Chapter 3: After

A Typical Train Ride Mystery

 

             The next few days were tense for all of them. There were a lot of accusing glances and snooping around. Everyone was always looking at one another trying to figure out who killed Mr. Stephens.

             At night you could hear crawling and walking from door to door to find evidence on who killed Mr. Stephens. It’s been three night and people started to calm down, slowly. They began to talk more together, but he could sense the unease in their talks.

            Most of their talks consisted of small talk about the weather or the food. After they would either leave or make up an excuse.

            For Jaejoong, nights were the most hardest. He would be tossing and turning from nightmares. They consisted of vivid images of dead people at his feet. Some of the faces he recognized, but some of the faces were so marred that he couldn’t tell who it was. Then he would see a figure over Mr. Stephens’s body and the figure would look straight at him and grin with his knife raised as if to stab him too.

            He would wake up in cold sweat and lay awake for many hours. The ones that actually cared about him always gave him worried glances. He could tell he looked awful.

            Jaejoong’s clothes were disheveled and dirty. He had dark-circles under his eyes and his hair was messy because of the lack of gel to slick it back. His skin was pale as a ghost and his eyes gave off a distant far off look.

            Most of the time he was either walking aimlessly or looking out the window. The other just chose to ignore him in favor of doing their business. It was as if they forgot all about the murder and thought it was just some prank or lame joke.

            Jaejoong sadly could not. He knew what the killer wanted and that was blood. He would kill everyone in this train for his thirst. Jaejoong just didn’t care anymore though. He’s gone through this so many times that it just got annoying.

            He decided to stay in his room for the day. He had breakfast and lunch brought to him and laid down in his bed. From time to time he drifted off in to sleep, but he never really fell asleep. He just dreamt of a black darkness that surrounded him. It was somewhat comforting. The dark was nice and cool, its cool touch caressing him making him forget about his worries.

            He finally fell asleep around twelve o’clock at night and the dream was the scariest one yet. It was about his past.