1

Treacherous

 

One advertisement paper was all it took to change Woo Hyunji's life. Not necessarily in a good way.

 

Looking for contestants to play for The House of Games. For questions, please refer to the number below.

If interested and has these qualities:

--18-25 years old.

--Is in good health.

--Can and is willing to live inside The House for at least 100 days.

Please go to CBH building, 3rd floor , entertainment section and look for Kim Eunbi for further information and audition dates.

 

Hyunji, 19, stares down at the thin sheet of paper that she found taped to her locker door earlier, she had meant to throw it away once she saw a trash bin along the way home, but during the long walk decided to take a glance at the paper, seeing many students from different schools holding the same advertisement paper and looking excited, chatting amongst each other.

House of Games.. Games. Hyunji pondered. If it's a game then there has to be a prize, right?

Curiousness of this particular game and it's prize is the reason why Hyunji crossed the street and waited for a bus that would lead her to the place stated in the paper. Living alone in an apartment and barely being able to support herself with a night shift in a convenience store, Hyunji was lured by a chance to have a change to her boring everyday cycle, and if she wins, maybe the prize is enough for college.

 

CBH is a fairly big company, it's one of the companies whose shows are rocketing high in terms of ratings. It's building is located within the center of Seoul, and with the night time traffic, it takes Hyunji some time to get there. She got down to the nearest bus stop and walked the few blocks to the building. Although Hyunji seldom travels to this part of Seoul, she knew she was at the right place when she saw a looming building with the letters CHB quite clearly if you look up high enough. She took a deep breath  and shivered at the cold, she was still in her school uniform, her thin cotton blouse was no match for the cold night breeze, she hurriedly made her way to the front doors of the building.

"ID?" The female guard inquired as soon as she stepped inside. Hyunji took off her school ID around her neck and handed it to the guard.

"I'm here to ask about this." Hyunji unfolded the piece of paper in her hand. Looking around, distracted, she thought this place would be busy with people and staff running around, but the whole floor seemed deserted.

"Another one, eh? First day the ad's posted and it's already swarming with kids here. I guess you're lucky you came late, if you came any earlier you would've encountered the big crowd. Well, darling you already know where you need to go but entertainment section's on the east wing if it's any help." The female guard drawled, sounding bored.

"Thank you, I'll be going now." Hyunji bowed and smiled. She started to walk away.

"Elevator to the left, by the way!" The guard hollered as Hyunji was halfway down the hall. She winced on how the guard could shout like that in somewhere so quiet. She turned around and bowed again.

 

She boarded the elevator and had just pushed the button with the number 2 on it when a hand slipped through the slowly closing doors, causing it to open again. She held her breath.

"Annyeong." She exhaled only to hold her breath again, the boy before her was exceptionally handsome.
"Annyeong." She managed to reply.

"Mind if I ride in with you?" The boy whose name was still unknown to Hyunji smiled.

"Eh? No. Not at all."

"Thanks." He slipped the rest of his body past the doors, he was wearing a casual t-shirt and jeans outfit with a black jacket, paired with converses. He was about to push a button, then he suddenly stopped, seeing the number 2 already lit up.

"I guess you're here for the House of Games, too?" He turned to Hyunji.

"Yeah." She sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck.

"Ah, sorry, I haven't introduced myself" He held his hand out "Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun."

"Woo Hyunji." She said, shaking hands with Baekhyun. This guy, he was nice, Hyunji thought someone with looks like him would be a jerk, like most of the boys in her school are, particularly her ex boyfriend.

 

The bell rang and they stepped out. Finally Hyunji was able to see staff running to and fro, ushering people, artists, she assumed, in and out of different rooms. A sign with the words 'ENTERTAINMENT SECTION' with an arrow pointing to where the busy side is. Hyunji and Baekhyun wordlessly walked towards the throng of people.

"Excuse me," Baekhyun managed to grab one of the staff's attention "We're looking for Kim Eunbi, do you know where could we find her?" The woman looked at Baekhyun from head to toe and then looked at Hyunji beside him.

Hyunji felt warm at Baekhyun using the word 'we'. He really was a nice guy.

