Summertime Proposal

Moments in Time


   It was a warm June day. The sun streamed through your curtains, pleasantly warming your body and slowly waking you from your satisfying slumber. Rolling out of bed, you stretched lithely, like a cat, enjoying the rays that hit your skin. From the bedside table, you hear your phone ring to the tune of From U, the ringtone of your boyfriend, Kyuhyun. Smiling, you answer, cherishing the way his voice sounds in your ear.
   "You busy today?" he asked hopefully.
   "Nope!" you laugh. "I've got all the time in the world."
   "I'm picking you up in a half hour then. Wear something nice, but not too nice." you hung up, a little confused, but happy nonetheless. What could you be possibly doing?

   After your breakfast and shower, you stood in front of your closet. Something nice, but not too nice? Finally you settled on white shorts, a pink tank top, and your favorite sandals. Your hair looked good enough, and you only applied a little mascara before you heard a familiar knock on your door, and Kyuhyun's grinning face greeted you from the other side.
   "Are you ready?" he asked.
   "Absolutely. Just let me grab my purse." snatching it from the nearby chair, you shut and locked your door, following him to his car.

   "So...where are we going again?" you asked for probably the tenth time, hoping to trick the answer out of Kyuhyun. So far he had kept his lips zipped pretty well.
   "Nice try, babe, but you won't know until we get there." you huffed in your seat and looked out the window, but secretly smiling when Kyuhyun gazed at you while he drove. You loved him, no doubt about it. He was the perfect guy. Funny and sarcastic, yet sweet and loving at the same time. You loved that about him. The two of you could have a great time just doing nothing.
   A half hour later, Kyuhyun turned off the country road you had been on into what looked like a nature preserve. As you stepped out of the car, a beautiful breeze blew across your face, the sun only accompanied by a few puffy white clouds. Kyuhyun appeared by your side, carrying a basket and a blanket.
   "A picnic?" you ask excitedly, and he grins.
   "And I know the perfect place." The two of you strolled down the trails, hands entwined, resembling the tree roots that often crossed the path and tried to trip you up. Several times Kyuhyun had to catch you when your foot caught on the pesky things, but you both had a good laugh at your general clumsiness. Presently you reached a beautiful little grove of shady trees with a generous patch of soft-looking grass. "Here we are," he announced, setting down the basket and  helping you spread the blanket out.
   "This is gorgeous, Kyu," you said, lying back on the blanket and gazing up at the trees above.
   "Not as gorgeous as you," he said, sweetly kissing your cheek and lying next to you.
   "Shut up," you said, grinning, laying on his chest. You and Kyuhyun lay there for a while, enjoying the beautiful summer air and simply the feeling of being together. After your lunch of sandwiches (Ryeowook helped a little bit), watermelon, and lemonade, Kyuhyun suggested going to a little stream he had discovered nearby. Feeling energized from the meal, you agreed, and took his hand, following him through the woods.
   True to his word, a few minutes later you were standing on the banks of a clear, cold stream. The two off you took off your shoes and waded into the water.
   "Watch your pants, Kyu," you teased, and he stuck his tongue out at you as he rolled the ends up. "Oh, don't be like that. Smile!" You reached down and splashed water in his direction. A surprised look flashed across his features, but was quickly replaced with one of his evil smirks. You tried to run, but he splashed you back before you could get far enough away. Somehow he got way more water onto you than you got on him, and you quickly surrendered, not wanting to get completely soaked.
   "Hey, ______, let's go up there!" Kyuhyun pointed to a set of stairs that led to the top of a rock formation which looked over the creek.
   "Carry me?" You pouted cutely, hoping your aegyo would work on him like it always does.
   "Hop on," he sighed, turning around and bending down. You jumped on his back gleefully and wrapped your arms around his neck, his hands grasping your legs tightly.
   "Onward!" you shouted, pointing to the top, and Kyuhyun began his trek up the stairs.
   By the time the two of you reached the top, Kyuhyun was severely out of breath and you were laughing. You slid off his back, thanking him with a kiss and walking to the edge of the platform. He came up behind you and slid his arms around your waist and rested his chin on your shoulder as you admired the view.
   "Today has been perfect," you admitted, turning your head and kissing his cheek. "Thank you."
   "Well, there is one more thing we have to take care of before we leave," he said, pulling away and fishing in his pockets for something. You looked at him curiously, then your breath caught in your throat as he got down on one knee. "_____, you are without a doubt one of the best things that has ever happened to me. You are my other half, my best friend, my soulmate. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"
   He opened the ring box to reveal the most beautiful silver ring with a perfectly sized diamond in the center. Unable to speak, you simply nodded, a huge smile on your lips and tears welling in the corners of your eyes. He slipped the ring on your left ring finger and stood up, pulling you into his arms and leaning down to kiss you. Just in that one kiss you felt your emotions run wild with giddiness. You were going to be Mrs. Cho. Now that's what you call a perfect ending to a summer day.