~Two~

Love Never Dies

 

Kevin coughed violently.  His condition was getting worse.  Cherie didn’t know how much longer she could keep him alive.  Just the thought of losing him broke her heart. 

  “Cherie?”

  Kevin’s voice was weak and raw. 

  “Yes?”

  “Can you come sit by me?  I feel cold.”

  Cherie pinched the bridge of her nose.  Setting the glass containers she was holding on the table, Cherie made her way over to the rusted, iron bed.  Kevin gave her a feeble smile.  Over the months his body and spirit had begun to decay.  She had watched a happy, bright boy turn into a shadow.  His skin had lost its radiance, lips drained of color, and his once sparkling eyes had sunken deep into his skull.  Large, black circles hung under his bead orbs, making him look even more like a corpse.

  “Do you need another blanket?” she asked sitting down on the bed.

  Kevin painfully shook his head, “Just you.”

  Cherie swallowed the choking noise that threatened to escape .  This boy had a strong hold on her heart.  She didn’t dare call it love.  For all she knew as soon as the words ‘I love you’ left Kevin would die.  He took her hand gently into his bony one, the thin fingers wrapping around her hand.  She stared at them.  They looked like death itself. 

  “Please don’t look so down.”

  Cherie glanced at him.  His expression was solemn. 

  “I am sorry. Just…”

  “I know I am dying.”

  Kevin squeezed her hand.  Cherie turned her head away from him.  She felt like the weakest person on the planet.  Vampires all over the world would be laughing at her in this moment.

  “Don’t say that, Kevin.  I am going to find a medicine that will get you well again.  I only need more time. I will find it Kevin!  I promise!”

  Kevin shook his head. 

  “You know as well as I do that I can’t come back from this.  It killed half the village.  Even an amazing doctor like you can’t save me.  I can’t be saved.”

  Cherie covered her face with her hands.  Even he had come to terms with his fate.  Why couldn’t it be that easy for her?  Why did she have to feel like this?  Still, even with her heart bleeding, Kevin’s words echoed through her had.  She could save his life; give him another one.  He would never get to feel the sun on his skin again or hunger the same, but he would live.   Even though Cherie had spent nearly a year with Kevin in her care, the vampire had never told him what she was. 

  Even now with Kevin dying at her side and the thoughts of turning him running through her head, she couldn’t bring herself to tell him.  Kevin tugged at her skirt.  Cherie took a deep breath before returning her attention to him. 

  “When I am gone…please don’t forget me.”

  Cherie felt a tear pull at the corner of her eye. 

  “How could I ever forget you?” her voice hinted sorrow.

  Kevin knitted his brow together.  He didn’t like it when Cherie was upset.  It made his heart hurt. 

  “I just thought I would say it…Everyone else I knew forgot me when I became sick.  I didn’t want you to forget me after I was gone.”

  Cherie hesitated, then bent down to kiss Kevin’s clammy forehead.  She had never given him any physical contact like that.  The whole thing seemed dangerous to her.  Kevin, however, was overjoyed.  Cherie could even see a pinch of red in his cheeks.

  “I care far too much about you to let you slip so easily from my mind.  When…” she paused, taking a moment to breathe, “When you’re gone…I will miss you more than anyone is this whole world.”

     Kevin stared at her softly.  His eyes seemed to burrow holes into her.  She began to feel hot and started to pull at her dress. 

  “Why won’t you say it?” he asked.

  “Say what?”

Cherie was genuinely confused.  Kevin’s question threw her for a loop.

  “Why don’t you say what’s on your mind.  I can see it in your eyes.  You are thinking really hard about something, but you aren’t saying it.”

  “I don’t think you should worry about it.”

  Cherie went to stand but Kevin held fast to her hand.  He still had a little strength in him. 

  “Please tell me.  Whatever it is, it is eating you up inside.  I don’t like seeing you like this.”

  Cherie looked at him for a long time.  Kevin would be gone soon…maybe if she told him the pain in her heart would ease a bit.  Of course it wouldn’t go away completely, but just be bearable for awhile.  She sat down again.  Kevin smiled happily.  Cherie laughed softly at his expression.

  “You are the only person that I trust…that is alive.”

  Kevin gave her a puzzled look.

  “But you’re sister and then Dongho…”

  Cherie calmly his hair and kissed his hand.  Kevin hunched his shoulders as he blushed.  He had always dreamed of her affection.  Now that he was finally receiving it, his weakened heart was beating rapidly.

  “I said alive. Have you ever wondered why I looked so young?  You never see doctors that are fifteen years of age.”

  Kevin glanced down, “I never thought of that.  I was too distracted by the beautiful young woman that was caring for me…”

  Cherie felt warmth spread in her that she had never felt before.  She could feel something stirring in her.

   “I am not what you think I am….”

  “So you aren’t a young intelligent person that has risked her life taking care of me.  Who also puts others before herself, has the voice of an angel…” Kevin cut off the finish the rest of his sentence in silence, ‘and the one that stole my heart.’

