Awkward first date

First cut is the deepest

“Ohh.. Sorry. It’s just that you look different.”

“Yeah. Well, a little bit?” he laughed.

“No. A LOT. And I mean A LOT.”


 

Both of you settled at the empty seats near the windows. You ordered Mocha Latte and he ordered Strawberry Milkshake topped with marshmallows. Freaking fluffy marshmallows! He may look 18, but his taste is surely of the 8-year-old boy. You giggled at the thought.
 

“Why are you giggling _____ -ah?”

“Ahh mwo? Nothing really,” you said panicking a bit.

“Is it because of what I ordered?” he smiled before continuing “I’ve  always like Strawberry milkshake, marshmallows; things like that y’know. You must think that I have a childish taste, right?”

“No no no. It’s normal. People can like whatever they want. It’s a democratic country you know.” you tried to play it cool by joking.

“You have a sense of humour, I see. That makes you more charming.” He said flashing his eyesmile again.

 

You felt like fainting at the sight. Did he really need to do that? You have a special weakness when it comes to eyesmile. Your close friends should know how crazy you were over Rain and his famous eyesmile. You were about to calm yourself down when you hear his voice.

 

“So, do you like it?”

“Like what? What do you mean?”

“Me. My style. It’s a bit different.. No, A LOT different than I was in school, right?” he emphasised the “a lot” since you kept saying it before.

“Well. To be honest;  yeah! I was taken aback when I see you like this. It’s not a bad thing though,” you said careful, not to offend him or anything.

You continued, “You look great. JJANG!” you said putting your thumbs up."

“I am very much flattered. Thanks!”

“But.. Do you REALLY like it? I mean personally. Does it fit your taste?” he asked again not confident at your previous answer.

“I like it.” You replied shyly.

“Pheww. Glad you like it. I was afraid you might not like it. To be honest, I dressed up quite a bit just for this date you know, “ he blushed.

 

You were flattered. And you feel happy knowing someone make efforts to look good for you. Not that you judge people based on their appearance. It’s just that the thought they put into it makes you feel happy and grateful. You look at Gikwang again. With his hair coloured brunette and his plump red lips makes him look very handsome. Or shall you say kinda pretty? Not to mention his eyesmile is far more evident without those thick big glasses he always wears at school. His choice of clothes is very much up-to-date but not too much. It’s just perfect!

 

“But Gikwang.. Is it okay to dye your hair like that? I mean the school is strict. They never let us wear accessories what more dye our hair,” you asked worried.

“Don’t worry. It’s a temporary dye. I can wash it when I shower,” he winked.

Your heart jumped a bit! But you can’t be off guard.

“Err there is such thing in this world? I thought they are all permanent.” You asked surprised at the discovery.

“What? You didn’t know?” he was more surprised that a girl did not know the existence of such product.

“I’m not very girly, you see.”

“I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry if that offended you. I’m so sorry. I mean..." he starts panicking. Worried that he might have hurt your feelings.

“ Relax. I’m not that sensitive,”  You tried to assure him.

“Are you sure? I’m sorry ___-ah.”

“I am okay. Come on! It’s a small matter. Don’t worry.”

 

He nodded, relieved at your assurance. When your drinks arrived you started chatting. Gikwang is a very interesting kid, so you did not feel the least bit bored talking to him. He talks a lot about music, if you must say. He seems very passionate about it. You like music too so you don’t mind talking about it. In fact you love it although you can’t sing or play any instrument to save your life! Talking about music suddenly reminds you of Sandeul. He is a great singer. He can convey emotions better than any other person you know. To top that, he plays piano very well.

And that brings you back in time…

 

“Noona, can you play the piano for me?” Sandeul asked pointing at the toy organ at the corner of the room.

“Of course I can. Do you want me to teach you?”

He nodded innocently. You played the ABC song along with Twinkle twinkle little star.

“Wow. ____ noona is the best! Teach me, teach me please!” he jumped excitedly after hearing your evidently-amateur-awkward sounding piano performance.

“Okay, but with one condition. You must let me eat the egg rolls in your lunchbox every recess. Arasso?”

“Deal!”

 

Suddenly…

“______. .._____-ah. You okay?” he waved his hand in front of you.

“Sorry, I kept on talking and talking. You must be bored,” he said scratching his head.

“No. I am the one daydreaming. I should apologise. Sorry. It’s my fault.”

“Ani. It’s okay. Let’s do something more exciting!”

“Where to?”

 

Gikwang went ahead before you got to finish you words. He settled the bill.

 

“Come on. Let’s go now!”

“I need to pay my share of the bill first. So how much was it?,” you tried to take the receipt before he avoid your hands.

“It’s okay. It’s my treat.”

“But I can’t accept that,”

“A man gotta pay on dates don’t you think? Especially the first one.”

“I don’t agree. Women are capable of paying too you know.”

“Come on _____-ah. I was trying to be manly here. Let me off just this once. You can pay next time, okay?” he pouted cutely at you.

 

You put your hands up, surrendered at this cute guy’ stubbornness.

 

“So where do you say we are going?”

“It’s a secret!” putting  his finger on the smiling plump lips of his; while his other hand motion you to follow him.