o n e s h o t

The Vow

___The Vow___

 

A slow breeze blew against his ear. The birds chirped on the window ledge. Something romantic played in the garden as guests filled up the seats. Baekhyun watched the people below mingled. He was on the tenth floor balcony, overlooking the garden where their vows will take place. It had been a tumultuous two years for him and his fiance, Chanyeol. Being a multi-million dollar superstar, it was even harder to have privacy. But somehow he'd manage to dodge the media and have a private wedding ceremony with close friends and families.

Many of his friends had dismissed about his love life, given his ice prince status. But somehow, after meeting Chanyeol that one fateful rainy day, it melted the ice that had surrounded his heart. He never could forget that meeting that brought them together till today.

On that day, Baekhyun had been lounging at Starbucks in a black hoodie, shades and jeans. Rain had started to pour just as he stepped out of the cafe. Kicking his shoe in frustration, he gritted his teeth as he thought of waiting for the rain to stop before he hit home was making him really grumpy. He didn't want to be spotted by any of his fans. He just wanted some alone time as Byun Baekhyun, the twenty-six year old Korean citizen.

"Need help?" A voice spoke from his left. Baekhyun turned to see a tall guy with hair the shade of auburn grinning at him, holding out an umbrella.

"It's raining and I didn't bring an umbrella along." Baekhyun told the stranger. He sighed. What are the odds that the stranger will share an umbrella with him? Nil.

"Where are you going, if you don't mind me asking? My apartment's just fifteen minutes away at District Ten."

"Oh, me too." Baekhyun grinned back. "I'm Byun Baekhyun."

The taller guy grinned as he stepped right up, hovering an umbrella over their heads. "I'm Park Chanyeol and I don't mind sharing."

And on that day on, they grew inseperable. They spent their free time together, watching movies or playing silly games like Pictionary. Although Chanyeol was busy as a newspaper photographer, he always made it a point to have dinner with Baekhyun wherever it may be. Baekhyun whom had known about his orientation since his high school days, couldn't bring himself to come out to the person he loved the most. He didn't want to lose Chanyeol. So, he'd kept mum about it until Chanyeol overheard his conversation with Kyungsoo.

"I think I should move somewhere faraway." Baekhyun gripped the arm of the sofa tightly.

"Why?" Kyungsoo said from the other line. "Are you running away?"

"I'm not running away. I just... I just can't bear it anymore. My heart is so full of him but I'm afraid." Baekhyun had begun to sob. The thought of never seeing Chanyeol was breaking him into pieces. He never knew loving someone could be so painful. Maybe that was why he'd avoided falling in love before all this.

"Baekhyun, listen to me. Running away doesn't solve anything. Don't be a fool like me. I lost Jongin because I didn't know what I was missing until I lost him. Just don't make the same mistake I did." Kyungsoo held back his sadness. "Just ask yourself, is he worth the risk of coming out?"

Baekhyun dropped to the floor, tears rolling down his cheeks. "I love him more than anything. Chanyeol is like the sun to my moon. I would do anything for him. Anything to keep that smile on his face."

"Than prove it." A deep voice said softly from behind him.

Baekhyun jerked back. "Ch-Chanyeol... I-I-I thought you were at work."

"I was, but I finished early today." Chanyeol pulled the boy up on his feet. "I heard everything. Why didn't you tell me? I was going crazy thinking about you."

"I thought you liked me as a friend?" Baekhyun buried his face into the Chanyeol's shirt. "You didn't tell me anything."

"So did you." Chanyeol patted the back of his head. "But when I asked you to move in with me, didn't it tell you something?"

"No." Baekhyun chuckled in between sobs.

"Baekhyun." The taller boy used one finger to tilt up his chin. "This may be crazy but," he dropped onto one knee, taking in Baekhyun's right hand in his. "will you marry me?"

Tears was his only answer. He jumped into Chanyeol's arm, while the latter spun him around. And like as cliche as it was, everything else was history.

"Are you ready?" Joonmyun's head popped into the room.

