Always Be Mine

Always Be Mine

 

It's seven o'clock when the alarm buzzes and wakes Jongin up. Half awake, he shuts it off and heads to the windows to let the sunshine brightens up his room. He goes straight to shower, grabs a couple of additional shirts into his bag, makes sure if he has locked the door, and leaves.

College is just another torture for Jongin. Nobody can doubt his passion for dancing, but, hell, he could feel his bones are this close from breaking. With the amount of dance practice and part-time job he has, it's almost impossible for him to have a proper rest. He barely even meet his friends outside of campus, frat parties moreover. His everyday life consists waking up, going to class, practicing, working, taking a shower, sleeping, until it becomes a cycle.


Luckily, class ends early today. He gets to hang around with his friends, which he never did for weeks, almost a month to be exact. Then he goes to this small, nice, and warm cafe where he works as a barista.

"Yah, Jongin-ah,"

He turns around. It's Chanyeol the happy virus.

"Man, you should change your lifestyle or something. You look like a zombie," the taller guy comments although he knows that Jongin won't listen to him anyway. "how many hours of sleep did you get last night?"

"Ugh, Yeol, you sound like a girlfriend," Jongin frowns at the fellow worker.

"What's wrong with you, hyung? You weren't like this when we were in high school," the younger guy, Sehun who's in charge of pastry, joins the conversation.

"Things changed, Se—" Jongin stops talking when he's being pulled into a hug. "Sehun-ah,"

"You feel alone, don't you, hyung? Can you feel the love now? Poor hyung,"

Chanyeol cringes, but ends up laughing at those two. It's funny how the 4D Sehun and the stubborn, cold, ignorant Jongin are best friends. How they're completely the opposite and have nothing in common but dancing. With only one similarity, they somehow managed to be the bestest friends with a strong bond which makes them inseparable.

"Okay, that's enough Oh Sehun, thank you," Jongin says as he pushes Sehun slowly.


The bell above the door chimes. She looks busy with the pink iPad and handbag she's carrying, but she manages to push the door by her own anyway. You could smell strawberries as she flicks her hair and... Oh God, her hair looks so shiny and smooth and silky that you want to it. Jongin wasn't paying attention when she walks through the door, but he could smell her strawberry scent from afar.

"Hello, what can I do for you?" Chanyeol asks, not realizing he grins too much as he's staring this person who's in front of him now. He's not the only one, though. Even Sehun looks in awe, that's new for him.

Jongin, who hasn't put on his apron yet, doesn't pay attention to the customer at all.

"ONE TALL, HOT, NON-FAT GREEN TEA LATTE,"

"Coming up!" Jongin rushes to make the order. As time passes, he  actually enjoys working at this cafe. He likes it when the hot coffee's smell meets the freshly baked pastry's. Absolutely perfect, he thinks.

The drink is ready, he puts it on the bar, was about to shout the customer's name when he realizes the name he's looking right now is familiar. Way too familiar.

"Miss Tif—"

"Hey! Guess who you meet again today!" she says cheerfully, a little bit jumpy, and not even bothering to take her latte.

"Oh sh—, you're startling me! How did you get here? Are you stalking me or something?"

"Well, well, Jonginnie, I was actually expecting you to be less colder, but I guess some things just don't change, do they?" It still amazes him how her eyes would form into crescent moons when she's smiling, how her giggles sounds more melodious than a wedding bell, how everything she does never seems wrong to him.

He chuckles. "Do you go to work around here?"

She nods as she sips the drink through a small straw. "Yep, only two or three blocks from here, Nylon Magazine? By the way, since when did you work here? I never saw you before."

"Oh, what happened to psychologist? Or UNICEF?"

"You said it yourself, you don't need to work in an organization to help people, right? Wait, you haven't answered my question,"

He hasn't answered her question, but time is ticking, the business is still running. "I usually work at night or midnight. Hey, um, sorry to remind you, but, the manager has been looking at me for the whole time, so, I think I should go,"

"Oh yeah, sure, sorry for disturbing you," she covers , feeling ashamed. No, not at all, Stephanie. "well, then, I should get going too."

Chanyeol, who has been watching the whole scene, nudges Jongin, mouthing 'what are you doing? ask her number!' "W-wait!"

She stops from walking and turns around. "Can I have your number?"





