Chapter 3

Tattoo

"Wow." Sungyeol mouthed as he stared at the red-haired girl in front of him.

"Yeah." Jini agreed, looking down at her dress. It was a strapless, ardent red dress that accentuated her thin waist and perfectly hugged her figure. The redness of the dress made her pale skin so white and it matched her red hair... and eyes. She frowned a bit, it was cold outside and the dress was very revealing.

"Here," Woohyun handed her a black coat, avoiding her gaze, "Be careful."

"Oh, I almost forgot," Sungyeol reached into his pocket, pulling out a white container, "Woo told me to give this to you. You know... to hide your... your eyes."

She opened the container. Contacts, of course. She thought. And black.

"Where's L?" she asked after blinking away the tears forming in her eye.

"Here," Myungsoo wore a black, sharp-looking and well-fitted suit. Exactly the kind of thing she would pick for him to wear at such a high-class event like this. Him and his black hair.  She smiled.

"Don't you think it's a little unfair that you guys get to wear exquisite clothes and I get to wear spy stuff?" Sungyeol grumbled.

Myungsoo and Jini rode in a flashy, midnight blue bmw to complete their act while Yeol picked a black car that blended well in the shadows. Myungsoo took Jini's hand and guided her inside the car. It was probably 9 pm, given that Sungyeol was knocking impatiently at her door, they were running late. Yeol had already gone ahead of them to set up his equipments.

She looked at the car window, Woohyun was still outside, waiting for them to go. He had a slightly disapproving look ever since Woo announced she would go with L and Sungyeol. He's probably worried. She thought. The car window is darkly tinted and she was sure Woohyun couldn't see her but for a brief moment, their eyes met and unconsciously, she smiled.

Just then, Myungsoo started the engine and sped off after Sungyeol.

"Just stay close to me. You'll be alright." L nonchalantly said, giving her a light pat on her hand. He opened his door and went outside. She took a deep breath. Do look confident. Hoya told her. L opened the door and offered his hand. She took it and gave him the sweetest smile she could muster. She knew people were looking at them. She had to get her act right. L was slightly surprised at what she did. She doesn't really smile a lot and she just smiled... at him. He gave her a teasing smirk and gave her a kiss on the forehead. They had to act like a sweet couple afterall.

L handed the valet his keys. Jini hooked her arm through L and together, they entered. It was going to be a long night.

 

They had to wait for the auction to start. The people gathered were indeed the rich and famous so they perfectly knew how heavy the security is. They just had to trust Sungyeol to get them out safely.

"L, do you know what my tattoo means?" Jini asked, seeming bored. She glanced at her glass, it was almost empty.

"Everyone knows what your tattoo means."

"Can you tell me about it?" A waited passed by her and she put her glass on his tray and looked directly at Myungsoo's eyes.

"No." He said, looking away.

"Sungyeol said it's who I really am. What does that mean?" she held L's hand and lightly caressed it.

"It's who you are," he said, "Why ask about your tattoo now? It's been 10 years since you got it." He pulled his hand and traced a finger over her tattoo.

"Because I can't remember the first time I got it." she frowned.

"You'll find out soon. For now, let's focus on our act, okay?" He touched her lips and dropped his hand looking at the stage. They were already starting.

 

"Going once, twice... sold!" The announcer beamed at the crowd. It was a very intense auction and Jini didn't even know why people wanted the bullet so bad. The bid has gone up to millions already and she had lost track of the amount. The only thing they were focused on was the guy standing at the side, holding a wine glass with a girl beside him.

It was perfect. The man in his thirties, as reckoned by Jini, is standing near the window. The window where Sungyeol had set up his stuff. Just one shot and it will be mission complete but Woo wanted them to lay low. Be unscathed. So they had to do it the hard way.

"L, he's going to get the bullet upstairs. Personally. Is it really that important?" Jini asked after seeing the man walking upstairs, two guards behind him. The bullet was just simple. Deadly, yes. But why is everyone so hyped up about it?

"Sungyeol, we're already on the second floor. Third room on the left." Myungsoo muttered on his transmitter, his eyes silently following the man. The wide room wasn't that much crowded anymore, only a few remained to chat with one another. The other people are making their way out quickly.

