Chapter 1

Tattoo

She stood in front of the mirror and stares at the figure that looms in front of her. This is me. She told herself. She tucked a stray lock of hair beneath her ear and took a deep breath. She looked at herself one more time.

Red hair that falls just past her shoulders. Dark roots are already visible, it's been a long time since she dyed her hair red. It wasn't that fiery anymore. Pale skin, soft lips, high cheekbones. She wanted to say she's beautiful, she would even settle for the word normal but then she sees her eyes. Her eyes-- almost the same color as her hair. Dark red.

There was more. The little black star tattoo just beneath the end of her left eye. She couldn't remember having that tattoo. When she woke up, it was there and they told her she got that when she was very young. She traces a finger on it, feeling it.

She closes her eyes and take another deep breath.

"What is it?" she asks stoically, not opening her eyes yet.

"They're waiting for you." a deep voice answers with the same tone. Woohyun silently walks out of her room and closes her door. She could feel him waiting for her outside her door.

She takes a moment to clear her head and stares back at her reflection one last time. Who are you? she silently asks and walks out of the room.

 

They walk in the dark hallway together. Side by side. No words exhanged. They have been like that ever since. It wasn't awkward, they were over that phase already. Both knew they couldn't do anything about it and so they stopped minding the awkwardness and soon the air between them wasn't much dense like the first time. It was comforting to be with Woohyun, it fills the emptiness inside of her. She feels as though he's always been a part of her, unlike the others. She won't let them know, of course. It was stupid. Woohyun and Jini never talked much. There wasn't anything special about them but she somehow feels there's a connection between them. She felt hollow, she had always felt hollow.

They reached the dining room. In the middle of the room, there's a long mahogany table that can hold at least 15 people. Six chairs were at the side and the other. One at the end and another at the other end. Sunggyu sat in his usual place, the head seat. Beside him was Myungsoo and Hoya. Dongwoo and Sungjong sat with Hoya's side. Sungyeol with Myungsoo.

Woohyun pulled a seat beside Sungyeol. Jini sat beside him.

"Woo's not here. He's meeting with someone." Sunggyu broke the silence. The chandelier held a steady light and everyone's face is stoic, no life. Woo is their mentor. He trained them and molded them to the person they are now. They weren't given much choice, not that they don't want their way of living, they just wondered how their life would turn out if they weren't a member of Infinite.

"Jini, have you taken your medicine?" Sungyeol shifts his gaze to Jini, a concerned look painted on his face.

She nods and looks away. She was sixteen now, she doesn't need to be told to do things like that. Her medicine-- taken by her twice a day-- is a blue liquid in a small bottle. Woo wouldn't tell her what it is, saying she should just be thankful. She let it go, he was a hard nut to crack. There wasn't any point arguing. She's been taking that medicine for almost 10 years now and prior to that she couldn't remember anything.

Could not remember anything. Could not remember what her tattoo was about.

Myungsoo sighs and stands up. He glances at Jini and says, "Woo told me to train you later after you get some rest." He drops his gaze and walks out.

"We're gonna do some investigation regarding the murder of our weapons dealer tonight. Hoya, Sungjong and Dongwoo are coming. Woohyun?"

"I'm staying." he nonchalantly said.

"Fine. Help Myungsoo train Jini. Don't go out of the house. Sungyeol, come with us." Sunggyu stood up and left immediately, clearly disappointed. Woohyun's his right hand man.

Sungyeol stood up and walked towards Jini. He ruffles her hair and kisses the top of her head. Jini holds his right hand and gave it a light squeeze. She let go and watch them go out of the room.

Woohyun and her are left. It was odd. There was definitely something missing. She glances at Woohyun and silently asks him why he stayed but he just shrugged and also left her.

She sat there for a moment, thinking what is wrong with everyone. Myungsoo training her, Woohyun not going with Sunggyu. Sungyeol asking about her medicine. Hoya, not even minding her. It was odd. She knew there was something off.

Right before she leaves, she choked and whimpered. Then a blinding, stunning pain exploded behind her eyes. She couldn't speak, couldn't think, couldn't do a thing. Her hands clutched her head to try to keep the pain from splitting her skull. The only coherent thought she could process was, Help. Let it stop. Stop! 

No more tears, Jini. She willed herself not to cry. She couldn't keep herself together any longer and she screamed.

Her scream filled the whole house. It was lone and empty thus making her scream ten times louder. Her thoughts were drowned by her screams. She didn't know why she's even screaming, as if it would lessen the pain.

Then she could feel arms around her. They were strong against her. Arms that were trying to comfort her. She stopped screaming. Beads of sweat had formed on her forehead and she was breathing hard. She looked up and saw Woohyun looking far. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She rested her face against his chest and began calming herself down.

"Where's L?" she softly asked, still her eyes are closed.

"Getting your medicine. You told Sungyeol you drank it."

"I did."

She looks at him and saw how worried he's been. She could feel his chest heaving and she tried to listen to his heartbeat. It was fast and she was right. She had worried him.

"Woohyun... how-" she breathed heavily and tried to sit up, "How long has it been since I met you?"

He just shrugged.

"Woohyun--" Just then, Myungsoo came running holding the tiny bottle with a small amount of liquid in it. He handed it to her and she drank it, this is already her third.

"Woo's gonna kill you." Myungsoo told her nonchalantly. "Rest. I'm not gonna train you tonight."

He touched her star tattoo and left.

What is happening? She asked herself before trying to stand up. Glancing back at Woohyun, she saw he's completely dropped that topic and no matter what she does, it's clearly over now. She rubbed her temples and started to walk to her room. Woohyun looked after her disappearing back. It's coming. He told himself.