☂☂☂





It's been two weeks since their last meeting. Tiffany is busy preparing for the magazine's upcoming issue, while Jongin is busy preparing a dance performance for his exam. Both of them has a really few time to rest; Tiffany often stays at the office until dawn, Jongin even sleeps at the practice room. But, with those text messages (Jongin's "stop dieting, geez, eat!", "it's not safe to go home at this hour, just stay at your friend's place", "ok, whatever, just let me know when you've got home safely" or Tiffany's "don't overslept at the practice room again!!", "stop pushing yourself too hard, jonginnie") they manage to survive the day anyway.

"I'm just wondering, will you ever stop flirting with this kid, um, what's his name again?" Jessica stops from eating her kanimayo salad as she observes her bestfriend.

Tiffany widens her eyes in shock. "What? I'm not!"

"Believe me, Tiff, you are. You guys text each other, like 24/7. Well, I don't mind actually. I mean, it's been a while to see you this happy after what Khun did to you. You should go for it,"

"Jess. I used to babysit him, okay? And he's like, the same age as your sister. Do I look like a cougar or something? No, Jess, just, no."

"Well, he's a hot catch, Tiff. I know you think the same way, too, admit it. I mean, if Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher could make it happen, why can't you?"

"You know what, Jess? I think it's time for you to stop having a Cougar Town or Desperate housewives marathon," Tiffany says, before leaving Jessica to avoid more teasing coming from her.





☂☂☂





It's the day. Jongin takes a deep breath and stares nervously at the stage. Oh , he mumbles. He's been to numerous competitions or auditions, but his stage fright will always be there with him. He's been shaking his hands, pacing back to forth (his dance coach, Yunho, keeps nagging him. "Jongin-ah, stop moving. You're gonna wet your clothes even before the performance starts!"). Then he tries to sit down at the changing room, but his legs won't stop shaking either.

1 new message.

He's not really in the mood to text someone or just to hold his phone at this time. It's probably Sehun, he thinks. But, he decides to give it a try, thinking it'll reduce his nervousness.


From: Tiffany

Not sure if you still have a stage fright, but, I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't be nervous! Good luck! I'm watching~



Well, you just doubled it. He's still nervous but, thanks to her text message, he feels a lot better. And he just can't wait to impress her, again, with another dance performing.


He receives a huge applause from the audience, while his favorite people (including Tiffany) give him standing ovations. His teachers also look satisfied with his performance. He bows to the audience in front of him before rushing out to the backstage. It was probably one of his best performances and he couldn't be more thankful that all of his hard work didn't go to waste. He quickly changes his clothes and go to the committee room to listen to the principal's speech, receive a bucket of flowers, yada yada.

The cold, breezing air pierces his body as soon as he gets out of the building. He looks around, hoping to see one of his friends or at least someone he knows. There are still a lot of people, mostly parents bragging their children for showing good performances. His heart stings a little bit, he misses his parents, his family.

"Hyung! That was a really cool performance!" Sehun says cheerfully, putting his arm around Jongin's shoulder. "You improved so much!"

"Yeah, Jongin-ah, I didn't know you can dance that well!" Chanyeol joins the conversation as he ruffles Jongin's hair. The three bestfriends are enjoying their bonding time too much that they forgot about someone else. She doesn't mind, she watches them, smiling.

"Uh, uhm," Jongin scoffs and turns to his cold usual self as soon as he realizes her presence. Judging from his actions, his bestfriend know what they have to do. They bid a farewell before leaving.

Now, it's just the two of them.

"Hey," they say at the same time. She lets out a laugh. "I just wanted to say that you've done a really great job, I'm impressed once again." He smiles and bows in reply.

"Well, I guess I'm gonna get going,"

"Is it okay if I walk you home?" he carefully asks.

She tilts her head, feeling confused. "I'm okay, Jongin, I'm a grown up now. I should be the one who's worrying you."

"But, still, it's not safe for a girl or female or woman, to go home at this hour alone, you know that," he smirks. That moment, Tiffany had to admit, she feels something weird. Something off. But it also feels good at the same time.

"Do you ever get tired, Jongin?"

Why should I be tired when everything about you lightens up my day? He shakes his head. "Now, come on," he takes her hand. The weather is still cold, but her hand brings warmth to his body. 


