 “Thanks and it’s Skylar. S-K-Y-L-A-R. Got it?” I kept pace with him as we made our way to the elevators. He stopped in front of one and a puzzled look crossed his face. “What is it?”

 “It looks like they’re out of order. Why don’t you go ahead and take the stairs and wait for me. It’s floor five. Just wait near the stairs when you get up there, I’m gonna go alert the owner.” I followed his orders and made my way up the stairs. Aish, why did they have to be broken when I have luggage to carry? I didn’t have a lot to take up and it wasn’t heavy, but after a while- meaning five flights of stairs- you start to feel it. Once I reached the top, I did as he said and waited. Right next to the stairway was the elevator I was supposed to take. “But nooo, you just had to be broken! You couldn’t have waited to break down later tonight when it was just an exhausted Eli.” I kicked the elevator with the side of my foot. Ding! The singnal for a rising elevator flashed on the monitor. “I fixed it? I FIXED IT! I need to go tell El-” I stood there dumbfounded. Coming out of the elevator was the pigeon himself. “What are you doing? I thought it broke?”

 At my reaction, he started to break out in laughter. “You actually thought it broke? HA! Nope, I just wanted revenge for earlier. How’re your arms doing after the small walk up here?” He grabbed the luggage he came up here with and walked down the hall towards his apartment. “You coming or not?”

 I could barely move. All I could think about was how evil that little trick was. I don’t even think I would stoop that low. I mumbled a, “Coming,” and followed him with Jell-O arms from the weight. It seemed like an eternity before we finally stopped at a door. Room 313. Great, it’s not that hard to remember. “So this is the one?” I reached for the handle.

 “What do you think you’re doing? One; I need to unlock it first and two; you need to wait until you’re invited in.” He shoved me aside and proceeded to unlock the door. “You may enter, just remove your shoes. You’re in Korea now.” I followed him inside and took off my shoes. He looked down at them and kicked them to the side.

 “Hey, why’d you kick them? These aren’t just any ordinary shoes; they’re limited edition Batman Converse. They were extremely hard to find and I would appreciate it if you’d treat them with respect. Now where’s the bathroom?” I walked around him and looked down the halls. His place wasn’t bad. Smaller than what I thought an idol would have but nice.

 “I either kick them out of the way or you. You’re choice. The bathroom’s down the hall second door on the left. Until I get your own closet ready, your stuff’s gonna be kept in mine. When you’re done just look for my bedroom and help me unpack your things.” He took all of my luggage in hand and made his way down the same hall and I made my way to the bathroom.

 Once done, I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked slightly better than on the plane, but it was also cooler here. I fixed my hair into a loose bun and made my way to his room. “You can unpack everything in the blue suitcases but leave the yellow one to me. That’s the one with my clothes,” I took the yellow bag and opened his closet. It was surprisingly clean, and roomy. “Heh, hey, can I sleep in your closet?”

 “Why? So you can raid my underwear drawer like a crazy fangirl?” I felt my face heat up as I quickly turned to put my things away. That jerk.

 “ert. No, that’s not why. It just seems roomier than your couch. Where do you want me to hang my shirts up?” I just finished dumping everything out and had a pile of colors at my feet.

 “Just fold them. I have an iron if you need it so it’ll be fine. The white cubbies are yours. I bought them just for this occasion and expect a thank you. The black ones are mine so don’t touch them, araso?” I just snorted and put away my clothes. Shirts in the top drawer, pants in the second, shorts in the next and undergarments in the last. Since there were two storage bins I kept my shoes in the second one. Three of the four drawers were filled with my Converse and the last was filled with only two pairs of flats. I really did need more variety. Eli's voice came from outside the closet, “Hey Pain, nice camera. Do you photograph?”

 Honestly, this guy was killing me. “Nooo, I just have a camera like that because I’m a mathematician!” I rolled my eyes and leaned on the doorframe. Was it not obvious what I was? I pushed off the frame and walked over to him taking the camera. “Of course. That’s why I’m here now.” I sat on the bed and examined my camera. Any girl I know back home would want some sort of accessory or flower. Me, I would be the happiest person in the world if I got something to do with photography. I looked up at Eli who was unloading the bag with all of my equipment. “Do you like taking pictures?”

 “Hmm? Yeah, I mean, I like the pictures of myself the most. Ow! What? It’s true!” I stood up as he situated his face full of pillow and walked out to the living room. I sat on the sofa and the television. A drama was on so I decided to search for his movies.

 “I’m gonna look for your movies so you better not have anything bad!” I sat in front of the T.V. and sifted through his DVD cabinet. A few animated movies like Shrek, there was Avatar, a few Korean movies, and the entire James Bond collection. Wow, when he said that he was his favorite, he meant it. I heard footsteps and threw a movie in his direction.

 “Nice, but you missed. But what would you know about things like that? What are you, 17? 18? You should have an innocent mind, not one like mine.” He took a seat on the arm of the couch and started to read the back of the movie. “So, while I’m gone, you’ll be watching –instead of exploring the city and getting to know the area –a movie tonight.”

 I took a seat next to him and stared at the black television screen. “Yup. I don’t have a key yet so it’s my only choice,” I looked up at him, “Unless a certain someone would want to give me one.” I lightly punched him on the shoulder and eyed him but he simply shook his head.

 “No, you’re going to stay here and wait for me to get home. Maybe in a week or so you can have one, but not now. I don’t trust you quite yet.” He placed the movie down and crossed the room into the kitchen. He grabbed something out of a cabinet and placed it on the counter. “If you get hungry you can have some chips and if you get tired, stay out of my room. Just sleep on the couch. Now, the manager’s probably outside now waiting with the others so I’ve gotta go. Don’t get into anything unless I said you could.” I watched him leave and sighed. He’s more accepting of me than I thought he would be.

 “Bye,” I mumbled and put the disk into the player. I sat back and wondered what the rest of my time was going to be like. Eli seemed like a person I could easily get along with. It’s just his full-of-it attitude that I’m going to have troubles with.

  I didn’t feel that hungry so I just sat back. Lowering myself into a laying position, I began to drift off. I thought about what it was going to be like. I plan on going to the college for at least four years, but by then I’d have my own place. No way was I going to live with him for that long. In the time I am staying here though, I’ll need to find some things out. Like how I’m even related to him. I’ll also need to learn more about him; the more personal things. Things that the reporters and interviewers don’t know. I could also try to get him into taking the pictures rather than staring at himself in them.

 The movie was half way through now and I was beginning to fall asleep. I rolled onto my side and closed my eyes. My first night in Seoul, goodnight. The sounds of Donkey and Shrek weren’t the ideal things to fall asleep to, but they would do. I allowed myself to drift off into a dream-filled sleep for the night.