Chapter 01

Happily Never After: Inexplicable

Take note of the dates people. Enjoy!


 

Date, 08/06/2012,

The door opened with a thud. A guy in his twenties, dressed in baggy, sloppy clothes. Slight tan, broad shoulders, his long fringe were covering till his eyes however, he doesn’t seemed bother about it. He staggered into the house and slammed the door after that. Swaying to the sides, he looked like a drunken man although only to find it unusual that he didn’t drink at all.
 
However he was indeed drunk – love drunk.
 
Yamapi leaned back against the couch and ran his hands through his tousled hair; when was the last time since he last cut it? He didn’t notice but the fact that it already grew so long. And it also has been such a long time since she passed away. Without warning, the sound of her laughter rang in his head followed by the calling of his name. He groaned softly. It had been a wonderful dream and yet a nightmare too. Not being able to feel, touch or even see her but to only hear was cruel.
 
He shrugged off the feeling and groaned as he clutches his loose white shirt. The headache, it’s coming back again. He sighed and slowly made his way to the bathroom to freshen up.
 
How long can he keep it up this way?
---
 
At the other end of the country Japan, Tokyo. The breeze tangled her long silky hair to the side of her face; she brushed it away and smiled. A lady stood right in front of the entrance of the airport. Dressed in just shirt and jeans, with a sweater over her body she dragged her luggage out with her and waited in line for the cab.
 
As she breathed in the fresh air in the atmosphere, she caught sight of kids running around playfully, couples, elderlies and even families making their way in and out of the place.
 
She grinned and let out a soft whisper, “I’m back,”
---
 
Back at Yamapi’s house, he changed into a new set of clothes before leaving the house. He doesn’t want to meet her in such a sloppy way, at least. Closing the door with a thud, he didn’t even bother to lock it and then, he made his way down to the streets slowly.
 
Right at that moment, Ryo with a lady walking beside each other, made their way swiftly towards Yamapi’s house. 
 
They knocked the door as soon as they reached at the doorstep but there was silence. They waited for a while before knocking once again but still, there was only silence surrounding them. Then, Ryo turned the door knob and the door was opened. They frowned slightly however within a second, realization then hit the both of them.
 
“Pi!” he yelled and barged into his house, but there was no one inside but only stillness.
 
He sighed loudly and banged his fist against the wall, manifesting his anger on it.
 
“Ryo,” the lady walked into the house and tried to calm him down.
 
“Niki,” Ryo called her name and sighed. “He’s gone missing again, Jesus Christ!”
 
This time, Niki sighed as she settled herself down onto the couch. She took out her phone from her pocket, flipped open her and dialed his number.
 
“You don’t have to do that. You know he won’t pick up his phone.”
 
He took a seat beside her and rested her head against the couch.
 
“Better than not trying,” she smile back at him.
 
At the same time, Yamapi had bought a bouquet of flowers by the side road from a flower stall. That’s when his phone rang. Nevertheless, he ignored it after seeing the caller id. He hauled a taxi and got in it.
 
---
 
After getting out from the cab, Maki dragged her luggage and glanced around the surrounding buildings. It’s been three years since she had been here and it had already changed so much. She clutched a piece of paper on her the other hand and looked at it, frowning.
 
“Building #09 Tokyo streets…” she muttered, beads of perspiration began to form on her forehead.
 
She wiped it off with the back of her hands and sighed. Silly. She should have asked the taxi driver of directions just now. She started roaming around the streets with her luggage dragging it around, looking for the building.
 
“Ah, excuse me sir~ Do you know where the building #09 Tokyo street is?” she asked a person leaning against a near-by wall, smoking.
 
Fortunately, the person nodded his head and began telling her the directions. She bowed and thanked the person before making her way to the building. Maki smiled at the thought of meeting her family. As soon as she reached the building, it was a modern looking house on the outside. She breathed in deeply before knocking on the door softly. An old couple came walking out of the house.
 
“Ohaiyo gozaimasu,” She smiled. “I’m here to look for Yamada Mira-san.”
 
At the mention of their own daughter’s name, the old couple was immediately taken aback.
 
---
 
At the same time, Yamapi strolled along Tokyo, Sumida River with a bouquet of sunflowers in his hands. Sunflower, her favorites. Placing the sunflowers at a corner, he then laid flat on the field of grasses before him.
 
Yamapi!
 
Instantly, he groaned in pain once again; the headache. Stop thinking about her, she is already dead. There’s nothing you could do to bring her back anymore. He buried his face in his hands and cried. He doesn’t know how many times he cried since she passed away but he just could not stop his tears. All he could think of was only her, he couldn’t refrain himself from crying.
 
“Mira…” he whispered, so softly that he could only hear himself.
---
 
Maki placed down her cup of tea on the table and smiled. Looking around the cozy house she’s in, pictures, painting were hung on the wall and framed, being placed on tables too. The house was neat and clean, pots of plants and flowers could be found in the corners of the house too.   
 
The old couple settled themselves in their seat and looked at the person sitting before them. They furrowed their eyebrows and wondered. Could she be that lady?
 
“Hajimemae,” Maki bowed slightly, even though she was sitting. “I’m Horikita Maki.”
 
The name rings a bell. The old woman frowned at once.
 
---
Date: 07/05/2009
 
Her husband looked at her, silently.
 
“Are you sure about this?” she kept her silence too.
 