The road is quiet. There aren't any loud sounds (no car horns whatsoever, you still can hear cars and motorcycles pacing around, though), so it's really nice how they can only hear each other's voice. It's also amusing how when they are left alone, when there's only the two of them, it's like, them against the world. They don't really pay attention to their surroundings, they just talk, talk, talk, and talk until their eyes are heavy.

"So, this is it," Tiffany stops walking. "thanks for walking me home, it's really nice of you,"

Jongin looks surprised when she says that, happily surprised. "Uh, yeah, sure," he stutters. "well, have a good night sleep, Tiff,"

"Oh wait, here," Tiffany hands him his jacket. "thank you, once again."

"Um, actually I've been wondering... Can we do this again next time?"

Tiffany looks a little bit hesistant. No, it isn't wrong. But she's afraid if they spend more time together, the more she opens up her heart to him. That's what terrifies her. Falling in love with... Wait, what. No, no, it's not love she's feeling right now. Oh, . You used to babysit him, for God sake.

"Uh, yeah, sure, why not?" Jessica would totally make fun of me if she finds out.

Jongin couldn't be more happy. "Ok then, rest well, Tiff," he says, patting her head, also her hair while he got the chance.

"Hey! I'm older than you!"

"Well, but I'm taller than you now," Jongin stucks his tongue out before leaving. She makes this I'm-so-gonna-get-you gesture while he's pretending like he's afraid of her.

Now that he's not anywhere near her sight, she sighs. "I'm so doomed."





☂☂☂





"Are you dating him?" Jessica asks in the middle of their preparation for meeting.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not? Now, if you excuse me, I have an actual work to do," she groans as she walks in a hurry to the meeting room.

"W-wait!" Jessica shouts, not giving up to find an answer. "If you're not, then why is he taking you to meet his parents?"

Tiffany stops in front of door. "I don't know, okay? We were neighbours, so, I guess it's like a little a reunion or something. So, now, will you stop asking?" 

"But—"

Before Jessica gets to finish her sentence, Tiffany puts her finger on her lips meaning to tell her bestfriend to shut up.



Jongin offered to pick her up after the meeting. She told him to meet her at the cafe near her office (she doesn't want her co-workers to give them a weird look and then start bad mouthing them, because she's sure that's gonna happen). 

The thing is, none of them sure about what they're doing right now. Yes, Jongin would pick her up every time they hang out, Tiffany would kiss his cheeks before entering her apartment and tell him she had a good time, Jongin would put his arm around her shoulder, and those become a habit.

One time, Tiffany went to his place to cook for him and his friends (he had to remind Chanyeol that wearing a boxer in front of a girl is inappropiate, remind Sehun not to leave his shoes on the carpet, and simply warn them not to make any disturbance while Tiffany was there). Jongin's plans were running well, he even braved himself to kiss her that night. He leaned in closer, closer, and closer until... "BLOODY HELL, SEHUN-AH, GET RID OF THAT COCKROACH!" Damn you, Chanyeol.

"Hey, hello?" she waves her hand in front of Jongin. "Why are zooming out? Did I make you wait too long?"

He startled. "N-nothing. Um, you ready?" She nods in reply. "Great, let's go."
 
Jongin's parents are sitting on the terrace when they arrived. Tiffany bows and Jongin's mom hugs her right away, she cups her face as she tells her how time passes so fast and she misses her so much, even forgetting about her son. The house still feels the same, still looks the same, except there are more Jongin and his sister's graduation photos added.

"So, how's life been treating you, Tiffany?" Mrs. Kim opens up a conversation as she takes a sip of her tea.

"It's been okay, I guess," she replies. "how about you and Mr. Kim?"

Jongin goes upstairs, telling his sister that her favorite unnie is coming over for a visit. She has this huge smile and then she runs immediately to the living room. She's ten years old now. So when she hugs Tiffany, Tiffany is surprised by how big she is. She treats her like her own sister.

Seeing this beautiful scene, Mrs. Kim can't help but ask. "Do you have any plans to get married already?"

Jongin and Tiffany stiffen hearing the question. Both of them have a bad feeling, they know this is not going to end well. She lets out an awkward laugh.

"Do you have a boyfriend right now?" Mrs. Kim continues to ask.

