Chapter 2

Tattoo

"It's coming back now." Myungsoo stated, leaning on the window frame. He had changed his clothes into a simple white shirt and denim jeans. He looked at dark sky. The moon wasn't visible and it was too dark outside. It was past midnight and the streets are already empty. The street lights weren't enough to light the streets. It was fine though, given that people rarely take this route.

Woohyun silently nodded. He sat on his chair holding a cup of coffee. They were waiting for the others to arrive. Besides, after what's happened, he wouldn't even be able to sleep.

"Woo's not going to be pleased," He grabbed a chair across Woohyun. "He's gonna do it all over again."

Woohyun knew he was right. Woo's cruel ways to get what he wants. They can't stand in his way, he's their father. He has been their father ever since. But do what all over again?

 

Jini stared at the ceiling for what seemed like eternity now. She couldn't get some sleep. If only Woo was here, maybe he could do something about the pain she had just felt.

For the past ten years, she stopped thinking about her parents. Woo told her they abandoned her in front of his door because they were afraid of her eyes. She was six then, they said. Six. She thought. She was six when they left her in front of Woo's door. She was supposed to remember that. She was supposed to know. She's old enough to remember that but why can't she remember anything about her parents? Why can't she remember getting her tattoo? Why can't she remember having red eyes? It doesn't make sense.

Just then, Sungyeol came in barging in her room, a worried look in his face. She sat up and faced him.

"You told me--"

"I did."

"But what--"

"I don't know."

He let out a sigh and gathered her in his arms. He was like a brother to her.

"Are you feeling well now?" he asked, rubbing her back. Jini rested her head against his chest and tried to listen to his frantic heartbeats. He was running. She thought to herself.

"Yeol, can I ask you something?"

"What?" he looked down at her. She didn't meet his eyes though.

"Why do I have this tattoo?"

"Honestly?" This surprised her. Weren't they telling her the truth?

She nodded.

"It's something that symbolizes your true self." he left it at that. She could feel he wanted to add more but decided against it.

"What do you mean?"

"You'll know. Pretty soon."

"So how did the investigation go?" she pulled away from him.

"Our weapon dealer, Mr. Cho, got ambushed. His car and apartment got trashed. His family was threatened and..." he trailed off, "You should get some sleep."

"And what?"

"Sleep. Woo's coming back soon." he shut the door closed. She could hear his footsteps reverberating through the silent night.

 

It was morning. Everyone was gathered in the dining hall.This time, Woo's present. They were sitting in their usual seats and Woo's sitting on the other end of the table.

They had already eaten their breakfasts. Empty plates lay in front of each of them except for Jini. She didn't quite finish her meal. She wasn't hungry, she reasoned out.

"Report, Sunggyu." Woo's deep voice boomed through the room.

"Mr. Cho was ambushed on the way home right after the delivery of our weapons. Apparently, his apartment was trashed and his car was set on fire. His family said they were threatened by three young men. They wanted to know who Mr. Cho was working for. They were also looking for--"

"Yes, yes." Woo cut him off. Everyone was surprised by how tensed he is. He then looked at Jini and saw her rubbing her temples. "What's wrong?"

"My head's aching again. It's manageable this time. Please," she urged him to continue the meeting. "Go on."

"Who were they looking for?" Myungsoo asked holding a brandished silver knife. It was shiny, obviously new. Not bloodstained, unlike his other ones.

Sungyeol glanced at Jini and Myungsoo followed his gaze. They were looking for her.  But why?

"Jini, you're gonna have your first mission tonight." Woo broke the silence of the room. Jini looked up and nodded. She waited for how many years for her first mission. Woo told her when she reached her sixteen, she would finally be able to go. Finally.

"You, Myungsoo and Sungyeol will go to a party held by Kim Sujin. They will have a weapons auction tonight. There's one particular thing I want you to get, a bullet. Kill your target, get the bullet and get back here," he looked at Jini and said, "Unscratched."

She nodded. She was finally an assasin. Not a member of Infinite though, they were all brothers and there was something in them that she just couldn't get her self into. She unconsciously touched her tattoo. True self, huh. She thought to herself.

She wondered what Sungyeol said. She was hollow inside, she knew that very well. She wasn't exactly sure why though. It felt like as if she's always searching and searching but her search always ends up in vain. It was pointless. The very core of her being started to form when she met Woo. It was just that. Nothing else. So why does she feel like there's more?

Is it about her parents? But he said they abandoned her. Is it about her past? Yes, definitely. But what past? The ten years she spent inside this mansion along with Infinite? No. Her life before she was abandoned and hated by her parents. She was six then, she should know what happened. She should be perfectly aware why. She should not be told second hand news. She wasn't a baby when she was left in front of this house. But why now? Why only think about it now?

She clutched her chest. It's because of the hollowness. The emptiness of this.

On top of that, her bloody eyes. It was like a million dollar question, why does she have them? She was sure to get some answers this time. Now that she could leave the mansion. She would find her parents.

"I need that bullet. Now go and prepare. Hoya will assist you in your plan. Sunggyu, look after them." Woo left the room.

Woohyun clenched his fist, he wasn't part of the mission. Woo perfectly knew how capable he is instead of Jini. He was putting her in danger. He didn't even consider the random headache she was going through. Correction, random horrible headache.

"Well, let's just see what happens." Hoya stood up and left the room, taking the words right out of Woohyun's mouth.