Reality Sets In

Enticement

Sighing, I slowly sat down on the edge of my bed. My muscles contracted, as I breathed heavily, willing them to behave. I pushed the confusion and concern out of my mind, forcing myself to relax. Finally, my breathing evened out and my fangs retracted. I ran my tongue over them, disgusted when I tasted the dry blood lining my gums.

Opening the drawer, I grabbed the cotton balls and alcohol. Carefully and thoroughly, I cleaned the dirt and blood from under my fingernails. When that was done, I moved to observe the damage done to my arms. I slowly all of the cuts on my arms that my flexibility could allow. I exhaled as the skin mended itself. I rid myself of my shirt and removed the gauze from the drawer and wrapped my chest and back effectively as possible. Those cuts would have to heal on their own.

I slowly stood up from the comfort of my bed and meandered my way to my bathroom. I coated my toothbrush with as much toothpaste that would fit and, meticulously, began to brush each tooth. I extracted my fangs, paying close attention to them. After I cleaned my teeth atleast five times, I made my way to my small kitchenette. Searching for some water, I washed down the taste of toothpaste lingering in my mouth. Not that I needed it, my life force did not require water.

I am what humans would call a vampire.

And yes, to sustain my life, i required blood. I only fed about once a week, but a small amount never sufficed. I always finished my meals. Leaving crumbs was unacceptable.

My skill level was impressive, much higher than my other vampire counterparts.

I no longer needed to hunt, my prey came to me. On the nights I was the hungriest, I'd dress and leave the house. No cologne needed, my blood attracted humans like light attracted moths.

But I preferred the good looking ones. I could afford to be a little picky, if not a lot. I liked to treat it as a game. Sometimes I would go with the very first person I found interesting. But that within itself proved a little difficult, I rarely found a human even slightly interesting. They were all too much alike.

Other times I might wait until the tenth or fifteenth human approached me. What ever number was my favorite that night.

I found their reactions to be more than amusing. A sober human would act completely drunk, dragging their fingers across me, begging for my attention. The lust in their eyes impossible to miss. They were pathetic and rather gullible, I'd say.

Well usually they were, tonight's events happened a bit.....differently. I almost never remembered my meal. Their taste would disappear after the first brush. Their blood would fill my thirst, I would dispose of their body and then I would move on.

But I had not forgotten. No matter how long I bathed, I could still feel her touch. I could still feel her breath on my neck. The feeling of her fingernails as they dug into my skin. The way she pronounced my name, distinct and quietly. But most of all her taste. Her blood was definitely the most heavenly I had ever tasted. Salty, sweet, bitter, a perfect combination of the unknown. I even remembered the feel of her skin on my lips, on my hands. Everywhere our skin met burned with an intensity I refused to admit.

What scared me the most was the fact I left her alive.

It was completely clear to me that no other blood would ever be able to satisfy my thirst again. The thought scared me, no, horrified me.

Suddenly, my mother's words started to resurface in my mind. I only ever thought of it as a myth. Enticement. The bonding of a vampire to it's supposed 'soul mate'. A vampire spent the majority of it's life in search for said soul mate. It was nearly impossible for them to be successful. But there was a catch, bonding was not limited to only one race. A vampire could be bonded with other creatures....even humans. To be bonded with a human was shameful, a disgrace. Humans were considered beneath vampires.

But no, I couldn't possibly be under enticement.

Right?

I sighed, realizing the truth. I had been enticed by a mere human.