"Umm..." This time, Tiffany secretly glances at Jongin, he does the same thing too. They both know they are something, something more than childhood neighbours like everyone knows. They don't even know what they're doing the whole time or what relationship they have, all they know is that they're gonna be just fine as long as they have each other's back, as long as Jongin could see and hear her giggles, as long as Tiffany could feel the warmth and chills everytime he holds her hands.

"Come on, honey, isn't it too much too ask about that? I mean, it's our first meeting after years. Why don't we ask our son instead?" Mr. Kim who has finished talking on the phone with his business partner joins the conversation.

"Ah of course, Jonginnie! Jongin-ah, you don't get yourself overworked, do you?"

"Mom, please..."

"Tiffany, do you know someone who's around his age? I've told him to get a—"

"Mom!" he cuts the conversation. "Can we... stop talking about this?"

Mrs. Kim looks quite surprised and confused by her son's action, but she stops talking anyway.



This is probably the most quiet journey they've ever had for the past few months. The wind is chilling, but Jongin doesn't dare to put his arm around her shoulder or take her hand after what happened.

"Here we are," Jongin says as they arrive in front of Tiffany's apartment building. "have a good night sl—"

"I think we should stop seeing each other."

"W-What?"

Tiffany doesn't response. Jongin freezes, no, not because of the chilly wind. He could feel tears forming in his eyes. He tries so hard to hold it all in, he refuses to think about the idea of losing her again. Because this time, if it happens again, things won't be the same anymore. Because when the first time it happened, they were just neighbours, they were just like brother and sister.

"Why are you doing this?" he finally manages to say, with his voice shaking.

"B.. Because, we both know this isn't going to work. Because we both know this is wrong, but we refuse to accept the fact. Both of us will get hurt in the end—"

"Then don't end it, God!" he shouts in frustation. "Why are you even thinking of us ending?"

She sighs deeply, she doesn't want to say this, but she has to. "I used to babysit you, we were like brother and sister. Your parents would totally against us. Maybe that what makes things between us complicated, Jongin. That what makes all of this feels wrong. Maybe things would be better if we were strangers, maybe,"

"Just because we're not ideal, just because we're different than most people, that doesn't mean all of this is wrong, Tiffany. Love is not something that can be decided whether it's wrong or right. I thought you know that,"

"Jongin-ah," she smiles sadly as she his cheeks. "there are plenty of girls out there who's better than me, and I'm sure your mom would love her too—"

"Stop talking about that ," he snorts. "do not ever talk about OTHER girls, it has to be you, Tiff, it has to," he says with his lips trembling.

She doesn't say anything further. They both exchange sad smiles, cherishing every moment they have right now.

"Good bye, Jongin-ah," she says as she kisses his cheeks and leaves.

"Seriously, just like that? It's over?" She stops from walking and turns around. 


"We would hurt each other even more if we don't."





☂☂☂





It's nine in the morning when a call wakes him up.

"Good morning sunshineeee!" says someone with a deep voice from the next line.

He tries to open his eyes, groaning heavily. "What the do you want, Chanyeol?"

"Nothing, man, stop being so pressed. You're not teaching today, are you? You know, Sehun misses you so much, coming over to the cafe won't hurt you, right?"

"No, I'm not!! Chanyeol hyung just made it up!"

He lets out a laugh. Damn, I miss these two. "Okay, okay, see you guys later," he clicks the red button.

"Morning, Monggu-ya," he says as he walks to the refrigerator  to get some orang juice.

Ever since he moved out from Chanyeol and Sehun's place, he decided to get himself a pet to keep him company. He doesn't work at the cafe anymore. His teacher from the campus offered him a job at his friend's dance institution, and Jongin just couldn't say no to anything related to dancing. The sallary is better, enough to get him a place with better services than the previous one, also closer to the institution. He asked Chanyeol and Sehun if they wanted to come with him, but they refused, saying "You worked hard for that, Jongin-ah, you deserve it. We.. We're gonna be just fine here."

He just got out of the shower when he heard someone was knocking at the door. He couldn't be more surprised seeing this person in front of him. It's been two years, two empty years. 

"T-Tiffany," he stutters. She smiles in reply. The smile that Jongin has been longing for the whole time. "come in,"

He shoo Monggu away from the couch to let her sit. "I don't mean to be rude, but what brings you here and how did you find out about this place?" he says. He's still hurt about their last meeting, but he just can't be mean to her.

