Chapter 32

Invidiam

                A few days later, Sorotsu’s phone woke her up. She didn’t pay any attention to the ringtone and she answered it sleepily. “Hello?” “Hey kid.” She perked up. He dad was calling her from America. “Did I call you too early again?” She looked at the clock and it said it was a little before 7 am. Joon came out of the bathroom in a towel, preparing to leave for his schedule. He was brushing his teeth. “It’s not too early, so what’s up?” “I just wanted to tell you that I bought my ticket to Seoul and my plane is leaving in two hours. I will arrive there at 4am your time.” “WHAT!!!??”

She was shocked. Not only did her dad get impatient, but he was arriving at 4am. “Of course, you don’t have to meet me at the airport. I understand. Will you make my regular hotel reservation for me? I haven’t done it yet. This was a spur of the moment decision.” She sighed; her dad never planned things ahead of time and just did them. Joon sat on the bed listening to her phone call while still brushing his teeth.

“Of course I will make your reservation. I will also be there to pick you up at the airport.” “You’re a good kid, I have to go through customs now. I will talk to when I see you! Bye!” He hung up before she could say bye. She hung up her phone and sighed. Joon talked with the toothbrush still in his mouth. “Who wafsh dat?” she laughed at him mumbling and scratched her head. “That was my dad. He just randomly decided to buy a plane ticket and will be arriving here at 4am.”

Joon started coughing and ran to the bathroom to rinse his mouth. “4am! Tonight??” She nodded as she ruffled her hair up some more. He went over his schedule in his head. “That’s only half an hour after my schedule finishes. MBLAQ has a night time photo shoot tonight.” She smiled at him. “I can go meet him on my own. You don’t have to come.” Joon nodded and kissed her forehead.

They heard a knock at the front door. Sorotsu went to answer it as Joon flailed around trying to get dressed. Sorotsu opened the door in her pajamas smiling at Seungho who had come to get Joon to hurry up. “He’s getting dressed.” She said as she let him in and walked to the kitchen for some water.

Seungho walked right into the bedroom as Joon had his pants half way on. “Joon-ah! You’re late!” Joon fumbled around with his pants and nodded. “I know! Sorotsu’s dad called and I was distracted listening. He is coming to Korea. He will be here at 4am.” Seungho looked at the kitchen with a shocked expression. Sorotsu was drinking some of the juice out of the carton and paused and wiped . Seungho raised an eyebrow at her. “What?” she asked confused.

Seungho laughed a bit. “Well, I hope your dad arrives safely. Joonie-ah!! Hurry up or we will leave without you.” Joon yelled from the room. “I’m coming!!” He ran to Sorotsu as Seungho left to the van. He kissed Sorotsu on the cheek and drank some of the juice from the carton she was holding and handed it back. “I will see you later!” He slid his shoes on and grabbed his backpack and ran out to the van.

She smiled and went back to drinking out of the carton and put it back in the fridge and made a bowl of cereal. She sat in front of her computer and called to make her dad a reservation. She then began working.

Sorotsu looked at the clock and it was 11pm. She figured she might as well get ready to go get her dad. She took a shower and got dressed in pajama pants and t-shirt and sleepily dried her hair. She picked up around the house and tried to keep herself busy so she wouldn’t fall asleep. She the TV and mindlessly watched it. Around 3am her phone went off. It was a text from Joon. ‘I hope you’re awake and ready to go get your dad. You don’t want to be late! <3’ she smiled and put her shoes on and took a cab to the airport.

She arrived around 15 minutes before the flight was supposed to land. She checked to make sure the flight was on time and then found a place to sit and wait. She put her headphones in and watched out the window, watching for when the flights arrived. Suddenly she was grabbed from behind.

Joon grinned at her as Mir climbed over the back of the seat and sat next to her. She took her headphones out and saw that all of MBLAQ and Byoungki came. She laughed “How come all of you came to greet my dad?” Seungho and Thunder sat across from her. Seungho sighed and smiled tiredly “He wanted to get here in time and if we went to the dorm first then he would be late.” She just realized that they had their photo shoot makeup on still but had changed into comfy clothes that she assumed were their practice clothes.