  “I mean…I am not human. Entirely. I breathe, speak, and move but I am not alive completely.  I am a damned creature, Kevin. Something people should only have nightmares about.”

  Kevin thought what she was saying over.  He didn’t understand at first, but then it began to dawn on him.  Cherie hardly ever ate, he had never seen her step foot into the sun, and she never slept. 

  “You never eat or sleep.”

  “Hardly.  I sleep little because I do not need to.  I eat but not what normal people would call eating.”

  “And the sun…”

  “We aren’t very good friends.”

  “You’re a…”

  “Vampire.”

  If possible Kevin managed to turn even paler than he already was.  Cherie felt her heart drop.  She knew he would react like this.

  “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

  “I didn’t want you to know.  I cared too much about you.  I thought if I told you I was a vampire you would leave.  I didn’t want that. I was selfish and kept you to myself.”

  “You weren’t acting selfish,” Kevin chuckled.

  “No?”

  “You love me.”

  Cherie’s eyes widened.  Kevin snickered.

  “Don’t worry. I love you too.”

  Cherie looked down at the bed.  She hadn’t said it, but he did.  Dread set in.  She refused to blink.  Blinking meant watching him disappear. 

  “Cherie…”

  She remained silent.  Kevin pouted.  Cherie never ignored him and he wanted to keep it that way.  Slowly, he pulled himself into a sitting position.  He placed a bony finger under chin and turned her head towards him.  Cherie didn’t look at him. Kevin pouted.  Here he was on his death bed, trying to get her to finally open up and just when they got somewhere she shut down.   He didn’t have much time.  Kevin knew that. He would probably be dead by sun down.  With time ticking, he decided he was going to do what he always wanted to do. 

  “I love you…” he whispered.

  Cherie’s blood pounded in her ears as Kevin drew their faces closer together.  As soon as his lips touched hers, Cherie felt her heart make a strange noise.  It was almost like he had made her human.  If this is what feeling human felt like she would willing take it.  All the coldness in her body was thawed by his kiss. 

  Kevin didn’t know how long they kissed but he didn’t care.  He would die happy now.  God had answered his last prayer.  The sensation of her lips moving with his made something bubble in his stomach.  Kevin could feel her hand sliding up his chest to his face.  It sent shivers up his spine.  Her touch electrified his whole body.  Heat began to build between their bodies.  Kevin couldn’t help but lean into her embrace.  Cherie obliged by holding his face in one hand and caressing his back with the other.  Kevin blushed when he realized he was at an angle.  His face was tilted up at her; the position made him feel feminine.  But as Cherie continued to kiss his face he no longer care and once again lost himself. 

  Cherie sighed as she on his bottom lip.  The way he tasted was driving her insane.  She needed to get more.  Taking a risk, she nibbled at his lip before running her tongue over it lightly.  Kevin stopped then opened his mouth.  Cherie let the tip of her tongue graze over every part of his mouth.  When she was done exploring his cavern, she probed at his tongue.  Kevin played her game.  Their tongues fought for dominance.  Kevin stopped, however, when he felt her sharp teeth. 

  “You okay?” Cherie asked once he pulled away. 

  Kevin swallowed, “Nothing.  Just…”

  “I’m sorry. I went too far.”

  “No! No, I was just surprised.  Your teeth are really sharp.”

  Cherie touched her lips.  His presence still lingered there.  She was beginning to miss it. 

  “Can I hear you say it?”

  “Huh?” Cherie looked up at Kevin.

  “I want to hear you say ‘I love you’.  I said it.  Now it is your turn.”

  Cherie kissed his cheek.  Even though her head screamed at her to say no, her heart could not deny him.

  “I love you.”
~

  Cherie watched Kevin as he slept.  She felt dead to her very core.  He had taken a turn for the worse.  Damn the words she had uttered. 

  “Don’t look so sad, dear sister-in-law.”

  Cherie didn’t even bother to turn around.  Kibum would be standing there giving her a stupid grin.

  “Be silent, Kibum.  I do not wish to hear your poisonous voice.”

  She intended to sound powerful, but instead her tone was weak and broken.

  “You cannot hide from me…”

A pair of hands rested on her shoulders.  Kibum’s grip was hard but gentle.

  “I know every inch of your brain,” he whispered, getting close to her ear.

  “And I feel yours.  You care about Kevin as well.”

  “I do…” Kibum’s voice was rocky, “Kevin is my friend.  My only friend…”

  Kibum glanced at the resting boy.  A painful twinge shot into his chest.

  “Then why do you hardly visit him?”
  “Death…is something….I do not wish to tangle with.  Too many memories.”

  “Hyungjoon?”

  “Ne.”

  Kibum may have been a shady character, but Cherie did understand him.  She knew how hurt he was when his brother died.  She would be the same way if her own sister had passed.

  “You can save him though, Cherie.”

  “No!” she hissed pushing away from him.

  “I cost Dongho so much!  I will not do the same to Kevin!  I would rather him die and suffer no longer than be stuck in this hell we call life!  If you want to keep him by your side then you do it, Kibum! I cannot.”