"I guess so." Baekhyun pushed away from the balcony and stared into his reflection through the mirror. Dark eyes stared back at him. His skin looked pale with a slight flush around his cheeks. Brown hair mused by the wind. Picking up a hairbrush, he combed his hair gently, noting the few strands that had fallen onto the dressing table.

"You look gorgeous, honey." A female voice spoke from behind.

"Mom!" Baekhyun hugged his mom, noting her thinner frame but she still looked beautiful in her white gown. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Of course, I can make it! It's my son's special day!" Mrs. Byun smiled, tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

Baekhyun took his mom's hands in his. "Thank you. This means so much to me." He stiffled a sob. "I wished dad was here."

Mrs. Byun hugged her son tightly, patting his back. "I'm sure your dad would be smiling in heaven."

 

___________________________

 

The nerves were killing him slowly. A grin was playing at his lips as he watched his husband-to-be walked down the spiral staircase in matching white suit. Byun Baekhyun was a sight to behold. Wide shoulders tapered to slim waist. Long dancer's legs taking one step down at a time with a slim older woman, whom he had know as the groom's mother, her hand on his left arm. She looked stunning in white beside her son. His heart swelled when Baekhyun looked right at him whilst the latter adjusted the black tie knot with his free hand.

Chanyeol gulped. This was it. His heart thundered. A hand tugged from his side. He looked to see Kris and his boyfriend Tao, smiling at him encouragingly.

"You'll be fine." Kris gave him the thumbs up. His best man. Always will be aside from his beloved partner.

"Thank you."

Soft murmurs and giggles sounded as the guest watched Baekhyun walked down the aisle, red carpeted and surrounded by a gardenful of flowers. Flashes clicked, capturing the once in a lifetime moment. Chanyeol itched to capture Baekhyun's charismatic presence in a negative to be treasured. It felt like hours before Baekhyun reached the altar where he stood. He held his lover's cold hands as the sounds drown out and all he could hear is the beating of his heart in his ear. The smile on Baekhyun's soft features made him grin. The man of my dreams.

"Do you Park Chanyeol take Byun Baekhyun as your husband?"

"I do." Chanyeol said, still staring into Baekhyun's beautiful face.

"Do you Byun Baekhyun take Park Chanyeol as your husband?"

"I do." Baekhyun bit his lip. His hands trembled in Chanyeol's grasp.

"Will you cherish and love each other till death do you apart?"

"We will cherish and love till death do us apart." Both grooms said.

"You may kiss."

"Wait." Kyungso held up his hand. "The rings."

A soft laughter echoed through as the grooms fumbled to get the rings on each other's ring finger. After few minutes of embarassment, they managed to get the rings on and now faced each other with blushing faces.

"Kiss!" A chorus of people laughing as they demanded the grooms to kiss.

Chanyeol cupped both cheek and took those lips that would be his forever.

 

___________________________

 

The reception was a success. They were congratulated by every guest who attended the ceremony. After the reception ended, the newly weds retreated to their suite while their best men took care of the wrap up. It was their wedding night and Baekhyun was so nervous. His heart was thumping hard and his stomach was flipping. Though they had made love before this, tonight was different. This time, their making love would mean so much more. So much more. Baekhyun sat by the dresser as he waited for Chanyeol to finish his business in the bathrrom. He took the opportunity to write on the hotel's notepad. A cough escaped from his covered mouth. And another. And another. The spasm was so painful it brought tears to his eyes. Blood stained his palms.

Not now, please. He begged silently to the higher being that was listening to him. The doctor had told him he'd be alright. Coughing blood would ruin their night. He didn't want Chanyeol to worry about him. Just as the door to the bathroom slid open, Baekhyun had wiped off traces of blood and threw them into the wastebasket. He hid the notepad in the drawer and smiled up into his lover.

"What are you up to?" Chanyeol kissed his forehead tenderly.

"Just getting ready."

"You're all mine forever." The taller man pulled him into his arms as the swayed to their king size bed. "No secrets between us."

Baekhyun brushed away the pang of hurt. He promised to tell Chanyeol somewhat later when he was ready. He just hoped Chanyeol wouldn't dump him. The only hope was time. Have mercy.