Their makeup was similar to the makeup in the Cry MV but everyone besides Joon was wearing sweatpants. Seungho had a shirt with the sleeves ripped off, G.O and Mir had t-shirts on and Thunder had a hoodie and hat on over a tank top. Joon had Jeans and a button up shirt on that was only half tucked in. Sorotsu looked at herself and sighed.

The airport announced her dads’ flight had arrived. She automatically jumped up and looked out the window. Mir smiled and looked out the window too “Sorotsu-ssi, how long has it been since you last saw your dad?” She smiled and looked at him “It’s been about a year and a half.”

They saw people coming out of customs with their luggage. Sorotsu ran to get by the door that they came out and stood out of the way, waiting. MBLAQ and Byoungki came and waited near her. The members of MBLAQ seemed nervous. Byoungki just stood there checking things on his phone. Sorotsu was excited. The women who came out of the doors would giggle and point at MBLAQ who smiled and waved awkwardly.

A man in a black hoodie with skulls on it, dark blue jeans and a pair of tennis shoes came out. Sorotsu suddenly perked up. “DAD!” she yelled out in English, causing some random strangers to look at them. Her dad smiled as she walked up to him and stopped a foot away. She looked at his face intently, pretending to frown. “You look old.”

Her dad laughed as the members of MBLAQ looked shocked. They understood that sentence. The members of MBLAQ had ended up lined up. Sorotsu turned back towards them and pointed “Dad, this is MBLAQ and their manager Byoungki.” He smiled and walked up to Byoungki and shook his hand. He then stood directly in front of Thunder and put his hand out to shake it. Thunder awkwardly took his hand and was about to bow but her dad put his hand on his shoulder to keep him from bowing. Her dad surprised them by suddenly speaking Korean. “You must be Joon. I was told a lot about you. She told me that you were the most attractive one in MBLAQ and she was right.”

Everyone besides Joon, Thunder and Sorotsu started laughing. Thunder smirked “Ah, no sir. I’m Sanghyun.” Sorotsu covered her face with one hand and shook her head. Joon stepped out of line and bowed to her dad. “Hello, Sir. I am Lee Changsun, or Joon, and I am your new son-in-law. I will take care of your daughter. I’m sorry for marrying her without your permission.”

Her dad started laughing and raised Joon up so. “I know who you are. I’m just messing with you guys. Sorotsu can marry whoever she wants. I trust her judgment. As long as you don’t hurt her, I have no problem.” Seungho bowed slightly at her dad. “We can do our introductions for you, if you would like sir.” He looked at Sorotsu who was trying to hide behind his rolling suitcase. He backed up a little bit and smiled and nodded at them.

Seungho motioned for them all to get in line. They all spoke in unison “WE ARE.” They bowed “MBLAQ!” Seungho began. “I am MBLAQ’s leader Seungho. Hello.” Next was G.O, “I am MBLAQ’s lead vocalist G.O. Nice to meet you.” Then was Joon, “I am MBLAQ’s lead dancer Joon. I hope you will take care of me in the future.” Thunder introduced himself, “I am MBLAQ’s visual Thunder. I’m happy to meet you.” Mir was last, “I am MBLAQ’s maknae Mir. We all love your daughter!”

Thunder pushed Mir’s head as Sorotsu’s dad laughed and the other members glared at him. Sorotsu’s dad grinned at all of them. “I am Sorotsu’s father, Kaiba, but you guys can just call me dad if you would like. I have always wanted sons.” The members all nodded, that explained a lot about Sorotsu. Sorotsu was sitting on the floor next to her dads’ suitcase and was leaning on it sleepily. Byoungki sighed “It’s almost 5am and you all have a schedule at 11am. We should hurry and get going. Sir, we can take you to your hotel for you.”