    Kibum stepped forward and gently wiped away the tears that streaked her face.  She may not have liked him, but Kibum did care for his sister-in-law.  She was his family.

  “I cannot.  Kevin would belong to me if I did that.  I long for Kevin as a friend…I do not wish anymore than that.  Kevin loves you.  You love him.  I cannot mess with that.  He may even hate me if I changed him and you didn’t.  Before you send him to heaven think about what he may want.” 

  “Why are you saying this?”

  “Because, I need to give you a little push. If you let him die…you will end up like me.”

  “Kibum.”

  “Shhh,” he pressed a finger to his lips.

  Cherie heard a soft noise.  Kevin was up.  Looking back in Kibum’s direction she saw that he was gone.

  “Did I wake you, Kevin?”

  He shook his head. 

  “I thought I heard Kibum…did he come to see me while I was sleeping?”

  “Yes. He said he would come back another time when you may be awake.”

  “Guess he came so say good bye.”

  “Don’t say that!” Cherie snapped.

  “What?  I’m dying.  You know!  I know!  WE ALL KNOW!”

  Kevin started to cough.  He covered his mouth with his hand only to catch blood.  Black blood.  Cherie ran to grab a towel.  Kevin just slumped against the pillows and stared at the ceiling. 

  “Kevin, calm yourself.”

  She started dabbing his face clean.

  “Stop!” he pushed her away weakly.

  Cherie felt her head throb.  Her hands were shaking and her bottom lip was trembling.  A break down was coming.

  “Fine!” she screamed throwing the towel on the floor, “Go ahead and die!  Leave me you bastard!  Watch the sun set and count your last breathes!  Or should I just kill you myself?!”

  “Stop!”

  Kevin covered his ears.

  “You ruined me!  I was fine before this!  I could have lived a hundred years without falling in love!  But no!  I fell in love with a human boy that God has destined to steal from me!  So I ask you!  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!  You can have my heart!  Take it with you!  Just leave so I can know you are no longer suffering!”

  Cherie didn’t bother to silence her sobbing.  Every bit of her body and damned soul hurt.  She never wanted to scream at him.  It hurt her more than it probably hurt him.

  “I want to be with you forever,” he mumbled.

  “No…I won’t do that to you…”

  “If you love me you will.”

  “Of course I love you!”

  “Then do it!  Don’t put me in the ground to rot!  Save me so I can be by your side forever!  I would much rather be cursed to walk the world as the undead, than watch over you as you mourn me.  Please…I need this.  I need you.”

  Cherie screamed in frustration.  Kevin clutched his chest.  His heart was beating too fast.  Yelling had done him no good. 

  ‘Cherie.’

  “GO AWAY!”

  ‘I promise.  Your pain will end.  Do as he wishes.  If you let him go you will find yourself in a place you will never escape from. Do it.’

Cherie looked at Kevin.

  ‘Do it, Cherie!’

  “Damn you both…”

  Reaching out, she grabbed Kevin’s neck and bit into his flesh.  Kevin yelped.  He gripped her shoulders as he felt himself slipping away.  Cherie held him tightly.  His blood was just as delicious as his mouth.  When he had reached his limit she stopped.  Kevin lay limp in her arms.  He stared up at her in a dream like daze.  She whimpered.  She had done this to him. 

  “Go on, Cherie.”  Kibum was back.

  He stood on the other side of the room leaning against the old table.  His arms folded as he waited. 

  “Kibum…”

  “You really will lose him is you don’t hurry.”

  Cherie bit her wrist.

  “Kevin…”

  She placed her bleeding wrist over his lips.  Kevin winched once the liquid touched his lips.  It was cold.  Soon as more flowed into his mouth he began to feel different. Like all the life was coming back to him.  He was getting stronger.  No this was different.  That’s when the burning started.  A fierce burning deep within him.  It was almost too much to bear.  Cherie held him as the fire consumed his body.  He twitched violently and cried out in pain.  It sent Cherie into tears again.  She buried her head in his shirt.  Only when a sweet gasp was emitted from his mouth did she look up.

  Kevin had gone through a physically transformation.  His face was full again, his pale radiance was blinding, and his eyes…his eyes were alive again.  The beautiful chocolate orbs stared into hers.  All she could see was wonder and happiness.  Besides looking healthy once again, Kevin’s long, ragged hair had straightened.  It was now trimmed to just below his chin.  It was full and looked soft to the touch.  The color had also changed.  Cherie the light, golden locks. 

  “The color of innocence,” Kibum said.

  Kevin looked in his direction.  A bright smile spread over his face.

  “Hyung!”

  Kibum laughed and sat on the other side of the bed.  Kevin quickly hugged the older boy.  Kibum returned the gesture.  Resting his chin on top of the blonde’s head, he gazed at Cherie.

  “Welcome to the dark side, Sweet one.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! Took me forever to writ this chapter. Glade I got it posted.  Please enjoy and comment and subcribe.  ^^  Oh! Also feel free to read my other stories as well.  It is always nice to have people read my works.