Goodbye, Hello

I'm Living Where??

“You O.K.?” I felt a hand on my shoulder. If only…
 
 “Yeah, I’m fine,” I reassured Lauren as I took my seat in the waiting area. This was it, I’m leaving for Seoul. To Eli. I’m still shaken up by the fact we’re related let alone going to be living together. One good thing is that he’ll probably have such a busy schedule that I’ll be able to go out most of the time without him. I wonder how he agreed to it. He’s probably like me, skeptical about all this. His dad probably just sprung this on him like my mom did to me. I sighed and turned toward Lauren, “Can I tell you something? You can’t tell anyone else if I tell you.” She nodded and I continued, “You know that group U-KISS,” another nod, “You know the members? Kevin, SooHyun, Kiseop, AJ, Dongho, Hoon, and….” I waited for her to finish.

 “Eli! Yuh huh! Why?” She furrowed her eyebrows and I took a deep breath. There’s no turning back.

 “Funny story actually, you see, we’re uh… How do I say this? Related.” ….. C’mon Lauren! Some response other than that look. Yup, it was obvious, she didn’t believe me.

 “So what you’re trying to tell me is that you two are related? That you’re going to move aaaaaall the way to Korea and hang out with a busy idol?” She leaned forward and squeezed my shoulder. “Hun, I know you want me to come with you but this is no way to- OW! What was that for?” She rubbed the hand I just slapped away and frowned, letting her sandy-colored hair fall in front of her face.

 “Don’t be like that! I’m serious! Somehow, Mom got in touch with some relatives on my dad’s side and now I’ll be living with him! I’m serious! Ugh, follow me.” I grabbed her wrist, got up, and dragged her to where my mom was dropping off my luggage. If she won’t believe it coming from me, she’ll have to when my mom tells her. “Mom, aren’t I going to be living with Pigeon- Eli from U-KISS?” I let go of Lauren and she crossed her arms, her eyes questioning my mom.

 “Oh, that’s where he’s from! See, I knew he looked familiar from the pictures I showed you and now I get why you freaked out every time I mentioned it. In that case, yes. Why?” She looked from me to Lauren and made a small ‘O’ shape with . “Yes, yes. It’s true. She’s not going crazy. Yet.” She smiled at my friend and patted my head. “So,” she perked up more, if that’s possible, and clapped her hands, “Skylar, dear, your flight will be here any moment. Why doesn’t Lauren walk you down to the gate? I’m terrible with goodbyes so I’ll stay here and make sure no one steals your luggage. Call me once you land, alright?” I nodded and hugged her. I couldn’t bring myself to say anything or else I’d start crying. “Bye, sweetie!”

 I waved and started off toward the gates. “Heh, I told you I was related. But nooo you didn’t believe me!” I glanced at Lauren; she looked on the verge of tears like me. “You’re gonna call, right?” I had to brush a tear away before I looked back over at her. Here comes the water works. With a sigh, I stopped walking.

 “Of course I’ll call. Now, what are you doing? Keep moving or you’ll miss the flight!” She shoved my straight for the entrance. She handed the ticket to the attendant and pushed me through the gates. “Now go! When you see Eli, tell him all about me and how I’m an awesome person. Show him how amazing of a photographer you are and get a job at NHM. Next time I see you, you better have done all of that or I’m disowning you. Got it?” Seriously? THAT’S what you have to say to me before I leave?

 “Y-yeah got it.” I turned to leave and waved goodbye. “See you when I’m famous!” I ran towards the plane with a smile on my face. Here we go! Amazing how someone’s mood can change with the help of a friend. When I found my seat, I placed the small bags filled with snacks under the seat and looked for the bathroom. I like to um, go, before everybody starts to enter. That way they don’t know I’m in here. Weird I know but it’s what I do.

 Once done, I washed my hands and looked in the mirror. I pulled my hair back into a loose ponytail and turned the faucet again. I was sweating like crazy and my forehead was drenched. The plane had the temperature up because of the weather outside: snowy with a chance of blizzard. I grabbed a hand full of paper towels, soaked them, then my face further. I was scrubbing for nearly eight minutes before there was a knock on the door. A shuffling sound came before the voice, “Excuse me miss, but is everything alright? An attendant saw you enter several minutes ago and wanted to be sure you weren’t sick or hurt.”