He nodded and turned to look at his suitcase and Sorotsu had fallen asleep. Everyone laughed and Joon automatically picked her up gently. Her dad wasn’t used to seeing another man taking care of his daughter besides Kai. Mir grabbed his suitcase and they led him out to the van. Mir, Thunder and G.O sat way in the back. Her dad sat in the front passenger seat and Seungho and Joon sat in the middle. Joon had Sorotsu asleep in his arms. Her dad told Byoungki what hotel to go to. He turned and laughed at his sleeping daughter. “That girl does sleep a lot doesn’t she?” Everyone nodded.

He sighed and looked forwards. “I’m surprised that girl has survived this long on her own, since Kai went into the dorms.” Everyone looked at him interested. He smiled “She was still in high school when she got left in Korea alone. If Kai and his family didn’t live next door at that time, she would have come with me to America when her mom left. The whole time she was in high school, everyday Kai would wake her up for school. The first 6 months, he would come over every morning and bribe her awake with breakfast. After he got into SM, he would call her every morning until she would wake up, no matter if he had been training all night. When she was in 10th grade, he was only in 7th grade. I was so nervous that her whole high school career was based on if a middle-schooler could wake her up. I’m very glad this child has you guys now, she was alone without Kai.”

Joon smiled at her and held her close. They arrived at the hotel and Seungho got out and grabbed the suitcase for him. Her dad waved at them and went into the hotel. Seungho got into the front seat and G.O moved to Seunghos old seat. Mir laughed “I like her dad, he’s really cool.” Thunder leaned over towards Joon. “He said that he thought I was the best looking member.” He teased quietly so he wouldn’t wake up Sorotsu. Joon glared at him “You wanna die??” Soon they made it back to Sorotsu’s place.

Byoungki opened the door next to Joon for him. “Don’t forget, 11 am. Be ready.” Joon nodded and carried Sorotsu inside. He set her in the bed and covered her with the blanket. He removed the makeup from his face and put on a pair of short and a tank top and went to sleep wrapping his arm over her.

At 10am Joon’s alarm on his phone went off. He quickly turned it off and sat up. Sorotsu was still fast asleep. He smiled and went to shower. Joon heard a door open and assumed that Sorotsu must have woken up. He turned the water off and put a towel around his waist on one on his head. He started brushing his teeth and went back into the bedroom. He was shocked to see Sorotsu’s dad standing next to the bed holding a bag of doughnuts. Her dad was leaned over like he was about to wake her up. Both of them stared at each other awkwardly for a moment.

Joon was about to apologize but her dad laughed and straightened up. “Oh, you’re here?” Joon was speechless and bowed. The towel on his head fell to the floor and he tried to apologize again but realized his toothbrush was still in his mouth, then suddenly realized that he was in a towel and smiled awkwardly and ran back into the bathroom.

Joon sighed and rinsed his mouth. He then realized that all of his clothes were in the bedroom. He opened the door slowly and peeked out. Sorotsu was still sleeping but her dad wasn’t in the room. He carefully stepped into the room and got dressed quickly. He opened the bedroom door cautiously and saw her dad sitting on the couch flipping through the channels, the bag of doughnuts un-opened in front of him. “Ah! Joonie-goon. Good morning, I’m sorry for coming in on my own. I didn’t know you were here.”

Joon was in shock that he just called him Joonie-goon. “Uh, yeah. I’m sorry I was here.” Her dad looked at him confused “Why? You guys are married. I should have expected you to be here.” Joon nodded awkwardly and sat on the floor by the table. “So do you like your hotel room?” He nodded and started searching through the channels again. “Yeah, she always gets me the same one. I like it.” Joon nodded again. “Oh, Joonie-goon, those doughnuts are for you and the rest of MBLAQ. I was going to wake Sorotsu up and we were going to take them to you, but this saves me the trouble.” He laughed as he found a variety show.