 

___________________________

 

He placed the camera back on the night stand and joined his husband on their bed. A small voice in head had urged him to snap a few shots of Baekhyun's glowing face and he did without thinking. One was married only once. Away from the public eyes, Baekhyun was just a shy man who has a gentle heart who demands to be loved and cherished.

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun murmured as he snuggled into his warmth. "would you love another if I died, hypothetically?"

Shocked, Chanyeol's head snapped up, looking at his lover closely. "Why are you asking such a depressing question at a time like this? I will grow old with you, and we will kiss on stage with your fans screaming in delight. I will make sure you live up to hundred or more. It will kill me if you go before me. You can't go, not when I just got you binded to me."

"It was just a thought." Baekhyun mumbled softly, not looking into his eyes. His watery gaze met Chanyeol's. "Please take care of me."

"I will, my love. And stop talking about dying. I love you, Baekhyun. Never will I love another the way I love you." Chanyeol brushed away the hair from Chanyeol's face. Their bodies warmed as they leaned for a kiss. Soft and gentle.

Baekhyun chose that time to wheeze. "Sorry."

"It's ok." Chanyeol smiled. "Let's get some sleep. You wore me out."

The smaller man in his arms giggled. His eyes glinted from reflection of the moon outside. But those feature soften and Chanyeol caught Baekhyun's glassy eyes.

"Shh, I've got you." Chanyeol wiped he tears off with the pad of his thumb. His heart did this uneasy flip as he stared into the brown orbs that had captured his heart and soul.

"I want you to know that I love you. I am so blessed to have you." Baekhyun touched his cheek. "I would rather die first, than to see you die."

"No more." Chanyeol hugged the warm body tightly. Crying into Baekhyun's hair. God, please give me strength. I love this man.

 

___________________________

 

The bars of sunlight greeted Chanyeol as his eyes adjusted to the morning sun. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. His husband was still asleep with a slight smile on his lips. Wonder what you're dreaming about, he thought. Propping his head on one hand against the pillow, he shook his partner.

"Baekhyun, wake up." Chanyeol shook again. The smaller man who had been sleeping on his side, dropped onto his back. The position seemed odd. A tinge of something nagged at the deepest part of his brain.

The hair at the back of his neck rose. "Baekhyun." He called out desperately, shaking the boy. No response. Chanyeol held the other man's wrist and felt for a pulse. None.

"Oh, god." Chanyeol prayed. His heart tightening at the mere thought. No, please no. He dropped his ear near the boy's mouth to hear if there was any breath. None.

"Baekhyun, wake up! " He shook the boy, frantically, growing desperate. Tears prickled at the corner of his eyes. He refused to believe what his brain had concluded. Running to the drawers, he looked for his mobile. In one of the drawers, he found his mobile and a notepad of scribblings and over words. It seemed like Baekhyun had written something but changed his mind.  With trembling fingers, he picked up the note.

Dear my love Chanyeol,

My lung cancer is catching up, so glad I found you before it takes me away.  I promised myself that I will tell you everything once I'm ready. I love you. Till death do us apart.

Love,

Baekhyun

His vision blurred. Tears bleed. "No, Baekhyun. Don't go! You have to wake up, please!" He dropped to his knees beside the lifeles body. "How could you leave me? Why?" Chanyeol sobbed into the matress, his head pounding with a headache. His heart shattered as he came to the realisation that Baekhyun's gone. Forever. 

"You promised to grow old together! You can't leave me alone, Baekhyun!" The tears kept streaming down as he buried his face into his love hair. "I can't live without you." He sobbed uncontrollably. After bawling for what seemed like forever,  he walked up towards the balcony. Peering down at the ground ten stories below, he thought he saw Baekhyun calling out to him. Just wait for me, my love.

 

___________________________

 

I don't know what you think but I was literally bawling my eyes out while writing this. Gosh, why did I write something so depressingly sad? Comments would be appreciated. Writing a short sad story is actually not that easy, I guess, coz you don't have the time to develop your characters like in novels. *sighs* I hope it's good...