 “I’m fine, just cleaning up! I’ll be out in a second!” I mentally slapped myself. I’m cleaning up? She probably thinks that I’m, ugh no- she can’t be! With that thought, I hurriedly dried everything and made my way out of the bathroom. I bowed slightly to the attendant and headed back to my seat. Everybody had already entered along with my seat-mate. She looked to be around 25 or so with darker skin and deep blackish-blue hair. When I got to my seat, she adjusted herself so I could take my seat. Since she didn’t seem to want to start a conversation, I just stared out the window. Only six hours then I’m off of this thing! Only six hours until I’m in Korea! Only six hours until- No, I couldn’t let my mind wander like that. Upon the pilot’s orders, I fastened my seatbelt and prepared for takeoff. I looked over at the person next to me, “So, why are you heading for Korea?”

 She turned to me with a smile. “I’m visiting my mother. I’m studying in America so I promised that I’d visit every summer. How about you?”

 Trying not to look nervous at this question, I smiled back as best I could. “I’m going to study there! Pretty ironic, huh? I’m staying with a relative too! A….. Cousin, of sorts.” I stretched my hand out in front of me, "Hi, I'm Skylar. Skylar Ray.”

 She took mine in her own and shook. “I’m Mari, Skylar Ray. Mari Nunez. What’s with that look? Oh it’s my last name isn’t it,” I nodded, rubbing the back of my head in embarrassment, “It’s fine! My dad’s Columbian so that’s where my unKorean-like features come in.” She motioned to her skin and curly hair. I made a slight ‘O’ and turned back towards the window.

 “Mari? I don’t really know the Seoul area that well, and I would uh, appreciate it if you could show me around sometime.” I looked back at her waiting for a response but instead she just asked for a pen. Luckily for her I always kept one in my pocket or bag. I pulled it out and handed it to her. I felt my cheeks burning a bit from the pen. I had always bought pens with either cute animals of puff balls and tinsel and it was a bit embarrassing. Once Mari got the ink running, she grabbed my hand and started writing something on the palm of it. I craned my neck over to see what she was writing. “Is that your… Phone number?”

 “Mmmhmm! Just call or text whenever want the all exclusive tour of the most beautiful place I know! Be sure not to wash your hands until you enter it into your phone. Oh, do it now! That’ll make it easier.” I took my hand back and brought out my phone, entering her number. She gave the pen back and I placed it back in my pocket.

 “So I’ll call you when I get settled in, deal?” She agreed and we started talking. We were like two open books, sharing everything! Well, almost everything on my part. I talked about my home and friends in Michigan and she talked about hers in Illinois. A few inside jokes were even made! Yep, my first friend in my new adventure! She was thrilled with the idea that I was a photographer and made me promise that I’ll use her as a model one day, or at least invite her to my first photo-shoot with an idol group. In return, I get a free checkup when she becomes a doctor. I think I’m the real winner here, I get to stay healthy and she gets to meet an idol group. Oh wait, never mind. Yeah, she has the better deal, but I’ll still be healthy!

 Near the four hour mark we decided to get some rest to pass the time. It did me good though. With all of the stress I’ve faced in the past few days, I was barely able to get any sleep. I was shaken awake by the plane landing. Mari and my half asleep self gathered our things and prepared to get off. Once the passengers were given the O.K. to leave, we raced to exit the plane. A six hour flight and our legs were cramped like crazy. When we reached the luggage pick up, we knew we had to separate. My bags came through first, my blue polka dotted bags. I carried them over to the side and waited with Mari for hers. “So this is it? Until I call that is, right?” We faced each other and smiled.

 “Mmm, and you’re going to call. I don’t care if I have to track you down, you’re calling!” O.K., slightly scary but nothing I’m not used to by now. “Oh! Well, here’s my stuff! I’ll miss you!” She leaned in and we hugged each other goodbye.

 “I’ll call you soon!” With that, I left with a sigh. I dragged my bags to the front of the airport and waited for my ride. Does he even know what I look like? What if he brings the other members? No, he wouldn’t do that. If I were him I wouldn’t. That would be embarrassing! I just knew that I had to stop my worrying! I sat on a bench outside and soaked in the summer air. It was so nice here, no snow and all sun. Since it looked like it would take a while, I dug out my iPhone and plugged in my earbuds. I switched the song to Baby Don’t Cry and silently sang along. Ha! How great would it be if he caught me singing a U-KISS song? Not very…

 I was interrupted at the chorus by a dark shadow. I paused the song and looked up, half expecting someone looking for directions and half expecting Eli. My expression must’ve been pretty amusing because a smile filled his face. The second half was right. “Hi,” he said,” offering me a hand, “Are you Skylar?” A DC ball cap covered his eyes but I could just make out his features. He looked so different in person. So, natural.

 I took his hand and stood up, “Yes I am! And you must be Eli.” Here we go…