"EUNBI!" the woman suddenly roared to her left. Hyunji flinched, what's with these people and shouting?

"No need to shout Jieun, what is it?" A beautiful woman, in her late twenties, Hyunji guessed, emerged from one of the cubicles.

"This couple here is looking for you, about the new show, I think."

Hyunji and Baekhyun both stared at the woman named Jieun and stammered incomprehensively before blurting out "Aniya, we're not a couple." and "No, he's not my boyfriend" simultaneously .

Jieun walked away as if she didn't hear anything.

 

"Sorry about that, she's really... moody sometimes." Kim Eunbi smiled at both teenagers. "Are you here for the House of Games?" Baekhyun and Hyunji could only nod.

"How about we talk about this in my office, I'm sure you have questions." Hyunji looked at the cubicle at Eunbi's back and wondered how she could call it an office, and if three people could fit in there.

Eunbi momentarily turned her back on them talked. "Soohyun, I need to go. Make sure you finish that script on time, we really need it next week." A gruff 'yes, of course' was heard from the cubicle. That's when Hyunji realized that Eunbi was probably one of the managers of this department.

Baekhyun looked at Hyunji and nudged her with his elbow. "Why so quiet?"

"This way." Eunbi said before Hyunji could reply.

"So, because it's late and I really have nothing to do, after your questions, we could have the audition right away, is that ok? So that  you two wouldn't have to come back." Eunbi said while walking down the hallway, her office was the last on the rows of closed doors.

"That would be great, ma'am." Baekhyun replied.

 

Eunbi turned around as soon as she reached her office door. "What are your names by the way?"

"Woo Hyunji." This time Hyunji beat Baekhyun to answering first.

"Hyunji. And you?" Eunbi looked at Baekhyun.

"Byun Baekhyun."

"Baekhyun, would you mind if I entertained the lady first? You could wait there."  Eunbi pointed to the bench opposite her door, smiling.

"Of course, I can wait." Baekhyun said, beaming. He looked at Hyunji and mouthed 'good luck' before turning around and walking towards the bench.

Hyunji walked behind Eunbi, taking in the scenery of her office, it looked pretty comfortable. Though Hyunji didn't see a desk most offices would have. Instead, there was a couch and chairs with different designs around a coffee table.

"Have a seat, Hyunji" Eunbi pulled out a piece of paper and a pen from one of the coffee table's drawers. Hyunji sat down on the couch, beside Eunbi.

"Please fill this up first, just basic information about you." Hyunji took the piece of paper and the pen and scanned the form.

"Arasseo, this would take a minute, though." Hyunji smiled.

"It's ok, take your time." With that, Hyunji quickly set to work. She finished a minute and a half later.

"Here. I'm done." Hyunji held the form and the pen out to Eunbi. Eunbi took it and looked at the form.

"Woo Hyunji, 19, fourth year high school, working student..." Eunbi quietly murmured to herself while looking at Hyunji's form. "Hmm, ok. So, lets proceed to your questions." Eunbi put the form down.

Their exchange of questions and answers lasted for half an hour.

"What is all about? The House of Games, I mean. What are we supposed to do if we're chosen as contestants?"

"Basically, we're going to chose 20 contestants and make them live in the house together for 100 days, with no connection to the outside world whatsoever, the contestants would have to do certain 'tasks' assigned to them throughout the that time period. The house will be equipped with cameras that will be recording the housemate's activities and it will be broadcasted on TV, the tasks are different for every person. Those tasks are what will make the life in the house exciting, thus the 'House of Games' but no one but the housemates assigned to the task could know about the task they're currently working on." Eunbi explained. Hyunji let it sink in before asking the her other question.

"And the prize for this is?"

"10 million won for the grand winner, 5 million for the second placer and 3 million for the  third."

"Oh." Hyunji envisioned life inside the house, why not? She had nothing to lose, anyway. "Thank you, that's all I have to ask. Can we proceed to the audition right now?"

Eunbi yawned. "Hyunji, are you interested in joining?"

Hyunji looked at her in puzzlement and nodded. "Yes, I am."