Myungsoo and Jini started moving towards the second floor. No one minded them, everyone was busy chatting and the other staff already started to clean the tables. Isn't there some sort of after party? She thought.

The man was already inside the room and his bodyguards are outside, each on the side of the door. The silence upstairs is eerie, the chatting crowd's noise downstairs was drowned by silence and it was definitely odd. It was as though no one is welcome upstairs.

They passed by the guards, sizing them up. Two minutes, she smirked inwardly. Hardly. They reached the corner and looked at each other. Their looks quietly saying, "Are you ready?" She nods and removes her heels.

One, two and three.

Jini ran to the guy closest to her. She kicked him in the shin and grabbed his head. She brought up her knee to meet the guard's chin and the guy was knocked out. She did a double take when the other guard grappled her shoulder. L suddenly appeared behind the guard and twisted his head to a bad angle. Dead, undoubtedly.

She breathed heavily, staring at the two bodies lying on the floor. Did they just... killed them? Was it just that? It was odd for her- knowing it's her first, but she was trained to kill. Her eyes says so. Woo says so. Her way of living says so. Every aching part of her was made to kill. But why is it that she felt something wrong? Maybe because it's her first, but she knew it was more than that. Just for a mere bullet. She should get use to this. She must.

L looked at her direction, seeing her hurt someone, it doesn't suit her. He knew she wasn't made to do this. He perfectly knew. Everyone's aware of it. This life isn't hers and she doesn't even know about it. It's different now- very different.

"You know we can't leave survivors. Kill the other one." His tone was indifferent. A mission is a mission. They must accept this life graciously given to them by Woo.

Jini pulled out a knife, the ones L keep, and clutched the handle tightly. Without showing any hesitation, she plunged the knife deep into the guard's chest. She pulled it out and wiped the blade on the guard's clothes.

"We should hurry before they figured out their security system's been jammed." L said, pulling out a gun.

He kicked the door open and the man- the target ducked and put his hands up. Seeing the gun, the target crouched slightly in his seat and a look of fright painted on his face. The other man who was holding a silver case stood frozen looking at the L's gun.

"Hand it over," L pointed the gun at the man who was holding the case, "Now."

Reluctanly, the man handed L the case with trembling fingers and put his hands behind his head. Without a pause, L pulled the trigger and the bullet hit the man on the head. The man dropped on the floor with his mouth hanging open and Jini couldn't do anything but stare. She looked at L's back. He's a completely different guy when he's on a mission. She thought soundlessly.

The target pulled out a phone and Jini ran towards him, seizing the phone and throwing it on the floor. She pressed the knife on his neck. Just when she's about to drift the blade across his neck, he asked hoarsely, "How did you get that tattoo?"

The man stared at her tattoo, apprehension aside, he touched it softly. Jini faltered, this man might know about her tattoo. She tightly grasped the knife on her hand and the man froze.

"What do you know about it?" she demanded, gritting her teeth.

"We have to go. Kill him now." L commanded, walking towards her.

"No," she protested, "What do you know about it?" she pressed the knife and blood streamed out.

"Those tattoos can only be used by mafia leaders," he said shaking under her, "Why do you have it? And you're a girl..." he asked as if he got entranced by something nostalgic.

"I-I don't know..." she loosened her grip on the handle.

"Jini-"

"Jini?" the man asked, clearly surprised. "You're name is Jini? Choi Jini?" L pointed the gun at him, about to pull the trigger when Jini replied, "How do you know me?"

"I used to work in your father's business. He was looking for you. Your mother-"

Bang.

L shot him. He walked over Jini and pulled her by the arm.

"Let go of me! Why did you shoot him?! He knows my family!" she struggled against his hold. He looked nonchalant, as if nothing happened.

"We are your family. Why would you believe him? Do you even know his name?" He looked directly in her eyes, tears were forming on the corner of Jini's eyes but she willed them not to fall.

She let him drag her to the lobby. They went out just as casual as they went in. As if they didn't kill anyone. As if they didn't steal anything.

"Why didn't you let him finish? He was my only chance..." her voice trailed off, faltering. She felt vulnerable. She was about to know more of her family. Her life before she was turned in Woo's house. Her past- her missing past.

"I told you, you'll know soon." L said.