Chapter 02

Happily Never After: Inexplicable
Sorry this took so long! Remember to look at the dates people! 
 

 

Date, 08/06/2012,
 
Without warning, Yamapi approached her and grabbed her by her wrist. The overwhelming sensation is coming back again; the feeling of being connected to this particular person that he never ever met before. He stared at her and kept his silence. It was like déjà vu. Maki winced in pain and tried to struggle free. She pulled back a little but his grip was still on her. She looked back at him and frowned slightly.
 
“Excuse me?” she asked and at that moment, he released his grip and apologized immediately.
 
She backed a few steps back. “Do I know you?” She looked at him, her voice trembled a little sounding afraid.
 
“Do you?” Yamapi questioned her back.
 
Maki frowned even more at the question. She tilted her head and bit her lips, not knowing what to say.
 
“Well…” she trailed off and scanned him. “I don’t think I’ve met you before though.”
 
He smirked at her answer. He then turned his body and left. Maki pouted a little staring at the weird guy leaving before she turned back to face the sight of the wide open sea and sky before her. She smiled.
 
“If only Mira-san was here,” she thought however, not knowing that she had spoken out loud.
 
“Mm, I’m wondering if mum is seeing this too-.”
 
Right before she could even finished her sentence, she was being hauled forward once again and there stood Yamapi in front of her, frowning.
 
“What did you say?”
 
“Huh?” she asked back. This time, she was getting a bit irritated.
 
“You,” He paused and stared at her. “You know Mira?”
 
“Huh?” she repeated.
 
Yamapi sighed and regretted it as soon as he let those words slipped out from his mouth. How could a stranger he had just met out of nowhere possibly know his dead girlfriend that had passed away three years ago? He shook his head and released her. He was about to leave when she suddenly spoke.
 
“Mm, Yamada Mira?”
 
Yamapi turned back and looked at Maki
 
“You know her!” she exclaimed and grinned in delight.
 
“You,” she paused as if searching for the right word to say. “Are you her friend? Or her boyfriend?”  
 
He furrowed his eyebrow and stared at her, in silence.  
 
“Do you know when she will be back? I want to thank her.” Maki asked, like a little child asking his or her parents for sweets, innocently.
 
“Don’t you know?” Yamapi stared at her his expression was hard and cold. “She passed away three years ago.”
 
The curled on Maki’s lips vanish at that very moment as she stood rooted to the ground.
 
---
Date: 17/05/2008
 
“Ne, look at this!” Mira cried, pulling Yamapi towards her.
 
Her face pressed against the shopping center window display and where she stared longingly at a long white wedding dress in front of her.
 
“Isn’t this lovely?” she asked Yamapi, pulling her face slightly away from it for a sec then quickly staring back at it.
 
Yamapi laughed but kept his silence. Holding his hands in hers, she pulled her away slightly, signaling it’s time to go. However, Mira didn’t budge. Still, staring at that piece of beaded lace wedding dress, she sighed.
 
“Do you think I’ve a chance to wear this?” she whispered to herself but Yamapi managed to catch that.
 
Wrapping his hands around her waist, hugging her from behind, he smiled. “Why wouldn’t you?”
 
Mira bit her lips and kept her silence. A moment later, she turned around and stared at Yamapi, intensely. Breathing in deeply, she sighed once again contemplating what to say.
 
“I…” she trailed off.
 
Looking at Yamapi’s smiling face it’s making her even harder than before.
 
“What’s wrong?”
 
“Yamaa,” she called his name then paused. Yamapi frowned. She never called him by his last name ever since they were dating. It was always nicknames.
 
Without warning, palpable tears could be seen at the brim of her eyes. Mira bit her lips refraining herself from crying. She didn’t want to break down. Not now, not in front of all these people. And most importantly, not in front of him.  
 
“Mira,” Yamapi bent down a little, matching her height. “What’s wrong?”
 
Suddenly, Mira’s hands were wrapped around Yamapi’s neck, pulling him forward and to a hug. Burying her face on his neck, she shut her eyes closed.
 
“I’m dying soon.”
 
---
Date, 08/06/2012,
 
“What?” Yamapi stared at her, with a slight smirk on his face. “Loss for words?”
 
He sniggered. He didn’t know when it was the last time he was actually nice to someone. Perhaps after that death of Mira, he couldn’t be happy anymore. The word, ‘happiness’ no longer existed.
 
“I…” Maki trailed off, speechless. “I-I didn’t know that.”
 
Her head then hung low, as if ashamed of doing something wrong or being scolded. Yamapi rolled his eyes. Not even taking a second glance at her, his shoulder hit hers, when he walked passed her.
 
“I’m sorry…” she whispered softly, a tear dripped onto the ground.
 
Yamapi was supposed to leave. She has nothing to do with him, just a mere stranger that had known Mira. Maybe she’s one of Mira long lost friend. He wasn’t supposed to turn back but something made him stopped in his tracks.
 
“Shut up.” Those words escaped swiftly from his mouth right before he could stop it.
 