Eunbi straightened up "You're in. Don't tell anyone. You have exactly 10 days before we call you in along with the other contestants-to-be, call me if you ever change your mind. Here. I'm feeling lazy today, and I never really found anyone this day I saw suit for possible contestants except for you and that other boy.." Eunbi gave her call card to Hyunji and stood up, making Hyunji stand up, too.

"Thank you." Hyunji bowed. That was fast, she never thought it would be this easy, maybe it's her lucky day.  She smiled up at Eunbi.

"Can you go tell that friend of yours it's his turn now on your way out? Thanks." Eunbi said, busy with arranging a stack of papers and putting Hyunji's form in a folder labelled 'contestants'

Hyunji nodded and walked out of the office.

 

Baekhyun was sitting lazily at the bench, both earphones on, looking out the glass window that stood in place of a wall, presenting a  view of Seoul, he didn't notice Hyunji approaching him. He was startled when someone poked his shoulder.

"Oh. My turn?" Baekhyun turned to Hyunji, nodded.

"I got a spot!" Hyunji ecstatically said. "You too." She added with an air of conspiracy. Baekhyun beamed widely he strode towards the door but then remembered something and looked back at Hyunji. She raised her eyebrows in inquiry.

"Hyunji? Would you mind waiting for me? It's already late, I don't want you going home all by yourself."

Hyunji smiled and nodded. She watched Baekhyun disappear through the door.

 

Just minutes later, Baekhyun emerged through the door, smiling brightly.

"Let's go?" Hyunji stood up and walked towards the elevators, with Baekhyun following behind.

 

"You're awfully quiet. Are you always like this?" Baekhyun stared at Hyunji's distorted reflection on the elevator doors.

"Ah, ne. I don't really have anyone to talk to. But even before I lived alone, I was quiet around people I don't know much."

"You better start talking around me. I'm one of the people you'll be with for a hundred days. We could be allies." Baekhyun chuckled.

"Allies?" Hyunji didn't remember Eunbi talk about allies or such.

"Eunbi noona said that there would be two teams for occasional challenges against each other, like games, I suppose."

"What if we're on separate teams?"

The elevator doors opened, revealing the ever deserted first floor.

Baekhyun shrugged "I wouldn't go against you. There's a big chance that you'll be the only one that I know there before the show."

"Right." Hyunji rolled her eyes.

"So, friends?" Baekhyun turned to her and beamed. He held out his hand for Hyunji to shake.

"What are you, 6?" Hyunji shook his hand and smiled, nevertheless.

 

They approached the female guard and retrieved their IDs. Once they walked out of the front door, Hyunji was reminded of her clothing dilemma once again, and it's much colder than before.

She didn't make it obvious that she was freezing, though. She didn't want Baekhyun to lend his jacket to her, he needed that , too. She'll survive without one, anyway.

"So Hyunji, where do you live?" Baekhyun led the way to the nearest bus stop.

"Pretty far, actually." She didn't want Baekhyun to accompany her home, too. Ever since, she has this feeling that she's a nuisance to people, that's why she never talked much and minded her own business. Baekhyun was nice though, but she didn't want to bother him any more.

"Suburban Seoul?"

"Uhm, yeah."

"I live near that area, too." Baekhyun laughed. Hyunji looked at her phone clock, it was already 8PM, buses are scarce this late at night. She thanked the heavens that a bus stopped in front of them just five minutes later. She was freezing. They took a seat at the back part, Baekhyun beside the window.

 

"Mind if I ask why do you live alone? I mean, are your parents somewhere far or something?" Hyunji's mind went blank for a while at Baekhyun's question. No one knew about her parents. People in her school never hung around her long enough to know her back story. She pulled herself together and began to answer his question.

"Well... My mom... I don't really know where she is. All I know is that she took my little brother with her when my dad and she separated..."

"Your dad?"

"He... Died." She saw Baekhyun stiffened in he corner of her eyes. Here goes the apology.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to. I... I'm really sorry." Baekhyun really didn't know what to say, he felt awful making Hyunji uncomfortable. Hyunji seemed like a fragile girl but what she just said proved otherwise. Choosing to live by herself and support her own schooling, Baekhyun could only imagine the hardships Hyunji has to face. He knew it was wrong but he just had to ask one more question.