"I visited the previous place, then the tall guy, who's his name again? Chanyeol? Yeah, he told me you've moved out, so yeah, here I am," he nods as he pours the orange juice into the glasses.

Tiffany observes the place. Chanyeol told her about everything, how Jongin worked so hard for this, how Jongin had been doing after they got separated. She looks at the small table placed next to the couch, it has a few photo frames on it. A family photo, a photo of them and his sister on Disneyland, and a photo of him with a girl... which is not her.

"Told you, you'd find a better girl," she smiles. It hurts actually, but she has to hide it.

Jongin slams the glass onto the kitchen table, thank God it doesn't shatter into pieces. "She's not... better than you,"

Silence.

Jongin then takes a sit beside her, only to realize that something is off. He stares at her from head to toe. Her cheeks look bloated, she looks chubbier. Did she stop her diet? That's a good thing. He thought everything was okay until he noticed a small bump on her stomach. This can't be... No, no way. No way in hell. He knows what it is, he ing knows. But he keeps on denying what the brain tells him.

"You eat a lot these days, don't you?"

"What?"

"Just tell me that you eat a lot these days and that you got fatter,"

"I'm—"

"Just say yes, Tiff. Say it so my brain would stop telling me something that is not true," he snaps.

She takes a deep breath. "What your brain tells you is right, Jongin."

He throws the remote control to the wall. He kicks the coffee table in front of him.

"!" he shouts in frustation. "Who did this to you, Tiff? Who ing did?!"

"Jongin....."

"I can treat you better than this, Tiffany! I can treat you way better than this! I respect you! I respect you too ing much!" 

Her tears are about to fall. "I know, Jongin, I know you do... But, he's trying to be responsible, too. I'm... marrying him, and I want you to come." 

"After what he's done to you?! Damn! He doesn't even respect you like I do!" he throws a fist at the wall.

"Then what do you want, Jongin?! You want my child to have no father? That's the solution?"

Jongin shuts his mouth for a while. "I... I cou—"

"Oh, no. No. No way, Jongin. No."

"B-but—"

She gets up from the couch, approaching him. "Listen to me, Jongin-ah," she says as she his cheek and hair. "you've got a long way to go. I know you will have a bright future, I know you will get your dreams come true. Don't ruin all of that because of me, you understand? You have a beautiful girlfriend, don't let her make the same mistake like I do, okay?"

He doesn't dare to talk, afraid that tears would fall from his eyes. "Can I do something for the first and the last time?"

"What is it?"

She doesn't get an answer, she gets a kiss instead, a kiss on the lips that they've never had. He's never been good with words, so he lets her know by a kiss; anger, love, hurt, frustation.

He rests his forehead on hers. This time, it's him who's her cheeks. "I will never stop loving you, ever."





☂☂☂





It's the day. The day that both of them don't want to come.

"You don't have to come if you don't feel like it, Jongin-ah," Chanyeol says when Jongin is getting ready. Sehun and him decided to pick Jongin up because they know it'll be too much for Jongin to handle.

"I'm okay," he mutters.

"Yeah, hyung, don't push yourself too hard," Sehun advices.

Jongin grabs the tuxedo. "I'm fine. Let's go."



Tiffany's father hugs him as soon as he's arrived and takes him to the bride's room. He says no, but Tiffany's father keeps on insisting, "Come on, Jongin. You're not a stranger, after all. You're my son, you're a family.

He takes a deep breath before entering the bride's room. 

He stares at this beautiful human being in front of him. Ever seen an angel in the most beautiful wedding dress? Yes, that's how she looks like right now.

"Hey,"

"Oh, hi, you're here!" she says cheerfully.

There are only the two of them in the room.

"Can I ask you one question?" he asks hesitantly.

"Yeah?"

"Do you marry him only because he made you get pregnant or you really love him?"

She stares at the younger guy. She knows she doesn't; not really, but she won't let him know. So she decides to tell a lie.

"I love him," she smiles tenderly. She's good at lying.

His heart stings, it shatters into pieces. He feels numb. But, he won't let her know either. So another lie comes out of his mouth.

"Good. Live a happy life, will you?"







If happy ever after did exist, I would still be holding you like this
All those fairy tales are full of
One more ing love song, I'll be sick