“Stop acting as if you was there when she was dead!” this time, he turned back and yelled towards her.
 
More tears started dripping onto the floor. Maki looked up. A sharp sensation stabbed Yamapi’s heart. Why? He walked towards her without warning, and grabbed her by the shoulders, she yelped, startled by his sudden actions.
 
“WHO ARE YOU?” he bellowed, anger boiling in him. Why was there such a feeling lingering inside of him whenever he looked at her?
 
Her lips trembled, afraid. “I-I…”
 
He glared at her, waiting for her reply. Seconds later, he released her and she collapsed down onto the ground abruptly.
 
“Don’t let me see you ever again.” His eyes met hers, full of hatred.
 
Yamapi walked away. He was not in the right mood to visit them. He took a cab back home. Nevertheless, a tear cascaded down his cheeks once he was in the cab. Scanning the high rise building of Tokyo, he shut his eyes tight.
 
“I-I’m Maki.” Maki spoke, her voice shivering. “H-Horikita Maki…”  
 
---
Date, 08/05/2009,
 
After what seemed endless crying, Yamapi got up and staggered aimlessly through the corridors of the hospital. With red puffy eyes, his hunched back and messy hair, he looked like a walking corpse. Ryo came running after him.
 
“Pi!” he yelled. “Where are you going?”
 
Yamapi kept his silence and walked until he spotted Mira’s parents.
 
“Yes, the other girl was saved by Mira’s heart.” Doctor Lee said, explaining to the both of them, to Mira’s parents.
 
Girl? What girl? What about Mira’s heart?
 
“What did you said?” Yamapi questioned Doctor Lee, launching forward interrupting them.
 
Taken aback, Doctor Lee kept his silence and glanced over to both Mira’s parent. They shook their head slightly, signaling him not to tell.
 
Then, Yamapi grabbed Doctor Lee by the shoulder and glared at him. “What. Did. You. Said.” He paused at every word, his voice sounded hard and cold.
 
“Pi, stop it!” Ryo cried, trying to free him but to no use.
 
Yamapi glanced over to Mira’s parents they bit their lips not knowing what to say.
 
“Yamaa-kun, stop it.” Mrs. Yamada sighed and revealed a piece of paper towards him.
 
Swiftly, he released Doctor Lee and grabbed the piece of paper from Mrs. Yamada. Seconds later, Yamapi was fuming.
 
“WHAT IS THIS!?”
 
Mrs. Yamada sighed while tears stung her eyes. “It’s Mira last wish.”
 
He took another glance at the paper where it stated: Heart Transplant Form and stared at Doctor Lee.
 
“Who’s that girl?”
 
“You know I can’t-.” Yamapi cuts him off by a glare but Doctor Lee still stayed silence.
 
“Horikita Maki,” Mrs. Yamada suddenly said, interrupting the both of them.
 
“The lady that Mira gave her heart to is Horikita Maki.”
 
---
Date, 08/06/2012,
 
Yamapi came out of his bathroom and with a set of fresh clothes he collapsed immediately onto his bed.
 
He sighed as he glanced towards his desk. A photo, framed in a white frame, and with red and pink love, hearts stickers pasted on it, showed a beautiful lady smiling in delight and staring towards the camera. Immediately, he turned to the other side of his bed and forced himself to sleep, attempting not to think about her anymore.
 
---
 
Maki stumbled into her apartment and closed the door behind.
 
In a dazed, she collapsed down onto the couch in front of her. Yamada Mira is dead? She doesn’t really know why but as soon as those words escaped Yamapi’s mouth, a piercing pain stabbed through her chest.
 
Why?
 
She doesn’t even know Yamada Mira but, the fact that she saved her life. Was it enough to make her feel this way? Enough to make her feel devastated about her death?
 
Maki shut her eyes tightly and tried hard not to think of that. She breathed in deeply and tried to calm herself down. Nevertheless, tears started b in her pair of eyes. Why? A tear escaped down to her cheeks. Wiping away with the tip of her fingers, she shrugged off the feeling and sank down onto the bed.
 
Tomorrow she would paid a visit to Yamada-san again and find out the truth.
 
---
Date, 09/06/2012,
 
Morning,
 
Sitting down onto his bed thinking about yesterday incident, Yamapi got pissed off. He breathed in deeply and tried to suppress his rising irritation. He flipped open his phone and took at his miscalls and messages. Nothing important.
 
He washed himself up, changed and got ready to leave. As soon as he walked towards the bus stop, a bus, numbered 72 arrived. He hopped on it.
 
---
 
Maki washed up, got dressed and smiled feeling pleased with herself as she a look into the mirror. Looking at the map in her hands, she found out that a bus, number 72, travelled to the place that she had been yesterday. Smiling, she took a seat and waited for the bus at the bus stop.
 
With a basket of fruits in her hands, she felt the wind brushing against her hair and soft skin. She giggled softly at the windy pleasure and waited silently.
 