Clutching the paper tightly in her hands, she wept silently. She shook her head as if disagreeing but yet, her body and actions betray her. This time, she let out loud sobs of crying and slammed the paper on the desk. She couldn’t bring herself to sign it. Not now. Not ever. Nevertheless, her husband took her place. He removed the pen from his wife’s hands slowly and sighed as he stared at the piece of paper right before him. With the pen in his old, fragile-wrinkled hands, he moved slowly towards the paper.
 
She looked up and noticed what he was doing. She shook her head and bit her lips hard. No! She pushed her husband away and snatched the paper that was being placed on the desk, away.
 
“Give me the paper,” this time, her husband spoke. His voice was hard and cold.
 
She shook her head, her mind saying no. “Give it to me,”
 
Still, she kept her silence, unwillingly to move.
 
“Don’t do this Yoshida,” her husband whispered.
 
He moved slowly to her. She was tired. He was also tired. They are all tired, tired of all this.
 
“Just grant this last wish for Mira,” he said it.
 
He finally said it. She dropped down onto the floor as if all of her strength had suddenly left her. The paper slides down to the floor effortlessly. Her husband picked it up. She shut her eyes tightly. With shaky hands, he signed it.
 
On the top middle page of the paper itself, it states: Heart Transplant Form.
 
---
Date, 08/06/2012,
 
“Mm…” Maki mumbled as soon she saw the old couple’s expression.
 
“Did I say something wrong?” she pouts a little, worried.
 
The old woman looked at her and smiled slightly. “It’s alright, go on.”
 
“Well,” Maki stared at the both of them and heaved a sigh.
 
“I’m here to look for Yamada Mira-San. I heard from my mum she saved my life so I’m here to personally thank her.” She smiled.
 
The couple knew it. No wonder her name sounds so familiar. Without warning, tears brimmed in the old woman’s eyes. She sighed and looked at her husband. Both knowing exactly what should they do. The old woman took Mai’s hands in hers and smiled gently at her.
 
“Thank you my child, Mira would be very happy to know that you are doing well.”
 
“Eh, but where is she then?” she glanced around the house but couldn’t see anyone else.
 
Maki really wanted to personally thank her. It was one of the real main reasons why she was back here too.  
 
“Mm, she’s out of country now and won’t be coming back for a period of time.” The old woman glanced at her husband while he nodded slightly, signaling towards her.
 
“Oh…” Maki trailed off and sighed in disappointment. “I won’t get to see her then. I really wanted to thank her.”  
 
The old woman bit her lips in misery, refraining herself from crying out loud. Not long, she sobbed silently with her husband gently comforting beside her. Maki was taken aback by the old woman, she tried to calm her down and thinking that it was because she had said something wrong that’s why the old woman cried and she kept apologizing.
 
The old woman shook her head and smiled gently at her, “Mira would be extremely glad to know that you came.”
 
---
 
It was getting late. Yamapi got up and brushed away the dirt on his pants. Placing the bouquet of flowers right before a pillar near the Sumida River, he smiled weakly before making his way to somewhere else. The place which he would always paid a visit to them after visiting her and the place which he would always visit even though she is no longer here.
 
At the exact same time, Maki stood by the door side and bowed towards the old couple.
 
“I’ll see you next time then!” she smiled.
 
She waved towards them and began making her way back. She was walking down, passing by the Sumida River when she looked up at the blue wide sky that now turned red-yellow and she noticed something; the sunset! She smiled as she closed her eyes, enjoying every feeling and sensation of the breeze. 
 
At that moment, Yamapi walked passed by. Out of the sudden, he felt a tingling sensation running down his spine. He stopped abruptly in his tracks. He looked straight ahead but could see no one. As he turned his head back, he spotted this lady. Shoulder length hair, colored in milky chocolate brown wearing just a shirt and jeans on her. She has a luggage sitting beside her.
 
Immediately, he felt a general melancholy, a great sense of sensation overwhelmed him where he felt specifically connected to this person but he couldn’t understand why. He tried to shrug off the feeling but then he felt a sharp pain coming from the end of his head once again.  
 
---
Date, 28/03/2009,
 
“Why do you always do that?” Yamapi asked her as he embraced her from behind, wrapping his hands around her waist as they stared at the wide blue sky together.
 
“Do what?”
 
He laughed. “The way you look at the sky above you. It seems as though time had stopped.”
 
Mira laughed back, hands spreading out widely. “Isn’t it nice, the feeling of the breeze?”
 
He smiled and pinched her cheeks. She giggled as she rested her head against his chest.
 
---
Date, 08/06/2012,
 
The howling wind went through the trees without end causing the skin on his neck to prickle. It interrupted his thoughts. He turned back fully this time, staring straight at the lady who was now in front of him.
 
The way she looked at the sky above her, her pair of bright eyes gazing straight at the red-yellow sky above her and her lips then curled into a smile.
 
His heart pounded hard.
 
“Isn’t it nice, the feeling of the breeze?” Maki began, her hands spread out widely as if she could catch wind.
 
Now, his heart pounded fast.
 
Maki cringed when she realized what she was doing. She pouted and looked around hoping no one had caught her talking to herself. It would be an embarrassing situation.
 
At the same time, Yamapi tried to shrug off the feeling he was feeling but he couldn’t. Why does this girl remind him so much about her?