First Kiss

First Kiss

Holy crap. It was going to happen. It really was going to happen.

The palms of my hands were sweating as I scrunched the fabric of my skirt. He was getting closer to me. I could feel his breath nearing inch by inch, my heart beating more violently. His nose brushed against mine and soon enough the magic would happen. Fireworks would explode, birds would be singing around me, and I would experience my first true kiss.

“Wait, hold on,” he spoke.

My eyes shot open and I saw Kris’s face move further away.

“Should we really be doing this?” he asked.

Waves of disappointment rushed in me and I looked away. Here we were, two high school students, who had been dating for almost a year and we haven’t even had our first kiss as a couple yet. We had planned this day for weeks already. Actually, Kris suggested it—to have our first kiss on this day—but it was just going wrong. All wrong.

I sighed. “I’ll just head home.”

I got up, grabbing my bag and headed to the door. Kris could see that I was upset and held my hand.

“You don’t have to leave yet,” he murmured.

“Kris, your parents will be home any moment now,” I reasoned, “and who knows what they’ll do if they find just the two of us, alone, together, at your house.”

“Okay, fine.” Kris looked away as I slipped on my shoes. “You’re not mad at me are you?”

I bit my lip. “I’m not mad. Just disappointed.”

I opened the door and walked out, hearing Kris call my name. However, I kept moving forward.

My heart sank as the elevator led me down to the first floor. This was not how I imagined it. Everyone always talked about how their first kiss was beyond wonderful. It was one of those things I looked forward to as a teenager but here I was, only on the verge of getting mine. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen at all.

It was already growing dark outside and my house was half an hour away if I walked. Taking a deep breath, I started to venture down the road when I felt his hands interlace with mine.

“Let me walk you home at least.” Kris suddenly appeared beside me.

I pulled my hand away from him. A look of sadness swept over his face. “It’s okay, Kris. I can go by myself.”

He persisted, holding my hands once again. “It’s not safe for you to walk by yourself, especially when it’s getting so dark already.”

Kris pulled me along without a word and I up trailed right behind him as he led me down the road and in the direction toward my house.

The evening air was still rather warm and despite all the city noise around us, I remained focused on Kris and his back. His hands were sweaty and I wondered if felt just as nervous as I was. Every now and then, he would turn his head, taking a peek at me but then continued to look forward. We weren’t even saying a word and it was killing me.

“Kris,” I muttered.

He continued to walk and it took some strength to stop him.

“Kris,” I called out again.

“What?” He looked at me, breathless even though we weren’t running.

“We’re going the wrong way.”

Kris was disheveled as he observed the settings around him. We had missed a turn earlier and I could see him mentally beat himself up about it.

“Sorry, I wasn’t thinking straight,” he muttered.

“It’s okay. I know a shortcut through here anyway.”

I led him through a narrow alleyway, walking slowly and quietly so that I could hear his footsteps behind me. The silence between us was heavy and I didn’t even understand why. Were we even mad at each other?

“Is it because of me?” I suddenly asked.

“What?”

“Is it because of me that we didn’t kiss? Do I have bad breath?”

“You, idiot,” he muttered playfully.

With one swift motion, he turned me around and had me against the wall. His face was close to mine, his breath just hovering over my skin. My heart raced.

“It’s not you,” he continued, “it’s me. It’s because of me. I just blinked out right in that moment. I mean, I get to kiss you, which made me nervous all of a sudden. I didn’t know what came over me and I stopped and now I don’t really know what I’m saying…”

“Then close your eyes,” I whispered in his ear.

He hesitated but finally closed his eyes shut. Tip-toeing as much as I could, I wrapped my arms around his neck, tilting my head for the perfect angle. He leaned in down, his arm wrapped around my waist. I didn’t know what I was doing but I found my lips on his—a simple peck. I was about to pull away but Kris leaned in even closer, suddenly taking the lead.

It felt exhilarating. The pressure of his lips on mine was warm and had a way of making my knees grow weak. His mouth caressed mine before gliding on my upper lip and then sliding against my own tongue.

Was this flying? I wasn’t sure. I felt like I was soaring though my feet were touching the ground. Our lips touching felt like breathing, his arms around me were warmer than a winter sweater. A connection was being made as nerves ran up and down my spine and I didn’t want it to stop. This was dreaming without sleep.

With all his might, Kris pulled back and gazed into my eyes. “So, how was it?”

Amazing. Perfect. Better than I imagined.

“It was okay,” I replied.

“Okay?” He was taken aback with that stab to his ego. “That’s it? Only okay?”

I giggled.

“You need to stop teasing me,” Kris said. He sent me a playful glare before smiling at me. “Was it that bad though?”

“It was everything I ever wanted and more,” I assured him. “But…”

“But?”

“But next time you initiate it, okay?”

“Fine. Then close your eyes,” he whispered into my ear.