"How did he.... You know?"

Baekhyun noticed Hyunji fell silent. Inside Hyunji's own head, she was trying to decide what to say.

"Accident. Car accident. About 4 years ago." Hyunji finally said. She hoped she didn't take too long to answer. "How about you?" She desperately tried to change the topic.

"Me?"

"Do you live alone or...?"

"Yeah, I live alone too. I'm a studying music at a college near where I live." Baekhyun said with a sigh.

"Your parents?" Hyunji inquired. Asking back the questions Baekhyun asked. It was only fair, she thought.

"Technically, I have no parents supporting me right now. You see, I rebelled against them and ran away because they were forcing me to take engineering when they knew I would like to study music. I think they disowned me once they knew that I was gone." Baekhyun explained.

"Oh." It was all Hyunji could think of saying. Baekhyun didn't mind striking up a new conversation, he was scared he might touch a sensitive topic again.

 

Soon enough, Baekhyun was nearing his destination. He pondered if he could accompany Hyunji home and take another bus home but he didn't think he had enough money left.

"Hey, let's exchange numbers. Text me when you get home so I know you got home safely." Baekhyun suddenly said which made Hyunji jump in her seat.

"Yah can you stop--nevermind." Hyunji pulled out her phone and handed it to Baekhyun. She took Baekhyun's phone and punched he number.

"Here." Baekhyun handed her phone back. "What were you saying awhile ago? About me stopping what?"

"Nothing. I don't have anyone to constantly talk to, remember? I just get startled when you suddenly talk out of nowhere."

Baekhyun leaned in. His face level with Hyunji's

"It's all about to change." He whispered with a false hoarse voice and an air of conspiracy, eyes big.

Hyunji stared back, unfazed.

"Yes... I can see that, too." She whispered back.

They both laughed after that. Hyunji felt good  laughing with someone she could call a friend. She would let her guard down a little around this boy, she decided.

"My stop's near. Here, take this." Hyunji was surprised when a piece of black cloth was shoved to her face. Turns out it was Baekhyun's jacket.

"Thanks but I don't need it." She tried to push it away.

"Excuse me, but who are you fooling? It's cold. And I need a reason to meet with you another time." Baekhyun winked, trying to be suave for fun. He knew he failed when Hyunji started to fake choking.

"Yah, just take it." Baekhyun acted cute this time.

"Alright, alright. Wipe that pout out  of you face, will you?" Hyunji laughed. She took the jacket and looked straight front again. She was distracted by the feeling that someone was watching her. She turned to her right to be greeted by Baekhyun staring intensely at her.

"What"

"... Why aren't you wearing it"

"Aish. This boy." Hyunji shook her head and put the jacket on. She looked at Baekhyun and saw him smiling with victory, looking straight ahead. She blew a raspberry at him.

 

The bus rolled to a stop not a minute later.

"Bye Hyunji. Text me when you get home, okay?"

"Ne. I will. Bye." Hyunji smiled up at him.

She watched him get off the bus. She watched him walk away through the window, hands in his jeans pocket. She made a new friend. Friends were rare to her. But she doesn't think Baekhyun would leave her alone. The last one she had drifted away from her before she even knew her whole story, her past. They all did.  They all left her alone. And to think that they only knew part of it, and it wasn't even the most horrible part that they knew. It's only a matter of time before she would find out if Baekhyun would be just like them. She knew better than to get attached. But part of her would want to lie to keep Baekhyun around, it was tempting, she lied to many people about this before, she wouldn't want to betray Baekhyun's trust but that one voice in her mind makes it tempting than ever. You wouldn't have to say anything, keep him in the dark, lie if he asks any questions.

 Her ride home alone was uneventful and quiet.

Once she got home and texted Baekhyun as she promised, she dropped unceremoniously to the bed and fell sound asleep.

 

 

 

_____________________

Mian, my mom took my computer for days >.< anyway, here's 1st chap, about 3,000 words :P

I know this chapter is boring, bear with me for a while. :B

Comment and subscribe!! <3