Remembering Sunday

Remembering Sunday (Summertime sequel)

 

He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes

Started making his way

 

 

 

“Jiyong are your things ready?” I heard my mother ask.

 

 

“Yes!” I checked my bag for anything missing, and when I made sure everything I need is in the bag I quickly went downstairs.

 

 

 

My mom was already outside with her bag. I locked the door and followed her. It’s been a year since my parents have separated. But surprisingly everything went well. I chose to stay with my mother, and my father didn’t object. He still gives us money for my studies and for our needs. Ironically, my parents talk more often with each other now that they live separately compared when they still live together. They decided to remain friends, which is good.

 

 

And it’s also a year since I met Dara. Whenever I remember her I can’t help but smile. This summer I’m going back to our vacation house with my mom. I can’t wait to make new memories with her. And this time I’ll make sure I’ll ask for her full name and where I could contact her. Just imagine how hard it was for me when we came back here in the city and I can’t talk to her. I have so many stories to tell her. Someday I’ll take her to the city with me and introduce her to my friends, I’m sure they’ll like her.

 

 

Leaning now into the breeze

Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees

 

 

It’s almost night time when we arrived at the province. I opened the car’s window and breathe in the clean air. There’s always this feeling you get whenever you go to provinces. It’s like life became simple again, no worrying about assignments and money, just pure relaxing.   

 

 

We went inside our vacation house and placed our bags in our rooms. My mom asked for my help to clean the house because now it looks like spiders have claimed this place. Cobwebs at every corner of the place, and thick dust covers the furniture, our house looks like a haunted house already. I grabbed some broom and started sweeping the floor. It’s too early anyway for my supposedly meeting with Dara.

 

 

And even though she doesn’t believe in love

He’s determined to call her bluff

 

 

After I helped my mother in cleaning the house, I took a bath and made sure I look good. This would be the first time Dara will be seeing me again after a year, I must impress her. Well I assumed that she has already read my confession in the letter, now all that’s needed is to personally confess to her.

 

 

I sat in front of our house again, waiting for the brunette with her bicycle to come. I clearly told her that I’ll come back this summer, so I think that she’ll go here. I wonder if she has changed. Did she grow taller? I do hope that she gained some weight. She’s too thin like she could easily break when I hold her. I bet that she’s prettier now. I miss looking at her brown eyes. I miss hearing her soft voice. I miss the feeling I get whenever she leans to me. Days before vacation starts, I keep dreaming of her. Sometimes we were goofing around in my dreams, but sometimes I also see us distant to each other, with her sad smile, she was waving at me.

 

 

Forgive me I’m trying to find my calling

I’m calling at night

I don’t mean to be a bother but have you seen this girl

She’s been running through my dreams

And it’s driving me crazy it seems

I’m gonna ask her to marry me

 

It was past our meeting time but Dara is still not here. Did she forget about me already? No, that’s impossible. Maybe she’s just busy. Or maybe her grandfather didn’t let her go out again. I heard my mom calling me already so I went inside my house, but not before glancing both ways checking for any sign of Dara.