Joon realized the time and panicked “Oh! I’m sorry, I have to get ready!” He ran back into the bedroom to finish getting ready. Sorotsu’s dad made himself comfortable in the living room.  Joon came back out and was putting his shoes on as there was a knock on the door. Joon bowed to her dad again and thanked him for the doughnuts and ran out the door. Her dad laughed and stretched out. “I guess I should let her sleep.” He laid on the couch and took a nap.

Sorotsu woke up and automatically went straight to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and drank some juice and started making cereal. She shuffled over to the couch half asleep and noticed the TV was already on. She looked at her couch and saw her dad asleep on it. “Dad… Why are you sleeping here?” She said sitting on the floor between the couch and table. Her dad sat up sleepily. “I got bored waiting for you to wake up and Joon left when I got here. When do you think I can meet his mom?”

Sorotsu shrugged her shoulders and started eating and watching the TV. She spoke while chewing. “I’m not sure when his schedule finishes today.” He sighed and watched the TV too. “When does he usually come home?” She continued eating her cereal. “It varies, some times he comes home in the afternoon and then sometimes it’s after midnight.” He nodded. “You should text him and ask if MBLAQ liked the Doughnuts.” She looked at him confused. “What?” He smiled “I brought doughnuts for MBLAQ. I forgot to get yours out of the bag when he took them.” She sighed and went to her room and grabbed her phone and texted Byoungki.

She sat back down by her cereal and waited for a response. Her phone vibrated. “It says his schedule is done at 5. He only has one interview today.” Her dad nodded. “Should we go play?” She looked at him confused. He laughed “You’re right, what was I thinking.” He stretched out on the couch again and put his feet up on the table. She put her dishes in the dishwasher and sat next to him on the couch. They just watched TV and caught up until Joon came home.

Joon came home around 5:30 and walked in to see Sorotsu and her dad playing video games. He noticed that Sorotsu was still in her pajamas and laughed at them. “You guys are very a like.” He said sitting on the floor next to Sorotsu. Both of them nodded without looking away from the TV. Sorotsu killed her dad for the game point and then their attention turned to Joon.

“Oh! Joonie-goon! Did they like the doughnuts?” Sorotsu looked at her dad oddly for calling him that. Joon laughed and nodded. “They said to say thank you.” He smiled with a content look on his face. “So when do you think your parents will be willing to meet me?”

Joon thought for a moment. “Umm… I will go call her and ask.” Joon went into the bedroom to call his mom and Sorotsu and her dad started to play another round. After a while Joon came back out smiling. “She says that the four of us can meet for dinner tonight.” Sorotsu elbowed her dad. “Behave!” He nodded. “I will treat it like a business meeting.”

Joon rushed Sorotsu into the bathroom. “Take a shower and blow dry your hair after.” He said as he handed her some towels. She laughed at how worried he was and did as she was told. Sorotsu suddenly started worrying. She remembered when Joon’s mom was on Oh! My school and she said that she wanted Joon to be with someone like IU or Kim Yuna. She was nothing like either of them. After washing her hair she just sat at the bottom of the shower, staring at her toes.

After about 20 minutes, Joon and her dad realized she was taking a really long shower. Joon wondered out loud. “I wonder why she is taking such a long shower.” Her dad sighed. “She is probably worried about something. She likes to sit in the shower when she’s worrying. She likes to do that when she is depressed too. One time when she was smaller, she was in the shower for over an hour crying and I found her sitting under the water that had already gone cold.” Her dad felt like he should tell him these things, because he knew that she would never tell him. Even Kai didn’t know about the shower thing.

Joon panicked thinking that she was in the shower crying. He went into the bathroom quickly, startling Sorotsu who was still sitting under the shower. Joon smiled at her “Are you ok?” She looked at him confused and suddenly realized the water was cold. She squeaked and turned off the water. “Sorry. I was in here too long.” Joon grabbed a towel and wrapped her in it. “You skin got cold.” He said as he pulled her against him, trying to warm her skin up. She sighed “My dad has been telling you things about me, hasn’t he.” Joon nodded. She smiled and rested her head on his chest.