Few minutes later, two exact bus with the same number arrived. Maki chose the second one.
 
The first bus with the same number, 72 went off first. As soon as the first bus passed by the second, Yamapi who was sitting along the window seat passed Maki who was boarding the bus at the same time. However, the both of them didn’t know.  
 
---
 
Yamapi’s bus was the first to arrive.
 
Few minutes later, the bell of the apartment rang. Mrs. Yamada strolled towards the door and opened it slowly, welcoming Yamapi inside of the house. They settled themselves comfortably at their seats.
 
“Tea or coffee?”
 
“The usual mum,” Mrs. Yamada smiled weakly. “It’s better if you try something new.”
 
She said quietly as if hinting something but Yamapi just kept his silence. Mr. Yamada switched on the television however, made sure that the volume doesn’t disturb them. Placing the cup of coffee down on the coffee table, they kept their silence but each of them knew exactly what the other party was thinking about.
 
---
 
Maki took a last glance towards the wide blue sky before smiling. She was about to knock on the door when she saw the door slightly opened. Furrowing her eyebrow, she made her way in.
 
“Excuse me,” said Maki softly and immediately smiled when she spotted Mrs. Yamada side view.
 
“Oba-Ch.” she stopped abruptly when she saw Yamapi inside.
 
The scary guy from yesterday, she realized. She shivered at the thought of it and kept quiet, afraid that he would flare up upon seeing her. Not knowing that Maki was in the house, they started speaking. Noting the tension in between them.
 
“You were the one,”
 
“Yes,” Mrs. Yamada cuts Yamapi off with a cold reply, knowing exactly what he was asking.
 
Siding the girl that killed her daughter was very unusual but at the very moment upon seeing Maki, she can’t help but, feeling a twinge of sensation towards her. The feeling as if she was looking at her very own daughter, Mira.
 
“Mum,” Yamapi spoke. “Why did you do that?”
 
“Do what?” she questioned back, stating the obvious.
 
Mr. Yamada sighed, annoyed by the both of them. “Yamaa-kun, just stop it.”
 
“Dad!” Yamapi frowned.
 
He was shocked and speechless. Why were they siding her? That lady that killed their daughter and, that killed his beloved?
 
“SHE was the one that took away your family happiness!” his voice grew louder after every minute and his anger was boiling.
 
“SHE was the one who took away my happiness!”   
 
Yamapi couldn’t understand why they were helping her; an unknown stranger that causes the demise of her own blooded daughter.
 
From the corner of her eyes, Maki bit her lips. She didn’t fully understand what they were talking about but she could vaguely tell that it’s something to do with Mira or maybe even herself.
 
“That Horikita lady caused Mira’s death!” He yelled once again causing Maki to jump a little, at the side of the wall.
 
A lump formed in Maki’s throat very quickly.
 
“Yamaa-kun, it had already been three years.” Mrs. Yamada whispered and sighed. “Just let it go.”
 
“No.”
 
“Mira wouldn’t want to see you like this.” Silence.
 
“Maki-Chan is a nice lady,”
 
“Jesus! Of course she is! She took your daughter’s heart for goodness sake!” he hollered.
 
BAM. The sound of someone gasping loudly followed by the sound something, dropped. Everyone’s eyes travelled to the sound of the direction and Maki stood before them, stunned and speechless. With the basket of fruit dropped, the fruits were all scattered on the floor.
 
“S-Sorry,” she said softly, she cursed letting her voice shook.
 
Instantly, she quickly picked up the fruits and with tears, followed, dropping on to the cold, hard floor. Maki bit her lips, hard, trying not to make a sound or cry even more. Quickly, Mrs. Yamada went up and helped her. Seconds later, Maki forced a smile on her face and passed the basket of fruits to Mrs. Yamada.
 
“S-Sorry.” She tried to say but what came out was a whisper.
 
With that, she left the scene swiftly not bothering to answer Mrs. Yamada yells.
 
---
 
It was raining.
 
Maki roamed aimlessly along the streets in the midst of the torrent rain, drenched from head to toe. She was quavering from the coldness that the howling wind had gave her but she didn’t bothered. All she could only think of was Mira. She had cruelly took away someone’s life to replace hers and unknowingly, shattering a family and snatching away someone’s happiness.
 
She was the bane of everything that had happened today. Without knowing, she felt her strength ebbing away as she sank down onto the ground.
 
“I-I shouldn’t have live.”
 
Tears cascaded down her cheeks quietly. She felt passer-by stares and whispered but she didn’t care nor didn’t she answer them when they asked if she was alright. All she did was to wrap her arms with her body as she began to shake uncontrollably trying hard not to make a sound, but failed to.
 
---
 
“You must have hurt her badly.” Mrs. Yamada said as Yamapi wore his outer jacket, preparing to leave.
 
“I don’t care.”
 
He sighed as he felt their stares at the back of him. Opening his umbrella, he went out of the door.  
 
“I’m leaving; I won’t be coming back next week due to my schedule.”