 

~~~

 

Days have passed and I still haven’t seen Dara. I’m beginning to worry. Negative thoughts are filling my head again. Should I still wait for her or maybe I should start looking for her?

 

 

 

“Jiyong where are you going?”  

 

 

“Mom I’m just gonna take a walk outside.”

 

 

 

Now where should I start? I don’t have any clue where to look for her. I don’t have a single picture of her either. But I’m determined to find her no matter how hard it would be. If asking every single neighbor here is what it takes, then so be it, I’m willing to do that for Dara.

 

 

Oh I can see now

That all of these clouds are following me

In my desperate endeavor to find my whoever

Wherever she may be

   

 

I walked around the neighborhood and picked which house to ‘disturb’ first. On my way, I came across a lady carrying some grocery bags. I approached her and showed her my friendliest smile. She was a bit cautious of me but smiled at me as well.

 

 

 

“Hello, my name is Kwon Jiyong. Can I ask you a question?”

 

 

“Sure…”

 

 

“Do you know a girl named ‘Dara’? She passes by here often with her bicycle. She’s very thin and has brownish hair.”

 

 

The lady answered immediately, “I’m sorry I don’t think I’ve seen her before. I don’t go around the neighborhood often.”

 

 

“Ahh is that so? Well thank you for your time ma’am”

 

 

I was disappointed and continued my search. The sky’s getting darker. Signs of an incoming heavy rain are already visible. I just hope I could find her before it starts raining, or else I would have to postpone looking for her. And I don’t think I’d last another day without seeing her. Okay I know you might think I’m exaggerating, but hey, Dara had this kind of effect on me. Do you know the feeling that even though you just met someone, you could tell that that someone is really important in your life? That’s what I feel the very first time we talked to each other. 

 

 

I passed by some people and asked them also but no one seems to know who Dara is and where she lives. I stopped by some kids playing and tried my luck with them.

 

 

 

“Hey guys can I ask you a question?”

 

 

“Are you doing a survey oppa?” A cute little girl with chinky eyes asked me.

 

 

“No, I’m actually looking for a person. Her name is Dara, she lives in this neighborhood I guess. She has shoulder length hair and she has her bike with her everytime.”

 

 

“Ah!!! You mean Dara noona? The pretty noona?” a panda looking boy asked.

 

 

Yes! Finally someone knows her! “Yes, that’s probably her. Do you know where she lives?”

 

 

“Aigoo hyung I don’t know. Daesung hyung do you know where Dara noona lives?” he asked another boy.

 

 

“Sorry but I don’t know also.”

 

 

“Okay, but do you know her full name?” I asked again. The three shook their heads. I sighed and crouched in front of them. I thought I finally found her.

 

 

“We don’t see noona anymore. She once help baby Minji when she got hurt from playing around. And from then on, Dara noona would come to us and play for a while.” Daesung added.

 

 

 

Just as I thought, she’s really a nice person. I bid goodbye to the kids and left. Even though I’m still clueless on where to find her, at least now I know that ‘Dara’ does really exist and not just a figment of my crazy mind. I was beginning to doubt if she’s real.

 

 

I knocked on few more houses but the residence all said that they don’t know who ‘Dara’ is. The next house I went to has an elderly woman sitting on her rocking chair in the porch. I greeted her a good afternoon and thank God she isn’t a grumpy one.

 

 

“Good afternoon to you too, young man. Is there anything that you need?”

 

 

“I hope you don’t mind me disturbing you, but have you seen this girl?” I began to describe Dara. Like what I told the others before. I perfectly picture her in my mind, every feature of her face are still vivid in my memories. If I have the skills, I could have easily painted her.

 

 

The old woman thought for a while. “Ahhh I remember that girl.” I was happy, though I don’t want to have my hopes up like before. “She used to come here and have a little chat with me.”

 

 

“Dear who are you talking to?” an old man suddenly came out of the house. I assume that he is her husband.

 

 

“This boy is looking for Dara” she said as she held his hand. Funny, I can imagine me and Dara growing old together. Like these sweet couple in front of me, we will have a house of our own and spend our last breaths together.

 

 

“The sweet child? I wonder where she is now. She hasn’t visited for months already.”

 

 

“Excuse me sir, but by chance, do you know where she lives?”

 

 

“Yes, of course. I know his grandfather. Wait here.”

 

 

I wanted to jump out of joy. Run around the neighborhood and scream YES over and over again. If I could bear hug these old couple I would’ve done so because of too much happiness. I’ll see Dara again!

 

 

“Here’s some guide for you” he said as he handed me a piece of paper.

 

 

“Thank you very much! Thank you!” I bowed repeatedly.

 

 

“But just a little advice, you should watch what you’re going to say in front of his grandfather. He’s not a very friendly person.”

 

 

I nodded and headed my way. The guide on the paper was easy to follow, and add the excitement I’m feeling right now, I found Dara’s house in minutes! A small house, painted brown and adorned with some potted plants welcomed me. So this is where she lives. I wonder what it’s like inside, the exterior of the house looks kinda old. As what she said before, they were poor, so maybe they weren’t able to have some renovations.

 

 