“Let’s get you dressed.” He said as he led her to the bedroom. He closed the bedroom door and sat on the bed. “So what’s wrong?” She put on her underwear and started looking for a shirt. “I remembered something from when your mom was on Oh! My School. She wanted you to be with someone like Kim Yuna or IU. I can’t compete with them. What if she doesn’t like me?” Joon got up and wrapped his arms around her. “We are already married. If she doesn’t approve now, we can just make her approve later.”

Joon grabbed a shirt for her and put it on her. “Just relax and be yourself. I love you so she will too.” She smiled and kissed him softly. “Thank you.” She whispered. She bent down again to find some pants to wear. She put on some pants and went to go do her hair. Joon went back in the living room with her dad.  Her dad smiled “She was worried wasn’t she?” Joon nodded. He remembered what her dad told them last night about her being alone for so long and he wondered how many times she got sick from staying in a cold shower to long without realizing it.

She came back out and smiled at them. Her dad stood up and sighed. “Well should we get going then? I feel like its dinner time.” The couple laughed and followed him out to the taxi. “Joonie-goon, where are we supposed to meet her?” Joon told the taxi where to go.

They arrived at a restaurant and the three of them went inside. Joons mother had just gotten there and was sitting down. Joon smiled and ran up to his mom and greeted her. Joon introduced Sorotsu to her. Sorotsu bowed and introduced herself. His mom turned towards Joon smiling. “You should have introduced her to me right away.” Joon nodded and introduced her dad. Sorotsus dad bowed and gave a normal Korean greeting.

His mother sat down and Sorotsus dad sat down across from her. Joon sat down next to his mom and Sorotsu sat next to her dad. It was already awkward. Everyone was looking at the menus. Sorotsu was helping her dad with reading some of the words he had forgotten. Suddenly Joons mother asked Joon to take Sorotsu and go outside. Everyone looked shocked. Joon obeyed and took her outside.

The two of them sat on a bench and tried to read their parents reactions through the window. “Joon, why are we outside?” He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. I’ve never done this before.” They were watching intently when her dad closed the curtains on the window. They looked at each other with a scared look on their face. “What do we do?” She asked frantically. Joon put his arm around her and pulled her close. “We wait.”

They sat there silently when they realized the restaurant was playing music quietly. They heard Always Be Mine by FT Island start playing and they smiled. Sorotsu rested her head on his shoulder. Joon sighed “I have a feeling that everything will be fine.” She nodded.

A waiter came out and told them their parents were asking for them. They nodded and walked in holding hands. Joon pulled out her chair for her and then sat next to his mom. His mom smiled “I see that I raised you right.” Joon laughed and nodded. “Mom, why did you ask us to go outside?” Both parents grinned. Sorotsu’s dad laughed “Joonie-goon, it seems that me and your mom were classmates in college.” Both kids were shocked.

Both of the parents laughed at their kids reactions. His mom smiled at him and grabbed his hand. “Joon, I approve of this marriage. Sorotsu, please call me mom from now on.” Joon grinned excitedly and Sorotsu smiled at her. “Thank you! Please take care of me in the future.” Both parents nodded as their food arrived. The four of them happily ate.

Sorotsu’s dad suddenly turned to her “So when will I be able to walk you down the isle?” Sorotsu choked on her soup at the sudden question. Joon smiled. “We haven’t chosen a day yet. I was going to announce our engagement publically on SuKiRa if this meeting went well. So when do you guys think we should have it?”  Both parents thought for a moment. Joons mom smiled. “How about two weeks after you announce it, on a Sunday?”

Joon pulled out his phone and called Byoungki asking him about the schedule that day. “He said that I have that day free. So I can get on SuKiRa the day after tomorrow.” Everyone agreed on the day and they finished eating and started making some wedding plans.