Prologue

Happily Never After: Inexplicable
Date, 28/03/2009,
 
They were by the beach. A lady dressed in pale blue floral dress rested her head against her man’s shoulder. She has dark silky black hair which touches till the sides of her shoulder. She exhaled a sigh and the taste of salted sea water mixed with the breeze of fresh air overwhelmed her. It was like as if time had stood still for the both of them, in silence.
 
Mira looked at the person sitting right beside her and at once, her lips curled into a smile. The person, who sat beside her, has broad shoulders and lean body. In addition, he has well defined jaws which complements with his intense brown eyes and sharp nose. As soon as Yamaa saw her smiling, he grinned back immediately. As Mira buried herself in his embrace, she closed her eyes.
 
His scent, his touches were all still here. But sooner or later, it will be all gone. Without warning, tears cascaded down to her cheeks when she thought of that. Yamaa’s shirt suddenly felt a bit of dampness. He looked up, she was crying.
 
“Shh,” he pressed his lips against hers and embraced her tightly, her hair.
 
“Promise me one thing,” she wiped away the tear with the back of her hand but it still keeps falling uncontrollably.
 
“If I was about to die and on that day, it happens that my heart can save someone’s.”
 
“No,” he cuts her off abruptly not even letting her to finish her sentence.
 
“You’re not going to die.” He stared at her. But, those dark brown mesmerizing eyes, after today she no longer could see it anymore.
 
She looked away and bit her lips. Refraining herself from crying, she forced herself and let out a weak smile towards Yamaa. He smiled back and kissed her lightly on the lips. And that was his last time ever seeing her smile again.
 
 
Date, 08/05/2009,
 
It was close to midnight. Everyone should be tucked deep in their bed asleep soundly. However, in Camber hospital, in a white small room of four walls, it was chaos. People were running around in it, wearing mask, white uniform, and covering themselves all up till the head and trying to save this only girl who was dying right in front of them.
 
“Come on, come on!” someone yelled.
 
Her breathing was labored. She was fighting for air. In addition, blood was oozing out swiftly from her body.
 
“Too much blood is being lost Doctor Lee, we need to hurry.” One of the helpers exclaimed.
 
Everyone was in a hurry. Every one of them was anxious. They were not allowed to stop even for a mere second. On the other hand, at the other end of the same hospital, another group of doctors were also trying their best to save another lady who was dying in front of them.
 
“Doctor Tan! She stopped breathing, her heart-.” One of the doctors cried but was being stopped abruptly by Doctor Tan where he pushed him away quickly and with his bloody hands, he touched the side of her neck to feel her pulse.
 
“Quick, try to retrieve her!” Doctor Tan yelled and a group of doctors started surrounding the lady who was lying still on the bed, unconscious.
 
---
 
Outside of the small white room, an old couple stood there waiting anxiously in silence with Yamaa and Ryo beside them.
 
“She’s not going to make it,” Ryo began as he mumbled softly and looked away but realized that he should have just shut up instead.
 
Without warning, a gasp escaped from the old woman as soon as she heard that, and then followed by the sound of cries while her husband started comforting her softly by her side. 
 
“Shut up. She will.” Yamaa said. His voice was hard and cold.
 
Ryo shrugged and kept his silence looking at the other way. There was a long silence until Doctor Lee came walking out bathed in sweat. Everyone rushed towards him immediately and looked at him.
 
“How is she?” the old woman asked, her voice was so soft.
 
Doctor Lee sighed and shook his head in silence. Immediately, the old lady burst into tears and sank down onto the ground, full of agony while her husband crumbled too, weeping silently with her.
 
“How is she?!” Yamaa asked once again.
 
He didn’t want to lose hope yet. After all, Doctor Lee didn’t say anything but just sighs. 
 
“She’s dead, Pi, she’s dead.” Ryo placed his hands on Yamaa’s shoulder but was quickly being pushed away by him.
 
“I’m asking Doctor Lee,” he glared and spat at Ryo before turning back to Doctor Lee in front of him. “How is she Doctor Lee?”
 
“Pi, stop it.”
 
Without warning, Doctor Lee was pinned against a nearby wall and was being grabbed by the collar of his shirt. Yamaa glared at Doctor Lee and kept his silence, waiting for his reply.
 
---
 
On the other hand, Doctor Tan came walking out from the room alone from the other side. Swiftly, a middle age lady went up to him with concerned eyes. She clutched her hands, preparing for the worst. 
 
“Her condition is stable right now but she still needs to be kept in the hospital for observations.” He explained wiping the sweats off his forehead.
 
“Oh my god, thank you,” She exhaled a relief and reiterated her thanks, bowing down towards the doctor in happiness as a form of appreciation.
 
He smiled and left her alone. This time, the lady finally collapsed down onto the floor in fatigue. She can finally have a good night sleep tonight. She bit her lips to refrain herself from crying even more oh, the tears of joy, finally! Her daughter was saved!
 
“Maki…” she trailed off in a whispered, hands clasped together as if thanking god for his help. She smiled wider.
 
---
 
“I’m sorry,” Doctor Lee began, the only words that Yamaa could not rework into anything but what they signified.
 
He loosens his grip on him but still eyes fixed on him, he kept his silence.
 
“She’s dead.” This time, Doctor Lee whispered.
 
Without warning, Yamaa released him instantly and crumbled down to the cold hard floor. He laughed sadistically at first but then it turned into sound of screams and cries. His body folding itself, until his head was so deeply buried beneath his shaking arms that he could not hear what Doctor Lee or even Ryo was saying.