Should I call her? Should I knock? But what if I come face to face with his grandfather? Based on her stories, her grandfather is really a scary man. I took a deep breath before I knocked on their gate since they don’t have any doorbells. I knocked a few more times before the front door finally opened and an old man came out.

 

 

“What is it?” his voice was firm and he had this stern look on his face.

 

 

I gulped hard before I say what I came here for, “Uhm I-I was just wondering if Dara is here…”

 

 

The old man groaned, his brows furrowed in annoyance. It seems like he really dreads hearing her name. “She’s not here.”

 

 

“But she lives here, right?”

 

 

“She lived here. She’s not here anymore.”

 

 

“What? Where is she?”

 

 

“I don’t know where that troublesome child is! Stop bothering me!” the old man slammed the door and didn’t show himself again.

 

 

I was confused. She’s gone. Where did she go? Did she runaway? But I told her to wait for me. I told her I’ll see her again. But she left? I felt droplets of rain hit my face and I ran back to my house before I’d be completely wet.

 

 

“You’re back. Here, a girl handed this letter earlier.”

 

 

“A girl?” I accepted the letter my mother was holding. It was enclosed in a pink envelope. At the back of the envelope, my name is written on the upper part while the sender’s name was written at the bottom. Sandara Park. Dara?!

 

 

I dashed outside the house despite the rain falling hard. I didn’t bother to take an umbrella with me. Dara could’ve send the letter and deliver it personally. That girl, how could she not show herself to me? She could’ve just talk personally to me and not leave a letter. She’s got lot of explaining to do for not greeting me and talking to me.

 

 

I finally saw someone walking ahead, an umbrella was covering her back which makes me not recognize whether she’s Dara or not. Nevertheless, I ran to her and hold her arm.

 

 

“Dara!” The smile on my face disappeared when the person turned around. She’s not Dara. A girl with red hair and doll like features is staring at me. “Sorry, I thought…”

 

 

“Are you Kwon Jiyong?”

 

 

“Huh? Yes, I am. How did you know…”

 

 

“I’m Park Bom, Dara’s best friend. I was the one who delivered the letter” she gave me a small smile.

 

 

I’m more confused now. Where is she? Why isn’t she showing herself to me? I have so many questions clouding my mind that I unconsciously frowned. Bom must’ve noticed it. “The letter will explain everything. Please don’t be mad at my friend.” Then she suddenly left.

 

 

Why would I be mad at her? I don’t even know what’s happening! I went back to my house, soaking wet and feeling cold as ever but I didn’t bother changing clothes. I locked myself in my room and read her letter.   

 

 

The neighbors said she moved away

Funny how it rained all day

 

 

Dear Jiyong,

 

 

You might be wondering where I am now. But before I explain, I want to apologize for not being able to see you before you left a year ago. My father showed up that night. He wanted to take me away from my grandfather. I didn’t know what to do. But I had no choice but to come with him. I had been longing for my father’s love, and I think that I’m going to feel it this time. I manage to comeback for my things and when I passed by your home, I saw your letter. And when I read, I began to cry because I know I won’t be able to see you again.

 

 

I decided to come with my father to Japan. Everything went too fast, I want to at least wait for you so that I could tell you personally but my father needed to leave already for his business. I’m sorry if I left you hanging. I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to say goodbye.

 

 

I miss you already Jiyong. I miss hearing your voice and I even miss the times you tease me. If ever we see each other again, tell me more stories, okay? And when you said you like me in the letter…I like you too Jiyong, or maybe more than ‘like’. I want to be with you again, to fully understand what I feel about you. But I guess fate’s not on our side for now. 10 years from now, I wonder what would happen to us. There are so many possible things that could happen. And sad to say, we might meet new people and eventually forget about each other, though I don’t want that to happen. I’ll just wait and see… but promise me Jiyong, whatever happens, you’ll treasure our friendship in your heart like how I do, please?

 

 

Park Sandara

 

 

 

As I finish reading the letter, I noticed my cheeks are wet again. I didn’t realize I was crying while I read every word that came from her. I would never forget her, how could I forget the person who comforted me at the time of my problems? She made me smile after I cried. And I could do nothing but promise her, I would never forget her.

 

 

I’ll look up to the day we’d see each other again, Dara. Like you, I will wait for that day to come. For now, I don’t have the reason to be here. But I hope next time I come here, I would see your beautiful face and your carefree smile. And you’ll be my only reason to come here every summer. Next time, maybe….  

 

 

Well I guess I’ll go home now

I guess I’ll go home

 

 


A/N: I apologize if this story lacks something. I hurriedly finish it since I want to post it before classes start again. Sorry ><